Thursday, October 1, 2009

Hot n Tangy Chicken Stir fry – Kozhi Varuthathu….!!!

 

 

 

 

Picture 2097

 

 

All you chicken lovers,I can see you drooling big time now..yeah..This is what I had for lunch today..The taste n the compliments I got made me quite impulsive,n I brushed aside the one I had in draft to post today n brought this one out..:) Its super cold here,n all I wanted was some spicy hot non veg dish n what other than chicken to feed my cravings.Compared to other meats,chicken is really clean ,lean n easy to fix.Yesterday when we went for shopping,I just threw in a pack of sliced chicken breasts mindlessly into my cart,never even imagining for once the craving, this chillness is going to give me today..n today morning,I opened my patio to check out my thriving daisies who is pretty much sulking drooping in the cold and.. a blast of cold air hit me,shook me off the feet..Gosh..goosebumps of the year..:P From the one,my tummy started begging me on its feet (now,howsat possible..aarghh..:D) for spicy kick.I thought of the ‘n’ number of ways in which I can make it,n I usually make it.No,tummy said..I want it spicy fried black,but oh yeah I want some caramelized onions n curry leaves..not to mention it should be tangy too..huh..!..n then this materialized..just threw in all the good stuffs that I could think of,n well nothing can really go wrong with chicken right….:)

 

 

Picture 2103

 

Before I go into the recipe part,many thanks to Foodbuzz for sending me the Natures Pride Bread..2 loaves of goodness..Unlike the other brands,these ones have liberally used the grains n the loaves are soft n rich like the home made.Friends,do check it out..:) We are having a bread mela here..As  we have bread only for breakfast,am making it in all possible ways,every morning.Thanks you guys at FB,for sending us such awesome stuffs(like the last loot at Asianfoodgrocer.com) regularly n making us bask in the glory of J looks…;) (Oh yea...that happens usually when the Fedex guys drops things at my door n I go to pick it up..:D ).

Ok..lets go to the recipe ..:)..As I told this was an impulsive dish with things that we usually use..I used 2 breast slices cut into small pieces for this,will try to convert the spice measurements as close as possible.I know you’ll use it according to your hot tolerance level..:)..Also ,as I used a small amount it was easy to fry n the whole thing was fixed up in a jiffy.For shallow frying,breast pieces are the best as the other bony pieces will stick up without touching oil.So obviously if you are also not a no-to-deep-fry person like me try this with soft white meat slices,though other types will also do just as or more good,but will have to use lil more oil..

 

 Picture 2093

 

Ingredients

1 lbs chicken

1 medium sized onion sliced into thin long slices

1 Tbsp julienned ginger

1 Tbsp minced garlic

4 dried Red Chillies

A handful of curry leaves

2 Tbsp Lemon juice

1Tbsp Kasuri Methi

1/4 cup minced Cilantro

Coconut Oil

 

Roast under low heat till aromatic:

3/4-1 Tbsp Chilli powder

1.5 Tbsp Coriander powder

1/2 tsp Cumin Powder

1.5 tsp Pepper powder

1 tsp Garam Masala( must  have fennel seeds,Cardamom,cloves,cinnamom,star anise n mace)

Ground this spice powder mix in a small mixer jar into a fine paste(add tsp of water if needed) along with:

3 sliced pearl onions

4 large cloves of garlic

1.5 inch piece of ginger

3 red chillies(kanthari mulaku,green chillies will be ok too)

2 Tbsp Cilantro leaves

To this paste add:

1 tsp Soy Sauce

1/2 tsp Tomato sauce

1 Tbsp Lemon juice

Salt

Marinate the chicken pieces with this paste and keep aside for 30 mins or more.

 

In a large frying pan pour coconut oil n add the curry leaves,fry till crisp n transfer this with a slotted spoon n keep aside.

To the same pan,add more oil if needed, n drop in the chicken pieces from the marinade.Keep aside the remaining marinade.

Shallow fry the chicken for a while till the marinade really sticks to the chicken n it turns a shade of brown.No need to fry for long.

Transfer the chicken pieces to a plate,n to the same pan add more oil.

With the spatula scrape the bits n pieces from the pan.They are darn tasty n juciy.

To the pan add the chopped ginger garlic n dried red chillies.Sauté for a while.

Throw in the sliced onions n fry till its soft n a pale shade of brown.

Now add the remaining marinade from the chicken into the pan n sauté at high.You can dilute your mixer used to grind the spices,with some water n add it also to the pan.

Now add the chicken pieces n fried curry leaves n fry at high heat till everything turns black n dry n fried.Take care not to char though..!

Meanwhile,roast the Kasuri methi n crush it with your hand.

Switch off the heat n top the chicken with the Tbsps of lime juice,powdered Kasuri Methi n minced cilantro.Mix well n close immediately till use..!

 

 

Picture 2094

Verdict : Slurppp..!..Kutts told that this is the best Chicken dish I have prepared in a while..:P..Guess working with a small batch did the magic.I am still drooling..Lime juice plays a major role as it adds to the tanginess of the dish which goes immensely well with the spices.In a bite you get the hot n tangy burst..Also the fried aromatic curry leaves n caramelized onions fried in the chicken juice is the star of this dish n we both just snacks on it..:D..Finally the topping of lime juice n kasuri methi n cilantro is the best closing note ever for this quick-fix grand dish..!

 

Foodies,go on try it,you have my word..Meanwhile,lemme go n take a bite from my Kadai..:D

 

Picture 657-1

Before I sign off,I wanna send a dish for Hb n her Just Not any other dish event .What other than my Nadan prawns roast which gave me my new Kitchenaid FP n the 2 awesome cookbooks of Sanjeev kapoor..So ,here you go hb..:)

Have a great weekend..:)

hugs

StumbleUpon
 
Creative Commons License
Will-O'-the-Wisp is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
.