Thursday, June 11, 2009

SAVORY ITALIAN CHEESY PALMIERS..!!

 

 

Cheesy Palmiers

 

 

These Cheesy Palmiers are darn cute n pretty..The first time I saw it was in FN,on one of those lazy afternoons, when Sandra lee was shaping them up for her Semi Homemade meals..n I saw it has all the stuffs that I love..Puff Pastry n cheese blend..Now how good that can be?But I was sure apprehensive about the shape n whether I am gonna get it right…Finally I managed to get it somewhat ok I guess..:)..

Are you thinking if any  thunder struck on me yesterday night..:p..that I am going straight to the matter without getting on your nerves with my bantering..hee..Answer is simple..I am languid n blank today.Some stuffs going around,really got on me last few days n I am trying to kick all that outa my mind,n so its kind of cloudy there…Trying hard to find my Refresh button..:D

 

Cheesy Palmiers

Haa..So lets concentrate on these cutie pie’s..When Sandra Lee made them,I had a sudden urge to try this..I have tons of bookmarked recipes in my browser,but am not getting myself to try any of those..:(..so when I had all the ingredients needed,I thought why wait n set off to make it.The recipe sounded pretty bland to me,so I made certain modification n spiced it up..

 

Cheesy Palmiers

What she did was mix the cheese blend n spread it over the sheet  n wrap it in a tricky way to get the palmier cross section,slice n bake it..So basically nothing is there except the cheese.So I spiced it up with some roasted garlic,pepper flakes n seasonings..You can do it either way…n make your own twists like adding some spinach ,like we do for that famous spinach-cheese swirls..or add bacon bits or even minced boiled egg..(I could have done that..uff..:P)..Handling the puff pastry sheet itself is quite a job ,as it goes soft n moist easily in room temperature..n then when the cutting part too come it becomes something that requires some deft n patience..!

Here we go:

 

Sprinkle work surface with 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan.. Unfold thawed 1/2 box (17.3-ounce) frozen puff pastry sheet on Parmesan.

Sprinkle some salt n pepper on top.

Lightly beat egg with 1 tablespoon of water. Lightly brush puff pastry with egg wash.

Meanwhile roast 2 Tbsp minced garlic and 1 Tbsp chilli pepper flakes in a tsp of butter.

In a medium bowl, combine 2 tablespoons Parmesan, 1/2 cup of Italian cheese blend(Romano,provolone,mozarella etc), and the above mix. Sprinkle a thick layer of this, over surface of pastry sheet. Lightly press cheese into pastry. (I added some cheddar n pepper jack also)

Sprinkle more pepper flakes and a pinch of Italian seasoning over it.

Now the tricky part of folding or rolling the sheet.Fold top and bottom edges of pastry to the center. Next, fold pastry in half from left to right. Now, fold in half top to bottom.Now the cross-section should resemble a palmier.

Wrap and freeze at least 30 minutes. This is to make the rolled pastry sheet firm so as to easily cut through it.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.

Cut thin slices of the roll,again tricky.Have to do fast before it goes all soft or it may fall apart. Sprinkle "faces" of palmier with some more parmesan cheese and lay "face" up on prepared baking sheet, two inches apart.

Bake in preheated oven for 17 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Bubbling,soft yet crunchy palmiers are ready.

Cheesy Palmiers

Verdict: I loved it as I love pastry roll n cheese.But still I’d love to gorge into my egg puffs,than this..:P..as it is more spicy n filling n needs less effort n patience than this..:D.Garlic n pepper flakes gave it some more flavor n heat though..It has a biscotti texture n slightly harder on the outer layer.This will be apt for any party ,to serve as starters as they are mild n people will like it as a yummy crunchy start.n also I bet the kids will love them...!!

You can store it an airtight container and reheat in microwave for a min to get back the bubbling soft texture..When hot they give out this sizzle n bubbles n so its sure impressive..:D..!

..n how can I leave without thanking my dear Sangeeta..She is an amazing person n I have posted about her before..She passed me this cutie award

 

aw the sunshine girl

 

n her words,”frangipani indicates sunshine n happiness and i always feel that varsha is so bubbling with enthusiasm....nothing could be more appropriate for her.......” filled me with joy..Sangeeta,thank you so much n hugs to you..:)

Have a great weekend all of ya..!

