Monday, July 27, 2009

No name..just some rants,that I want you to know..!!

Dear friends n readers..Hope you all had a great  happy weekend.Today,I am not here to share a recipe or food related memories or the usual stuff you find here,but with a heavy heart to ask you something n get a bit alleviated from this suffocating agony.So ,if you are a busy person please feel free to skip this..

I want to be 100 % frank here.So lemme start it from the beginning.As I have told on several occasions before ,I started this non-foodie blog some 2 years back n then converted this into a food blog one year back.I was a spinster then ,away from home n longing for good food n the passion for cooking ,passed on to me ,by my mom n grand mom inspired me to start cooking.When it comes to a blog,there were 2 people who inspired me,my husband who wanted me to start a food blog ,who showed me Sig’s space.I was awed by the cooking n photographic skills of Sig n just out of curiosity started this space.Initially on a slow pace though,I started putting recipes here and the pace increased once I reached US after marriage.So in short if I am inspired by someone,thats my mom/grand mom n then for a blog ,Sig.NO ONE ELSE..!!

Once I started putting recipes here n got friends n readers who write to me sometimes,I started getting(n still do) requests for traditional Kerala food that’s cooked by our mom’s in their kitchen,Nadan Malayali food.May be because I hail from Alleppey,quite close to Kuttanadu where I have spent the major chunk of ma life ..21 years..So my mom who passed me all those recipes was happy when she saw me putting it up here.(She is an up-to-date follower of this space)..n even at those times when I was getting bored n deviated from this space,the one thing that kept me coming back to here,was you..you all readers n friends who left loving n encouraging words here.Never once did I get any sort of weird or anony comment from anyone.Still,on Thursday morning when I saw this anony comment in my mailbox I was shocked to core.The commenter accused me of plagiarism and had left a link to this particular post. To my utter distress,I found the person blatantly accusing me of plagiarism,not that kind of photo flicking one,but where you contemplate a person’s recipe, make changes here n there  n then repost it..Does that sound weird/funny to any of you???I myself has raised my voice for other blogger friends regarding this issue,when some people flicked their pics n recipes.But this person crafted me as a cunning blogger who deviously edited her recipe according to my imagination and posted in my blog.I was dumbstruck n distressed,n the recipe in question ,a common traditional dish,my previous post..

I have few questions my dear foodie friends.We all get the recipes,especially the traditional ones from our household ie,mom’s..n we all know the traditional recipes follow a basic format..be it be the plain roast or fry or Varutharachathu or ularthu or whatever it maybe.It all has the same procedure with same amount of masala powders.Slight variations may occur according to the spice/heat toleration level of a person.Other than that its the same age old format.Who are you or me to claim a right on them,unless you are the first person to whip it up on this face of earth?Even I have seen the recipes I have posted,on other blogs.But have I ever came to you to make a fuss on it?Because a person with a normal level of common sense know how it goes.The post in discussion is my last crab post,in which I have properly linked to one of my old posts,from which I have derived the basic gravy format for the current one.Then how could anyone just roll my name in dirt n sit on throne mocking me??All these I have learned from my mom and I have never been inspired by anyone else,to make it clear.I am a very peace-loving person n never wanted to kick off a controversy..tried max not to make this post..But when I still see my name being tarnished n spoiled ,my heart aches terribly.I mailed the person two times regarding this,clarifying my views in a dignified manner,but never once did she respond to it.So ,what does that mean??.I appreciate her for her talent n effort,but this kind of attitude/behavior is simply intolerable n egoistic.THIS IS NOT MY BREAD N BUTTER.The only thing that I have earned from this blog are a handful of friends,n I hope I am right in believing so..n there is one thing called self-esteem/respect which I wouldn't trade at any cost,with anyone playing petty politics here..!!

Dear readers n friends..I have been always quite open in this space n have shared lots of nice times with you all..But when I see some playing cheap politics n drama’s for reasons unknown to me ,am sad.I really feel what's the point in this whole thing called blogging,when someone can easily play with you n your feelings..I saw many of you also comment there. ..wanting to know who the person is..but only few of them did respond to her in the right way.But I must add that other than that one anony comment,none came here to question me.Also many thanks n hugs to those who lent me their shoulder’s in this tough time…This post is open to you all.You can go through my views n choose to respond or be silent.Mebe unlike my other posts,this one wont yield any significant number of comments,am prepared to take it as well..:P..

Peace n smiles all of ya..

StumbleUpon

90 Luv'ly people shared their views..:

SJ said...

Varsha u nut case so long u took. I am in a hurry lemme put a zakas reply when i get home.

Vipins Gopinadhan said...

