Friday, June 5, 2009

Fish cooked in a spicy grated coconut mix – Meen Peera..!!

 

 

 

Picture 1272-2 \

Big Hi to all of you..Hope you all are doing good n keeping smiles..Ok..am not intending to start my weather forecasts..:D,but the good news is that it rained yesterday.We had some friends for dinner,n whilst we were talking about the sunny days ,it became quite windy n chilling n then blessed showers for a short time..But it still kinda quenched the thirst of earth a bit..n its all super cool here now..Luckily we have this greens all around us which keeps us cool even on those warmest of days..Otherwise it would have been a pain to loiter around in kitchen..:P..

 

Picture 1365

 

Yesterday evening I was just roaming around and to my utmost joy I found one visitor ,lazing outside my patio.I was still for a moment,then hurried inside and raided up a carrot and came back..tried to lure the bunny..But I guess this is one sophisticated breed or something,which is interested  in only juicy green grass..:D..I threw the carrot near n it gave me back a vague puzzled look n continued stretching n scratching..I roamed quite a bit around,but dint go too near..Later on one of his friend came..mebe gal friend n they both played  for a while n went away..:D

I was super busy all the time this week n didn’t get any quiet time for myself,to think n be creative.It feels like a long time since I mixed n whipped n sautéed  something n waited in exciting anticipation to lick up a spoonful,close ma eyes n enjoy some new dish..I dunno..Days seem to be moving too fast and I am trying to catch up.Hope next week makes me more settled n organized..:)

Before I go into the recipe,I want to let out a word about something,which I found wonderful.Hope atleast some of you might have heard about The Fresh Air Fund,  a not-for-profit agency, which provided free summer experiences in the country to more than 1.7 million inner city children from disadvantaged communities.A small  sunshine to their lives ,who deserve every right to enjoy their childhood like other kids.So the glad thing is that,right now any gift you make to The Fresh Air Fund will be matched dollar for dollar by a group of generous donors! If you can give $25 that means $50 for inner-city children. $50 becomes $100.So,wanted to share the news n spread the word through my space..:)

 

 

Picture 1266-1

 

Now,going on to the dish of the day,this is yet another authentic fish dish of Kerala.This is from drafts,made it a long time back,n now I have started craving for it all over again..:D..Normally small fishes like smelt,anchovies,small sardines n all are used,n suits best for this dish.I remember mom making this once in a while,n it tasted divine.The name is Meen- Peera  n Peera means coconut flakes,which forms the main base of this awesome dish.This was the first time I made this at home,had quite forgotten about this dish,one day when I caught a glimpse of it on TV  n was all craving since then.Here I couldn't find those small varieties n so I used my favorite Tilapia for this,just chopped it up into teeny –weeny pieces and added it.It tasted great,though not like home-made ones owing to that difference in fish.But it was really good,but my pics dint come out good as light was scarce then..bah..:(..The dish derives its unique flavor from the coconut-spice mix n loads of curry leaves that goes into it..!!

 

To make Meen-Peera:

Take a heavy bottom kadai( or clay pot which is the best) and add oil and let it heat through nicely.

Splutter about 1.5 tsp of Mustard seeds ,1 tsp fenugreek seeds and some broken red chillies.

Now add a lot of curry leaves(which is so important in this dish) and  saute till fragrant.

Now throw in a tsp of minced garlic n a Tbsp of ginger pieces(not julienned,we need to get the bite here).

Saute under low heat for a min n then add a cup of minced shallots n 7-8 slit green chillies.

Add a tsp of turmeric powder n 2 tsp of chilli powder(reduce if you like less heat,we have already added green chillies)

Saute till shallots just wilt .(crunch of shallots is good in this dish)

Meanwhile soak 2-3 large cocum pieces(in Indian store) in some warm water.

Now add a cup of fresh grated coconut( you get the frozen coconut in Indian stores).

Saute n mix for a minute or two n now throw in that soaked cocums.(You should add more or less cocums after tasting,because tanginess varies in places).

Now mix it for a while,since the water in the pan bubbles n boils n until that tanginess of cocums gets into the base.

Now add 1/2 –3/4 lb of finely chopped fish,nearly 2 cups.

