Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Butternut Squash Soup…..!!

Squash Soup

Hii..I am back on this bright sunny day with a sunny soup..yup..totally yellow n bright n fun.I know I know..this is not the perfect time for soups..But this one is really comforting on one of those cold late night dinner’s.:)..Did I tell you that Seattle is no more rainy?yeah..you heard it right..It has not rained here since so long n now I have actually started missing the rains..not that I hated it before..But these days,this climate is making a mess of ma home..Dust is the villain n so are dandelions..!! While driving we cant help but gasp seeing tons of dandelions floating everywhere..!!..Its like snow..:P..n sometimes when I keep my windows open I’ll get a few of them inside plus some uninvited guests like bees n all ..humming n singing around me..So I am totally with a sweeper all the time..cleaning every now n then..:)..Weekend was fun n fast..Seattle Market festival..lotsa colors..food..kids..show’s..shopping..n we had a swell of time..Spring/summer are always gala time here,n so everywhere people seems to stop by n enjoy ..Al these festive moods slightly make me wistful as well..thinking of all the similar occasions in ma home town..hmm..But no worries..Enjoy the moment n spread a smile..that should be the motto,no..:)..!

I am kinda totally languid today..I dunno ..sort of lazy n in one of those moods,when all you wana do is a sip some coffee,stretch n lay back on your couch with a favorite book.I am in same mood since many days actually..lol..Kinda inertia mebe..or after all that shifting-settling process,my body has decided to go to hibernation mode..:D..Not much experiments in kitchen as well..or when I do ,I dont feel like putting up a set,flexing ma body n take pics..I made a cheesy risotto ,some pasta dishes n all which came out good ,but I couldn't copy it..:(..Ahh.So mmm..I guess I’ll go straight to my dish today..

Squash Soup

I saw about squash soup in Pooja’s blog n I was deeply inspired to try it out..But the forgot it n last week when I saw a relatively small squash,I thought of giving it a try..I made it in the usual way I make ma soups,with some add/minus here n there..

Squash is very very nutritious with tons of goodness in it..amazing for skin n eyes n everything else.So this pure squash soup will do great not only on you taste buds but also for your body ..:)

here you go..:)

Squash Soup

Take a wide bottomed pan/soup pot n dry roast a 2 inch cinnamon stick n 2 bay leaves ,under low heat.

When fragrant,add a block of butter n when it bubbles add a tbsp of finely minced garlic n saute till slightly brown.

Now throw in 1/2 a cup of chopped shallots n 1/3 cup of chopped celery n saute well.

Sprinkle salt and a generous amount of pepper n red pepper flakes(as per your heat-tolerance.Squash is sweet ,so I had to add them liberally to balance it up)

Simmer for a while and throw in a small tomato chopped up.

Meanwhile I microwaved the cubed squash chunks in some water for about 8 mins,cos mine was kinda hard n it would have taken a lot of time in pan.So microwaved to just soften it up a bit..you can do it as per your convenience.

So now add the squash chunks into the pan and mix well.

Sprinkle a tsp of dried parsley flakes n a tsp of Italian seasoning.

Simmer n close the pot.

After sometime open up,n mash the softened squash chunks n mix everything well.

Adjust salt.

Sprinkle pepper/pepper flakes if u need.

Now cool it,remove cinnamon stick n bay leaves, n transfer in batches to a blender n puree it.You’ll get a nice thick creamy puree.:)

Bring it back to the pan,pour in a cup or more of water n bring to boil n simmer till the thickness you need is attained.

Now lower the heat and add about 1/4-1/3 cup of heavy cream.(as per your taste..I added just 1/4 cup ).

Sprinkle a bit of Italian seasoning here again n add some butter as well..

Now ladle it into your soup bowls n sprinkle fresh chopped parsley(I added cilantro tho..am an addict of that herb..:D).I grated my favorite Pepper jack cheese generously over the soup,n dunk some crispy Italian bread in it n mmmmhhh..heaven..:)

Picture 1361

As I mentioned squash is sweet n so spicy people(like me..:D) will need lotsa heat to balance it up.The key is to taste every now n then n adjust things..A lil salt is ok now..n now..more pepper can do..k..lil more pepper flakes..n like that..got it..?:D

So it was all yum n good..n thanks to dear Pooja for giving me the essential nudge to try this out..:)

Keep your smiles all of ya.. n hugs..:)

StumbleUpon

56 Luv'ly people shared their views..:

Sakshi said...

