Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Cherry Shortcake..on a sweet note..!!

 

Cherry Shortcake

 

Hi to all of you n hope you had a great weekend friends..:)..I am busy with something that I plan to do this weekend and hence have not been able to do much blog-hopping lately..n was moving on with my short break.But apparently,I noted that this happens to be my 100th post ,n when I made this scrummy short cakes yesterday,I thought may be I should post this as my next post,on a sweet note.Its been more than an year since I entered into the food blogging world,n after those few irregular posts from Pune,I kinda took a  long break,which continued till I got married n came here..Since then It was somewhat regular till sometime back,n finally I have reached the goal of 100..Phew..!..These days,when I see many of my pals,who speed up to these big numbers in no matter of time,I feel awed..! Anyways I cant do without thanking you all for the wonderful comments n love you all have given me always n yup ..blogging gave me quite a bunch of good friends as well..Thanks once again to all of ya...:)

 

Cherry Shortcake

..So hope you all are moving on with a nice week and enjoying the ‘springy’ summer..:P..It is pretty strong here,with not even a drop of water falling down from the sky,quite unlikely for our place n no need to mention that we are missing it badly..:p..On the other hand,this season has brought a lot of color n freshness everywhere.Farmer’s markets filled with rows n heaps of fresh fruits n flowers n veggies n all sorts of things ,that your heart yearn to fill into your baskets,upon a sight..haa..Bliss..!! Talking about that Cherry is a seasonal fruit ,available in plenty these days,but not so cheaper as I thought it would be..May be its the variety..dunno..n I am sure you guys also have your fridge stocked with cherries now..:)..Anyhow,on seeing the luring temptresses’ sitting prettily in a bunch,I couldn't help ,but buy a big bag.Its not the type that we used to see in Kerala..not the bright red type..But this is one is super sweet n deep blood-red with lots of yummy flesh to bite into it..We had a lot of it as such,n then I was thinking what to do with the rest..Crumble,cheese cake,clafouti,cobbler..Many things came into mind..but we both being no dessert people,I was kind of lazy.The only stuff we used to gorge into are Tiramisu n a strawberry short cake that we get in Freddie’s bakery.So the idea of short cake struck me n finally dragged myself into kitchen to try this..:D

As usual I got ton of recipes from net,but my version has some cheese also in it....Also I had some dried Dutch apricots with me,which I threw in with the cherries..:)

 

Cherry Shortcake 

 

To get 12 triangular slices of short cake base:

Preheat over to 400 degrees.

Mix 2 cups of All purpose flour, 3 Tbsp sugar, 3 tsp baking powder and 1/2 tsp salt in a medium bowl.

Add 1 stick(1/2 cup) butter pieces and cut into flour mixture with pastry blender or fork until mixture is crumbly.

Add 3/4 cup buttermilk mixed with a tsp of Vanilla extract and mix just until moistened. Form dough into ball.

On a lightly floured surface, pat dough into a flattened disk about 3/4-inch thick.Cut into desired shapes.

Combine dough scraps and repeat to make biscuits. Arrange biscuits on ungreased baking sheet, and bake 18 to 20 minutes or until golden.

Cool on wire rack.

Cherry Shortcake 

To prepare the Cherry Preserve filling:

Mix 1/3 cup granulated sugar/honey(depends on how sweet/tart your cherries are), 1 Tbsp cornstarch and 1/2 tsp cinnamon in a saucepan.

Add 1 Pound cleaned pitted cherries (I added 3 Tbsp of chopped dried apricots as well)and cook, stirring, over medium heat until mixture bubbles and thickens. It takes a good 30 mins or more.

Remove from heat; stir in 1/2 tsp lemon zest.i added 1/2 a tsp of lemon juice as well. Set mixture aside to cool.

 

Assembling:

Just before serving, whip heavy cream with confectioners' sugar until mixture holds soft peaks.

To serve, cut biscuits horizontally in half. Place bottoms on serving plates, spoon cherry filling over shortcake bottoms and top with whipped cream. Cover with biscuit top.

In the pic I have used a second biscuit n have made a layer with Ricotta cheese whipped with sugar, which is the Italian version of using cream cheese in American cuisine.You can use cream cheese instead as well.

