Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Pepper Dal Rasam / Lentil - Pepper Soup

Rasama

Hi…I am back with my utmost comfort food..Rasam..Me n ma better half were down with slight cold n temperature n all lately,n all I could cook up was some comfort food for us n what else is more soothing than some hot spicy peppy Rasam to go with some hot white rice..Before going into the details,I wouldn't want to miss the chit chat part here,n so a big Hiii to all of you..Hope all of you are keeping good,but sadly I see that many of the bloggers are not active now..n that includes me as well.But at least am here around ,seeing the posts n all..but many of us have taken a temporary/permanent kinda break from the blogging world,n they do have their reasons for it..Haa..It was fun before to see all those posts n comments from them n I hope, everything works well for them..:)

Hmm..so did any of you see “The next Food Network Star” Premier last Sunday?I was waiting for it n it was fun..But personally I thought the judges were kinda hard on them n some even rude..especially that chicken-haired lady n Morimoto n all..I guessed Jeffrey will top n Jen will go out sadly,n I think Jeffrey will go a long way in the show..He is so pleasant n has got that creative passion in him..I liked Melissa too,but yeah she has to go lil easy on the pleasing part i guess..:P.Waiting to see the coming episodes..Interestingly my better half also got interested in it along with me..cool huh..:P

Rasam

Coming to the Rasam..I dunno what to name it..Tomato rasam or Dal Rasam or Pepper Rasam..because these 3 are the main ingredients n I know everyone of you have your own recipe for rasam,n I am unintentionally adding one more to the tons of them out in net…:D..But this is the only one I have in drafts right now,n I don wana stay away from blogging for too long,unless it comes necessary..Also its a part of Kerala Sadya ..So I can add this one also to that tag..:D..

My mom used to prepare it without dal,n thats what I had for so long..But once I reached here,I saw that dal can be a good addition..You can do it in two ways..Boil the dal with water till dal is soft n the water gets all the dal goodness..strain the water n use for rasam n store the soft dal aside.I did like that for a while,after that I started making this thick Rasam with dal mashed right in the pan ..The pic here is of the 1st mentioned type..I personally like the 2nd one because I love the taste of dal..Am a sambar fanatic n equally nuts about this Rasam as well..I can eat tons of rice with it..:D

Rasam

Rasam is so good for your body ,when you have cold n fever..I add lotsa whole /crushed pepper into it to give it a nice kick.Rasam is prominent in Kerala Sadya’s as well, n is served after the whole feast ,just before having Payasam(dessert),owing to the fact that this Rasam helps in digesting the whole stuff that went in to our tummy..cool no..people just drink it ..!

Picture 058

I use Eastern Rasam powder for my Rasam,n I’ll give it full marks..!You can make the powder at home as well.Check for the recipe in net..

What I do:

Pressure cook 3/4 cup of dal till soft ,with some salt n turmeric powder.

Mash the dal/strain the water n use it.

To that water(if using mashed dal,add lot of water into it),add 1-1.5 tsp Rasam powder,1 tsp Chilli powder(for added heat),2 tsp crushed black pepper corns,2 cloves of garlic(just cut in half),1 tomato chopped n 1/2 cup thick sliced onions.A pinch of asafetida will also do here.

Give it a stir.

Now extract the juice of a lime sized tamarind(I dont like readymade extract that you get at shop..thick black n like tar..eeksss..n tastes bland).

Add this juice ,about 1/2-3/4 cup,into the boiling dal mix,add more water,bring it to a boil n simmer so that the tamarind’s sourness gets set.

Do a taste test n add more salt/pepper/chilli powder/tamarind extract.I usually end up adding more tamarind extract n pepper powder.

Simmer till the tomatoes go soft n mash-able’ n the whole thing tastes sour n spicy..The sourness n spiciness should perfectly balance each other..

Now do the tempering with mustard,fenugreek,whole pepper corns(good to get that bite),broken red chillies n lots of curry leaves..Don get stingy on curry leaves.They add so much flavor.

..n add lottttts of chopped cilantro,which makes the Rasam real good..!

Rasam

Gosh,am so hungry now..!:D

See you all later,tc

hugs,

:)

StumbleUpon

56 Luv'ly people shared their views..:

Laavanya said...

There's nothing quite like rasam when you aren't feeling well and the pepper rasam looks so yummy. I'd want a bowl even when I'm feeling well.

anudivya said...

Yeah like you said, lot of people who I knew before my break are MIA too. I guess everyone is taking a break from the regular grind of things. Next time I am sick, I will hit this recipe. Rasam is not one of my strong points :(
I love it though.

Gita said...

Rasam is one of comfort foods, especially on a stressed-out day, all I need is a bowl of rasam and rice :) Nice picture dear.

Nithya Praveen said...

Aaah a perfect comfort food.Looks wonderful.My mom never makes this when i am arround,i kinda dont get along with pepper:-P..My husband was looking at ur post while I was reading,even he commented u r pretty creative..nice way of photography.Nice one Varsha!

Pooja said...

Wow rasam with lentils! I have to try this some time. Like you I too love the lentil taste. And looks so delicious!

Vani said...

Perfect for getting rid of that cold and cough! Looks divine!

Padma said...

Lovely rasam a best comfort food.... love to have directly from the bowl :)

Poornima Nair said...

Wow, thats comfort in every sip...ur right, rasam is perfect for relief from cold, hope u guys are feeling better.

Divya Vikram said...

Hope you have recovered from ur cold n fever dear! Rasam looks so comforting. I too like to add mashed dal to my rasam!

kittymatti said...

super..this is the most comforting food! Looks great!

Yasmeen said...