Add salt n some  freshly cracked pepper.

Mix well under high heat for a while,then simmer ,close the lid n let the fish cook through.You may add some water at this point,not necessarily though.

After a while,open the lid ,increase heat n mix well n keep sautéing for a while till the fish is fully cooked n mixed with the coconut  base n kinda forms a dry chunky  mass.

Taste n remove the cocums if its too tangy for you..(I usually keep it there,because the more tangy,the more tasty for us).

Now mash a lot of curry  leaves in some oil(or alternatively fry them in oil) and sprinkle it over the dish.

Mix well n close n rest it for a few hours before use.tastes best the next day..!!

 

 

Picture 1260-2

 

 

Wishing you all a great weekend n signing off..!!

Hugs,

:)

StumbleUpon

43 Luv'ly people shared their views..:

Pooja said...

Lovely meen peera Varsha! Looks spicy and delicious! My favourite dish too! Love the cute fish shaped bowl in which u have served :)

Reeni♥ said...

How delicious with all that coconut, and spicy, too! I love coconut!! The bunny is so cute! If he gets to know you he might come right up and grab the carrot out of your hand!

Priya said...

Quite a new dishfor me..would really love to try this dish..hey ur fish shaped bowl is soo cute..

FoodShoutOut said...

You have some great recipes on your site and it would be great if you could share them at FoodShoutOut.com
FoodShoutOut.com is a place for people to discover and share great indian recipes from anywhere on the web. From the biggest online destinations to the most obscure blog, FoodShoutOut.com surfaces the best stuff as voted on by users.

Mangala Bhat said...

wow! dearie .looks fantabulous ..but i am vegetarian ..will tell this recipe to my friend .she likes fish :) ..Thanks for sharing ..that bunny is looking soo cute just like u :) Have a nice weekend

SJ said...

I have bunnies just like that near my apt. but unlike you, I want to catch them and conduct some experiments. This husband of mine does not let me :( I can talk about for an hour about Goldfish and their miserable pooping habits and how they just die on you no clue about the taste of fish. So I shall exit silently.

PS: My comments are beginning to look like Sakshi's no? Holy crap! I need to restrain!!

Pavithra said...

wow varsha the platter is so cute cute , bowl , the carrot shapea and even lovely bunny. I admire platter since i am vegetarian. As mangala told i will pass this dish to my fish loving friends...have good weekend.

anudivya said...

Seriously! No forecasts today! Oh, I miss them :(
BTW, did you know MS matches volunteer hours too? Eg, if an employee volunteers an hour of their time, then they match the time in dollars. The hours need to be logged.
I think it is pretty neat.

Sakshi said...

Ha I am missing the weather forecasting Giada broom wielding witch...wah...bo..hoo
But I see the carrot artist is back...god have never seen anyone who patiently cuts out carrots into fishy shapes for her food blog...u rock gal. I eat up all the carrots even without bothering to peel them. I have taught Saman that carrot peels are good for his future driving skills :).

That bunny looks like his Boston cousin who dares to come over my balcony and pull out all my plants from it's pots. You threw it a carrot?? My I don't want to list the things I throw at mine here for fear of animal lovers..ahem...ahem.

Me too a big Paara so I am feeling all fishy and want this Meen Peera. Tell SJ to bookmark this recipe and make it for me for copying my comment style...argggh

Gita said...

Thats a yummilicious meal Varsha.. Nice pictures and cute bunny :)

Divya Vikram said...

That looks too good Varsha. And you have those beautiful carvings with carrot! It rained in LA here too. after a long time! We are moving next week. And the house has a lot of sunshine for me to take pics :D Will catch up with u sometime girl!

Vani said...

Love the fishy dish for dishing fish! :)

Poornima Nair said...

Great dish da...something I had often during my visits to Kerala, my grandma made it soo yummy...that pic is making my mouth water...
Have a fun weekend.

aquadaze said...

umm..love that fish!

Superchef said...

love it that you use a fishy bowl for the fish curry and those cute little carrot fishes :)

kittymatti said...

looks good, awesome presentation!