 

Verdict: The cakes were scrumptious .The sweet biscuits had a crispy outside n moist inside with the delicate fragrance of vanilla n it paired well with the sweet cherry preserve with a hint of lime n soft chewy bites of apricots.The preserve itself is a keeper ,which will go great with toasts n ice creams n puddings n what not..!

Cherry Shortcake

..see the cherry preserve oozing down from that bitten part..yumm..n incidentally the dried stuffs strewn around are my favorite sweet-scented cherry blossoms..!:)

 

Shama has tagged me for the Honest scrap award ,n I have to write 10 honest things about me n pass it  on to 7 friends..guess I have been pretty open in my space always n you all know me ..:P..so..cant think of much to put on..lemme try..!

Honest_Scrap_Award

1.I love non-veg food the most,still am nuts about Sambar n some traditional dishes like that ,n after marriage I have started including some good portion of veggies into my meals.

2.The first dish I cooked myself was a Chicken curry..:P

3.I was a  stay-away-from-food kid and used to destroy the peace in my home,during my meal times..:P

4.I love babies so much n is so infamous for  that among my friend circle..to get lost in crowd drooling over babies..:D

5.I love cute collectible’s ,decorating home with that and particularly things that have nice fragrance,my favorite being Cherry blossom n Sweet pea scent.Keeps on collecting lotions n body washes' in that fragrance..:)

6.Coming to people and relations,I have few close friends who are close to my heart and I am to-the-core sincere person..hate braggers n egoist’s..

7.I love reading on n on n on..:)

8.I love earrings the most among girlie accessories..

9.I am crazy  missing my hometown Alleppey n Kuttanadu in Kerala..The mere thought of it now,brings me sobs..:(

10…n finally…My husband is the jack pot of my life,n I am the luckiest ..:D

 

Haa..am done ..now passing it on to some which havent been tagged before.:

 

Sakshi

Divya

SJ

Pratibha

Nithya

Reeni

Muneeba

 

..n thanks a ton to lovely Pratibha n Sowmya for the lovely blog award which is adorning my side bar now..:)

StumbleUpon

90 Luv'ly people shared their views..:

Sakshi said...

Cherry Short cake...100 post..seattle weather...all a blurr to me now..My head spinning bcoz you know why??? Incidentally this is my 100th comment...clap clap...so do I get the shortcake as a prize?? ok ok don't throw it at me..

You are one hell of cook for a lazy rear end person you portray urself as.. This is some hi fi for me to make...

Hey where you watching Giada while filling up that cherry preserve into the bowl?? I mean its all over outside the bowl like as if your eyes were fixed on Giada rather than the bowl.lolz...awesome clicks ammu kutty..and congrats for your 100th post and yup i have ignored the tag conveniently...

Varsha Vipins said...

:D:D..no Giada..aesthetic element of originality..:-S(entamme..watsat..:D) n gal..wats hifi in this..pretty simple..focus ur undakannu on tat recipe..

Pavithra said...

Wow varsha congrats on ur award and yummy short cake sooooooooooooo good .. all abt you have written is interesting dear.. ha ha as sakshi spilled all over the bowl made me laugh...Pass me the plate from seattle to LA.. looking so good and delightful..

Pavithra said...

Oh my hearty congrats on ur 100th post.. same pinch we both reached 1ooth post on same day.. when i reach 200th post i will come and see ur page too ...it does not mean i will come only on that day...he he

Varsha Vipins said...

oh..pls don do tat Pavi..I hope n pray you dont get to see this same page then...:D

Pavithra said...

Oh oh not same page dear different page, different dish..

Pooja said...

Oh my that looks awesome Varsha! I love cherries and I have already drooled enough on seeing the cherry syrup alone! How heavenly the short cake would have been..yummy! And congrats on your 100th post. Perfect sweet for a sweet occasion :)

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

Hey Varsha you are simply tempting me!!! I just tried not making any sweets for quite sometime now... I think I will loose my hold on it I guess!!! Congrats on your 100th post dear, infact I gotta write that gals speeding up for those big numbers, I have been blogging for 3 yrs now but no signs of getting any close there!!! The short cake looks very tempting ans soft and love the cherry filling there!!!