TC

:)

StumbleUpon

65 Luv'ly people shared their views..:

Pavithra said...

Atlast you managed to do it..but really the output is good varsha.. looking so crisp and cheesy.. nice clicks, perfect for snacking too. Adding the spices to the original recipe would tasted great hah.. Great job!!!!

Nithya Praveen said...

Wow this sounds interesting.Crispy ..cheesy..crunchy...nice.Good addition of ingredients too:-)

Vibaas said...

looks yum Varsha. i like the savory version too :) and congrats on your award. u r indeed bubbly :)

Vani said...

You made this your own with the garlic and red pepper. Looks yum, VV!
Hope whatever is on your mind gets cleared out soon! Keep smiling! :)

kittymatti said...

Wow!!! U ave perfected it! Im sure if SandraLee sees this shez gonna shout out-AWESOME!!!
Could u send me some?? Ilove the way u have presented it amidst the lawn...oooh... some real good stuff:)

Ramya Bala said...

Yummy!savory and crsipy I am in :)

A2Z Vegetarian Cuisine said...

Congrats on your award. The palmiers look very nicely done. Perfect.

Prathibha said...

Looks so yummy Vardha....Perfectly done..crispy and cheesy...

Bharti said...

Such a pretty presentation.

Seena said...

hm oru visa kittenel angottu varamayirunnu... :)
drooling!
pettennu refresh aakutto.. :)

Preety said...

i too love all the ingredients it has..looks so yummy with a perfect crisp

Sharmilee! :) said...

Nice bright pictures!!

Poornima Nair said...

OMG...the palmiers have turned out great and its so much better all spiced up, love it.
Congrats on ur award...u truly deserve it.

Chitra said...

I Like this very much..Gorgeous pics!!Looks crispy too:)

notyet100 said...

u r temptin me to ry this,.;-)hppy weeked,..

Superchef said...

ohh..i love these..ive made palmiers with sundried tomato pesto and we totally dug in! :D

nice pics!! love that green on the background.

aquadaze said...

oh those palmiers look yum...be perfect as finger food! Though I always balk at the prospect of using pastry sheets...there are so difficult to work with...you've done an awesome job!

veena said...

Hi da..
This is new to me ..Its looks so delicious ..Nice job dear

Sanghi said...

Palmiers are rather new to me.. It looks yummy varsha.. Presentation and click are too good as usual! Congrats on the award!

Nags said...

those look so sophisticated!! lovely pic the first one :)

Raaga said...

I like the look and the sound of this :-) I wish we got puff pastry here

Shama Nagarajan said...

Congrats dear.......these palmiers are tempting....perfect...lovely snaps

Happy cook said...

I love palmiers and this looks so so yumm.

sangeeta said...

i want those palmeirs with a masala chai......pretty hard work that is....

and the award...you are every word i said...hugs.

Sush said...

Boy!!, this palmiers are making me drool.., lovely clicks too.
Hope you come back to normal soon..

Divya Kudua said...

Hmmm..savoury palmiers sounds like a great idea.I just made some sweet ones.Got few more puff pastry sheets my co-sis got for me..should try this with one..;).Looks delicious:)

Pravs said...

love the presentation....tempted to try one right away. you have such lovely recipes out here.

Muneeba said...

Nice pics there, Varsha! Those palmiers look really appetizing .. I have a soft spot for anything using puff pastry :D

Priyameena said...

Yum-o Yum...Looks like a real treat..My three old will love this..

5 Star Foodie said...

Awesome palmiers with cheese! Yum!

Reeni♥ said...

These look like yummy little treats!! I like that you spiced them up, you spicy-girl. Hope your clouds pass by so you can get back to being your happy self!!

yasmeen said...

Lovely creation Sunshine girl! Love that hint of heat,I know we just can't imagine a savory snack without that little kick from spice:)

Malar Gandhi said...

Oh my my, that looks so delishious...love the savoury part, cheese...great!!!

