Tuesday, May 26, 2009

FRUITS n NUTS PULAV..!!!

Picture 1304-1

A BIG Hiiii to all of ya out there..Yup..am back after a real long break..Its been almost 2 weeks since I came here n shared some tid bits n food with you all..:)..n I have tons of posts to catch up with as well..I did saw many of them,but couldn’t actually drop in n say a hi ,as I never got a chance to sit n relax n be into the blog mood..:) .I am coming up there to see what yummy things you all are cooking up..:)..So how was the long weekend for you all?Saw some pics in FB,orkut etc n hope you all had a wonderful time..:).For us,it was the first weekend that we got after about a month of trips n busy days,n we had it at home with friends n of course we did got to downtown..All that coming up..:).Thanks for all the comments n peep-in’s that you all did to see how I am doing..n yup it feel s good to be back.. n hey I have loads of things to share with you as well..But of course I dont wanna bore you to nuts with a 2 page long post.So I’ll quickly cram up everything in this small page..okies? So here we go..!! ;D

 

We got shifted to this pretty cute home of ours last weekend n since then I was totally on the run..Now you all know,how hectic a home shift can be..It really did make us go dead n slumber everyday into bed with aching tired bodies.But setting up the home is fun I must say I really enjoyed it..I mean we all do right..to shape our house into a home of our dreams..arranging the stuffs,putting up decor’s n cute things n list goes on..So it was all beautiful,but still I have many baggage's ,still unopened,full of clothes n junk stuffs.So literally we are not yet settled..lol..But that can wait I guess..:D..Luckily my delicate cookware's n porcelain pieces reached their shelves without any damages and thanks to you all for all the tips n wishes you passed on ..:D..So now am one happy soul in my new home,n this is a wonderfully pretty place with greens everywhere around..All our windows open to vast meadows n cute bright flowers around n once in a while some pretty duck with ducklings n cutie pie bunnies peep in to say hello’s..:)..Its so bright n cheerful here n cooking n having food is so good as we have this eye-soothing sceneries' around..:) This is just outside our patio..:)

Picture 1322

On the cooking front,I did cook elaborately this weekend,when we had some dear friends coming home from Boston.We had them for Saturday dinner n I made some dishes,most of them ,I have it here in blog.I made this Fruits n Nuts Pulav ,Naan’s,Tandoori chicken,Fish fry n Butter Chicken n for dessert -  Brownies with chocolate ganache n icecream.Everything came out good,especially all liked the butter chicken and it tasted awesome the next day.Better than any hotel ones’ I felt..:)..Other than that ,I haven't started cooking on the experimental mode,to put up something here..:P..Hope to start soon..:).I am so addicted to Food network n Giada De’Laurentiis now.Love her..n I just wait for 12 30 noon to see her Everyday Italian..:D Have to try some of her’s..Any fans out there??

 

On sunday we went out with them to Seattle Downtown,Space Needle n Pike place Market..Oh Boy..!! Seattle was SO MUCH fun this weekend.We had the Folklore festival going on n there was music,dance ,magic n parades everywhere..So much of color n bright sunshine to top it all up..There was Food Fest also going on n in small food stalls they were serving delicacies of different places like Korea,Tibet,Greek n so on..Shame that my cam battery got down n I couldn't get the snaps..But It was all soo good,n the Pike place market was brimming with color’s n rare stuffs.They had a sale of multitudes of Home made fresh Pasta n Orzo’s n many of them were new to me.I picked up home, some of it n some Blood Oranges(It’s blood color inside n the juice looks like blood..:D),Fava beans,Dried Prunes n so on..n I also got this amazingly delicious Vanilla Peach preserves of Chukar’s,which was lip smacking delicious.All Seattleites',if you haven’t ever tried this,do get hold of a bottle..Its so damn good..!!

 

Picture 1297

Haa..its getting loong…:D..So am rushing on to the recipe of Fruits n Nuts Pulav.Pulav is an Indian rice dish with Basmati rice as main item ,paired with spices n other accompaniment’s of choice.This is a simple one n similar to the royal Nawabi Pulav of Lucknow.Royal because it has got all royal stuffs in it..Nuts,fruits n saffron mingled with aromatic spices in pure Basmati rice..haa..sounds soo good right..really a royal dish..!:)..Last weekend,when we went for buffet in Spice route,they had this served n I got only the name of the dish.So I just reproduced it my way,n its so rich n yum..Perfect pair with my butter chicken n all other items..:)

The pics I have here was taken from our  dining room window side,n I liked the natural shadow..:)

What I did :

I took a cup n half of Basmati rice n after cleaning it 2 rounds,soaked it in 2 cups of water for 30 minutes.

