Monday, September 14, 2009

Stir-fried raw plantain n shrimp / Kaya – Chemmeen Ularthu..!!

Kaya Chemmen Ularthu

Hey dear everyone..welcome to my foodie space..:)..feels good to be back after quite a few days..First of all,lemme give ma heartfelt thanks to each of you ,who find time to come here n drop a word as comment..It really brings a smile on my face..:).These days I am not able to spend as much time as I want to, on blogging in this space n also visiting you all guys.Personal issues n stuffs at home are keeping me busy most of the time.Hope you guys get it..I am trying to catch up with everything as much as I can,n sometimes I just read n have to move on without commenting ,what with all the slow issues of blogger n word verification n all that, it can be sometimes quite a drag..n sometimes you know ,mood swings..:(..Anyhow I guess all my Muslim friends and readers are preparing for the grand feast of Ramadan n I wish you all a great Eid..:)..Also Navarathri is gonna be from this Friday n I know many of you are gearing up for that..I guess I’ll be able to make a post before it to wish u all..;) We had a nice warm weekend,with movies n some shopping n eat-outs n all that..I saw PS I Love u again … n cried again..:P..All my readers in Ireland,I am sick jealous of you..:D..hmmph..So that's what’s been happening with me n we have our fingers, toes all crossed for some much awaited thing,which I can hopefully share with you soon,once things work out..:)

Kaya or raw plantain/green banana’s n Chemmen or Shrimp/prawns is a classic combination in authentic kerala cuisine.Even though its not much heard around like a chicken roast or karimeen pollichathu (pomfret roast),it is one awesome dish and an amazing combo which at the same time is real simple.It was a main piquant delish side dish of old malayali kitchen n I know at least few of you might have heard or tasted this from your grandma’s kitchen.My grand mom or ammamma as I used to call her, was an expert with dishes made out of raw plantain.She passed away when I was still a kid,so whenever I remember her ,there are some images n some fragrances that rushes into my mind.She was an very elegant n calm lady with serenity n a lovely warmth always exuding from her.She was smiling always,I cant ever remember a moment when she got angry or irritated, the least..As I told,I was a really small when she demised n hence I guess,that time I didn’t feel much pain or so then..But now,sometimes I really feel like missing her ..Even though I was super peevish n naughty she used to be so calm n patient with me..My mom tells us that,I used to find this devilish pleasure in riding my small tri cycle over her legs..imagine..!!..still she used to just smile..:P...The fragrances I can relate to her are that of Nycil powder n Chandanam/Bhasmam.She spent most of her day time as well as whole life in kitchen cooking for my grand dad n kids(my mom n siblings).Her masterpiece dishes,which immediately comes into my mind,which she prepared all the time were this one dish called Mulakooshyam n also a side dish with Kaya(plantain) n Achinga (Chinese long beans)..I have that in draft,will post soon..n sometimes ,during seasons this shrimp-plantain combo used to be the hit.I was a fussy eater kid,who hated veggies but loved meat n prawns,so my mom used to add these small shrimps in all stir fried veggies like carrot ,beans etc (thoran n poriyals) n I used to dig in for shrimps thereby taking in some veggies also..I have a grandmom special kaya poriyal here..:)

Kaya Chemmeen Ularthu

As we all know,shrimp or prawns has this immense flavor which they give out while cooking.No over cooking,or you get flavorless rubbery stuff.So this awesome flavor of prawns when combined with veggies,it creates a palate-teasing effect,n that's the magic of this dish.Small shrimps are best suited for this ,but I didn't have it in hand that time,so I used prawns which I cut in half..you can do butterfly cut as well.Also the plantains or kaya that I get here don't take much time to cook,so I can easily cook them both together in a pan.If your plantains are the opposite,do half cook them in a cooker before proceeding..Anyhow the veggie should cook for a while with the prawns,n yet should be firm n soft.Normally there are two types of raw plantain that you get in markets/Indian stores.Larger light green-pale yellow ones n small dark green ones.The former ones are the one stage before Banana’s(ethapazham’s) n are subtly sweet while the latter ones are ripe n not really sweet.I like the former ones better but be careful to choose firm green ones,’cos pale yellow ones can be lil too sweet to be combo-ed with shrimps, for a side dish ,that what I feel.