Laavanya said...

The spices & garlic are a great addition.. i've only made the sugar+cinnamon version of this before..

Valarmathi said...

Looks crunchy and cheesy. Yummy....

SJ said...

You had the patience to shape them and all? I would have dumped all the cheese etc and made a big puff out of it and called it Giada's Cheesy Puff and smiled like this= :D

Viki's Kitchen said...

wow Palmiers look so crispy. I m sure FN channel will be happy to recruit u , if they see this:)
Btw, I also like to make Indian puffs whenever I buy that puff pastry:)

ARUNA said...

wow sounds very interesting dish Varsha!!!!! Gorgeous clicks as usual and congrats on ur award!

anudivya said...

I knew they made palmiers with cinnamon and sugar, this is the first time I am seeing them with cheese (savory).
It must have been really rich, looks good.

DEESHA said...

This looks so good Varsha

Vij said...

Good job varsha! yummy crispy cheesy - Wow!

Soma said...

Mmmmm.. I have guests tomorrow, mail some to me:-) this would be perfect!

mathew said...

looks very appetizing...!!:-)

Akal's Saappadu said...

"I am languid n blank today.Some stuffs going around,really got on me last few days n I am trying to kick all that outa my mind,n so its kind of cloudy there…Trying hard to find my Refresh button."

hahahaha, I see that I've passed my sickness to you, courage girl!

Keep up your light lit,I neeed some of it to lighten up mine too :)

your palmiers are simply delicious, I like all pastry specialities , that's a delicious cheesy treat you've got there! Appetizingly presented ,I should say!

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

looks gorgeous and tempting. perfect party snack.

Uma said...

mmm. savory version of palmiers look so pretty and tempting Varsha!! Nice pics.

Marta said...

you're right! they do look so cute AND so easy to make!!! I think this would be perfect to bring to a picnic or to an outdoor party!

Marta said...

you're right! they do look so cute AND so easy to make!!! I think this would be perfect to bring to a picnic or to an outdoor party!
Congrats on the award :)

roopa said...

mmmm kothiyavunnu, kurachingottu parcel cheyyamo ? ;)

Sakshi said...

I have a deal for you.....the less you blabber, give weather forecast and Food Network previews the smaller my comment will be on ur post...DEAL or NO DEAL???

Sigh when you don't blabber I am lost with what to comment too...OK your Cheesy Palmiers are looking like darlings but you know being the lazy person I am will never go all the way to do this..might well just stuff a box of cheese in my mouth.

I like your pics...
Ok you know the truth why am so late to comment, my leg is still hurting and it's difficult to type with the laptop and my leg up on the table at the same time.....pray for my leg ok or send some comfort food to me...

Hari Chandana said...

very interesting recipe.. looks very nice.. :)

Arch said...

These look perfect...they looks so crisp and yummmmm...

Prathibha said...

Collect your award from my blog.
http://thechefandherkitchen.blogspot.com/2009/06/peas-pulav-and-award.html

Kitchen Flavours said...

Oh wow.....looks yummy.....gorgeous clicks.....

Kitchen Flavours said...

Congrats on your award too...

Varsha Vipins said...

Thank you everyone..Thanks Pratibha for the award..:)

Sowmya said...

That looks wonderful dear..

I am happy to share my AWARD with you.Pls chk it out in my page..

Pooja said...

Oh the palmiers look so perfect and delicious! How I wish I could grab one of those!

Dhanya Nambirajan said...

Awesome palmiers, looks yummy ,cripsy,colorful and tempting....

Cynthia said...

Want some!

veena said...

hi da...
This is just new to me ..Yea its looks so nice ...

vidhas said...

Looks so yum and crispy. Congrats on your award, you deserve it.

Usha said...

Looks lovely, awesome pictures !

Swapna said...

Very interesting dish Varsha!!! Nice clicks too!

Ramya said...

First time here..U have a nice blog with awesome clicks!!Ive never tasted savoury palmiers..urs look cute..Ive blogged abt the sweet palmiers..Have to try this!!

 
Creative Commons License
Will-O'-the-Wisp is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
.