Monday, June 29, 2009

Spicy Chilli Porotta…!!

 Chilli  Porotta

 

 

Happy Monday everyone..I know am late n its evening now,but with only 4 working days ahead,it got to be a nice Monday kick starting this week,with much anticipations n plans for the coming long weekend..I didn't want to start the post on a sad note,but still ,June had been a month of losses..My favorite writer Kamala Das/Madhavikutty passed away leaving a permanent void in the literary arena and last week came the shocking news about MJ..n yesterday one of the famous n much adored director/script writer of Malayalam film world,Lohithadas also bid us good bye..Some losses are just un-repairable ..There is nothing,none to fill the gap that they left behind them.Haa..but that's the rue of life n that's how it goes..!

Weekend was bright n sunny with no signs of rain n we spent most of the time outside,n this time on my visit to Indian store I dint miss to grab the Porotta packets from the frozen aisle..Its been long since I was planning to try this dish,but always forgot it as we never buy any kind of frozen stuff other than grated coconut..For me,there are toms of memories associated with this one dish..When I was doing my Btech,back in Kerala ,I was staying in hostel with once-a-wee visit to home.Like in any hostel story,the sorry food served there made us resort to nearby hotels,that was specially aimed at us students n served all sorts of delicacies..One such restaurant close by was a Tamil one called Aryas,n they served this most yummy Chilli Porotta’s..even though we used to dig into their Masala Dosa’s n Oothappam’s n Pulav’s this one dish was a common favorite..Still remember those University exam times,when we would be terribly hungry after almost no sleep n full time study(u know..last moment study..:D),n to top it all ,bland food at hostel would make us go crazy n then we would order our junior’s(..;-) ) to go get some Chilli Porotta’s parcel for us..lol..n the best part is,we used to buy just 4-5  plates for a big group of us,n all the stuff dumped into a big plate n counting 1,2,3..we would just attack the plate..:D..Good old times..hmmmm..:)

 

 

 

Chilli  Porotta

 

 

Now,for  all those who have not yet got a clue about this dish,Chilli Porotta’s are spicy saucy dishes made with flour Roti’s called Porottas,torn into pieces and pepped up with onions,chillies etc n a spicy base.Its absolute yum n best when served with some mild Raita ( Yogurt based Salad).

Coming to how I developed this recipe..I wanted to recreate that restaurant taste n  Kutts also had  this in his favorite list,as he also used to gorge this during his Chennai days..All I knew  n could remember was that they had some saucy base in their recipe,but not the Chinese hot siracha type sauce.I spent a whale time hitting net n all the ones I got dint have any sauce,but the usual chilli-coriander base..Finally a fed up me,desired to whip it up myself.I wouldn't say I recreated the restaurant taste,but it was almost equally good n tasted really really good.I skipped the red color n added lots of tomato stuff..as sauce,paste,chunks etc..

 

 

Chilli  Porotta

Lets move on to the recipe:

Make your own porotta’s or if using frozen one’s bring it to room temperature.I dint deep fry it or so,as I like it bit soggy in my gravy..Purely optional..!

After toasting the Porotta’s ,tear it into pieces with a kitchen scissor and keep aside.I have used almost 4 Ceylon Porotta’s,which are rather big one’s to make that one kadai full of chilli porotta..

In a deep Saute pan,heat oil and add 1 inch cinnamon stick n 1 cardamom n 2 cloves.

When fragrant,splutter 1/2 tsp Fennel seeds n add a handful of curry leaves n fry.

Now add a tbsp of finely minced garlic n 1 tbsp of thin julienned ginger and saute till the raw smell goes.

To this add 2 cups of length-wise sliced onions,1/3 cup of sliced green/spring onions and 8-10 slit small green chillies and fry till golden brown.Half of the chillies can be removed now and kept aside to add at a later stage,as crisp bright chillies are the attraction of this dish..Again optional..

