Friday, May 1, 2009

Ethakka Mezhukkupuratti/Kaya Poriyal ( Spicy Raw Banana fritter’s) n Off for a break..!!





 





Hi everyone..Hope you all are relaxed with a TGIF smile, planning for a fun weekend ahead.. :).. Its bright,sparkling n sunny here ..nature at its best I would say..:)

Today,am running all crazy as tomorrow early morning we have to catch our flight.Clumsy thing..me being that,is running around n thinking hard not to miss things n then go mad (n make him that too)in the last minute,which happens with me all the time.I still remember,how I used to forget stuffs at home,while going to college after weekend.My bus used to be at 7 in the morning n I would get up at 6 30..Now pls don ask me,how I do that.Its a knack n skill that I mastered in those 4 years.Poor dad will start car n wait down for me,while I’ll  run downstairs like mad,often going up again to collect the forgotten stuffs,falling n getting up in between,mom trying to force food into my mouth n me gulping it down with water n then wailing n yelling at her about the things I couldn’t  find then n on n on..n by the time I reach hostel,slumbering in bus,I would recollect at least 5 things I have left back at home,n then at hostel I would realize few other things I have missed,some of it including my important assignment papers, I have to submit on the day or so.Then hour cut,proxy,straight to library,busy copying assignment..haaa..What days..Now don't you think I have been a bad bad girl..:D

Things have become only slightly better now..:D..We both are more or less ,still stuck up in the bachelor/spinster mode n are happy the way we are..:D.But he is way more meticulous n careful regarding important things n all.He would at max forget to pick his watch or brush.That’s it.Not like me who can go to any extent.All those daring n risky stories in some other post.Or else God knows what you all gonna think of me now..:D

 









 

Haa..so quickly going on to my better halves' favorite food.He is pretty nostalgic about this veggie,n often picks it from Indian store.He loves this one n I used to hate it like anything.Back home,when mom used to make this,I would give her a glare n when she does that back n forces me,I would find some way to sneak the stuff to my bro’s plate luring him to the cartoon going on in the TV..He was a poor dumbo then.But later on,he took revenge for all that..different story..So after I started making this for him,I had no other chance than to start liking this,n yeah..I did..This is sort of a comfort food n I make it spicy n flavorful with all the tempering..Goes so well with simple rice n curd..Back home it is called Kaya Mezhukupuratti( which means plantains smeared with oil),simplest form.I’ve modified it for added taste.My hubby was in Chennai for 2 yrs,n hence he use this word poriyal for anything n everything..!

Hope all of you know,the nutritional values of Plantain’s,else search n see it.Its so full of goodness..!!









 

To prepare this yummy dish:

Skin n chop into small pieces,2 Medium sized plantain’s and wash them thoroughly with water to remove the stickiness.

Now in a flat pan,add  these pieces,sprinkle some turmeric powder,curry leaves n salt n add lil water.Close n cook till they are soft.

Now remove them n keep aside.

In the same pan,splutter 2 tsp Mustard seeds,1 tsp Chana Dal,1 tsp Urad dal,1 tsp Raw rice,1/4 tsp fenugreek ,4-5 broken red chillies,lots of curry leaves n a pinch of Asafetida.

When they are fried well,n fragrant add  a clove of Garlic ,minced n saute till raw smell goes.

Throw in a 1/2 cup sliced shallots n 4 slit green chillies.Sprinkle salt.

Saute till soft.

Now add the half cooked banana’s n mix.

Sprinkle 1-2 tsp Chilli powder n 1/2 tsp Pepper powder n mix well.

Taste n adjust salt.

Mix everything well n saute for few minutes under high heat.

Simmer ,close n cook for few more minutes.till the spices coat the banana’s.

Sprinkle oil ,curry leaves n pinch of sugar at last.

 

 









An easy,nutritious n yummy dish is ready..!!

