Thursday, May 14, 2009

Purple Cabbage-Egg Stir fry..( Cabbage – Egg Thoran )…!!!

 

 

Picture 1256

 

 

 

 

Today morning , I was playing with snow balls in Swiss mountains..tossing them n slipping on snow on the foot of a peak,when I suddenly saw a humongous ball rushing from the top towards me,rapidly increasing it size all the way.I was horror struck n perching both ma hands on my tiny head,I tried to run,but slipped ,skid n fell ass flat on the snow n then I saw the big thing straight over ma head ,ready to hit any moment.A sudden ka boom sound n I yelled out..tried to do that actually,but came out as muffled squeals n then I  heard some more sounds n opened my eyes…!! Haa..I was dreaming..n the goddamn sounds were from some engines that were working in the  condo complex.. I was happy and angry at the same time.Happy that I am no longer in Swiss,trying to protect ma head n angry with all those people who actually dared to make all those sounds n disturb my sleep ,that too at 9 O’ clock in the morning..So bad..!! I have to complain to the management..I mean ,how bad of them ,huh? Cursing them n our tummies,which were actually starting to protest,I toasted some waffles n grabbed a cup of juice.Big job..duh..:D

So what is the relation between my snowball dream n purple cabbage?? Any clue? hee..actually there is no connection at all..So save your brain(which, I guess ,got really flushed out after reading the 1st para..:D)..I guess all the guilty feeling of not being enough responsible in packing,cleaning etc,apparently  accumulated into that big snow ball,in ma dream.Yup..Being the clumsiest person,ever alive,I am still procrastinating stuffs n waiting for that pleasant Saturday,when I’ll be running around the whole place like a mad fly.I did start,but yet have piles of clothes in the closet n not to mention the small heaps of accessories ,mounted liberally on every part of the bedroom.I sincerely hope,my porcelain plates n delicate crockery stuff,survive the shift,because I am the one who is packing n taking it to the new place..:D

So ..so we are shifting on this weekend and lord knows,how long it’ll take for the net connection to get set..n also US to get settled..So ,this is my post ,before a break..hopefully ..a short one…

Cabbage - Mutta Thoran

This is a simple,yet delicious dish,a less spicy one which tastes good with roti’s,but best with hot rice n some main curry.Thoran is an authentic Kerala dish,in which the veggies are stir-fried with fresh grated coconut n tempering.This one is a nice twist to the good ole’ thing by cracking an egg into the pan..:P But I dont know if it’ll taste good with all sorts of veggies used for Thoran.But yeah,it tastes awesome with Cabbage..I have made it with  green cabbage as well.Tastes awesome there as well.But I especially like the purple hue of this cabbage,which turns into a gorgeous blue shade when hit by any alkaline substance,due  to the presence of a chemical called anthocyanin in the cabbage.As tap water has lime n all,this one turned into a shade of blue.Haa..mysteries of Mother Nature..:)..n you can bring the color back ,by adding a lil’ of lime juice or vinegar as they are acidic.I was planning to do that ..But this blue color was so attractive,even more than the purple.So I let it be so..:)

Cabbage - Mutta Thoran

Haa..After the Chemistry class,lemme move on to the recipe..Pretty simple n known to all..:)

I used half of a cabbage n that took us to days to finish..:O..Reason is Purple cabbage doesn't wilt/shrink that much like the green one during cooking n it takes longer time to cook as well.

You need:

1/2 Purple cabbage shredded(which is like 3-4 cups)

1/2-3/4 cup sliced shallots/onion

1 piece ginger  julienned

5-6 slit green chillies

3/4 cup of Fresh grated coconut(available in Indian stores)

1 egg,well beaten with 1 tsp Pepper powder n lil salt.

1/2 tsp Turmeric powder

 

Mustard seeds,fenugreek,Urad,chana Dal,raw rice,broken red chillies n Lots of curry leaves –for tempering

Salt

Oil

You can either cook the cabbage separately or do it in the pan after tempering.It works fine for green cabbage.For purple cabbage,you may want to half-cook it in  a separate pan.Drizzle some water,close n cook in simmer for some 5 mins.

In another pan heat oil,n do the tempering with  2 tsp or more (Fenugreek,1 tsp only)of all the ingredients.

Fry well till fragrant.

Now throw in the ginger,shallots n chillies n fry well with some salt n turmeric powder.

Add grated coconut n mix well n saute for few minutes.

Now heap it to the center n pop the half cooked cabbage over ,covering it.

Close,simmer n cook for sometime.The steam passes through the aromatic coconut –tempering mix to make the cabbage flavorful.

Open,increase heat n mix well.Adjust salt.

