Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Veggies cooked in a coconut-yogurt sauce – Authentic Kurukku Kalan..!!

Hey foodies..How are u all doing..Relaxing after the eventful long weekend/getting back to the bustling work probably..isn't it..:)..Hope you all had lovely times..Seattle was all back to its rainy self n it was cold n beautiful out here..We got all lazy n mostly stayed glued to couch/bed enjoying the weather n having hot coffee’s n fritters n pepper chicken..;) ..n finally yesterday in spite of the heavy pour we got out n roamed around the full day..Had our lunch out n then we(he.!) got this very bad idea of going for Final Destination Imax 3D..God..I still get creeps..goriest ..yuckiest n grotesque movie I’ve ever seen..:shudder:..I dunno if I am a hyper..:D..,but I was all flushed out,paper-white when I came out n was scared shit out even to step on escalator..:S..Guess the 3D effects took its toll on me..:(..I had this terrible hangover after that..glared all the trucks n stuffs passing by to see if any of the screws are going loose n all that till all my screws started to feel loose..:D..Apparently a hot tea n some snacks helped..:D..n today I saw this nice movie Little miss Sunshine to rub off that bad effect n it helped..The movie was very sweet n different ,carried a strong point in it..loved it..:)

Picture 1896

..So much of movie talk for a foodie space..Don't you think so.:P..So lets get back to some food talk..One good news is that finally I got to make good use of the gift card awarded by Google Cooking Knol-edge contest..Remember..?? I got myself a Kitchenaid FP, n so far ,touchwood ,its working beautiful n great help to me..am loving it..:)..As for all you who wants the reviews,I’ll keep you guys posted..:) ..n yes I also got these 2 amazing cookbooks of Sanjeev Kapoor..with lotsa mouth-watering pics n recipes,that I feel like trying out each of them..I hope to soon get back to my menu planning routine, n start trying it out n posting it here..:)

Actually I wanted to post a non veg or something,but today is a real busy day for me n I don't really have the time to prep up a new snap from the cam n all..So am going by a draft this time,the one I promised you all in last post..A simple Kalan..Its a main item of Sadya aka feast n is basically a yogurt based saucy dish with cooked veggies in it ..mild,yummy n stays fresh for long..There are two variations of it in Kerala..In South side ,in some area’s they serve it really thick gravi-ed ,as side dish with rice n in other areas its a lengthy curry ,main dish with rice.I am used to the 2nd section…In Our area its called,Kurukku Kalan ,Kurukku means thick .I remember,my aunt used to make it n pack it for us in big Horlicks bottle’s n it would stay safe in fridge for more than 2 weeks.It pairs well with hot rice n some spicy side dish like Potato poriyal or so..For the first time I made it for Onam,last week n it was a hit.I got to see this TV show ,where the cook was making it in a very big kadai for almost 100 people,n he shared all the tips n tricks for the authentic taste.For all those who sorely miss such authentic delights that are true epitomes of finest Kerala food,here I go..:)

So sorry for the not-so-good pics,taken just before the Sadya..:)

Picture 1897

Peel n chop into cubes 1 medium sized semi-ripe plantain/banana/kaya.(the green one..not yellow..)..Semi ripe means it’ll be slightly sweet yet firm.Also get 1/2 a cup of yam/chena chopped..I got the frozen ones here.Almost a cup or more of these veggies..

Now cook them in water,3/4 tsp Turmeric powder,1/2 tsp Chilli powder,2-3 slit green chillies,1/2-1 tsp fresh ground pepper powder,salt n 5-6 curry leaves.You can use a pressure cooker or simply cook them in a deep bottomed pan with a close-fitting lid.

When they are half cooked n soft,mash them lightly with the back of a handle.Dont mash them into mass,just lightly so as to release the flavor of the veggies.

Open the pan n cook till there is very little water inside.

Now simmer n add 1.5 – 2 cups of beaten thick yogurt n stir to mix.Lower the heat n don’t let the yogurt boil.