 

loveblogaward

Thanks so so much to Priya,Akal,Vishali,Hemakka,Aparna,Sharmilee n Pratibha n all others who passed me the I love you blog award,on my side bar.I am so glad you did n I love your blogs as much too..:)

 

So,as I told you all,I am going on a vacation to LA tomorrow n so taking a small break from blogging..I’ll be reading your comments n wishes,but I wont be able to catch up with your posts it seems..I’ll be back with loads of things to tell you all..ok? n will visit you all after I sleep for 2 days straight after coming home..:D

So don’t forget me,n do visit n comment n I’ll miss u all too..Happy weekend n hugs .. :)

StumbleUpon

78 Luv'ly people shared their views..:

Sweta said...

I made plantain sabzi just yesterday-I love it and hubby doesn't!! I make it with pepper,green chillies and garlic.
I have one more plantain left in the fridge-I think I'll try your recipe with it!!
Happy Hols :)

Vishali said...

Plaintain/Raw Banana looks so nice and delicious Varsha.

Nice to know abt u too. All of us are like that so, dont worry :). Enjoy ur time each and everyday.

Also, congrats on the award!

So, have a nice flight and hope to see u soon in ur blog ;).

Superchef said...

great!! have a fun time in LA!! make a list of things you need to take with you, that way you wont forget. I would say loads of sunscreen, sunglasses, cute shorts and a couple of tops will do :D:D we are going to LA for the memorial day weekend..looking forward to it :)

Pooja said...

Happy weekend and have a great vacation! Waiting eagerly for more stories..hehe!
Kaya Mezhukkupuratti is looking delicious..have never had it before! Would love to try it out :)

Vrinda said...

Uh..Innu lunchinu ithayirunnu ivide..perfect side dish with boiled rice,enjoy ur vacation..

Asha said...

Ethakka what?! ;D

Looks delicious, I love Plantains too. Anything goes well with that veggie.

I guess I am like your better half. I have to fly too in about 8 days but I am already packed and ready to go and still thinking what did I forget! I am multitasker, always been like that! :P

Enjoy the flight, have a wonderful vacation. I will see you again in June. Check my next week's last post when you are back and when you have recovered, linking Tushar's guitar concert.

Hugs, have fun! :)

Indhu said...

yummy sabzi... and have a great vacation in LA :)

VineelaSiva said...

Nice curry varsha.
Congrats for the award.
U have a nice trip and happy weeknd dear.
Waiting for ur photos dear................

Sakshi said...

Wow your dishes are getting tastier and exotic by the week. The pics are great with that Banana sunbathing propped up on a stone pillow (guess am the one who has been hit by the LA bug).

U know where bad forgetful gals end up??? They get married and renamed wife for the rest of their life and has to like everything her hubby likes or else would have to cook 3 different dishes per family member...sigh!!

Hey it's ok if you forget some of the things on your way to LA but be cautious and very very careful to not forget to take ur Kutts along ok?? ;) Ok kill me for that later!!!

Ha seriously you forgot all those stuff way back to college??? When we go out M says that I carry half the house with me..lolz. Open our car and you can even find an inflatable bed in there...hee

Hey enjoy the trip and the sun and tell my hi to Tom Hanks will ya?? Waiting for all those pics...hugggggssssssss

Pooja said...

Delicious Poriyal..Have a great time varsha..

Gita's Kitchen said...

Nice poriyal Varsha, simple and easy to make...love it! Have fun in LA :)

Divya Vikram said...

Great post. made me nostalgic. i too forgot things when i left to hostel and dad used to courier them to me! Ha ha! Dish looks lovely!Your pics are getting prettier day by day! Weather her in LA is great now! Hope u have a great time.

Helene said...

I never had plantain. Looks so good. Have a good trip. Congrats for the award.

Ushanandini said...

I love vazhakkai poriyal! They're lovely! Congrats on your award! Have a nice trip to LA! ^_^

ARUNA said...

hey it looks nice and impressive clicks too! Have a nice flight and lots of fun!!!

Sujatha said...

Delicious! Enjoy your break!

Priya said...

I love anything with rawa banana, poriyal looks yum..have a superb journey Varsha!

Malar Gandhi said...

My brother is like u getting up late and all the hiccups and stuff. Kool na...those days. love this subzi too!:) Have a safe trip and enjoy ur vacation.

bee said...

beautiful. sorry, varsha, i didn't see your emails on time. when i did, you'd already sent in your entry.