Heated a Kadai,threw in an inch of cinnamom,2 cloves n 2 cardamom n dry roasted for a while until aromatic.

Then added some ghee n when the spices spluttered,added 2 bay leaves as well.

Then I threw in 1/2 a cup of sliced shallots n sprinkled some sugar over it n fried lightly.

Then I added the rice(saving the soaked water) and fried it with all the spices n onions for sometime,till it turned opaque.

Time to add the water in which rice was soaked,sprinkled enough salt n brought it to a boil.

Then lowered the heat,closed it with lid n simmered it for a while.

Meanwhile,I heated ghee in another kadai n added almost a cup of silvered almonds,nuts,raisins n craisins(you can even add finely chopped tootty-frootty) n fried for a while till the fruits got plump n nuts browned.

By then the rice was cooked,still moist though.So I popped in the rice into the other kadai with fruits n nuts n fluffed n mixed it with a spork.

Meanwhile,I had a few strands of saffron soaked in about 1/4 cup warm milk.When it turned a shade of deep yellow,I poured that over the pulav n fluffed well again.Adjusted salt n let it sit for a while.

Picture 1300

 

Delicious Fruits n Nuts Pulav is ready to serve..:)..n am sending this to the monthly mingle-rice of Nags n Meeta..:)

Thank to Swapna n Lena for passing me the I love your blog award..

loveblogaward

Also Pooja passed me the chirpy n cheerful blog award for being chirpy n cheerful n spreading aura of happiness ,as she says..:)

..thanks a ton to you all 3..:)

Chirpy & Cheerful Blog Award

That's it for now..See ya all soon..Have a great week ahead..:)

Hugs

StumbleUpon

77 Luv'ly people shared their views..:

Pavithra said...

Oh wow varsha , good to see u back and pulav is looking fantabulous..wonderful pictures. I would have invited myself for the dinner seeing the menu.. And I am big big fan of Giada.. her cute cute dishes are so fabulous.

Gita's Kitchen said...

That dish looks like a celebration Varsha :) We are shifting at the end of this month...thats quite a daunting task..give me some tips dear.

Pavithra said...

The house and environment is so good...

VineelaSiva said...

Welcome back varsha with the nice pulav.Upload some of ur house fotos dear.I love ur photografic think ur home decoration will be awesome.

Soma said...

You live in rolling hills & mountains & u are jealous of me? huh?

this looks amazing & love to make & eat this. I am also going to steal that bowl one day.

Home Cooked Oriya Food said...

Wow - what a platter... Love it...

Pooja said...

Wow the pulav looks delicious! Would have gone great with butter chicken!

Helene said...

Welcome back! Nice rice. Love the combination of fruits & nuts.

SJ said...

Giada no...she needs to wear a scarf or shawl or something. Too much cleavage!!!! I like Ina Garten and I love her husband Jeffrey so cute :P You watch Alton Brown's good eats? Its like your 12th std. chemistry!!!

Nice pulao I say...I wish I had someone who would invite us over and cook yummy food ~sigh~

Superchef said...

heyy..was wondering where u were..thought of sending a messag e on FB but then thought it must be all the house shifting n all..so where have you guys moved to?

the pulav looks great!

Bharti said...

Congrats on your new home! The pulao looks delish.

Prathibha said...

Welcome back varsha.....That pulav looks amazing and so is ur house....:)

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

pulao looks so yummy varsha... what a long post.. enjoyed reading them.

Ramya Bala said...

Yummy rice varsha...this packing and unpacking will go on and on and on ;)

Vibaas said...

good to see u back with a yummy recipe :-) Congrats on the awards..will catch up with u soon..i am on and off too with blogging :)

Make the Impossible...Possible said...

Nice pulav..with lots of nuts...really royal indeed...
So hectic work is it, shifting and setting up..Enjoy..

Ria said...

Back with a bang.. is it?? Good! That pulav looks soft nd moist! :)Adipoli.. I really liked the pic where ur hand is seen.... the hand behind all this work! It's ur hand itself rite?? Or kutts?? :P

നിലാവ് said...

Reading your posts, is a refreshing experience! And the pulav looks great! will try it soon :)

Have a wonderful week ahead..

Suparna said...

hi V,
Glad u r back :) was curious about ur sudden vanishing act;) nice pics of house surroundings, enjoy the new space girl!
Pulao looks yummy with fruits and nuts.
TC

Cham said...