Simmer n cook till the yogurt gets light froth on sides.Yogurt added for Kalan should have slight tanginess.Normally the ones we get here wont have that.So just add a tsp of Tamarind paste to give it that tanginess..

When the yogurt turns frothy on sides add a ground paste of 3/4 cup fresh grated coconut,3-4 green chillies,n 1/2 tsp cumin powder.

Stir to mix,close n simmer till the coconut mix is blended well with the gravy n its no more raw.

Do a taste test,adjust salt n sourness.Stir n simmer till the desired thickness is attained.

Now heat coconut oil n add 1-2 tsp mustard,1 tsp fenugreek,a handful of pearl onions sliced into thin rounds(optional,not use in authentic method though this adds a lot of flavor),a few dry red chillies n a handful of curry leaves.Fry really well n add 1/2 tsp pepper powder n complete the frying ..Pour it over the curry ,stir n close till use.

The dish attains the complete taste after a couple of hours only .Once cooled you can pour it into an airtight bottle n store in fridge.

Verdict: Its a true delight n we love it..I especially love to suck that fried chillies in the curry,filled with the mild gravy n still lots of heat in it..;)..As it stays yum for a long time,this is a healthy n apt choice for working ladies n mom’s .With veggies n yogurt it has the essential goodness in it too..:)

Sanghi is celebrating her century post n kindly thought of me in that joy,passing me the diamond friends award..Thanks Sanghi..:)

Diamond award1

..Also Chakhlere passed me these cute awards..I cant thank you enough..hugs..:)

passionate

yum

..Have a great week all of you..I’ll soon be back with some hot, spicy ,kick-ass non veg dishes..:D

hugs

:)

StumbleUpon

47 Luv'ly people shared their views..:

Home Cooked Oriya Food said...

wow - mouth watering veggies... Yum!

Sanghi said...

Delicious yoghurt curry dear..!:)

Curry Leaf said...

Wow ,thats a perfect kalan.Mine never looks this great.Hope you had a wonderful Onam.

RAKS KITCHEN said...

Wow,sounds yummy Varsha! Nice recipe and pics:)

Shama Nagarajan said...

Yummy yogurt gravy dear.....take care

Pari said...

Hey thanks for sharing. The kalan looks very tempting.I have never tried it. Bookmarked to try it.

Nags said...

looks so yummy. the thickness looks just right, something i struggle with on and off..

Sharmilee! :) said...

Veggies in Coconut gravy...slurrrp!!

Suparna said...

heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeello v,
Belated Onam wishes to you and your family!!Have a wonderful year ahead!!
nice to c u :) oh the dish looks so yummm, I love kerala dishes and am floored by anything cooked in coconut, it's unimagineably flavourful and tasty. Lovely clicks and thanks for the recipe.
Enjoy!
TC

Chitra said...

Hmm, looks superb and sounds nice :) will try for sure and let u know :)

Sharmila said...

I so love your recipes. Can't wait to try this .. I always have raw bananas and coconut at home . :-)

Parita said...

I watched The Final Destination 3D too last weekend :)
Curry looks fantastic!

Lena Rashmin Raj said...

hmm..yummy..i had posted this before 4months...this time onam was great...amma achan n cousins came frm home..enjoyed alot.. :)

Vani said...

Looks delish, VV! Final Destination on 3D sounds like torture! :)

Valarmathi said...

Looks superb and yummy.

Priya said...

Truly a delicious kalan Varsha...Wat a yummy gravy!

lata raja said...

I didn't know that you could add many veggies in Kalan. I love youghurt based kuzhambus. I'd love to try this out. Congratulations on the awards too.

Happy cook said...

Congats on the prize and that kalan looks so so yumm.
Hi hi i woudn't mind having a weekend like you had :-)

Gita said...

We were also planning to see that movie this weekend...thank God I opted out...nice dish Varsha..looks great...congrats on your awards dear :)

Shri said...