Well said Ammu. Don't get carried away with those idiotic comments.. I know how truthful you are.. Btw, the world is not full of good people, there are jealous people trying to spread rumors and play silly politics to spoil other’s name.. Don't worry, that's their life.. So Ammuss :) don’t get upset over these, prepare some cherry cake ASAP.. I’ll be home soon…!! Ah..did I say that we are going to your fav place #### for dinner tonight?

Vani said...

Hey Varsha, I read Shn's post and commented too. Had no idea she meant you. Are you sure she does though? I am very glad you wrote to her directly to clarify. I agree- there are many versions to traditional recipes, some in fact, identical to others. Take akki rottis of Karnataka - I bet you, you'll see at least 10 recipes in the blogosphere that are almost identical to mine! You are a wonderful blogger, VV and don't you forget that! Keep those recipes coming and stay positive!

Varsha Vipins said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SJ said...

Lady, I have nothing more to say cos your post says everything I had in mind. But I have one small doubt, if all those budhijeevis can clarify it for me I will be indebted to them. So if I make,
poori-chole (which ALL north indians make), idli,vade,sambar (which ALL south indians make),
ven pongal (which ALL tamilians make),
puttu kadala (which ALL keralites make),
pesrattu (which ALL andraites make),
bisibelebath (which ALL kannadigas make),
pathrode (which ALL S.Kanara people make)
Semiya payasam (Which ALL indians make)
should I link all the 19898768997777665544646648992827364544647843987446455728229297266536576536453453654635463546523453765483463673463764598237438387356353545224255252000009998876544335 food bloggers who made the same thing just by tweaking few ingredients???

If one wants to increase hits on their page there are other ways, not do dirty things like this. Or if one wants to keep ones recipes a trade secret -patent it.
Get a life people!

Reeni♥ said...

Oh Varsha I'm so sorry! You know it is possible to have the same recipe with the same ingredients - it happens all the time! Just pick a few cookbooks and look up some of the same recipes - what do you think your going to find? Please don't stop blogging - the world(and me!) needs you! I stand behind you 100%. I say carry on with your head held high. And don't give another thought to what's being said. You and I and your real friends know the truth. Much *Love* and lots of *Hugs*

Sakshi said...

Whoa at last you made the post and I am proud of you. I want to put this comment as Anon as all those smarty pants did in the other blog but then thats not just us ain't it? I am not scared to say that you are right and the other person is sounding too weird to me.

I am saddened to see that blogger playing such a cheap trick as I used to visit her blog regularly to peep at all those Kerala recipes; please note here I said Kerala not her blog name as all the traditional recipes featured there are made daily in every household back in kerala. I admired her for painstakingly documenting it for us readers but am astonished to see that she kinda wants to patent it as her own just because now we all have damn expensive cameras and funky accessories to put a poor crab roast in? In the name of coconut how can someone say that Nadan Nandu Roast is her and only her families kitchen secret. Come on my mom made it and she tried to stuff it down my throat a number of times. So I remember the varatharucha taste too well to forget it ok??

I don't understand why someone gets offended when another Keralite puts up a traditional recipe? is it because you think you are the first one to start a kuttanad food blog? come on google will throw up 100s of recipes in a second. The worst part I felt after reading all those comments there was the holier than thou attitude...Let's Move on..Oh yeah first you put up a post accusing someone, moderate comments and answer to only those who have said oH you poor baby, hugss, Come on tell the name, don't spare the copy cat, and in all this drama drop the crab roast name like USA missiles on Iraq...WTF??

I know most of the commenters there replied saying sweet words coz they didn't know she was talking abt you and like any blogger they thought she was talking abt someone flicking her entire post and tweaking it or whatever..I know many would feel just like what Vani wrote here. How come the blogger didn't reply to you and she was saying about having proof and all...wahh!!

I am just hoping if this is the blog rule then soon some middle eastern blogger would accuse her for posting cucumber salad and pita bread as I am very sure that it is not a kerala recipe and a mallu cannot come up with it just out of the blue...So you just relax and keep blogging as we all know your blog rocks and you always take us down the lanes of kerala with all ur yummy traditional recipe...Sigh!! I want to keep on writing but I think someone here is fuming at me right now for using the laptop.

Btw please someone flick my photo and post it on their blog as I want to put a post and get comment from my better half saying he will take me to my fave place for dinner *keeping my fingers crossed*

Love and hugss to you and yes we all have made some good friends here and that is all that matters.

Sakshi said...

Oh la it is my biggest comment ever...sigh all for my love to u sweety...keep blogging and keep lending me ur space to put my mind too ok??

SJ said...

From all this circus my husband is the happiest . He now claims that there is a 'scientifc reason' for him not able to cook i.e, God didn't show blessings on him. Damnit!

Sakshi, WTF is my dialogue I am going to sue you for using it and not linking my name.

Sakshi said...