Kaya Chemmeen Ularthu

Peel n chop the plantains into small cubes ,about 2 cups.Wash it well in 2-3 rounds of water.Clean n devein the shrimps/prawns,about 1 cup.Mix these together in a bowl n add 1 tsp turmeric powder,a few curry leaves n salt n mix well.Keep aside.

Take a deep bottomed pan,smear the base with some coconut oil n dump the shrimp-plantain mix into it.Sauté for a while in high heat,then simmer ,sprinkle a few tablespoons of water on top n close with a tight fitting lid.

After 5 minutes ,open n see if the plantain is half -cooked ,by pressing it with spatula.It should be lil soft..n the prawns ,all pink n curled up.Now,with the lil moisture in the pan that's from the prawns,remove it to the bowl n keep aside closed.

In the same pan,heat 2 Tbsp coconut oil in a pan n when its hot add 1.5 tsp Mustard seeds,1/2 tsp fenugreek seed,1 stalk fresh curry leaves.Fry till fragrant.

Chop red onions/pearl onions into thin slices n add it to the pan.Sprinkle salt,a pinch of turmeric n sauté till soft.

Now pop in the half cooked plantain n shrimps with all that moisture, into the pan n mix well.

Close with a lid n simmer for 5 more minutes till the plantains are soft to bite into.

Now open the lid,n sprinkle 1 tsp of chilli powder n 3/4 tsp of fresh pepper powder on top.Sauté well to mix with the veggies n shrimps.Adjust salt.

Sprinkle more oil time-to-time ,n fry in medium high heat till the plantains get browned on all sides n onions slices turn dark brown.tastes best that way..(I was in hurry that day,so couldn't wait to get it really browned all around..)

Kaya Chemmeen Ularthu

Verdict: True yummy stuff.The flavor of shrimp mingled with the healthy veggie n onions n tempering n curry leaves in coconut oil,everything just blends to give an amazing mildly spicy side dish.The plantains when browned well gives this nice crunch which is too good.With quick cooking plantains,you can simply pop it n the shrimps directly over the tempered onion base n close n cook.Sometimes I do that too.Its much more easy than this,but do that only if you have quick-cooking plantain.Don't be too stingy with oil,fried plantain tastes yumm..!! :)

Hope you all try n like it..:)

Thanks n hugs to Uma,Sharmilee n Shobhana for the tags which I’ve done before n cute awards which is on my side bar..thanks gals..:)

Have a great week ahead all of you..hugs..:)

StumbleUpon

36 Luv'ly people shared their views..:

Home Cooked Oriya Food said...

looks lovely... nice interesting dish...

Vani said...

Hope you're doing okay, girlie! Don't worry about commenting. Take care!

Tina said...

Hai dear.....perfect nd lovely pics....shrimp is my favourite ...so engine vechalum thakapanalle.....tc

5 Star Foodie said...

Love the combo of shrimp & plantains here, delicious!

Superchef said...

never heard of this before...sounds like a great combo. Your pics are just getting better day by day :)

chakhlere said...

Nice to see you back girl!
Snap looks yummy as always. I want to try fish ...don't know when I am gonna do that.

My Experiments with Cooking said...

All ur prawn dishes are different yet delicious in their own way. Do send ur entry to my event and haffun dear!

Pavithra said...

Looks so yummy varsha.. Tempting pictures. Interesting combo too... Dont worry abt commenting same things happens with me too. Take time and do it leisurely.

Suparna said...

Hey varsha,
Take care of yourself, dont worry about anything else :) eat well and stay happy!!
BTW these snaps look amazing dear, wish I could just grab it out of the screen ;) I love the stir fries of any kind and this combo seems superb!

