Thursday, September 3, 2009

Tangy Ginger Pickle - Pulinji / InjiPuli / Inji Curry ..!!

 

 

Inji curry

 

Thanks everyone for the Onam wishes you sent my way,we had a lovely Onam..:)..Hope you all had a great time too..:).I guess,this time being on a mid-week day many couldn’t celebrate it in full form..Nevertheless,I hope Onam left that pleasure n joy in your hearts n life..:).Aahh..So another Onam also passing by..Though today is 3-am Onam..(3rd day of Onam..Its there for 4 days),after Thiruvonam it just feels Onam is over. It always leaves a sad note in my heart when an Onam comes to an end.For every Malayali,there begins a wait for the next Onam to come.. a sweet long wait..I guess this one festival has a strong emotional bonding with our heart..kinda our private pride..with so many cultural value..mythical stories..authentic games n art forms all interwoven with Onam,its worth an year wait n even the nature decors up herself gorgeously to welcome Mahabali thampuran (King Mahabali,who is said to have ruled Kerala long back)n Onam..:)..I miss Kerala..miss my home..miss the beautiful nature n greens around ,which twinkles in bright juicy sunlit OnaPulari’s n shies n droops head in the occasional drizzles..I miss the dewed Thottavadi’s n Thumba’s..I miss putting the pookkalam’s with these flowers from our backyard..miss the fragrance of hot fresh Kayaupperi from amma’s kitchen..miss pressing the nose on my window n watching wide-eyed the Puli-kali group dancing through the roads..miss seeing beautiful people clad in bright golden bordered Veshti’s n Kasavumundu’s with  chandanakuri on forehead,n an Onam touched glow n bliss on their face(yea..even vaynokkaling aka people watching is a fun part.;) )...So many things I am missing now..I do feel a lump in my throat right now..For once I wish I could go back to my childhood days,when I could be carefree n enjoy all the bounties that life had in store for me then..Sigh..!!

Among those heavenly fragrances that I can  blindly relate to Onam,hitting on ma top-miss list ,sharing space with Kayupperi (banana chips),is the fragrance of this Injipuli or Inji curry as it is called in Southern Kerala..As I have told before,I was born in Kochi,which is ma mom’s place.So her cooking style n naturally mine are mostly southern –style inspired..This dish has slight variations in preparation all throughout Kerala..Color also varies..Somewhere its black,n somewhere red.But in any form,this is the best..! You know what,Inji curry is said to be equal to 70 curries,in terms of taste.Its called ‘king of curries’ …n usually we can hear old people in tharavadu saying ,”inji curry undenkil 10 para chorunnam”..(you can eat a whole load of rice with this dish,because it invokes your taste buds).Even though the preparation is simple,my mom used to make it only for Onam,dunno why.But in one way that is good,because that’s what makes this dish so special n I bet for most of you also,Injipuli is a synonym for Onam..:)

 

Inji curry

This was the first time I was making this dish n I was really apprehensive about the result.In typical mom-style,she gave me the recipe without any particular measurement n I was, as usual trying to apply my trial n error style.But this one dish being, not only my fav,but my husband’s also who was eliciting about his mom’s Inji curry’s taste all the day,I was lil worried.But thank God,it turned out so superb n I was more than pleased ..:D ..I’ll detail about the taste n the authentic way to serve it towards the end..:)

Before moving on to the recipe,here is a peek into my this year’s Onam feast..I made rice,9 dishes n a Payasam..:)..Dishes that topped the fav list was this Inji curry(which you see in that bottle),Kalan (thick yellow curry ,left side of rice) n Aviyal(bottom right corner,next to bottle)..:)

Sadya

Lets move on to the recipe..This amount of ingredients,which I have mentioned here in the recipe won’t yield a big bottle full or so..just enough for 2 people to use for a few days.As mom told that there is a chance for the dish to get sour n tasteless in course of time,I just made this much..