SJ come on WTF is used by every single kid in USA and being an Indian how dare you patent it?? We can file for a patent together for Shadap though as am sure Rush will not even bother to accuse us. And yeah glad J doesn't have the chef blessings or what u say the blessed hand??

Sharmila said...

Varsha ... I commented there too ... and it is because I feel very strongly about plagiarism ... I am not a regular there even! But I had no idea at all that it was about you!
In fact I had asked to disclose at least the name ... if not the link ... so that we would know.

How sad! I have always liked your recipes and writes ... and am really feeling bad now.

How right you are ... ther are so many common recipes in the world ... just because someone has posted them first does not mean we are copycats! Take heart dear ... and chill. And don't stop that flow of wonderful recipes and snaps! :-)

Nags said...

The politics among food bloggers amazes me. I am just going to stick to my funda - live and let live.

Honestly, when I saw that post, I started reflecting on all my recipes, over 200 of them! Then I thought its not worth the effort and discarded the idea.

I have no clue what to say, except, if you are true to yourself, that's enough :)

Ramya Bala said...

Varsha,
So sad to hear...and u know what?few months back one of my blogger friend was talking abt the very same person,who asked her to remove some kerala recipe post claiming copyright for that ;)...and this poor blogger got scared and removed the post,as the blogging is her life...I just love ur recipes and so do others...as ur DH said,dont get carried away with these comments...CHeer up Gal!

Smitha said...

I, personally, don't think that anyone is the king/queen of a kitchen to say they own a recipe. In that case, there maybe only a handful of cooks in this world.
So, now,Varsha don't stop blogging. Keep going strong. I know there are some of us who will always be there for u, to be happy for all the chirping on your blog.
Cheer up ! Don't waste anymore time sitting and crying. Keepgoing stronger than before. Ok.
Let ur next post be full of cheer and fun and a wonderful recipe. I or infact we are waiting eagerly.

A 2 Z Vegetarian Cuisine said...

Varsha, don't worry this is not a scientific invention to get a patent. Can you get patent for the rasam and sambar recipes, i might be making it the same way millions of others make and this was the recipe which was passed on to me from my Mom and to her from her Mom.

Varsha Vipins said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Helene said...

I have to say that I would not be happy with that kind of comment.

I am from Québec and every family has their own meat pie recipe. Yes you can see almost the same recipe on every blogs from Québec. This is life. We do a variation, that becomes our family recipe and we share it.

Continue to do what you are doing.

veggie belly said...

So sorry to read about this. There are only so many ways to make a classic recipe - doesnt mean its plagiarism!

My Experiments with Cooking said...

Awww!Ignore everything and let's cook something sweet :)

Shama Nagarajan said...

hey dear ,traditional recipes are almost same....that's the fact...reality...we must accept it...why do you worry about those comments?......leave it dear.....carry on your work happily....am happy and blessed to have a friend like you...cheers

Sathya Sankar said...

Hey Varsha, You are a wonderful blogger, ignore all those comments and continue posting !

Nithya Praveen said...

Hugs to u Varsha...nothing shud put u down....come back with a bang with an amazing recipe.Jes ignore the rest!

Indhu said...

Hey Varsha,
am totally with what SJ said... you are a wonderful person and I love your blog... just keep the great recipes coming :)

VineelaSiva said...

I nominated u for the Kreative blogger award.Do check my blog.

RAKS KITCHEN said...

Oh Varsha,I am with SJ and Nags....There are so many basic recipes for each state,ex..Arachuvitta sambhar,but we cant go and check if this blogger that blogger hav copied from mine..here...there....

Dont worry if you are accused for what you have not done...just leave it ....

And if that particular blogger dint mailed you personally,then dont even care...may be some other who read that post maight hav thought that its you and gave u the anon comment and link...So why u care ... Think that u r not coz u dint copied anyone,so y u bother...

and if you stop blogging more then u make it true so come up with more authentic recipes from ur mom!!

jayasree said...

When you are true to yourself, nothing else matters. When it comes to traditional regional recipes, ingredients and method must be almost the same.

Don't give up blogging. Take your time , but do come back.

Suparna said...

hey Varsha,
cheer up sweetie :)I dont know what to say :( stay ur happy self coz u r best that way!!I totally agree with Nags...that's the best policy ever...move on girl, no use of dwelling over things that pull u down, wish to see u around cooking happily :)and presenting the recipes bindaas!!
love ya
God bless :)

Varunavi said...

Dear Varsha think this is a bad dream and forgot about all what she has said.
What ever the world say you know you are not wrong and continue the way you do it :)

Cheer up girl :) :) :) :)

Hugs to u :) :) :) :)

Ann said...