Preety said...

nice i still have to reach on this stage..hopefully soon..cake looks heavenly

Teashop Girl said...

Congrats on your 100th post. Your cake looks very yummy!

SJ said...

Any tsunami occurred in that preserve bowl?? I like the last pic- you should have posted one where you are eating that cake- Giada style!! Tag-Wag saab homko nehi hota re..that too I have to write 10 honest things about myself. Me and honesty don't go hand in hand!!! Congrats on your award, your tag, your honesty, 100 post, the cake and the Tsunami affected jam. Jai ho!

Home Cooked Oriya Food said...

Cherry shirt cake 0 no way... just too yummy...
Congrats on 100th post...

Nithya Praveen said...

Weather has been pretty good here...it rained a lil today.Farmers market starts only next week....am looking forward to it this sunday.Congrats on your 100th post....it feels so good isnt it? Cherry shortcake looks divine...adding cream makes it so tempting!Thnks for sharing Varsha.Looking forward to reading more and more posts of urs.

Sanghi said...

Hey varsha, 1ooth post! Mm congrats dear! Hope to see more yummy delights from you! Short cake looks delicious, drooling here!

Bergamot said...

100th post...you must be feeling really good about it and to celebrate it with a cherry short cake is great. I love cherries and this cake looks yummy :-)

Nags said...

not a good site for someone on a diet :D

5 Star Foodie said...

Congrats on your 100th post! Delicious cherry short cake!

A2Z Vegetarian Cuisine said...

Congrats on your 100th post. Nice yummy shortcake.

TBC said...

Congrats on completing a 100 posts! :)

Divya Vikram said...

That is one gorgeous cake!! Can you send me over some?Love the cherry preserve filling..

Sig said...

Hey Varsha, 100 already? Way to go girl! Congrats and keep it up :) Great pics by the way, what a way to celebrate! :)

Uma said...

Congrats on hitting a century Varsha! Wishing your blog many more such centuries. Cherry shortcake is the perfect choice for the occasion. Looks gorgeous and yum :)

Shama Nagarajan said...

Congrats dear!!!!!!!!!!keep rocking.........Cake is really tempting me to have a bite...

Chitra said...

congrats on ur 100th post dear..Cake looks delish..pass it to me..I really crave 4 it:)

jayasree said...

Congrats on hitting the milestone. Wishing you many more.

Loved the short cake esp the cherry preserve.

suvi said...

Dear Varsha....yummy shortcake...it filled "punnamada kayal" in my mouth...nice garnishing....superb..

Happy cook said...

Wow tat looks so so yummy drooley delcious.
Love the shortcake. Drool

Priya said...

Congrats on hitting the century Varsha...cherry short cake looks delicious and fabulous...Congrats on ur award..keep rocking gal!

Aparna Prabhu said...

Cherries I've always loved it nd yeh as u said my fridge has a stock alays nd not so cheap here too........yet i tend to buy them always i shop.......ur CSC luks yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..............nd among ur 10 things some really match vth me esp kids n babies...........Congrats dear on ur 100th post........God knows when wud be mine not soon i guess....... lil bz vth some work these days ne ways U rock Varsha!! keep Blogging :)

RAKS KITCHEN said...

Congrats :) Looking forward for more!!

sangeeta said...

hey sunshine...congrats on your 100th post, and it's cherry in a shortcake.....my hubby is gonna love this......and more than the tsunami effect in your bowl i like the green grass across the window mesh....

and hey...is that your skirt under the shot arrangement? don't spoil your clothes dear.......

veena said...

Hey Varsha ...
Congrats on ur 100th post ...Long way to go my dear ...pinne cake kandittu ivide irikkan pattunilla...damn good shots ..Looking so delicious dear ..

Gita said...

I too saw cherries in every supermarket....shortcke seems a nice recipes...gotta try it soon! Nice picture Varsha...where did you take it? Congrats on your award dear :)

sowmya said...

100th post...wonderful way to celebrate..cake looks awesome..

Padma said...

Congrats on your 100th Post Varsha... cherry short cake looks delicious :)

Parita said...

congratulations dear for your 100th post, do keep rocking!! shortcake looks tempting!!

