Monday, August 17, 2009

Sheekh Kebab / Seekh Kabab/kabob….!!!

 

Picture 1610

Hey foodies n friends..So you all had a great weekend? Here we had excellent climate..sunny yet not too hot n we had a great time enjoying the glittering waterfronts..sun n sand..This kinda cool summer is fun..:)

Today I’ll tell you about Kebab’s/Kabab’s..A long time back,I mean not soo long..during my school-college days..the only thing I’ve heard about Kebab’s was the saying “Kabab mein haddi..”..:D..(bone in a kabab)..n so my knowledge about it was confined to the fact that its some kind of boneless meaty preparation..may be like cutlets/croquettes..Now ,I was n still am a sucker for these cutlets..croquettes..rolls  n such..I just love the crispy outer coating with a bite of flavorful stuffing inside..But dunno why, until recently I never ventured into the Kebab area..Once in a restaurant we ordered Boti Kebab ..I was expecting a croquette shaped thing when suddenly the guy brought in a big sizzling “shee..shoo..shee..”  sounding kadai with juicy red meat pieces n immensely delicious tangy grilled onions along with it..It was awesome n so I got that there are kebab’s other than croquette style as well..:P..n couple of weeks before I got myself to try this Sheekh Kebab which came out really nice..Sorry for the not-so-good pics as I was almost on the verge of going mad with hunger..:D

Now for those who are not familiar with this name n dish,wiki says.. the word kebab is Arabic n means fried meat ,not grilled meat..and is associated mainly with Persian,Turkish cuisines etc..Kebab was used frequently in Turkish books of that time to refer to meatballs made of ground or pounded chicken or lamb.Ibn Battuta records that kebab was served in the royal houses of India since at least the Sultanate period, and even commoners would enjoy it for breakfast with Naan.It was a main item in Mughal cuisines as well..There are so many different varities like Chicken Tikka Kebab(I have posted the method to make Tikka Kebab’s in the pizza post),Tandoor Kebab,Kalmi Kebab,Kathi kebab,Shish Kebab,Malai Reshmi ,Sheekh,Boti..etc.

Picture 1623

I want to try all of them n hope to do that one by one..This one is Sheekh kebab,simple yet flavorful n I bet an excellent starter to stump out your guests..Minced/Ground meat is mixed with herbs n spices n rolled n grilled/baked..Truly authentic n royal starter..!

I have referred many sites like Showmethecurry n taken some tips from all of them..Usually they use store bought minced meat for this..I have used chicken here n somehow I don't like the taste of minced meat in stores..always feel like they have added some preservatives or something..So,I have cooked my chicken n then minced it.That way the Kebab will be more flavorful as the ground meat in itself have some spices n flavor.Also I haven’t heard of a veggie version as kebab can be related only to meat.But I strongly feel it would taste equally awesome with veggies..carrot..peas..potatoes etc..:)

To get almost 8-10 yummy Kebab’s:

We need 1 lbs of minced chicken/lamb/beef..I cooked 1 lbs chicken with lil turmeric powder,1 tsp pepper powder,1 tsp chilli powder,1/2 tsp garam masala n salt.Don’t overcook.Reserve the stock n just give it few pulses in your processor/mixer.You’ll get flavorful minced cooked meat.

To this ground meat add :

1 cup of fried onions(you can add plain minced onions,but fried onions tastes awesome.You can either prepare it or get the store bought ones for an easy life)

2 Tbsp fresh ginger n garlic paste.

1-2 Tbsp of finely chopped green chillies

Roast on low heat till aromatic:

1- 1.5 Tbsp coriander powder

1.5 tsp chilli powder

1 tsp coarsely ground pepper corns

1  tsp fresh roasted n ground garam masala

1/2 tsp cumin powder

and add it to the meat.You can either do it this way or freshly make the spice mix by roasting chilli,coriander seeds,pepper etc n then grinding it.I keep a small pan on low heat n roast my spice powders kept in sirtight spice box,n use it for such purposes.

Also add

1 tsp amchur powder

for tanginess.If you don’t have it ,add more lime juice.

Pop in lots of minced mint n cilantro(a handful) n sprinkle some Kasuri Methi.