After a minute or two of sautéing ,make a well in the center n pour the beaten egg.

Now gently mix it with the cabbage n stir fry everything under high heat for few minutes,till the egg  is set n properly mixed with the cabbage.

Sprinkle some oil n curry leaves on top n switch off.

Cabbage - Egg thoran

Sooo easy right??..So do try it out,n hope u all like it..:)

Take care  n hope to see you all soon..:)

Hugs

 

StumbleUpon

62 Luv'ly people shared their views..:

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

I like the purple hues, and the veggie itself is so colorful, addition of eggs should make it double healthy!!!

Mangala Bhat said...

Wowow ..nice recipe ..looks sooo colorful ...healthy ttooo :) Thanks for sharing

Cham said...

Ha ha 9 o'clock too early babe :) That is very pretty ur shot and the cabbage too!

Indhu said...

love love the colour of the cabbage... excellent pictures as usual :)

Sanghi said...

Nice simple stir fry.. Colourful click varsha!

sowmya said...

purple cabbage with eggs sounds good..

Sharmila said...

Have had purple cabbage in salad only ... with egg sounds interesting. :-)

Nags said...

Lovely idea :)

Divya Vikram said...

Colorful! Same pinch! I wake up at around 9 too!!:) Havent tried making caabage with egg! Should try next time. And happy shifting gal!

Superchef said...

cabbage thoran with egg also..great idea! was wondering where you were when i saw this post update on twitter.

Good luck with the move. Let me know if you need any help. Don't have any major plans this weekend, so i can always come over :)

Priti said...

Your dream is more like movie scene dear :p...the only thing u missed is a handsome hunk coming and saving you..heheh...anyways cabbage stir fry looks gud...all the best with your shifting ;)

Sush said...

lovely photos Varsha.., addition of eggs must be making it double tasty.loved the color of the thoran

Pavithra said...

Thats looking so good varsha.. I love purple cabbage.. Except egg i do the same.. next time i will try this

Home Cooked Oriya Food said...

amazing color of the recipe. 1st time here.. very nice blog

Prathibha said...

Hmmm....Nice thoran gal....Love the purple cabbage....

Ashwini said...

Wow nice dream. Love the color of the cabbage. Nice and simple fry.Yumm

Lena Rashmin Raj said...

nice snap as usual....really nice varsha..that comment was really nice varsha..im at pashan now..near to Baner..nw im free..joing at HCL in july.. :)

luckysanjana said...

Never thought to mix eggs with cabbage.

Suparna said...

Hi Varsha,
nice combo for a stir fry :) nice snaps :) easy and healthy!
Happy weekend.
TC

Sathya Sankar said...

Hey varsha, cabbage looks yummy, i normally use eggs instead of coconut.
Good luck with the move and same pinch , there is some packing going on here too :)

Rachel said...

I make a stirfry minus the eggs.

Lovely dream :D

Akal's Saappadu said...

enjoyed the 1st paragraph , imagining you under the big ball of snow....hehehe

purple cabbage thoran looks appetizing, lovely color. hope you get some calm in your new house :) Happy Packing up !

Lena Rashmin Raj said...

A small surprise 4 u in my blog :)

sangeeta said...

i am missing the photo of the swiss alps here......

the dish is a good dose of antioxidants....i make a similar stirfry with cabbage , beans or carrots...(without eggs n rice in the tadka)which somebody has told me is called 'foogath'....any way i am confused about south indian names.

Priya said...

Cute shots Varsha, lovely purple cook..stir fry looks amazing with eggs!

Chitra said...

i've never used purple cabbage, should try sometime.looks great!!

Happy cook said...

I have only had this with apples , love the idea of making them with spices.

5 Star Foodie said...

I love the gorgeous colors of the purple cabbage! Delicious dish!

Valarmathi said...

Love the color. Nice pictures. Looks yummy.

Gita's Kitchen said...

After reading the first few lines, I was wondering is this gal blogging from Swiss..ha ha :) Even I used make poriyal with purple cabbages, mixing them with eggs is a good idea dear.

Sakshi said...

Great going gal...my brain which was dangerously hanging on to my knee cap got totally flushed down after reading your swiss dream..na not bcoz of the snow ball that was chasing you..how come you were having a swiss dream and there was no CHOCOLATES in it??? I would at least dream of having a big bar of chocolate in my hand before going under that snow ball...could munch on them till a hunk came to save me u see??

Duhh...good that you gave that chemistry lecture coz I was doubting that Picassa had a role in that change of colour from purple to blue the way I turn my brown skin to white :)..yeah I prefer Picassa over Fair & Lovely.