Now add a Tbsp of Tomato paste n 2 Tbsp of Tomato sauce ,1 Tbsp of Chilli Sauce(I used the less spicy version,not the Chinese kind..guess that would make the taste go in a different route)n mix well.Sprinkled some red pepper flakes as well for a kick.

After a minute or two add half a big juicy tomato ,chopped into cubes and 1/3cup  of chopped green peppers.

Add 2 tsp of Chilli powder,1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder,1/4-1/2 tsp Cumin powder,1/2 tsp Garam Masala(a mix masala of cinnamom,cloves ,cardamom,nutmeg n mace) and 1/2 tsp of Pepper powder.

Saute well,close n simmer to make the tomatoes go soft,but the peppers should be crispy.

After the tomatoes are cooked,mash it up to make a thick base.

Chop up some fresh cilantro n throw in,add lil water if it has gone too thick.

Now to this thick base,throw in the porotta pieces and mix well with the base.

Keep on mixing till each piece is well coated with the gravy.

At this point I felt the need of a lil more sauce n hence added some more tomato n chilli sauce,almost a Tbsp each.

Close n simmer for a while to let the porotta pieces soak in the gravy.

After 5 minutes or so open n check the taste .Throw in the reserved crisp chilies' n a give a quick stir.

Adjust salt n sprinkle some more garam masala on top.

Sprinkle more chopped fresh Cilantro,Kasuri Methi n a liberal amount fresh lemon juice on top.

Garnish with thin sliced green onions n lime wedges..

Time to dig in..!

 

 

Chilli  Porotta

Verdict : As I hinted before,not exactly the restaurant taste,but it tasted real good.Actually I don't exactly remember the restaurant taste now.I felt Ceylon Porotta’s were better than those small Malabar Porotta’s.Of course you make at home n that's the best.But that requires some real patience..:D..Adjust the sauce as per your liking,I have added some good amount here.

 

So foodies,do try this out and lemme know how you liked it..:)

Many thanks to Stony field farms for sending me in that beautiful tote n Okios Greek Yogurt Coupons..Hope to get some n try out soon..:)

Busy week ahead for me n the long weekend too..am not sure if I will post again this week ..so friends,have a blast n stay smiling n don't forget to have tons of food,after all that’s what's fun for us foodies..;)

 

Adios

Hugs

StumbleUpon

63 Luv'ly people shared their views..:

Manasi said...

Wassup Willowisp! Dropped in after a long time, good going!

Superchef said...

heyy...i love this!!!! we used to buy this from this restaurant Sangeetha in Chennai..they are also called kothu parottas...ohh my god!! now, i soo badly want some of it :(

Reeni♥ said...

I want to share a plate of this with you and have such fun like you used to! Have a good week! Miss you!

Gita said...

Chili parottas brings back so many fond memories for me too Varsha...during my college days, this was our favorite evening snack when I was hanging out with friends. Nice pictures dear...I am drooling :)

Nags said...

omg! that does look yummy varsha!

chakhlere said...

Hey thats a lovely innovative recipe!!
Grt clicks Varsha!!

Prathibha said...

Nice gorgeous pics varsha..They look absolutely yummy....

Padma said...

Lovely pictures ... this is one of fav ... just feel like having some now ....

Ann said...

Varsha,it seems you have not come out of the blues till now..this time your writing carries it heavily..Go on deaire..
I havent tried this recipe.Here also we get lots of frozen porottas.lemme give a try.
Looks tempting ketto.
Mol ingane blues aayalo.ippozhum oru kunju kuttiyeppolato varshakkutty enikku.come up ketto.next time ezhuthumbo aa pazhaya aarjavam varatte.athu vayikkumpol enthoru sugham.I love your writing style.hugs mole.

A2Z Vegetarian Cuisine said...

Looks lovely, what a great picture. Really mouth watering.

Chitra said...

hmm...lovely..i was searching this recipe..thanks varsha ..sure i'll try and let u know:)

Vibaas said...