Take a medium-deep bottomed pan n pour in coconut oil(I used coconut oil for Sadya this time,n that made one helluva difference..:) ).

When the oil is hot,pop in 1/2 a cup of fine chopped ginger pieces(skin the ginger n chop it real fine).

Fry the ginger pieces in oil really well,till they shrink,get a red hue n they turn crisp.You’ll feel it when you sauté it or touch it.

Transfer this with a slotted spoon n keep aside  to cool slightly.

Now,you can put this as such in the curry if you like the bite of the ginger or you can just ground it .I ground my ginger coarsely in processor/mixer for a couple of short bursts.not fine..just coarse ground..That way you’ll get small bites of ginger n the curry will be flavorful.

In the same pan,pour in more oil n add 1 tsp Mustard seeds,3/4 tsp Fenugreek seeds, 3/4 tsp Urad dal,handful of fresh curry leaves n 3-4  broken red chillies.

Sauté till the curry leaves r crisp,n everything turns fragrant.

Slice 4-5 pearl onions n 5 green chillies finely n add it to the pan.

Add salt n sauté well,till onions turn soft n chillies slightly crisp

Now pop back in the ginger, n add 2 tsp of tamarind paste dissolved well in a cup of water.

Throw in 1-1.5 tsp of chilli powder,1/4 tsp asaofetida /kayam n stir well to mix.

Bring this to a boil n the simmer.(taste n if you want it more tangy add more tamarind extract,also adjust the heat.There should be a proper balance between the heat n sourness n also the sweetness)

Grate jaggery (sharkkara) n add 2 tsp(as per your taste) of this grated mixture into the curry n stir well to dissolve.If you don't have jaggery, then brown sugar or even plain sugar will do just fine.Adjust salt also.

After a while when the curry turns thick n fragrant with oil floating on top(Your whole home is gonna smell divine,trust me..!!) ,sprinkle a pinch of Fenugreek powder(Uluva podi) on top n take off from heat.

Immediately take some hot rice n mix it with this curry n pop into mouth.Close your eyes n savor every bit of the heavenly taste..;)

When its cool,you can transfer into a sterilized air tight jar and it’ll keep safe in fridge for more than a week.But I bet,it wont last that long..;)

Serves best with plain hot rice n also with Idli,Dosa etc..:)

 

Inji curry

 

Verdict : Big hit..! Really ,you don't need any other dish with rice if you have this one.This is the only one dish that will really tickle your taste buds as it has almost all of the tastes in it..Sweet,sour n hot..Old people have their own authentic way to serve n eat this.Inji curry is authentically served on ,left most corner of the Vazhayila (banana leaf) along with other pickles,pappadam,pazham(banana),upperi n salt,but it should be placed slightly on the lower side of the leaf rib..ie,on the side where rice is served.This is because,even though Inji curry comes in the thodukari (Pickle) section,its also considered as a main curry n should be kept till the closing of the sadya..While eating payasam’s,when there are more than one payasam (kheer,a dessert),they say,you should just take a lick of this dish in the intervals.For eg:after taking a mouthful of Palada,you just give your tongue some injicurry ,n the take the pradhaman ..Then,you’ll be able to differentiate n enjoy the different payasam’s ,as injicurry really invokes n rejuvenates your taste buds..Amazing no? :)

You all must try this at least once n I bet you’ll love it..!

Note : Palada n Pradhaman are both ,different types of Payasam’s,dessert made with milk n sugar/jaggery.

Coming up : Kurkku Kalan

Picture 1896

I happened to see this authentic method of making Kurkku Kalan in a TV show,by an authentic Brahmin chef,a famous one,who caters marriages n other functions..tried it out n came out really good.will share that on my next post..:)

Thanks to Sanghi for the fab blog award..:)

Have a great long weekend all of you..rock on..!

hugs..:)

StumbleUpon

60 Luv'ly people shared their views..:

VineelaSiva said...

Wow what a treat varsha.Its so tempting.The pickle makes me drooling.Its really very nice.