Never tried to cook this cabbage..I like to eat it in salads and sometimes in vinegar and chillies..one more thing to try from your recipes.

Yup am praying for all your crockeries...want them intact so that you will put up all those pics with food in them...Gal get your rear end moving and pack!!!! I am totally nervous about it more than you (Ironed around 30 pieces of junk thinking of u).

Laavanya said...

I've heard great things about this combination but haven't tried it myself - nice!

Reeni♥ said...

This looks beautiful!! And so healthy and delicious! I hope everything goes well in your move!! I'll miss you, hope you get internet fast!!!!

anudivya said...

The only place I have used cabbages and eggs together is in a egg fried rice. This sounds very interesting.

Poornima Nair said...

Thats a healthy dish...I love the color of this cabbage and ur right it takes so long to finish it, I keep looking for the smallest one available.
Thats quite a dream u had:)

Smitha said...

Hey,
Crazy dream huh? Nice colorful side dish. I've never cooked with this cabbage.Does the cabbage actually turn blue when u cook it? Cool. Love the color.

Soma said...

U R one funny girl:-) Very interesting recipe & great pics as usual! LOL...

Renuka said...

Wow..Nice colors...and looks delicious..i have tried cauliflower thoran with egg..that came out great.. will try this out..

A_and_N said...

The coloour is GORGEOUS!!

Varsha Vipins said...

Thanks all..
Sachuzz..hee..I forgot the choc part..guess I had a big bar of milk n choc nuts in hand..;)
Smitha..yeah it indeed turns blue ..:)..Cool na..:)

Yasmeen said...

I always ignore purple cabbage while shopping,guess I won't anymore,its got such beautiful color ,bet it tastes super good with eggs.
Make sure you wrap the delicate porcelain in layers of paper or bubble wrap to save from any damage,Hope everything goes well:)

notyet100 said...

even i dream weird dreams ,,..sometimes,..and get a shock when i wake up,...sometimes these dreams r too real,..:-)thoran looks yum,..happy shiftin ceeu soon,..

Shreya said...

Hi Varsha, that colour is really great! really healthy and must have tasted great with egg:-)

Ammu said...

Wonderful color. Looks yummy and delicious.

rekhas kitchen said...

nice post varsha and a beautiful dream even i dont like people like that hummm recipe looks yum I made purple cabbage with channa dal next time wil try with egg beautiful pic

SJ said...

I hate packing and moving- absolutely detest and dread it! Good luck with moving and packing. Do it before you get anymore snow ball dreams!

Bah! Anything I buy in this country last me for at least 2 weeks- ridiculously huge quantities. My mom used to make this thoran minus the egg yea with purple cabbage - God knows where she found it in Bangalore!

RAKS KITCHEN said...

I make with macaroni,and I think this also tastes similar to that :)

mathew said...

i like the dish..but the veggie reminds me of potassium permangnate and brings unpleasant memories of my chemistry classes at school ! :(

Sig said...

Sleeping till 9 on a weekday? I am so jealous girl! :)
I have never made cabbage-egg combo, but my mom adds eggs to a lot of thorans :)

VIDYA VENKY said...

thatz soooo colorful..love the purple color....looks gr8

Kalyani said...

it is so colorful and a very healthy one ......

Kalai said...

wow,colorful dish.wonderful click.

AnuSriram said...

Lovely colour! Looks gr8! Healthy too..

n33ma said...

Love the color.I too add an egg just to make it more interesting and healthier.

Nithya Praveen said...

Do i call this a coincidence or a mere bad luck,i jes got back and you are gone:-P.Well happy packing,i can understand shifting is completely a strenous job.Coming to the recipe,i prefer the purple ones to the green ones,they are good for salads too.A very healthy one!And ya not to mention,that was a wonderful dream,i kept laughing:)tk cr girl!

Lena Rashmin Raj said...

hai ammuuu...still busy wth shifting or getting delayed 4 d net connection...come fast wth slurpy recipes and wonderful snaps..miss uu..

Vani said...

Blue bhaji made with purple cabbage & eggs - wow! Lovely pics too

Pooja said...

Hey Varsha..I have something for you in my blog at: http://myexperiencewithcooking.blogspot.com/2009/05/mushroom-fried-rice-and-my-50th-post.html

Vicky Xavier. said...

Purple cabbage stir fry with egg looks great. Love the color combo and the black n white pics too:)

Purva Desai said...

The colour of the dish is eye catching and dish is very nutritious...thanks for sharing

Usha said...

What a beautiful color, looks really nice and so healthy too....

Malar Gandhi said...

looks gud.

 
Creative Commons License
Will-O'-the-Wisp is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
.