Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Blueberry – Dates Yogurt Scones

 

 

 

 IMG_0110

 

Hey foodies..How's the spring treating you all..?Or,is it still winter chill in the neck of your woods?Well,ours is still cold n sun do peep out occasionally,but not enough to keep us warm..Hmmphh..:(

Well,so today I have two stuffs up my sleeve for the post..A yummy easy yogurt-based scone treat for you and also and announcement about an upcoming review in Will-O’-the-Wisp.Yes,a review..I haven’t done any reviews here before due to some or the other reason.But this time when CSN stores contacted me ,I was pretty excited about it.I guess,most of you might be familiar with Cookware.com ,a great place to find your dream kitchen items.It is a part of CSN Stores which sells everything from entertainment centers  to home decor items to cookware's and kitchen appliances.

Next Grilleration%99 Standard Grill with Griddle Plate

Well,you can find this awesome George Foreman Grill in their cookware section .Now,you know why am so thrilled..;)..So,you can expect a review of this cool thing out here,pretty soon..Watch out..!:)

 

 

IMG_0103-1

Now ,over to our scones..Well,usually I don't prepare scones very often.Our weekday breakfast is always cereals with fruits n weekend breakfasts are most probably traditional items,but last weekend we were in no mood for Dosa’s or appam’s or anything..Well,I was in no mood for elaborate cooking ,to be honest..:D..n then I thought of easy scones and I was all ready with the flour n all other stuff  n to my utter dismay,I found that am running short of milk..not even quarter a cup…Duh.!!!Ok,so I am not a person to turn back..I decided to go for yogurt scones and what do I see..No yogurt also..:P..I stamped my foot twice and was all going mad with hunger,and then I got the revelation that I have a tub of Yoplait Blueberry yogurt with me..Kissed my lil luck,off I grabbed that,a frozen blueberry bag,some organic dates and set off for this..After half an hour,we were having these yummy scones with some scrambled eggs n OJ..:)

Moral:Never quit ..hang on to your patience..(n to your spouse’s too..!) ;)

 

 

Ingredients(for 6 scones)

1 cup flour(I used 1/2 C Whole wheat bread flour+1/2 C AP Flour)

1 tbsp sugar(can skip ,as dates are sweet)

1/4 tsp salt

1/4 tsp Cinnamon powder

1 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp Baking soda

1 cup plain-fat free/flavored yogurt

1/2 egg white

1/2- 3/4 C blueberry n dates

2.5 tbsp cold butter

1 tsp Pure vanilla extract

 

 

IMG_0113

 

Method

In a deep prep bowl mix all the dry ingredients really well or pulse them in a Food processor for a few times till everything mixes well.

Add the butter n pulse again till its crumbly.If using hand,cut in the butter with  fork till crumbly.

Mean while mix well egg white,vanilla extract and yogurt and keep aside.

Add  the dates n blueberry to the flour and combine.

Mix the wet n dry ingredients with a spatula ,till a soft sticky dough is formed.Few blueberries may bleed,but that's ok..:)

Now roll out this dough with hand to a rough square.Cut scone shapes with your favorite cookie cutter or to plain squares.

Line your baking sheet with a silpat or parchment paper sprayed with cooking spray..

Arrange the scones on sheet.Brush the top with egg white/yogurt n bake for 15-20 mins till the outside is crispy and inside is chewy.

 

IMG_0115-1

Verdict: Yummy ..A perfect and easy-to-whip breakfast..The blueberries add some gorgeous color n flavor to the scones and my blueberry yogurt deepened the flavor.Dates were pleasant sweet surprises in between..This can be a great snack too for rainy evenings to bite on with a cuppa hot capuccino..:)

See ya all soon..:)

 

hugs

xoxo

StumbleUpon
 
Creative Commons License
Will-O'-the-Wisp is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
.