Divya Vikram said...

That is an amazing and appealing spread Varsha! Onam wishes!

Indhu said...

awesome treat... love love the ginger pickle... and varsha.. your pictures... Brilliant :)

Vidhya said...

wow nice click Varsha. I make Injipuli very often.

Soma said...

That looks lip smacking good!!! you do a lot during the festivals don't you?

Shobana senthilkumar said...

Varsha....ur rocking with gr8 recipes...wat a click...hats off
Ginger pickle is so rich with oil feel like licking it from the pic:)

Cham said...

The injipuli makes me drool :) I want the bottle now :(

Sakshi said...

Why don't you start a pickle business? You can parcel this thing all over the USA and I am sure ppl like me will buy it :).

No scope of me making this in the near future...sobs.

anubhavati said...

Hey Varsha,

You would`nt believe it but I was looking out for the recipe a few days ago. I had a friend from Varkala who used to bring the InjiPuli to o ur hostel...and we used it as a side for everything imaginable. Bread, Idli, curd rice, Maggi...oh God...I some how remembe it being a dark colour..Prob it was the tamarind used....YUM...
Happy Onam to all of you.

Shobha

Sharmilee! :) said...

Tongue is tickling seeing ur inji puli ;) Nice spread of Sadya!

Anonymous said...

Hey nice spread, Varsha. I have been visting your blog often but this is my first comment here. Me a Keralite though not a Malayalee. In the spirit of Onam which I miss dearly, I too made a similar spread of 12 dishes. It was back-breaking effort..hehe. BTW, we don't put shallots in puli inji.. new version. Thanks for it.

Anushri

Vani said...

So true that we associate certain foods, smells and flavors to certain festivals. This puli inji looks fantastic, VV! Lovely clicks too.

Shabs.. said...

Ithrem undaakkiyittu enne kshanichillallo:(...Kidding..
That photo looks superb ya!....I never had this stuff in my life can u imagine?! I want to make this one... really....
Happy onam to u birdie...

A 2 Z Vegetarian Cuisine said...

Wow what a treat!!! its amazing, I liked the color of pickle, wish had some..

5 Star Foodie said...

Everything looks amazing, would love to try the ginger pickle!

Poornima Nair said...

Thats the best part of the sadya and I always end up having a lot of it. I make it the same way, except that I powder the ginger fine. Btw, ur sadya was awesome, u did manage to make everything.

Cinnamon Girl aka Reeni♥ said...

What a beautiful spread Varsha!! The pickle sounds real delicious! I would to try it!

Home Cooked Oriya Food said...

I have never heard of it or had it , but i am ready to try it... This looks amazing...

Nags said...

vaayil vellamoorunnu :)

Sanghi said...

WOw... this is a lovely spread of dishes dear! As usual mouth-watering photos..!

My Experiments with Cooking said...

That is a wow spread. Very happy onam to you.
Varsha, there is an event am hosting at my place. If you have some time do check.

chakhlere said...

The pickle looks tempting!!!

Hema said...

it was a grand spread varsha.. Lovely pics.. Nice

Sharmila said...

That pickle looks awesome Varsha! And you sadya spread always makes me want to sit down to a full spread meal. :-)
I tried to search your blog on how to handle crabs .. but saw that you had used frozen ones. Any tips?

Suparna said...

Hi varsha,
Belated Onam wishes to you dear very glad to know that you had a great celebration :) and the snaps are very fab! the spread looks mouth watering!!
want you to stay happy all the time :)
The puliinji looks oh so tongue tickling :) thanks for the lovely recipe :)
Enjoy
TC

Preety said...

wow you made such a nice and big treat..i wish i lived near you to share everything with you:)...ginger pickle sounds good..will give this a try

Shama Nagarajan said...

lovely mouthwatering pickle....nice photo dear....yummy spread

Sush said...

great click. Ginger pickle is tempting me to try them ASAP :)

Priya said...