Vaishali said...

Cherries are one of summer's greatest gifts, aren't they? And that shortcake sounds delicious.
Congratulations, Varsha, on your 100th post.

VIDYA VENKY said...

cherry short cake looks so tempting wow i have lots of cherries at home will do this preserve

Viki's Kitchen said...

100 th post and the sweet note with a cake sounds exciting. I agree cherry in India is not the same as here. I didnt make any dish out of it . 'cos as soon as I got , just finished it instead of food..he he.
Ur short cake looks so yummy. Now I shd shop again for cherries:)
Nice to read about u.

Poornima Nair said...

Congrats on your century and the awards...thats a wonderful dessert to celebrate. Mouthwatering!!

Akal's Saappadu said...

congratulations for the awards, for the 100 lovely posts and for everything you seem to be.... not all can speak about themselves like a chatter box, so easily...it's nice reading you :)

slurp slurp, nice delicious cake you have there, I'm a total dessert person, I can skip my meals for a dessert..

nice dessert ideal to do for the season :)

Prathibha said...

This is the 3rd 100th post i m reading today..Hmm.u guys really rock..
Congrats on ur award and thanks a lot for thinking of me dear..u r so chweet....Nice clicks..

Varsha Vipins said...

Thanku dearss..:)
SJ..no storm..I made it dirty to give that feel..:D.
yup..feels good Nithya..:)
Suvi,thanks so much for the comment chweetie..:)
Aparna..do make it soon k?
Sangeeta..u r cool..got it huh..:D..its an old one dear,so its ok..:)
Thanks Vino for that kind words..:)
Thanku everyone else..:)

jayasri said...

hi, varsha, 100th post, that's lovely, an award that is lovely too...., cherry short cake is gorgeous dear, i don't know if i am supposed to say such things..., as some of ur friends were saying when i first saw the pic , i too thought hey the cherry is all over the place..., may be it's kind of nice anyway...., i must have posted my 100th but, you all do some wonderful cooking!, some interesting & good recipes....

Soma said...

Congrats girl for hitting the century! That is one beautiful dessert. That bowl of cherry preserve is finger licking good. may be i can agree to move north west.

Rush said...

i love ur green backyard, the even cleaner table with lots of decorative stuff, breathtaking shortcake (wonders why the name short??) and the blushing red cherry preserve...wanna be a prt of it honey!!
u get me indulged!

AnuSriram said...

Congrats on ur 100th post! The cake looks awesome! Good work! BTW, today me too completed a century!

Varsha Vipins said...

Thanks all of ya..Gita,its our dining room window side ..:)
Congrats Anu..I'll check u out soon..:)

Yasmeen said...

Happy 100! You have become a Pro. at Baking ,the cake looks droolicious with oozing cherry preserves :)

kittymatti said...

you have a lovely lawn..the picture looks suppppper delicious!!yum yum yum!

doggybloggy said...

cheery short cake - how about long tall cherry big cake - this looks amazing!

Superchef said...

congratulations!!! i just posted a cherry dessert post! Its just too hard to ignore the cherry-invasion everywhere :)

Reeni♥ said...

This cherry short cake is so creative! It looks so scrumptious! So beautiful for your 100 posts! Congratulations and here's to 100 more! Thank you for sharing tidbits about yourself and for tagging me!

Mangala Bhat said...

Congrts on ur 100th post ..and ..what a yummy looking cake out there ...delicious ..looks like guests had great time :)

Mangala Bhat said...

Hey sorry ...was read something else about guest i wrote it here i guess ..hey ...what a intersting and sweet person u r ...:) my swet varshu keep smiling dear .All the very best :)..lovely short cake dearie nice clicks too as ususal :)

Valarmathi said...

Congrats on ur 100th post. Cake looks yummy. Nice pics.

Make the Impossible...Possible said...

Congratulations on ur 100th post and wish you good luck ...looking forward for more posts...keep rocking baby....

Cherry syrup and Short Cake looks yummy and colorful ............emmmhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......The green in your yard....waah....

My Experiments with Cooking said...

Hey thats a neat cake. I have included you on my blog roll. Hope you are ok with that.

aquadaze said...

congrats on your 100th post! that cherry preserve looks so inviting :)

Kitchen Flavours said...