Sprinkle 2 tsps of lime juice for that extra tangy kick(adjust according to the amount of amchur) n add lil salt if needed.

Mix everything well n refrigerate for an hour or more.

Before preparing add to this mix ,half of a beaten egg for extra binding n mix really well.Now it should be in a thick consistency n you should be able to shape it to desirable shapes.If you have added more lime juice or have not drained the chicken well it’d be a mess n if so you can pop in some bread crumbs for added consistency.

Picture 1608

Now roll small amounts of this mix in your palms to flat oval or long roll shapes n keep aside.

Skewer it n grill it oiled grill pan’s/Sauté pans  or if you have large number of it,then bake it in oiled baking sheets at 450 F for 5-7 mins each side.(I used the latter method n baked it.As my chicken was already cooked it didn't take much time for that brown crust to form n the inner portion to cook.But if you are using raw minced chicken it may take a lil more long..mebe start at 400 F for first 10 mins n then broil both sides for 5 more mins.Even though I baked it,I didn’t quite like the dry texture,so I again browned it an oiled pan for few more minutes.).If you are using raw minced chicken n cooking it in pan,take care to cook it properly starting at a low heat n after the interiors are cooked increase heat n brown it.

Serve hot with grilled onions/lime wedges/hot sauces..!

Picture 1615

Verdict: So much flavorful n aromatic.The fresh roasted spices n herbs are the key to taste of this starter.So don’t skip it.Also I feel cooked minced chicken is the best for this,as the chicken gets that extra flavor by cooking it with spices,n even if the mixing or cooking don’t go really well ,no portion of the meat would be bland or uncooked at any cost…With each bite, you can really feel the burst of flavors.Serve hot n this is one of the best starters you could ever serve..!:)

Wishing you all a happy week ahead..:)

hugs

:)

 

 

 

StumbleUpon

46 Luv'ly people shared their views..:

Divya Vikram said...

Dear the kebabs look so yumm! We happened to have this in a Pakistani restaurant reently and loved. Will try your version sometime!

viki said...

Kebab looks so delicious. Good idea to make minced meat with chicken. Bet it could have tasted amazing!

chakhlere said...

OMG!! Look at that lovely Kebabs with almost no oil !!Amazing !!

Now it has become a must try for me!!Thanks varshu for sharing such a nice recipe!!

Smitha said...

At first sight, I thought they were deep fried. But was in for a surprise. Love this recipe.Book mark cheythu.

Home Cooked Oriya Food said...

Awesome kababs... I love them and yours look perfect for snack anytime...

Pavithra said...

Awesome kebabs..looks so good and feeling hungry now. Nice click as usual.

Soma said...

You are funny:-D I have never heard of anyone's introduction to kebab with a phrase.. more so kabab mein haddi! were u one? LOL just kidding.

I could gobble up all 8 or 10 of those. I can imagine that one would be mad with hunger esp. after making them! waiting for the kabab series.

Ann said...

Kabab mein Haddi ? lol..what a great way to introduce a mouthwatering dish there..lol

Hey,the kebabs look truly yummy,i loved the pre cooking picture more...since it got more of the dish..lovely and worth trying..!!

My Experiments with Cooking said...

You made seekh kebab as in seekh kbab. I didn't know they could be made at home. Whoa!what a yummy delight :)

Priti said...

Looks yum...so perfectly shaped

Sushma Mallya said...

nice click as usual varsha...must have been very delicious...

Poornima Nair said...

My mouths watering looking at those kababs. They look so tempting, I really wish you were my neighbour:)

Vijitha Shyam said...

Yummy kababs! looks so good. Nice click varsh!

notyet100 said...

i am droolin here Varsha,,kababs look so yum,,,thy r my hubbies fav,..;-)

Maria said...

Hey dear, I was waiting for this post :) I like sheekh kabab and this recipe sounds so easy. I will try it and let u know. Am in a mood to experiment diff kabab recipes these days :)

Pari said...

will try the veg version with ur recipe

Sharmilee! :) said...

OMG, mouth watering kababs, looks grwat Varsha!

Aparna said...