Lena Rashmin Raj said...

i havnt tasted this...snap is just wonderful....carrot fish kalakkiyittundu.. :)

Ria said...

Yummy looking meen peera! I love it with Kanji :)Even we had rainy day ystrday! :) Nice pics!

Happy cook said...

I am so jealous tha tyou are enjoying all the traditional fares at your home.
I have ot had meen peera in atleast well not mentioning the years :-)

Hari Chandana said...

looks spicy..nice clicks :)

sangeeta said...

never tried such a stirfried fish.........i think it will be a hit at my place.....all the coconut n no fishbones....

you do bunny watching while i am birdwatching here........all the exotic kinds are here in the summers...

Suparna said...

hi Varsha,
I love to read ur posts it excites me so much :)awwwww..the bunny thingie is so cute...
Meen peera is new too...lvoe authentic kerala dishes. Thanks for the new recipe.It's quite detailed v :)beautiful presentation

Vij said...

Ymmy one varsha! i enjpy fish in any form n this must be super delicious. Cute carrot fish :-)

Renuka said...

Meen peera loks yumm..its one of my fav dishes..i usually make it with smelt.. u dont get smelts at ur area??i thot that is one fish that is available all over US..

Ammu said...

Never heard this before. Looks delicious. Cute serving bowl.

Yasmeen said...

Cute bunny,some in my yard too,usually hop off so fast even before my little one could catch a glimpse.He loves chasing such garden animals.Tasty Meen peera got me craving for some fish right now.Thankfully my cooking is off today,on my way to a party:)

Soma said...

So you have bunnies too! See? u r not missing anything. Our bunnies don't eat carrots or the weeds (which would have helped us a lot!), love the grass..

That spicy curry is MMMMMMMMmmmmmm.. & love that floral plate.

Priyameena said...

thanks for visiting my blog..You too have excellent blog..Love your lawn it looks gorgeous..Lovely presentation

Sanghi said...

Mmm yummy varsha.. Good clicks too!

notyet100 said...

umm,..looks so appealing,..:-)

Nags said...

yumm! i love this with mathi!

Doloncookbook said...

Lovely meen peera picture ,looks spicy and delicious too . Never had this . Love the presentation of the food very much .
& oh yes your visitor is very cute .

Trupti said...

fish with coconut mix looks delicious Varsha

Viki's Kitchen said...

Delicious fish peera in a lovely bowl. Nice clicks.

Marta said...

Those first few rains are so great, they make the ground happy and the weather lovely, plsu, I find them romantic!
Fish looks delicious, I love the coconut, must really make a difference here :)

mathew said...

meen peera is amma's trademark dish...i was not a big fan of it..but over time..i simply love it...i hogged on it big time last time i was home....aah..this pic reminds me so much of home!!

Rush said...

i remember the days when 2 bunny rabbits had made my backyard their home and in a few months had a little one..
Come winter, in our snow covered backyard, one day i saw small footsteps..was scared..who the hell was roaming around, thou it was fenced..after i spoke to my neighbour,she reminded me of the rabbits..but funny, we dont see white bunnies here :(

anyways..back to ur meen curry...we mangloreans also call it meen :)

Seena said...

I am planning a trip to Aleppy once you visit there.. you should make all these nadan food.. sammathicho? :)

tinu said...

i too luv meen peera especially when made with kozhuva or mathi....speaking of it, i do hav mathi fry for lunch...u have a nice blog here...keep the gud work going

Kitchen Flavours said...

Oh wow fish in coconut gravy that too spicy....hmmm iam all in to the delectable platter.......hmm your new guest looks cuteeeee....

Preety said...

my husband is fond of fish..this one id perfect for him..

Jyoti said...

Looks delicious ! Love the fish shaped serving bowl too !

Varsha Vipins said...

Thanks everyone..sorry for the late reply..:)..Thanks for appreciating my carrot fishes..after I took the pics,I somehow wanted to crop it outa the pic,looked too ugly to me..:D..
I do share your feelings about those nice mathi,kozhuva n all immersed in the spicy peera..sigh..I wana go home..:(
Thanks to all my new visitors as well..ur comments make my day..:)

 
Creative Commons License
Will-O'-the-Wisp is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
.