Oh wow......awesome clicks on lushes green lawn.....shortcake looks drool worthy......Congrats on your award.

Muneeba said...

That looks like the perfect summer table .. overflowing with cake! And fruits! gorgeous sunny day too :) Thks for tagging me Varsha ... I dunno how much more honest I can be on my blog, but I'll it a try!

roopa said...

Reading your passion for cherry blossom , i guess this cherry shortcake must be one of your favorites too :) Its come out very well !

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

congrats on your 100th post... looking forward to more.

thats a yummy cake!!

Laavanya said...

Oh boy that looks so amazingly delicious - what a way to enjoy the summer :) Congratulations on completing 100 posts so soon!

anudivya said...

100 already! Wow!!! congrats girl!
I have 2 more months to go to reach my one year anniversary, but I am nowhere close to 100. You are on a roll. Keep going.
I love the shortcake, esp that sauce dripping over the sides of the bowl.

Arch said...

Wow...that looks super ! and congratulations girl...100 posts is really something !! and its really nice to read your posts...so full of life !!

munchcrunchandsuch said...

they look awesome Varsha..Btw my birthplace is alleppy too..congrats on the 100th post milestone and keep them coming

Maria said...

Congrats dear!! Those pics are very tempting!!

Aysha said...

Hey Varsha,your cake simply looks superb.Its really vibrant.Wish you were in Canada and I could have the cake right now!!

lisaiscooking said...

Your cake looks delicious! The cherry filling layered with the cream is amazing.

Jyoti said...

Congrats on your 100th post ! This looks mouthwatering, You have a great collection of recipes !

Nazish Rahman said...

congrats on your 100 th post...n ya nice recipe...looks delicious!!!

Marta said...

Congrats on your 100th post!!!! And what a fantastically sweet way to celebrate! Cherries are just in the markets now and I think this shortcake is worth the trip to the stand on this lazy afternoon!

n33ma said...

Those were really nice 100 post and looking fwd for more.Congrats on the award too.I too cooked chicken for the first time when I landed here in the US of A.The shortcake looks scrumptious.

Julie said...

Congrats on your 100th post. That's a beautiful dessert!

Malar Gandhi said...

Gosh, what a drool worthy picture...you are making me crave for it, now.

Sharmila said...

Mmmm Varsha ... what lovely looking snaps! And what a beautiful cake!

Subhie Arun said...

congrats on 100th post...keep posting....shortcake looks grt yar as usual..too temtpting..thx 4 sharin..will try out soon

Red Chillies said...

Congratulations on the milestone. Loved the cherry preserve and has inspired to try something along that line. Thanks for the recipe.

Hari Chandana said...

Oh!!
Congrats on your 100 post.. nice clicks :)

Ria said...

Congrats on the award Varsha!! And those shortcakes look mighty delicious!! Really nice pics :)

Usha said...

Congrats on reaching this milestone, looking forward to 100s of more yum posts from you ! The cherry shortcake looks inviting :-)

Varsha Vipins said...

Thanks dear everyone..am so so glad to see u all wishing me n this is the sure one that gives me the nudge to move ahead..happy that you all liked the cherry cake..luv ya all..:)

Sunshinemom said...

Oh lovely! All that ooze from the preserve makes me want to lick it up:). Congrats on the landmark!!

CHAITRA said...

Cherry short cake looks tempting!!Mouth watering presentation.Drop in sometime!!

CHAITRA said...

Cherry short cake looks tempting!!Mouth watering presentation.Drop in sometime!!

Keerthana said...

hey varsha, congrats on 100th post..that's a good inspiration for a lazy person like me:) and the cake looks super awesome!

notyet100 said...

yummy,..and congrtas for 100th post,..

Roopa said...

Hey congrats on your 100 th post !! Sorry for the delay though :) .....Reading your Honest scraps , I felt as if I was reading something about myself :) , especially the cute collectibles part and the babies part ;)

Vijitha Shyam said...

Hi varsha
Yeah its the same situation. I am getting really lazy :-(

Congrats girlie! good job.

 
Creative Commons License
Will-O'-the-Wisp is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
.