Welcome back, love the green view, It will lift ur spirit! Good pulaov :)

Sig said...

Hey Varsha, congrats on the new home! It is so much fun setting up a new house, but lots of work too.. :)

Ammu said...

Really very rich pulav. Kids will enjoy this. Nice clicks.

RAKS KITCHEN said...

Pulav looks awesome dear,hope u enjoyed it:)good to see u after break:)

Indhu said...

OMG... that's an awesome picture... love love this pulav recipe... and I was there in Pike Place Market .. but on saturday... it was very pretty and colorful with the fair going on...right?

Divya Vikram said...

Welcome back dear! Pulao looks rich n lovely. Great to know abt ur lovely weekend!

Sharmilee! :) said...

Welcome back and congrats on ur new home, upload more pics of the interiors! Pulav looks inviting....with the fruits n nuts.

Swapna said...

Pulav looks delicious Varsha!!!... and wow that green
sceneries... really getting jealous of you Varsha...;)

sowmya said...

pulao looks yumm...hope you are having a great time at your new home!!

Sharmila said...

What a lovely virtual tour you have given here! Great to see you back ... with such a nice recipe! :-)

sangeeta said...

your house looks like a dream house....the greens keep you happy all the time.
pulav is fabulous with butter chicken......i make mine without the shallots.

Happy cook said...

Wow that pulav looks so so yumm.
Love th bowl you have served too.
Send to Nage rice event.

Navita said...

Hey Varsha, congratulations on your new home...it looks beautiful!Which part of the country is this?

How have you been? Long time no see and the Pulav is driving me 'nuts'..lol..

aquadaze said...

good to see you back! Though very back breaking, isn't there something very exciting about moving and setting up the house again?
Yummy looking pulav that is.

Nags said...

hey hey! lovely rice bowl there. you havent sent me the details yet, have you? Do soon :) dont forget!!

Valarmathi said...

Lovely picture. Pulav looks delicious.

Kitchen Flavours said...

Oh wow perfect way to celebrate......looks yum....Love the mixed nutty flavours...

Priya said...

Varsha, am jealous now..hahaha...Wat a fruity and nutty pulav...yummy!

Mangala Bhat said...

Sorry for the late comment dearie ....lovely pulav ..looks very tasty pics r awsome as usual .thanks for sharing ,..hey nice home ...:)

A2Z Vegetarian Cuisine said...

fruit & nut pulav looks delicious

Vishali said...

Boy! that looks delicious girl. So, u have finally set up the new apt. Good to know more from you and the snaps look wonderful. Hope u have a nice time in the new apt.

Sakshi said...

Welcome back but why do I get the feeling that I didn't miss you at all...are you on my chat list???
So home is all set up and now you got the couch at the right place where you can glue urself to it?? Wow you made all those for the guests...wish I was the one from Boston to visit you.
You got such wonderful manicured hands in the pic...how do u get time for all this? Me don't like Giada for the simple reason that am scared all the time that something else might accidentaly drop into the recipe from her body :) Yeah yeah am an Alton Brown fan...
The pulao pic is perfect

DEESHA said...

Thatz a very yummy pulao .. hope yu are all well settled in yr new home

Rush said...

looks great and scrumptious :)
hey varsha, a favor to ask.
i liked the taste of kerala widget, which shows pictures and then when u click on it takes u to the recipe!!..cud u share the widget source with me..my blog is not entirely food, just started with one grilling section, i wanted to add this widget "horizontally" to one of my posts..cud u help?

Yasmeen said...

Welcome back dearie,you sure were missed.What lush green view of the window,I've yet to start packing ,another month or so before we make our big move,its lot more work with a naughty toddler around.
Nutty fruity pulav...mmm..bet the guests enjoyed the super yum meal.
Giada ? I always felt she shud have been a model...she is too sexy for a food show.I used to watch Rachel,I hardly get time these days.

Adlak's tiny world said...

hoi enna verum comnt thana.. enge enakku pulao... lovely pic of lovely gal. seri seri seekiram pulao pack panni enakku anupu ma. i m really hungry now.

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

Welcome back Varsha, hope you had a great time vacationing ;) About the Pulav it looks amazing with all the nuts and fruits mmm should taste great and yummy!!!

Vrinda said...

Delicious pulav Varsha..i like only the fruit pulav,awesome shot and congrats on ur awards..adipoli veede,sweet dream home,enjoy...

Laavanya said...