Yummy yum..such a spicy and mouthwatering ginger pickle..looks really tempting Varsha, Happy onam wishes dear..

Make the Impossible...Possible said...

inji puli..adipoli..happy onam

Chitra said...

Belated onam wishes dear..I've tried injipuli once .Will try urs soon.All the dishes looks amazing..Treat to my eyes :)

Parita said...

Ginger pickle looks so tasty da.love the color :) have a nice weekend!

Happy cook said...

I am sure comming over to your place for onam next year.
That pullinji reminds me of onam back home.
Just the thought makes me homesick.
Belated Onam wishes to you and family.

Valarmathi said...

Beautifu spread Varsha.. Love the ginger pickele, nice click.

Gita said...

Happy Onam dear :) Thats an amazing spead Varsha...looks very beatutiful too..that pickle is very spicy and tempting :)

Ann said...

I couldnt love injicurry as a child or even a teenager..but now its among my top list..your presentation looks yummo dearie..so had a Superb Onam feast ? next time am goin to try your version..hugs

Subhie Arun said...

wow thats a grt treat yar....i make injipuli...too..but we dont add shallots...and we use chili paste instead of chili powder...ur looks thruly mouthwatering...nice click too as usual!

Aparna Prabhu said...

Hey Varsha...... When such feast is on the only thing I remember is Amma's food..... :(....Nd about this dish i heard when i had been to chalakudy....i tasted it there....i remember how i relished tht.....as i got it served it more than 10 times :P.....loved it.....I m fond of tangy pickles....i can even eat Puli as such Yummmm.....this luks mouth watering :)

VS said...

Yummy injipuli! y didnt u try some pookolam?

Awesome array of dishes for the fastival.

Shri said...

Such a wonderful pickle:)We add jaggery to it..As you said, this one pickle is sufficient with rice...

Sireesha said...

WOW..Delectable and luscious platter:)Tongue tickling ginger pickle...

sowmya said...

what a delicious spread...i just love puli inji..

notyet100 said...

Feast looks so yum,,wish u happy ONAM wishes,..

srikars kitchen said...

Looks reallly excellant..

Viki's Kitchen said...

What a spread Varsha! Nice clicks again. Bookmarking this injipuli...Dont know to do this dish but, my favorite. I m drooling:)

Priti said...

Oh Varsha that pickle is to die for...you had made it so tempting...as always wonderful pics dear

Remya said...

Hey Varsha....I like your blog a lot n we seem to share similar tastes too..Puli Inji looks very yummy...I had made it for the Vishu sadya here n it was a huge hit...I have just started a blog of my own..which actually seems very very kiddish ryt now cz its just a day old..:-p..Do visit n leave your suggestions to improve.

Smitha said...

Nalla inji puli. My mom and MIL said they made it this onam and they thought of me. I just take a plate with inji puli n eat it by itself. I love it.

Ana Powell said...

Absolutely fantastic.
Gorgeous colours x

Padma said...

Nice feast varsha... everything looks yummm... love this inji puli a lot... always used to get lots from our neighbours during Onam...missing it here :)

Sanghi said...

Hi varsha dear.. do check my blog for ur award..!

chakhlere said...

You have some more awards waiting at my blog.
Please accept it from a little fan as token of appreciation.

s said...

just happened to come across ur blog...excellent..

Yasmeen said...

Tongue tickling..love the pickle :)

Kitchen Flavours said...

Wow....ginger pickle is my favourite....looks superb.....

Sarah Naveen said...

Inji curry looks perfect Varsha!!
brilliant click too!!!

Lena Rashmin Raj said...

this is my all time favourite...now i really love to have it with d taste of tamarind.. :)

Varsha Vipins said...

Thanks everyone..
hugs..:)

Veggie Belly said...

oh YUM! im not surprised this was a big hit :)

Priya said...

nice and really great..yum!!

 
Creative Commons License
Will-O'-the-Wisp is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
.