Hey Varsha,you are not a small girl anymore..I am so happy for you..coz,this is what excites me in Varsha..Always open and say what you feel like..
Btw,I was the one who commented first one the said blog.I used to admire her blog and her writing too dearie..But honestly this post was a real interest,nothing more like you know its a unique version of Plagarism she mentined there..haha..
Thats 100% true that most of our dishes are same.Like we cant give any other name to Puttu and make it in a frying pan..we need the same ingredients..Anyway,this for now has come as a real topic of interaction for us bloggers..we should think about this..
Btw,everybody got an attitude deaire..We all know that.Now you have comeup with a honest perspective and am so proud of you
And you know you have posted a "Pavakka Pulinkkary" one week after I posted the same..haha..Honestly i came here to see that and obviously there were few changes i noticed to try next time..and as such i have a few recipes which i am the real creator as such..
Varsha,i loved the way you conducted this and am happy that you are in true spirits...
I hope this will be discussed with due imporatnce among we all foodies here
hugs and do come with more..

lata raja said...

Agree with you on following traditional recipes. Just let it all be, take the brickbat and go on as usual.Btw, congrats on the Kreativ blogger award nomination by Pavithra.

Kitchen Flavours said...

Sometimes things like this show how important you are and what place you hold in their heart...so this is all part of blog life...i think...think it to be some publicity stunt and just forget.....have a beautiful evening and kick back with some delicacy.......dying to taste some authentic recipe....cheerssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.

Sush said...

Cheer up girl.., we should be ready to face such situations. I completely agree to Nags comment. As long as you are true to yourself, dont give a damn to others.

jayasri said...

hi, varsha, The best post i have ever seen, When i started my blog i thought people might think i am copying their posts, But, once my friend who has subscribed in my blog and who doesn't leave any comment said, i love the recipes you post because it remembers me as if my mom is teaching me, actually she was the first one to subscribe to my blog, she has even had food i have cooked and that is much more interesting, I am with sj, nags & Raks, their are 101 authentic recipes out their and every one is cooking the same with a very slight variation in their powders are alterations, just don't worry about such things anymore, keep on posting your recipes, I have seen in some blogs that they create some odd recipes which is all new to us and we can certainly try it out, and all authentic recipes are all same, we need ur creations now & that is what, stop crying your heart out for from stupid comment, happy blogging PS: I usually do not go through your non-veg recipes because i am a veggie so i do not know about the comments.
keep smiling lovely girl and make that cherry cake ASAP ! love & lots of hugs from jayasri.

sangeeta said...

hey varsha...cheer up baby...

you know some people are so sick and think that they are the Dr.knowall....and always remember one thing baby, people try to malign your personality when you have one....she might have been well aware of the fact that it was a traditional recipe , but it's clear that a good blog shaping up which is 'younger' than her's became a problem with her...you know what i mean....also , it reminds me of the psychology of so many people who can't see anybody getting good reviews .......

i know it hurts....but the straight forward post you made about the blogger , shows clearly,to anybody who is interested, that you are a truthful person and wouldn't take any rubbish...

and Sakshi dear i am worried about my whole wheat pita which i serve with cool cucumbers being objected by some mideastern blogger....hmmm...

take this opportunity to recognise some dual faced friends....why there are so many anonymous comments there?

keep rocking ...wanna see you twice a week....at least ...here on this space..

sangeeta said...

i agree with nags...why 'live and let live' is forgotten.....

Sushma Mallya said...

Hi varsha first time here and i totally agree with you that most of the basic recipes what we have share almost same ingredients and the person pointing tht it is her recipe fails to realise tht most of our granny or mum's recipe carry the same ingredients with a slight varition here and there.....I truely think we all have come here to learn from one another thts what blog is all about so it is nice to stay tht instead of just posing tht the recipe is hers or some one else's

Gita said...

Varsha...this is so sad to read...I am used to reading all your happy thoughts :( Dont worry about all those rude remarks... No one can claim these authentic recipes are theirs...thats shocking. SOmetimes there will be different versions of these recipes and sometimes these recipes stay the same in every household...so just forget everything and keep doing what you do dear...cheers :)

Parita said...

So sorry to hear this varsha, there are thousands..or rather millions of way to recreate a traditional recipe , this all doesnt mean anything, everybody here is with u and loves you dearie, dont stop blogging because of this! Infact prepare yourself a sweet treat, dont let these cheap tricks get to you!

Aparna Prabhu said...

Sweeite........dont worry at all because each person differs and all are not good in these days.........don get upset for such shit.....and the same recipe will be posted in many more places tht does mean its copied and u cant link each nd everyone.........we have so many traditional dishes........Dont stop wht u r doing nd m proud to say tht u wrote against it.....if we kept quiet things wud get more......And always remember Gud things get Gud rewards.........I just learnt tht some days bac when i got hurt by something......Cheer up Gal

aquadaze said...

hey varsha...can't even start to imagine how terrible you must have felt to be accused of such a thing. That you are a very sincere blogger and true to what you do comes through in your posts. So don't let that post affect you. Hope you put this behind you and come back with your usual entertaining posts :)

Yasmeen said...