My husband is a big fan of this pulav - looks pretty.

jayasri said...

hi, varsha, first the greenery is fabulous..., next i am all nuts over ur pulav, I luv pulav & nuts too.. :), isn't it a great combination.... to drool over it ?, lovely clicks too..., best wishes with your new home..., that is real great royal celebration dear

5 Star Foodie said...

Great to see you back! The pulav sounds delicious with fruits and nuts, my daughter would especially love this!

Varsha Vipins said...

Thanks you Thankyou dearies..:)I'll post more pics as time permits..
Soma,u transformed my meadows into mountains.?.gime the wand..:D
SJ,Sakshi..u two pls pls..:D.rofl..n Yasmeen I cant agree with u more..shes too good looking..:D

A_and_N said...

You should learn to ignore SJ and Sakshi. Please send this home, Varsha :D SJ knows my address ;)

Viki's Kitchen said...

Fruits n nuts pulav looks gracious. Love to have it with any spicy NV:)

Reeni♥ said...

I missed you!! I'm so happy your back and getting all settled into your new home. What a pretty view you have and to see the animals coming by. I like Giada!! And I like your rice, basmati is one of my favorites and this looks just delicious!

Elra said...

Love Pulav, anykind of Pulav actually. Yours look absolutely delicious and a must to try!

Prajusha said...

Varsha,
Beautiful pics.pulav looks delicious
prajusha
www.icookipost.com

ARUNA said...

awesome Varsha....pics r gorgeous, the way u held them was too cute!Giada is my favourite too, i love the way she explains things.....and hey congrats on ur awards!!!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A wonderful pilav! I love that kind of dish!

Congrats on the award!

Cheers,

Rosa

Nithya Praveen said...

Hmm what do i say?You and me seem to be playing hide and seek....I was back and you were gone...now i suppose we are back to our blogging world.I can totally understand how it is to shift things...must have been exhausting for you!This is a celebratiuon dish...looks wonderful.And yes am a big fan of Giada too...actually Ina Gartin is more special:)

Dhanya Nambirajan said...

Pulav looks so yummy and colorful. Also house and the surroundings looks very nice.:)

My Experiments with Cooking said...

bright and neat pics!first time here and fell in love :) I just started with food blogging,come have a look.

Priti said...

Nice post....pulav looks lovely.....welcome back dear

Rachel said...

Wow neat frontyard...

love the fluffed pulao...

Usha said...

Your new home sounds beautiful ! Loved the pulao with fruits and nuts...very inviting :-)

Uma said...

Wow, you moved into a beautiful home. Congrats :) All the pics look great Varsha! And Pulav is too tempting...! Good to see you back!

Poornima Nair said...

Good to have you back Varsha...your new place sounds beautiful n ur already hosting friends:)...
the rice looks delicious, fit for a royal feast.

Srivalli said...

wow thats a lovely bowl of rice!...

btw update the post with the missing notes..:)

Maria said...

great pics dear!! wishing you a great time at your new house :)

Subhie Arun said...

hi..there r something waiting u ad my blog..pls do accept..thx...ur pulao looks grt..

anudivya said...

My fav is Alton Brown. He is just simply superb!
Pulao looks great and nice lighting.

Mallugirl said...

congrats on ur new environs..looks so green....can i come over for the pulav.. i stuff my biryanis with raisins and nuts but DH hates them so he pulls all of them out and puts it in my plate.

Vij said...

oh wow varsha! such a lovely prelude. I enjoyed reading your post.

Even I am back after my ver ling break and it feels gr8 to be back.

Lovely post n lovely clicks!
Have fun setting up the home. Even I am still on dat mode. :-)

A2Z Vegetarian Cuisine said...

First time here, fruits n nuts pulav looks just awesome..will soon try this.

Varsha Vipins said...

Thanks everyone..:)

Urs....Jina said...

Cool Varsha..
I always wanted and still want to come to Seattle and you have added to the temptation
Nice work..And I am gonna try out your baking recipes coz Im still scared to venture out into that..:)
Thanx for the lovely blog

roopa said...

Hey didnt see this post, guess I missed it during my time away from blogging, Congrats Varsha ! Your view from Patio looks indeed very pretty :) Love the greenery. We moved to our place in early April. I hope ur all settled now :) Here we are building a wall in basement to convert it into TV room :)

Akal's Saappadu said...

that one looks delicious especially with all the items you listed tandoori and butter chicken, fish and naan, Mmmmm!!!

happy to see you again, and I was out of the blogging for some time too, trying to take a break but I couldn't keep off .... nice greens around, enjoy!!

 
Creative Commons License
Will-O'-the-Wisp is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
.