Thursday, August 20, 2009

Potatoes stir fried – Kizhangu Poriyal/Mezukupuratti…!!

 

Kizhangu Mezhukkupuratti

 

Hi readers/friends..such a lazy day today is..I just want to cuddle in this couch with a book or something n eventually slide peacefully into a nap.But such untimely sleeps always gives me either a head ache or a long no-wink-of-sleep nights..Last week one whole night I was up glaring at ma better half sleeping like a kid,n then when the trauma became intolerable(:D),just got up n started browsing..So I don't wanna that to happen again,n thought of dusting up an old draft,which is pretty simple n don't require any elaborate explanation..May be talking to you guys,will give ma sleepy head a good shake..:P

..n I got this potato dish from drafts.This is actually so simple that even a kid can whip it up.I wasn't planning to blog it,but that day was too bright n sunny n I loved the yellow hue of this dish which bounced joyfully in the sunlight.So couldn’t resist doing some snap snap..:)..Potatoes give us such comfort dishes right..I guess most of us love this veggie,because its easy to make n a quite forgivable veggie,tastes  good anyway.But have I told you before in this space,how I got so much satiated n fed up with this thing?..yea..during my working Pune days,the cafeteria which served horrible food had this veggie top in their charts..morning they would serve Poori n Aloo or Aloo Paratha..lunch will have 2-3 Aloo dishes n so will have the dinner.Its like “evide thiranjangu nokkiyalum..avdellam aloo karikal mathram”(wherever you go Aloo will be there like in Airtel).So we were so pissed of this,n used to dump out anything with the word Aloo in it..

Tracing back to ma kiddy days,as I have told all the time,I was fussy picky eater..I hardly ate n mom used to do all the karate n drama to make me eat.While I was in KG classes,I had a close friend called Regula(I dunno where n how she is now..just in case if she reads this..I wish..:) ).She was a fair ,pretty fairy like gal with brown curly hair n big brown eyes.I still have her image in mind.She was very smart n used to be the topper of the class.She always used to bring the same thing for lunch mostly,which would be white rice with yogurt n a potato stir fry..a simple brown colored fry with speckles of ground red chillies here n there(still remember that).That's the first memory I have about potatoes. I used to watch in wonder when she have her meals.I was pretty stick thin n Somalia kid then(Potatoes are told to have powers to make thin kids go fat n plump,or so ma mom believed),n so when I told amma that Regula brings such n such in her Tiffin everyday,she got all tricky n told me that its because of the potatoes' that R  eats everyday ,she always tops in class n has those big brown eyes n long hair.I was quite a dumbo then n believed her started to have potatoes without any fuss from then on…:P

 

Kizhangu Mezhukkupuratti

That's the story,but some of us find this veggie quite unappealing because of the gastric probs n all..:P..But off late I read that Red potatoes are better than the usual white/brown ones due to its low GI or so..Not quite sure there.Please enlighten me if you have an idea..So I am using Red potatoes now a days,n this is also made with it.I didn’t find any considerable difference in the taste as such..

 

Coming to the preparation,”Mezhukupuratti”(for non-mallus I know its like Hebrew to you..:D..just means smeared with oil..mezhukku-oil..puratti-smeared) is a unique Kerala style preparation ,in which the veggies are just cooked n the smeared with some oil n stir fried.Like Poriyal for Tamilians,though they add some more ingredients.We malayali’ can make Mezhukupuratti’s with any veggie available..:P..It simple ,nutritious(as its not over cooked n fried) n tasty.Potatoes are usually cooked in this category in two ways..One when onions n spices are just crushes n added with potatoes n the fried with oil in open pan,at the end of which it’ll be totally coated,crisp n brown.But no need to say,it consumes more oil n takes a lil more time,though very yum.This one is simple n a much more healthier version.Potatoes are not browned n not very much crisp.But soft n tender..:)

 

Cook two medium sized potatoes in water n salt, in microwave for 5-8 minutes..or in a pan with water till its lil soft .

Take out,peel the skin n chop into pieces ..keep aside.

Take a pan,heat some coconut oil or any cooking oil n pop in 2 pinches of cumin seeds n 1 tsp mustard seeds n 3-4 broken red chillies.

Let it splutter,now throw in a stalk of fresh torn curry leaves n fry till its really fragrant.

Add 1 cup of thinly sliced onions,sprinkled with salt n 1/2 tsp turmeric powder n sauté till its soft n golden.

Now throw in the half-cooked potatoes n mix well.

Sprinkle 1.5 tsp Red chilli powder,3/4 tsp pepper powder,n a pinch or two of garam masala.

Sauté n mix well with the potatoes.Adjust salt

Sprinkle lil water on top n close the pan with a lid.