Hey Sweetie! Don't let one blogger's preposterous claim let you down.SJ ,Sakshi & other buddies who already have commented here have such good reasons for you to ignore and move on.Cheer up and feed us with more of your delectable creations :D

Bergamot said...

Just ignore those comments...I mean we blog to share what we cook and very often it is traditional handed down recipes which are common knowledge with some twists of our own. I do not understand the possesiveness about a recipe... once you have posted it online, it is open to be tried, twisted and reposted in a different form too. So this other person needs to understand this and that too she made a comment on a traditional and common recipe. Just get on with it and continue blogging. Let it not affect you :-)

Doloncookbook said...

See what I feel is traditional recipes are alaways same ... the ingredients , the process is the same alaways ... If someone posted some traditional recipe that doesnot mean that nobody can post that recipe again ... I am following your blog for quite a while now & I know you are a very good blogger . So don't worry & keep up your good work ... & yes you did very good by asking her back .... I appreciate your work & honesty dear ...keep rocking ...

vidhas said...

Hi Varsha,

Ignore the comment and go ahead. As all said tradional recipes will be the same or slightly differ. I love your writing and amire the way u write. We are always thre for you dear.

Santhanu Nair said...

Don't you know that Varutharacha Njandu curry was first discovered 1.5 years ago? Whatever that existed before that was just Njandu curry.
Just chill and post 5 more varutharacha njandu curry recipes.

Medhaa said...

Hi Varsha,

I am a silent reader of your blog, I also read the post you were referring to, but did not comment there since all these are personal issues and she should have solved it personally.

You have been really brave to come out in open and I will support you in all ways.

I had been through something similar, where i asked my mom for a traditional recipe which she emailed to me and I happily blogged about it, just to receive an email few days later, the recipe was taken from Alka's Blog, she was sweet enough to email me and then we cleared everything out. But the first time I saw that email and went to look at her blog I was so heart broken. I cannot forget those days, I removed the recipe and put in her link, the blogger was so wonderful she made me feel better and now we r good friends. I wish everyone were like her. She had all the proof but still she dealed with it with care. Now I just ask my mother the method and I write it down, mama too realizes the importance now.

You are a lovely blogger and please be positive and do not let this effect you in anyway.

Hugs Medhaa

Urs....Jina said...

Hey

For one thing Im glad you posted this coz I was in a serious dilemma. I dont know you or Shn personally. But both of you are almost like my long lost friends..coz its your blogs I turn to when nIm in need of a recipe (ofcourse Shn has seniority coz I found her first and has tried out half her recipes and Im just getting there for yours,but nevertheless love ur blog too.)

And it seriously hurts to see an exchange like this.And like I wrote in Mishmash s blog---what shocked me was to come to know its you/or rather it was talking about you.

I dont want to take sides coz I love both your blogs and honestly think both of you have different styles of writing and presenting and both are great blogs to read and reproduce the recipes.But just wanted to give my 2 cents from that perspective. Coz everyone is either favour of you or favour of her and I think thats not done. this is not some war camp.I seriously believe its just a friendly misunderstanding.

--Like everyone said one can never be sure whether a recipe is flicked or not coz of the so many reasons which everyone said...But leaving that, and just looking at Mish mashs post and your post, my gut sank..coz they seriously looked like different dressed twin sisters.Hazards of recipe from similar region and background I agree.But to see two recipes look like that arouses suspicion.(which might be base less as you say) But just maybe that alone might not be the issue.And I dont know what it is.And if you hadnt posted this, I would have never known what you thought and wouldnt have known how to view your blog.

---If you wrote to Mishmash explaining your stand, I truly think you deserve a reply.(I shall copy paste this comment there too.)

I believe you both. If you say, that was not inspired from anyones blog, I trust that.But I also believe that there was something which made Shn write that post.And I refuse to believe its petty politics.I hope you two can resolve it..Plz plzz..

And dont get disheartened..Plz keep blogging

Mangala Bhat said...

Hey Varshu , R U crying ..my dearie ..very sorry for u ..even i am also crying ..here
Be brave ..bang back with more authentic and yummy recipes dear ..A Big Bear Hug to u ! Cheer up dearie :)
Even i don't know who is that ? let me know plz:((

Mangala Bhat said...