Varsha......m stay in a place where u get awesome kebabas but wht to do...i m a veggie na.....but i have tried veg kebabs at home nd this weekend i tried for veg tikka :P...m sure it myt have tasted divine..

Priya said...

Oh gosh, lip smacking kebabs Varsha!!!am drooling rite now here:)

Shama Nagarajan said...

looks tempting and delicious.....nice click

Subhie Arun said...

kebab looks grt yar..mouthwatering...like shop bought!

Suma Rajesh said...

wooo i am drooling here yaar...pass on that plate soon..very tempting ...

Shabs.. said...

Hey dear...
urs has come out perfect and the dough looks perfect as well....I tried this two times, wonder where i went wrong, probbaly overbaked it, mine was too dry eventhough flavourful.Ha!...
Now need to try urs....

5 Star Foodie said...

The sheekh kebabs look delicious! Very flavorful!

Parita said...

Gorgeous click with the reflection..photoshop? kebabs look crispy and tasty!

Elra said...

Varsha, this is the most delicious kebab I've ever seen.

Reeni♥ said...

These look incredibly delicious!! I would love to try them! Have a wonderful week!

Vani said...

Don't know what you're complaining about the pics for, girl. They all look gorgeous!! (we had the reverse conversation with me, remember? deja vu... ha ha!)

srikars kitchen said...

Looks delicious.. nice clicks..

Trupti said...

those kabab looks delicious Varsha

Preety said...

kabab looks nice and crunchy..love the pic

Meera Menon said...

Hey Varsha,

I am an NRI mallu and a true core fan of Mallu food..First of all thanks a lot for this wonderful space..I have tried so many of your recipes like Sambar,Theeyal,Non veg dishes etc and all of them have come out superb n people were all praises for me..Thanks to you..I have tried recipes from other blogs/sites as well,but yours were the best with the True "mallu nadan" taste and I truly enjoy all of your honest write-up's..Please continue the good work,inspite of whatever trivial egoistic things going around..We readers truly love you n your space..:)

love,
Meera

aquadaze said...

bet those kebabs must have been lipsmacking!!

lan said...

sheesh kebab looks delectable!

Valarmathi said...

Droolwothy. Looks yummy. Nice click.

Chitra said...

Looks nice..superb pics !!

Lena Rashmin Raj said...

this is my all time favorite..we have it from a restaurent "tareef", where we get super tasty kababs..looks delicious..im again planning to be active in blogging..nw i hav little difficulties to sit contineously..but feels better as i stopped bed rest.i got a small tummmy nw...in pune, swine flu is d biggest villian nwadays..couldn go out for long time..hope you are doing fine...

Lone Acorn said...

Your kebabs look so lovely. I am feeling like picking from the photos. You made me hungry. Kebabs with paranthas make a great combination.

Purva Desai said...

These kebab looks yummy....I am drooling over the pic....
Adding minced chicken to meat is a nice idea....

Sushma Mallya said...

Hi varsha got an award for u:) pls accept it from my blog.

Varsha Vipins said...

Thanks dears..:)
Soma n Ann chechi..Thats all I could remember about the dish during ma early days..lol.:)
Special thanks Meera for those kind words..Hope you find this space useful n inspiring in future also..:)
Thanks Sushma for the award n all of you,do drop a word as to how you liked this one ..
hugs

Toothlesswink said...

"shee-shoo-shee!" hahahhaha that's so a noisy darlin waiting to be gulped down! :)

I'm not too much into cooking, but I do eat a lot :) thank you so much for visiting my blog. Drop in again, and again :)

Kitchen Flavours said...

Oh wow....these are my favourite kabab's....look delectable.....

Yasmeen said...

I'm profusely drooling ,those kebabs look perfectly moist and spicy.In hyd we make it circular or diamond shape,almost the same recipe,we call it shaami kabab.Nutty me created my own green version of those kababs(the spinach is the ingredient almost never used in kababs)
LOL for Kabab mein haddi
And the Yakhni pulao I'll try to post next month,thanks for suggesting :D
hugs!

Shabs.. said...

hi Varsh...
there is an award fo u at my place...pls accept it!

Haddock said...

I think I will go for the baked one.

 
Creative Commons License
Will-O'-the-Wisp is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
.