Butternut Squash Soup...omg..u guys can make anything out of a poor happy smiling fella no?? squashed it and made it into a soup...hmmm...but it looks so good in ur pic as if it's in heaven with all that beautiful Apsara of a bread slice around it...ok my imagination is a little weird what I wanted to say is its looking gorgeous.

U with a broom reminds me of a witch...I mean a cute Giada kind of a witch ok??? Ha lazy well that's great to hear after u still managing to post so regularly every week...I am not lazy only to do one thing and that is bombard people's blog with my long comments...that I like...

So u guys had a great weekend at the market place haan?? lucky you..

Sakshi said...

Haa I see today that I proved I am your bestest friend and commented before a certain Ms. SJ friend...she must be still rotting in her lab..tsk...tsk..

Divya Vikram said...

Soup looks divine girl! And did u bake that bread! Looks so good!Am inviting myself to your place for dinner!

5 Star Foodie said...

Would love butternut squash soup any time of the year! Delicious!

Pavithra said...

Thats looking gorgeous gal!!! I am big soup lover. I love squash soup very much including divya me too inviting myself to have soup over there but after finishing my soup today. he he!!!!

A2Z Vegetarian Cuisine said...

Wow soup looks so gooood. Very nice click too.

Pooja said...

I'm very happy to see that you have made butternut squash soup Varsha! Wow I feel honoured..hehe! Love your version of the soup with cinnamon, shallots, cheese n cream! Makes it flavourful and delicious! And as you said I love to have soup at all time of the year! Its so comforting :)

Viki's Kitchen said...

Butternut squash with that bread.. slurp...I can finish it in a gulp:)
Take care da.

sowmya said...

soup looks delicious..

Prathibha said...

That soup looks absolutely gorgeous..Nice color and texture for the soup!!

anudivya said...

Looks bright and vibrant like you mentioned... just like Seattle weather! My day is not complete without reading the weather report from you ;)

RAKS KITCHEN said...

Never tried making soup,looks yummy and filling!

Jyoti said...

Looks mouth watering !

Lavi said...

Beautifull Presentation! Soup Look's Delicious!

Poornima Nair said...

Looks so comforting n delicious...I have never made such soups before, got to give it a try soon.

Superchef said...

love soup with butternut squash..next time try with some roasted red peppers also..that combo is awesome! Here is one of my recipe..

http://superchef-mirchmasala.blogspot.com/2008/03/roasted-butternut-squash-and-tomato.html

jayasree said...

Soup looks creamy and delcicious. Gorgeous presentation.

Kitchen Flavours said...

Oh wow looks simply yum......

Varunavi said...

soup looks delicious....

Lena Rashmin Raj said...

Butternut Squash Soup.!!!!!!!!!!
amazing Varshaa...as usual snap is just wonderful.. :)

Varsha Vipins said...

Sachuu..still on hang over huh..:D:D..Thanks thanks..n me witch??ahem..its ok if Gaida kinda witch tho..:D..n I heard SJ got attacked by a ferocious amoeba..sobs..:P
Thanks Divya n Nats ,pavitra n A2Z..:)
Pooja,yea,,soup is always comforting..:)
Thanks Viki,Sowmya n Pratibha..:P
Divya..heehee..I cant help it..:D
Raks,jyoti,Lavi thanks..:)
Poornima..even I was like you..but now I do make it once in while..Its so feel-good n filling.Give it a try...:)
Thanks everyone else..:)

Suparna said...

hi varsha,
nice read as always it was fun :) keep going girl! woho! look at that pic am drooling away to glory!! good one varsha!never made coup outa Btrnt squash :p looks and sounds yummm

Happy cook said...

I love soups like this andyours look so yummy delcious.

Priya said...