Hey ..Derie Varshu papu ...I am here to ..pray for u dear u will be alright ..
:) Lean on my shoulder


warm regards
Mangalu

ARUNA said...

yeah even i say the same that ur husband has said Varsha......its so idiotic!!!!! And don't even waste ur emotions on such comments yaa, they really don't deserve that attention! I wud say they r just attention seekers!!!!

ARUNA said...

some people r just troublemakers and they r happy only when they hurt others.....just ignore them!

mathew said...

well well...seems like accusations and counter-accusations are blowing over...people taking sides on who is right and who is wrong...and glad to see sensible comments like from Jina...

Let me tell first of all that there are lots of misinterpretations flying around in both blogs...

1) Mishmash had never claimed as the original creator of any dish...
2) Secondly both bloggers are popular on their own right and absolutely has no reason to be jealous of each other..
3) Mishmash had put the post based on a history of posts and not just one. And she is definitely not a person who would want to blame a person unless she has got reasons for it...
4) Will O Wisp features lot of recipes which are not featured in the other blog …

I have read the post here…as well at mishmash...tried to comprehend both the posts…Well you all must be agreeing that both bloggers have own reasons and arguments !! I am quite confused though coz am sure mishmash is not someone who would accuse just for the heck of it...And if the recipes mentioned in Will O Wisp are purely coincidental it goes without saying Varsha deserves a much better deal!!

I am not a lawyer…neither am I good at making a judgment here after reading both posts and comments...But it’s getting really bad when people are imagining things about others personality based on the two posts…And again though it mind be tempting to get sarcastic and make some hard hitting statements from patrons (for lack of a better word) I wish the commenter’s let Mishmash and Will O Wisp to figure it out between themselves…

And to be honest I feel whoever has made the mistake (true to your conscience), there is absolutely nothing wrong in owning up to other person in a private mail….that in my opinions is true judgment of your personality… much bigger than what a blog statement/approval from fellow bloggers can espouse..

I am sure both bloggers want to get behind this as soon as possible…and I sincerely wish it’s put behind soon!!

Poornima Nair said...

Varsha I'm so proud of you for writing this...its really brave of you.
I had no idea Shn was referring to you, it was a shock actually. I too left a comment and asked her to disclose the name as there has been a lot of plagiarism going on and I feel very strongly about it.
But I just realized that she did not mention any particular dish and now that I know it seems real stupid. Don't all of us mallus prepare food the same way, there are so many blogs out there that feature the same recipe. How many are you going to accuse of stealing?
For whatever reason Shn wrote that post, she owes it to you to reply to your mails. In the mean time, I really hope you forget about all this and don't even think of giving up blogging. Your posts are what I turn too when I run out of novels:)...don't take that away...hugs.

Anonymous said...

Mathew,

I feel sorry for all bloggers who got pulled into this.

Some just blindly followed Mishmash's every word... you can't blame them - they werent given a chance to decide for themselves. They were fed with thoughts and perspectives. I'm very sure, some are thinking about what they said - and now knowing that it was Varsha she was talking about - feel embarrassed!


If mishmash, really wanted to make her point, she could have linked openly (even better, not even discussed this with her readers, but solved it 1-2-1)

Oh... btw, I honestly dont see her providing some link-love to any blogger...

And who threw the first 'tomato' to put in foodie terms?

Mathew, go read Mishmash's disclaimer... me, mine, myself kind of dialogues... that you have no right to republish, "re-write" or republish! Cmon! is this copyrighted material? Photos I understand... but text?

FYI... a bit about law... there's a diff b/w process and product patents... if she qualifies for it... so be it!

Solution? Creative Commons.

http://creativecommons.org/about/what-is-cc

Oh, and ur right she didnt claim it as her own... but her mothers!

The sad thing in all of this is the commenters... they adore the blogger... and that kind of adoration can really get to the head... making the blogger think of himself/herself as "holier than thou"

You're right... there was no need of any of this... perhaps the person who threw the first tomato... should...well..think about an apology?

But who are we to say?

Happy Blogging Experience to you all

T.R.

Rush said...

wats goin on? why am i totally unaware of things around?

Muneeba said...

whoa ... I didn't see that anonymous comment. But I can understand why that would upset you. You did the right thing by openly addressing it on your blog. Now you should just brush it off and move on! It's not worth getting worked up over it ... you know you didn't do anything wrong .. and that person knows it too, deep down in their heart. We're all on your side Varsha!

Pavithra Kodical said...

Hi varsha.I completely agree with you. Most of the recipes will have same ingredients.The person has to use some common sense before blaming.I agree with Nags comment.Continue blogging the way you are doing.Cheer up and forget about all these politics.And be happy that you have such a lovely husband who is beside you at this time.

Divya Vikram said...

Hey Varsha,
Just happened to read your post. So sorry to hear about this. Glad you brought it out here. Dont get carried away by all these dear! We are all there for you!! Cheer up girl!!