Wow that looks yum! Didn't know it was called chilli porotta (and i'm from chennai!!) :)

My Experiments with Cooking said...

This reminds me of one random restaurant visit, when we thought chilli porotta would be porotta stuffed. But to our surprise we found something gravy-ish :D, just like yours. I was wondering how could that be made. It looks yummy I am sure to try this one :)

Suparna said...

hi varsha,
lovely post with beautiful bright picture and a write up to match the recipe :) this parota dish is new to me and looking at the pic it's a must try :) looks superb and mouthwatering
Have a great week and take care!
TC

Valarmathi said...

Looks lovely and yummy Varsha.

notyet100 said...

this looks yummy,..loved reading about ur hosteldays,..we used to do teh same,..:-)hppy week ahaead,..

Aparna Prabhu said...

Yeh xactly June was not such good...ne ways things happen nd we move on........yeh those coll days ver crazy though i wasn in hostel i remember those mad days.............the chilli parotta luks yum must try!!

Priya said...

Wow chilli parotta looks tremendous!

Parita said...

Delicious!! i have heard a lot about kootu parathas, looks similar, will try sometime soon!! Have a grt week ahead girlie:)

sowmya said...

absolutely droolworthy..love the spicy taste of it..

Navita (Gupta) Hakim said...

Awesome Varsha... I almost thought that I missed something when I read the title ut couldn't see a parotta in the pic...;p

loved this recipe...never tried yet! will do so soon...

how have u been?

Varunavi said...

Wow sounds great,never heard of this dish.Dish looks great :)

SJ said...

I like kothu parota! :D

Seena said...

God, I was about to post this, any way I post poned.. :) waiting for a good pic to post..
looks very spicy , oru choodulla chaya oppam varatte.. ithokke avide vannu kazhikkunnathu njaningane mano rajyam kandu nadakkuvaa.. :)

Varunavi said...

where is my comment gone?

RAKS KITCHEN said...

I too make this with frozen parottas always,but bit different from urs :)
Looks very nice!!

Preeti Singh said...

By name ...it clicked that it will be some stuffed parotta...but it is so different....looks so enjoyable and spicy...

5 Star Foodie said...

Lovely dish, delicious!

Make the Impossible...Possible said...

This is my fav too!!! Had lotsa of it ..I've prepared too at home..It tasted good too...will prepare sometime later...after my busy schedule...........

Pavithra said...

LOoking so delicious and absolutely gorgeous... Awesome click.. wish to have the whole bowl.

kittymatti said...

wow!! Looks so good, like all the picss!

Sakshi said...

Aww I have never ever had this dish neither in Kerala nor in TN...how did I miss it??? and to think of it I spend half of every single day of College in the nearby restaurants..Shame on me!! Let me go and get some frozen parantha and try this recipe out...maybe after the long weekend...u have a great time too!!

Sush said...

Although I have had the Kerala Parotta, I never got a chance to taste it. Your pictures are tempting me to taste them soon. Bright, attractive pictures indeed.

Poornima Nair said...

That looks so yumm, I had it for the first time in Ooty and I've always made it like I make bread upma. This is a great recipe, got to try it soon.

Pooja said...

Aww Chilli Porotta looks awesome Varsha! Oh no you have reminded me..will have a hard time controlling my cravings now! This is my all time favourite and used to have a lot when I was in India. Now I dont get Porottas here and need to travel 1.5 hrs to an Indian store to buy one!!

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

wow.... mouthwatering. i love this soooo much.

Home Cooked Oriya Food said...

Awesome looking dish... Wow! I want a bite here...

Shama Nagarajan said...

Welcome back after a week break..how r u dear ?...take care....u came out with my most favourite parotta....yummy yummy......tasty tasty.......

Vidya said...

looks verry tempting. Awesome clicks. I loooved reading about your college days Varsha - it reminded me of my own btech days. During the univ exam days, we used to have a mini canteen in the hostel that opened after regular dinner hours which we would line up in front of - of course with loads of books for last minute prep.