After some time,when you open the pan,the potatoes  will be soft n will break if pressed with a spatula.That's the right level we need.

Now mash few more curry leaves in oil n sprinkle on top n just fry for a couple more minutes.

 

Kizhangu Mezhukkupuratti

Verdict: Simple yet so tasty.Rice ,curd  n this dish makes such a comforting combination.Coconut oil n fresh curry leaves are the key to taste here.Potatoes which are soft n tender can be mashed in with rice,take a mouthful.. n you’ll just say yummm..:)..They are so pretty to see as well,with a burst of colors..yellow potatoes with bright red chillies n green leaves n tiny specks of mustard seeds here n there..!!:)

Sushma n Shabs were kind enough to pass me their scrumptious blog award..I am so delighted.The rule is to pass to 7 people who have a scrummy blog.But you know,thats impossible to pick 7..

Scrumptious

Did u like that cutie pie fairy??..Soo sweett..ain’t she.?..So please pick her to adorn your tasty blog(nutty chatty blogs as well.;) ).:)

I’ll see you all next week..Have a yummy fun n food –filled weekend..:)

hugs

StumbleUpon

55 Luv'ly people shared their views..:

Sakshi said...

Ola I am the first here today??

Sakshi said...

Wow you got new ramekins? So cute and damn useful they are no wink wink!

You don't like potatoes because of its gastric problems? Why re...it's such a pressure reliever no? I love potatoes and just like to take a walk outside my home after eating it. So no pollution inside :)

I always ate my potatoes as a kid and I think your Regula had some other hidden dish which she never showed you coz I never gained weight and got beautiful eyes eating potatoes :(

PS: I noticed that you told only bloggers who have tasty blogs to pick up the award...sniff...sobs. You just wait. One day I too will own a tasty blog...sobs!

Padma said...

Delicious fry and tempting pic Varsha... and congrats on your award :)

chakhlere said...

Wow Its my all time fav. Now I have to make it and have it!!
Yumyyyyyyyy Varshuuuu!!

Congrats for the award!!

mangala said...

Hey ..varshu papu ...i am soo happy that u still remeber me !Regula sweet name ha ! looks like she was soo cute ..:P
hey i can't be regula i am here dracula .hehhe
hey nice post dearie as always ..This potato stir is always my fav! Thanks for sharing!

Lakshmi Venkatesh said...

Looks very nice and very tempting. beautiful colour.

Please participate in A.W.E.D German. http://delightsofcooking.blogspot.com/2009/08/awed-german-event-announcement_01.html

Smitha said...

Have fun lazing around :)
Nalla photos. Simple recipe too

Smitha said...

Have fun lazing around :)
Nalla photos. Simple recipe too

Poornima Nair said...

I was the opposite, potatoes were probably the only thing that I would eat without complaining when I was a kid...that looks so yumm...could have it for snack.

My Experiments with Cooking said...

Last pic won my heart!Simple and heartening food I say.

Shri said...

Yummy dish, Varsha!Although I can;t understand Malayalam , I have eaten this dish in my friend's house I believe.The name sounds familiar..I love your dishes from puttu to Appam to the veg curries!

Ann said...

Even I loved potatoes as a kid..Recently have minimised bit..its not that the dish is simple,whether its tasty is the matter Varsha..looking yummo..now,hope you will have a peaceful sleep..lol..hugs

Parita said...

I have always loved potato fry though i dont like potatoes in my curry, simple fry is good for me, your click looks gorgeous varsha and congratulations on your award dear..keep rocking..have a grt weekend!

Chitra said...

Looks nice.gr8 clicks :) love this poriyal...will add pepper powder next :)

Hari Chandana said...

WOW.. wat a delicious fry.. looks very tempting.. yummy clicks!!

Sharmilee! :) said...

I too luv potatoes, who doesnt like it :) Stir fry looks yummy, nice bright pics!!

Divya Vikram said...

Love the ramekin and the potato fry! Vibrant picture! And cute story!

Sushma Mallya said...

loved the picture and the dish too...looks really yummy...and congraz on ur award varsha, u truely deserve it for having such a lovely blog..keep going...have a great weekend...take care

Shama Nagarajan said...

hai dear...simple yummy comfort one...ur post remind me my school days......superb click....

Priya said...

Thats a delicious potato fry Varsha, pls collect some awards from my blog dear, u really deserve it..

Lena Rashmin Raj said...

conrads on ur cute award Ammuuuu.. :).... I LOVE POATOES.... and i like mezhukkuparatti very much...i was planning to put kappa mezhukkupuratti....same way i make it.. :)but kappa is still in kerala..wen my amma n achan comes for onam, den i wl get kappa.. :)

sangeeta said...

the story of Regula seems to portray potatoes as some beauty potion...he he.
my hubby is an absolute potato lover n me an anti potato.......lol.
this preparation we use for dosas mostly....n is a fave at our place with minor differences.

pics are great n the ramekins make me think ..i need to get a few of them.......