Preety said...

i agree with all the things you said and no one has any copyrighted rights of any common recipes..i too make so many common things that we all Indians make..if we start pointing fingers then it will be never ending thing..i support you in all the way..i don't know who did this otherwise i would have lectured her also ..whenever i see these things i get angry and sad too as this is the way we are trying to hav fun and share our food ,make good frnds but these kind of people try to ruin everything..

its good that you shared this with everyone

chakhlere said...

Hey Varsha!
So many people have said so many nice things which i really agree with. I just want to tell you that I love your blog so much, and Your blog is most original and most creative blog I have seen.

So just ignore stupid people like these and keep up the good work.
Cheers!!!

My Experiments with Cooking said...

Varshaaa!no sweet yet? I want you to make a nice sweet dish. And by the way you said u don't know my name. You can call me - hb @ cooking demystified :)

Valarmathi said...

Varsha,

Ignore everything. You know u r true to yourself and we know that too. Cheer up dear. Keep blogging :)

miri goes phishing! said...

hi varsha...would you believe i have been following mishmash for a while now and discovered your blog only today and that too via orkut. i saw a blog link there for mushroom olarthiyathu...in the community 'hardcore kerala recipes'.

I love the look and feel of you blog. I really don't have any intentions of take sides here but i think mishmash's views are misplaced. i don't understand where her bitterness is coming from.

I'm fairly new to blogging, so i don't know if my views are wrong. If you post a recipe here, i guess its given that others will try it and adapt it. I thought sharing the experience was the main motive here...i completely understand that its wrong to copy & paste the photo from another blogger when someone has tried out a recipe and wants to post it. Cooking as an art/skill is to be passed on. Obviously i have not put in the hours you both have spent on cooking and blogging abt it and don't know if that would make me look at this differently.

But truly would you feel bad if someone else posts a recipe that they have seen in your blog and tried it out and posted a blog abt it? Btwn...just noticed that you have received more comments than her post...;)

Chitra said...

Nobody will believe this varhsa..Somebody is trying to put u down.Be alert.Dont let urself down by listening to all these non sense.:) be happy and keep rocking :)

Soma said...

Varsha.. my hugs to you, & i can perfectly understand how you feel. I have never been to that blog, this was my first time from your link.. I would think if i made an authentic recipe, anyone familiar with it & who grew up the same way as i did, would do exactly the same.. something do not change!! i have no idea how people get the heart & TIME to accuse someone else.. they should just live their own life & let live..

i know whatever i write here, you will still feel heavy in heart... takes all the juice of inspiration away. sending my hugs & understanding to you. & please know that you have readers who know who you are & that you will never plagarize.

Roopa said...

Hi dear Varsha, just happend to read your post, read Mishmash's too....Though I used to follow the latter's post last year and such, I think I know You better , and I feel you are innocent in this matter. Dont worry, this will get over soon. Just a matter of time, I am sure those who wrote accusatory remarks about you in the other blog, will (if not apologize to you directly) will follow your blog, atleast anonymously for its good quality posts as its one of the best blogs I have known. Cheer up !

Viki's Kitchen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

varsha, i have been a slient reader of ur blog and i admire it very much. let me say one thing everyone post a recipe so that others could try for their family. pls dont get distressed, maybe both of you should get it settled

Shabs.. said...

Hi varsha,
I'm a close follower of ur blog and mishmash's blog as well. Recently i saw her post and i did comment there. I hate copying and thats y I commented. because u know how difficult and time consuming blogging is, and copying is just not ryt. I thought somebody really stole her recipes. 2 days back somebody commented in my blog(I dint publish it) that u r the one who is behind that issue and the post was njandu varutharachu. I compared urs and hers and cudnt find any resemblance. Infact it was too different..I felt quite bad for u actually....And as u told all the main dishes have a proper recipe which is slightly modified to suit ones taste. And thats how new recipes are born.... I thought she reacted a bit too much on that. I'm really sorry ketto...I mean it. Please accept my sincere appologies...I dint know she meant u...
Dont stop blogging, pls continue.

Prathibha said...

Gal,forget everything and come back with a bang dear...cheer up...just post some new recipe..

Manasi said...

Hey babe, read the post in a hurry and wanted to comment but didn't get the time. Nevertheless, you have all the support you need here. So like everyone else suggests just go ahead and keep writing, only way to get this out of your system.

Nithya Praveen said...

You've recieved the Kreative Blogger award - http://aromasfrommykitchen.blogspot.com/2009/07/kerala-puttu-and-kadala-curry.html

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

So sorry to hear about this situation. With recipes that kind of thing is bound to happen (who knows the provenance of recipes) and to accuse someone of copying is harsh and an awful thing to happen indeed. Keep your chin up! :)

Purva Desai said...