Totally delicious, Varsha!Love the yogurt and coconut combination

Priti said...

That's looks delicious

Cinnamon Girl aka Reeni♥ said...

This Kalan sounds so delicious! I love how you describe sucking the chiles, yummm!! I don't like movies like this either - but Little Miss Sunshine was so cute - the ending was the best.

A 2 Z Vegetarian Cuisine said...

Veggies with coconut curryyy..haaaahhh..yummmyyy anytime acceptable..nice pictures

Cham said...

Hmm kalan in coconut-yogurt sounds excellent!

Padma said...

Congrats on your awards Varsha.. veggies in coconut and yogurt curry looks tempting... nice pic :)

Veggie Belly said...

uh...final destination is gross...i can only imagine the grossness factor on imax!

your kalan on the other hand is the complete opposite :)

Raaga said...

this sounds lovely... like a mor kuzhambu of sorts :)

Shobana senthilkumar said...

Hi varsha,
sorry for my late comments:)yogurt curry luks yum...i think it similar to more kulambu...pls check my blog for a gift:)

chakhlere said...

Hey that's a nice recipe loved it!!

Congrats for the awards!!

Preety said...

i never made the yogurt base curry but yours looks so yumm..specially i like the color bright yellow:)

Seena said...

Oh, my favourite! V, we make this very very thick.. :)

My Experiments with Cooking said...

Add yogurt, give me and forget all about it!This looks delicious Varsha.
Reminder: Do send ur entry to my event!

Viki's Kitchen said...

My favorite curry. So colorful a dish! Thanks for the recipe dear. I will try it in the weekend :)

Pavithra said...

Awesome varsha I always love yoghurt based dishes.. looks so tempting and rich.. Yah good idea in storing in the bottle .. Looks mouthwatering..

Soma said...

LOL i don't even venture out to see those kinda movies.. Little miss sunshine is probably my kind:-)

what a beautiful color the kalan has!

Arch said...

Looks awesome...lovely colour...Am going to make this over the weekend..also plan to make appams, hope it turns out well

Sharmilee! :) said...

You have a award at my space : http://sharmis-passions.blogspot.com/2009/09/pretty-in-pink-rosemilk-time-to.html
Do pick it up! :)

notyet100 said...

sabji looks yum,,,,

VS said...

That looks so mouth watering Varsh!

Sakshi said...

tee hee hee...You had to sit and watch Final Destination to check out f your screws are intact? phsht you should have just asked me and I would have given you a full report on my research on you :)

Hey I too like to suck the bloody hell out of chillies in any gravy. I don't understand why restaurants here cut them into teeny weeny pieces...sobs!

Uma said...

looks yum!

Something is waiting for you at my blog. Check out here:

http://teluguruchi.blogspot.com/2009/09/its-time-for-awards-and-tags.html

n33ma said...

Looks so delicious and creamy.Waiting for the kick ass non veg dish.Take care

Indhu said...

have I said I love your pictures... they are bright like your posts :)

I watched one version of final destination.. i think it was the one with the road accident... I watched the movie with both hands covering my face and was peeping through the gaps... It was a scary movie!

Deeps said...

First of all,Varsha,please accept my apologies for coming here sooo late...
Thats one yummylicious blog you've got,Varsha...kalakki,my fellow mallu!

Know what,I'm at my mom's presently and she made kalan only yesterday! Your kalan looks truly mouthwatering!Slurp!

will look forward to reading you more often :)

Varsha Vipins said...

thanks friends..:)
Deeps,no worries..thanks for the visit n nice words..:)

sangeeta said...

late to comment...but the page was not opening up...
okay so both these plaintain recipes are on my list now....your pictures are getting killer day by day...

vidhas said...

Lovely kalan, surely try it resembles lore like our moar kulambhu.

 
Creative Commons License
Will-O'-the-Wisp is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
.