Kitchen Flavours said...

That's an new combo to me....pics are very bright and appaetizing...take care...be happy...

Babli said...

I liked your blog very much. The dish looks yummy and delicious. You have presented very beautifully with mouth watering pictures.

Priya said...

Such a delicious combination Varsha...Gorgeous click...

Sanghi said...

Looks delicious dear!!:)

Sushma Mallya said...

New and interesting combo....looks delicious and lovely click as usual varsha...

Chitra said...

Looks nice. will try only with plantain :)Iam a veggie

notyet100 said...

feel like tryin this once i go bck home,...stir fry looks so yum,..

Happy cook said...

Why do you make me always want to eat all this dishes and mostly when i see apost it takes me back to the time when i was unmarried and living home.
Super super yumm.

Gita said...

That was sweet post about your ammama Varsha...plaintain with shrimp sounds like a super-delicious combo...lovely presentation dear :)

VineelaSiva said...

Nice post varsha.I too cook this curry.I love it.This really goes nice with rasam.Take care dear.

Shobana senthilkumar said...

Hmmmm...yum u make me feel hungry:)

Sharmila said...

I make raw plantain and I make shrimp .. but never together. Such an interesting combo Varsha! And yes, you had mentioned word verification long back in a post ... and I had removed it pronto. I know they can be real irksome. Do take care of yourself. :-)

Priya said...

obvious ur grand ma cud be a great cook like u,so as u...isn't it?..hey good luck for ur expecting ones..

Cham said...

My granny use to combine all veggies with small shrimps. This one is simply perfect! Take care buddy!

Simi said...

Hey Varsha..I can always count on you for nadan yummies like this..I am a regular reader..from nedumudi in kuttanadu..love all your dishes and I am fan..:)

Elra said...

Oh Varsha.... I love plantain, never thought of cooking them together with shrimps. What a afabulous idea. Thank you!!!!!!!!
Cheers,
elra

Sireesha said...

Looks Superb...Nice cick...

Cinnamon Girl aka Reeni♥ said...

This combo sound so delicious! And such a beautiful presentation! Great pics!

Parita said...

Lovely click dear..love stir fried plantains! have a wonderful week ahead :)

sangeeta said...

great pics and the recipe seems fit for me even when i am watching calories...:)
i love both the ingredients n feel like the combo is going to work for me.

Sarah Naveen said...

Looks perfect varsha!!!
I know this dish from my grandmother too!!!
Adipoli!!!

Valarmathi said...

Looks delicious and tempting Varsha. Nice click.

Soma said...

Scrumptious!! With all these yummy shrimp & chicken coming I really wish I was your neighbor:-).. Then I would not cook at all.

Nags said...

kaya and chemmen? wow!

Lena Rashmin Raj said...

hai Ammuuuuuuuuu......this looks amazing..even i posted a prawns recipe.. :)still i remember the snap of a previous prawn dish in ur blog...yumm yumm..

Arch said...

Hey Varsha, I saw this post but wanted to make something with a gravy for dinner, so went thru all your chemmeen posts and just made the chemmeen theeyal...its turned out really nice, tangy and spicy, just how i like it...thanks so much for sharing...

Sakshi said...

Bahh once a devil always will be a devil. I am not coming anywhere near you if you have a bicycle now!!!!

Thanks for that link to Mulakooshayam. You won't believe what you have done to me!!! I am enlightened just bcoz of you. All this while I had thought that Mulakooshayam was something used for the treatment of moolakuru...ahem. Thank god I didn't tell this to anyone ;)

Gosh I got to read about your culinary disasters and V torturing stories in that post too...poor V I say...

Cut shrimp like butterflies?? Why? they both are so different in shape no? why do u want a plateful of butterfly prawns??

I loved the pics...what with a change of background..they look awesome...hee

I am still addicted to ur prawn roast to try out any other prawn recipe :)

*sucking my prawn roast juicy fingers*

 
Creative Commons License
Will-O'-the-Wisp is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
.