Peppery rasam,just need a warm bowl of rice to get started:)

♥peachkins♥ said...

Rasam looks interesting...

Mangala Bhat said...

WOW! varsha ..nice recipe ..Thanks soo much for sharing this with us ,,hey darling ..i used to have this when i was in blore ...never tried at home ..wow ! nice one must try it soon Thanks da :)

Prathibha said...

pepper rasam with dal n tomato..Triple combo..Comfort food with rice...looks nice..

Shama Nagarajan said...

lovely comfort one ...take care dear

Sharmilee! :) said...

Lovely presentation as always! Rasam is a perfect comfort...with rice.

Ria said...

Rasam is definately a comfort food! I like it anytime! Hope you n kutts are feeling better now! :)

Sanghi said...

Yummy rasam.. Superb presentation and clicks as usual..!

Aparna Prabhu said...

Hey dear ............I prepared this yest i always love rasam nd it goes good with white rice.............nd the easiest nd comfort one to do nd y search in net check my blog for the rasam powdr recipe :)

sowmya said...

nice picture...beautifully presented..

Sig said...

Hope you are feeling better now Varsha, it is really a bad time to get sick :) I watched just a little bit of the Next food network star, I don't even know anyone's name yet! :)

tinu said...

beautiful presentation though i hate rasam.

Chitra said...

love this rasam..have bookmarked it...will give a try and let u know:)

Maria said...

hey me too was planning to post rasam recipe :) beautiful pics dear!!hope you two are feeling better now.

RAKS KITCHEN said...

I have not combined these both!I will definitely try this one sometime!

Doloncookbook said...

I never had rasam . But your recipe looks yummy & super delicious .

notyet100 said...

lovely presentation,..:-)tk cre ge well soon,..

Priya said...

Real comfort food, i love this pepper rasam much! Awesome presentation Varsha!

Kitchen Flavours said...

Oh wow comfort bowl.....feel like having it right now.....simply yum..perfect for sour throat....take care....

veena said...

Hi dear
nice presentation ...i too love rasam ..i love choru rasam thairu combination ..!! great click dear

A2Z Vegetarian Cuisine said...

Beautiful picture. Hope you and your better half feel better soon.

Happy cook said...

It is a beautiful pic and i love rasom a real comfort food.
Looks yumm.

Home Cooked Oriya Food said...

I love your presentation dear!

Swapna said...

Nice click and presentation as always!

Vrinda said...

Perfect comfort food,nice presentation..

DEESHA said...

I agree, there is nothing to beat Rasam when yu are down & out

Suparna said...

hi varsha,
awwww..u were down with cold n stuff! hope u r doing good now :P
this indeed a comforting rasam when down with cold and flu, but I love rasam otherwise also ;)B E A U T I FU L presentation!I too love my Rasam with lots of cilantro mmmmm...makes it so flavourful n aromatic na?!
Tc

Viki's Kitchen said...

I love all kinds of rasam. Pepper dal rasam sounds so healthy n comfortable. nice pics again:)

Renuka said...

Rasam and rice is my fav combo..as my husband is not a big fan of rasam, i have almost stopped making it.... all your clicks has reminded me of teh good old times with rasam ;)... am gonna make it today...

Reeni♥ said...

I did watch the Food Network Star. I love that show!! I don't remember the names but I really did like the guy from L.A. The judges were mean!! The chicken hair lady, especially, she's kind of annoying herself. I hope your feeling better now from this comforting bowl of yumminess!!

SJ said...

Ok, now I have to watch that show to see who this 'chicken hair lady " is! Hope ur feeling much better.
PS- how do u manage to put back all those pepper corns after the photo session? :P

Priyameena said...

Rasam looks like a absolute comfort food..Your click are stunning

Pavithra said...

Thats really looking so good and comforting.. nothing is comforting like rasam haha.. ur pictures rock always.. great job dear.

sangeeta said...

hot peeper rasam in dilli ki garmi.....NOOOO.....some other time ..
trail back to my page ...i have a summer cooler for you and an award darling..

5 Star Foodie said...

This looks yummy with pepper!

VIDYA VENKY said...

this is my all time favorite rasam....will make it whenever i want something nice spicy but simple

Varsha Vipins said...

Thanks everyone..I am all good now..:)..Dont wait to get sick to hit on this..its yummy..lol..:)..n SJ..gal u r the only one who noted that..good q..:D..What are brooms for?..:D

Soma said...

Comfort food indeed. Girl all those pepper around the bowl! :-) nice idea.

Jyoti said...

Rasam looks so good ! Will try your version soon.

Superchef said...

I generally make rasam without dal. I dont want to go through all the trouble of cooking the dal. Without it its done in like 5 mins :D shortcuts..hehe.

Sowmya said...

I love pepper rasam. It ll give a great kick :P

First time on your page, and I felt so refreshing right from your post to your profile pic :)

Great one..Keep going !

AnuSriram said...

Yummy and comforting rasam! Nice click!

Uma said...

that's a beautiful way to present simple rasam! You made it look more tempting. Looks so good and yummy Varsha :)

Vidya said...

wow. Pepper Rasam looks heavenly. awesome shots.

Anupama said...

Thank you for the recipe.It's good for stomach upsets too.I added a lil cumin seeds while crushing the pepper corns and lil while tempering...Can we get method to make the powder w/o using store bought ones?

Varsha Vipins said...

Thanks everyone..:)
Anupama..thats a nice variation with cumin..will try that too..as about powder,I use Eastern one n am quite happy with it..But I have seen the homemade recipe in many other blogs of my friends,not remember the url's..A simple search will give you those..:)..Thanks for trying out n commenting..:)

 
Creative Commons License
Will-O'-the-Wisp is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
.