Yasmeen said...

Spicy and flavorful,completely new delicious recipe,I want to dig right in.Enjoy the fireworks (:

Uma said...

looks so yummy!! Gorgeous pics :)

Soma said...

I have never ever heard of this before. came by thinking of seeing some spicy parathas:-)LOL

something new to try out!

Priti said...

This is my fav..I made long time back..and ur version just bring back Chennai porota memory..bookmarked it

Food Fanatic said...

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Divya Vikram said...

AAh!! I miss chilli parottas now!! Looks too god girl!!

Priyameena said...

My fav too..Looks great...I also used to do the same thing in hostel..Last minute study and Lousy hostel food...ordering outside food and eating in the same plate for a big crowd..wonderful writing!!

Smitha said...

I've had chilli parotta once at a restaurant in India. Liked it alot.And about you saying it did not taste as good as the restaurant........I don't believe u. It looks scrumptious enuf.

sangeeta said...

i though it is a stuffed parantha with chillies ...he he......

never heard of parantha bits in a gravy......looks good ...
you will never find something like this in north Indian restaurants...i make a poha with leftover rotis or paranthas...
may be this is an answer to the pasta.....curried version of parantha pasta....he he..

Mangala Bhat said...

Wowwo! ..I love this recipe ..I had this in India ..One of my Fav!Hey Thanks for sharing dearie :P

Mangala Bhat said...

Nice Pics aswell .!!

Vani said...

Never had chili parotta before. Looks great, VV!

Thanks for checking my pic, btw. I meant to leave u a comment and totally forgot, with family visiting and M developing a nasty rash. I figured out that she has changed the ISO setting on the camera while playing with the camera. The last good pic was my eggplany moju one. But am glad the difference is not that noticable. Thanks again, hon!

munchcrunchandsuch said...

great click and the perfect chilli parotta..have a nice weekend.

Cynthia said...

Serve me up a plate of this amazing dish.

Viki's Kitchen said...

Spicy chilli parotta looks so delicious. seems like kothu porotta to me. Wanna have that plate now.

Kitchen Flavours said...

Hmmm....that's an yummylicious, spicy and tempting recipe....

Muneeba said...

Why do I not see this on restaurant menus around here?? I've never even heard of this till today ... now I feel like I've been missing out on something huge!!! *drooling* ... looks & sounds delicious Varsha :)

Ann said...

Wow great pictures and a fantastic recipe

Varsha Vipins said...

hey hi everyone..Mansi ..so good to see u back gal..:)
yea..guess many of u mistook it for stuffed spicy porotha's..lol..n can see mamny missing their college days n hometown fav restaurants..same with me as well..glad I could share the recipe..do try n let me know foodies..:)
Navitha,I've been doing great..hope u are all set now..:)
Seena chechi..vegam postanee...waiting..:)
Shame shame puppy shame Sakshi..really how culd a person who have been in Chennai miss this signature dish?..now do try this ok??:D
am good Shama..just slowing down things a bit..:)
Vani..no worries..I couldnt find any huge difference..again checked out..moreover am a morone in these cam geek stuffs..:(
Muneeba..check out in Tamil Indian restaurants..veggies ones..mebe u'll be able to find this out..:)
Thanks a ton each n everyone else..:)

Varsha Vipins said...

..n dear Ann chechi..thanks..n so many hugs to u..:)

Usha said...

Very interesting recipe, sounds wonderful !

AnuSriram said...

I make this at home frequently as this is a family favourite recipe... I crave for some whenever i think of it! Can u please pass me the bowl? Oh god! I'm helpless now... I don't have these parottas in hand :(

Roopa said...

Varsha, ithu nannayitundu ketto :) Ithine Kotthu Porotta ennum parayarundennu thonnunnu.

Bharathy said...

Looks delicious!!!!Love chilly parotta!! :)

 
Creative Commons License
Will-O'-the-Wisp is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
.