Sunshinemom said...

I saw your profile picture and I must say you have become a princess eating potatoes since that day:).

I like mezhukupurattis - we call them varattis - another tongue twister!

Subhie Arun said...

i luv potatoes..tis one is jux the perfect!

Shabs.. said...

hey, nice one ketto..loved the picture alot...nice colour combo...and by the way, i dint know mezhukkupuratti means, smeared in oil....what a shame....I just dint think about it actually....I was a fuzzy eater like u while i was a kid, and I think all moms used to fool the kids the same way!!
But these days kids are smarter than their mom and they fool their moms!...likewise Whenever i yell at my 2 year old, he shows so much of mimicry and try to make me laugh by all means that I burst into laughter!!!So manipulative they are!

Pari said...

That's a quicky dish.This veggie is such a stress reliever.

srikars kitchen said...

lovely poriyal.. looks perfect & nice click..

Aparna Prabhu said...

He he he I love potatoes nd this kinda recipe we call Upkari vch is the most eziest among all....nd Gastric problem....i nevr found so....:P....nd m sure tht Gal never wanted ne ones eye to fall on her tiffin :P......Congrats

Priti said...

Nice clicks...looks cool..Congrats on your award dear

Vrinda said...

Yummy fry,would be great as masala dosa's fillings..tempting click

5 Star Foodie said...

Yummy potatoes, love the presentation!

Ana Powell said...

Lovely dish, beautiful colours and awesome photos.
Great work.
Have a lovely weekend x

A 2 Z Vegetarian Cuisine said...

Congrats on your award. Very delicious poriyal and an interesting read. Your photos rock.

Varunavi said...

I love potato in any form,my kids used to hate it before and now slowly started eating it if i microwave potato fries

Cute story

Reeni♥ said...

What a delicious way to eat our potatoes, Varsha. And red potatoes are my favorites! Congrats on your award - it is very cute!

Gita said...

Hey too made the same dish today :) I have to try it out with coconut oil, looks delicoius and comofrting Varsha. COngrats on your award dear.

Priya said...

nice click...delightful potatoes

Viki's Kitchen said...

Potato melukupuratti looks delicious dear. Congrats on ur well deserved cute award.

Soma said...

I had trouble saying the Mezuku...:-) I haven't heard of anyone not liking potato. the biggest fan would b my hubby.. LOL His potato is restricted now, for the reason that they are capable of turning a stick to a stout.

I am always looking for different aloo recipes, & this is a keeper.

Pavithra said...

Wow thats looking so good and who say no to this.. as usual great shots dearie... Keep going...

Home Cooked Oriya Food said...

lovely pix... the pix say it all - how yummy it must be...

Muneeba said...

Quick & easy potato recipes are best for those lazy days ... because they often turn out to be pretty darn tasty! Too bad u don't like them too much ... we LOVE them in my house!
I had a question abt the coconut oil .. I've never used it for cooking before .. is it the same one that ppl use in their hair??
And a million congrats on the award!

Cynthia said...

I love potatoes cooked this way. Served with rice and a pickle, it is such a satisfying meal.

Valarmathi said...

Yummy fry. Nice pic. Congrats on your award.

Nags said...

this is the only dish TH can make without supervision ;)

Sireesha said...

Happy ganesh chaturthi to you & your family dear :)
Potato fry looks Divine....
Soup 'N Juice Event is going on in my blog.Please do participate in it.

Vijitha Shyam said...

Nice ramkins :-)
Yummy fry. I love it with rasam. Simple & easy comfort food.

Hema said...

Perfect poriyal Varsha. Looks yummy.. Congrats on your award

Purva Desai said...

simple yet tasty all time fav comfort food

Aparna Prabhu said...

Varsha collect ur treat from my blog

Lena Rashmin Raj said...

you have been tagged..so plz visit my blog n accept it..waiting to know more about you by filling it.. :)

KF said...

Ur pictures are really tempting!! I love potatoes in all forms.

Shobana senthilkumar said...

Hi varsha,
nice simple poriyal...nice click near the window....
I tried ur veg pulav ...wow it was gr8 by grinding all the spices..thx for sharing.I thought of scraping u on the same day but was busy dear...anyway thx for sharing:)

Varsha Vipins said...

Thanks all..:) Thanks Aparna n Lena for the tag n awards..:)

Usha said...

Lovely post, and the mezukuparrati looks awesome. My mil makes mezukuparatti with plantains never tried with potatoes....would love to try some ! Congrats on your awards...

 
Creative Commons License
Will-O'-the-Wisp is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
.