Butternut squash soup looks bright and terrific..looks gorgeous Varsha!

sangeeta said...

nice soup with a smile.....real sunshine...
had seen Jamie oliver ince on TV roasting the butternut squashes n wanted to do that ,,,,,n now this soup with your special effect of chilli flakes....yum.

Chitra said...

sweet n spicy yellow yellow soup..feel like tasting it now;)

SJ said...

Sakshi- You shall be fed a earthworm stuffed masala dose and Varsha, no I ate that Ameoba and am now ...SuperSJmoeba tadatadaaa...

I have never cooked with squash and was planning to eat N's head for some recipes. NOw I can try this one. Ha! I eat my rotis with jalapenos and everything else with hot sauce so don't you worry abt spice level.

Valarmathi said...

Looks yummy. Beautiful click.

Soma said...

Thats a very pretty soup & a pretty pic. I need no season to have soup.

Lazy is what i am feeling, long for some time to read a book in a coner. but that is not to be:-(

DEESHA said...

I love butternut squash .. I gives such a lovely flavor .. yummy soup

Gita said...

I have never tried butternut squash soup before...it does look so comforting with the bread...I should give it a try :)

Laavanya said...

The sweetness of this squash puts me off so i don't buy often but nice to know that you've added a lot of heat to make up for it - looks very pretty.

AnuSriram said...

Yummy soup! Thats so comforting!

VineelaSiva said...

Hai varsha the soup looks very colourful and temting.I never tried anything from buttersquash the soup makes me tempting to prepare the soup.Lovely past varsh.

Reeni♥ said...

This is one of my favorite soups! I've never had it spicy, it sounds wonderful!! Enjoy your beautiful weather!! You deserve to take it easy after all that moving!

mangala said...

Ohh ! sorry for the late comment ..hey soo sorry ..

WowOWWow! yummy soup ..what a lovely clicks ..Yummy looking very delicious :)Thanks soo much for sharing :)

girlichef said...

Oh wow, this is soooo picture perfect and it sounds absolutely mouthwatering :)

kittymatti said...

looks creamy!! yumm!

munchcrunchandsuch said...

I am a fan of soups- summer or winter, rain/ shine. so bring it on.btw, just a suggestion, I notice that u have added text on the spoon ..instead can u make it on the soup? newspapers r known to lift gud stuff from blogs.

Varsha Vipins said...

Oh..Thanks for that note Subha..:)

Padma said...

Butternut squash soup looks delicious Varsha... and nice click.
Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving your comments :)

Chef E said...

I love reading your story about the rain, feeling lazy, the dandelion wisps floating like snow, I felt like I was there and laying back to enjoy some soup with you, and tea I hope!

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

Hey Varsha are you sending me this soup cos am down with cold ;)??? looks very comfoting and all I can think of is that slice of bread with the hot soup now!!!

Nithya said...

Yummy soup.. it is a lovely recipe.. You have a nice attractive photography skills too. :)

veena said...

Hi dear
soup looks very delicious ..but never tried this ...

Priti said...

Hey gal ...soup looks yum and as always wonderful clicks...u got wonderful energy to write so much always :)

jayasri said...

Soup looks very delicious with nice colour never tried, i haven't tried much of soups :), with the bread it looks so gorgeous dear.., how does it go if i cut it out on butter & cream will it still be delicious ?, and minus cheese too !

Shama Nagarajan said...

yummy delicious soup dear

roopa said...

ooks very comforting :) I love soup no matter what the season, time or climate is :)

Never tried butternut squash, does it taste similar to pumpkin?

Nithya Praveen said...

Looks so bright and elegant.Wodnerful one! I thought i did post my comments two days back....boo hoo dint see it here...hence posting again.Hope this one goes thru.Also the last click is superb!

Vij said...

yummy soup! looks so warm n inviting varsha.

lisaiscooking said...

Your soup looks delicious! I love the colors, and it looks so healthy.

Lavanya said...

i love the soup color..delicious!!

Ana Powell said...

Hi Varsha
Your soup looks absolutely delicious and your photos are beautiful.
Have a great weekend x

Usha said...

This soup sounds delicious !

notyet100 said...

looks perfect...ever tried cookin with buttersquash..

 
Creative Commons License
Will-O'-the-Wisp is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
.