Varsha I agree with you, as all traditional recipes have same ingredients used and these recipes are passed down by generations. There will be similarities in the ingredients and the method for preparing the same......dont get upset and continue the good work....

Priya said...

Oh my god...varsha am very sorry and sad..Just ignore all those accusations dear...Doesnt know how people can imagine this sort of silly things to a hard working gal like you..Be brave and never put u down dear..Cheer up:)

Superchef said...

i just saw this post ,girl!! Like what many others have said, dont you worry, we know how sincere n passionate you are and that this is a very serious accusation. I would just say - ignore this and move on...we are there with you and i still sooo depend on you for many of the non-veg recipes :)

aquadaze said...

something for you on my blog :)

Varsha Vipins said...

Thanks..thanks a lot to each n every one of you..for the love n support..I am really cool now n will be back soon with a bang..;)
see u all soon..hugss..:)

Arch said...

Good to see your're over it, sunshine girl !! dont let this pull you down...you are so full of enthu and energy and passion to cook, just go ahead and churn out more posts :) *huggs*

tinu said...

hi varsha...saw ur post only today...i had read mishmash's post that day itself but didnt give much thoughts to it...
well, now on revisiting , i think what she cud hav done was to send u a personal mail asking for a clarification n if she doesnt get any, may she cud hav gone public....

i luv both ur blogs...n hope u too dont take anythng personally...

but i dont know y , i felt sad after reading ur post...a chirpy jill-jill girl shudnt be down like this..cheer up...my mom is from pulincunnu n so i luv ur alleppey talks a lot...
luv

tinu

Make the Impossible...Possible said...

I believe you got more comments than your other food posts..which clearly shows that you have lotsa of people around to love and motivate, encourage you. Don't get bogged down by someone's idiotic reasons. C'mon...expecting another adipoli post on spicy yummy kerala nadan, varuttharachadu, pozhichadu, karichethu, karincheydhu recipe.. aiyo...aduppu kathikku dey........

Sakshi said...

78 comments now come on are you on a record breaking spree for comments? New post please!

Priti said...

Oh Varsha...I feel so sorry for you...how can say things like this for u..but the thing is you just ignore...there are many ppl making dishes the same way..just because they blog first doesnt mean we are doing any wrong..keep up the good work you are doing all this while and just remember gal we love you and your blog ...

neena said...

Hi!

This is my first time here in u'r blog. I used to be a regular visitor of mishmash and through her plagarism post that i came to know abt u'r site. you have a wonderful site with lot's of yummy dishes.
I do understand that what shn did is wrong for accusing you, but hey she must have done that out of anger ..
It would be better if she give you an apology and settle things ....no fighting in blogosphere ok?

Btw, I'll be back for sure to try u'r recipes...I am a sucker for nadan mallu dishes and thanks to Shn(mishmash) for bringing up the issue , other wise people
like me wouldn't find your priceless blog dear.

Belive me here, Everything happens for the good !

God bless you and stay strong.

I don't want to leave a comment at shn's 'coz she's trying( i think) to move forward by posting new recipes

Varsha Vipins said...

Thanks Archana,Sumi,Tinu,Priti,Sakshi n Neena..:)

Usha said...

Hey Varsha, I seemed to have missed this post of yours, so I am commenting late on this. I agree with you that traditional recipes are very similar, imagine recipes like aviyal, rasam,sambar idli etc will be made similarly in all homes with few variations.Please do not let this get you down, continue blogging....looking forward to many more yum posts from you :-)

Rajeswari said...

I started reading your blog after reading the accusational post on the 'other' blog..maybe this whole thing only made your blog more likeable!:)Anyone who knows some decent kerala cooking can 'recite' the recipe of a 'varutharacha curry'.Its 99.9% the same all over Kerala.All the best for you!Keep posting more of your natural homesickness remedies--"naadan recipes"!

Cham said...

Hi Varsha,
I am back after a long break! Went through this post, hurt a lot!
I always love ur Tradi recipes and ur rants! Hope u re back 2 normal I will catch up all ur posts soon!
Keep rolling and cheer up babe!
Cham :)

Sonal said...

hey babes..sorry for such a late comment,
felt really sorry for you..it seems you became prey of "kitchen" politics here.
leave it gal..people around you..know you. so just cheer up :)
P.S.: but sure one day i will be blamed for coping 'Idli' recipe ..hehehehe

Anonymous said...

I dont know how i reached here,but somehow followed this controversy.I know it is a long forgotten one,but just wanted to let u know my appreciation about how well u stood for yourself and made a clear point. A pat on your back for that.
Btw,awesome recipes.Take care :)

 
Creative Commons License
Will-O'-the-Wisp is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
.