Varsha Vipins said...

Thanks everyone..:)
Ashakka..Thats something only a Mallu tongue can produce..God's special gift u knw..:D
Sachuzz..Ha..so you are number 1 wife huh..me will take a meek 2nd place..:D..will say ur Hi after I shook myself off from the hallucination..:D
Bee..no worries..:)

Mangala Bhat said...

wow1 nice recipe ....my husband does the same like he picks this everytime we go to ..indian store ...Thanks soo much that now i can say ..if u want i can make something for u .;) Thanks sooo much :)

Cham said...

Ur pict is awesome. Hope u gonna get plenty of sunshine :)
Gal u forgot almost evrything at home eh? I am the one to pack almost everything even for a small one day trip even before one week!

Lavanya said...

nice story..:)
Even i used to forget all impt things except some junk,unimpt things :)
I made palnatain fry 2 days back..my next post might be that only....we are also going to vegas after 2 weeks..Have fun in LA..enjoy your vacation varsha!!

Poornima Nair said...

Hey, roles are kinda reversed out here, Manoj is more like you , I have a checklist for everything and have everything organised long before my trip. Usually me n Manoj have a big fight before a trip, It bugs me like hell to see him running around in the last moment:)

Neways enjoy your trip, have a blast. See you when you get back.

Btw, I love this dish, I used to glare at mom when she made kaya thoran, but this I could have any time...great pic.

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

yummy dish. i love raw banana. i also used to rush to the bus stand to catch my college bus. my dad used to drop me at the bus stand which is like less than 5 minutes walk. :) and i like the way you have put copyright on your spatula.. haha

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

I love plantain and this is a perfect side for curd rice... Have fun and safe journey, Ofcourse all of us need some break... Hope you dint miss anything ;)

Pavithra Kodical said...

I will be packing until last minute :)Enjoy your vacation.

I love raw banana curry, goes well with dal and rice.

Sathya Sankar said...

Love the plaintain poriyal varsha...
Hope you take everything you need for the trip. Have a great trip !

Prathibha said...

Lovely poriyal varsha.....Have fun and enjoy ur trip..

Shama Nagarajan said...

a good one dear..have a safe trip..enjoy...take care

Nags said...

have a good break :) meanwhile, i will try this with the two kaya i bought yesterday :)

Sanghi said...

Mmm delicious plaintain poriyal..! Have a great holiday...!!:)

Sharmilee! :) said...

Have a enjoyable trip! Waiting to hear ur stories back home :)

Priya Sriram said...

Just yday I prepared plaintain fry too.. Great pictures Varsha! Have a wonderful vacation! :)

luckysanjana said...

Hi Varsha...........have a nice holiday and guess what i have bananas rawa ones in my refrigerator so i thinkill give itas hot....................you have a good time...........

Priti said...

Poriyal looks gud...enjoy your holiday babe

Sharmila said...

I love raw banana just plain fried ... your way of tempering them seems interesting. :-)
Have a great time!

Ria Mathew said...

Oooooooooooo!! My fav!! I can just eat this alone without rice to go with it! Have a lovely trip!!!

Kitchen Flavours said...

Have a happy and safe trip.....Enjoy! Sabzi looks yum and colorful...

Dibs said...

Hmmm coming to think of it, I havent seen raw bananas at all in the market here!! Will peel my eyes next time! Love raw banana dishes. This poriyal looks so delicious! Have a great trip.

Renuka said...

wow..looks delicious..its my fav...have a great vaccation..

VIDYA VENKY said...

poriyal is yummy..

Ann said...

Lol Varsha..Enjoy your trip ..
Btw,this kaya mezhukkupuratty makes me crazy..craves for some !!

Srivalli said...

anytime favorite poriyal..though I make it differently!..enjoy your weekend!

Madhumathi said...

Lovely plantain sabzi..As usual ,you have presented it b'fully.
Have a nice time,Varsha...Will miss you till then..take care..Hugs to you!

sangeeta said...

nice subzi n a nicer picture.....i cook them with skin on........

Vani said...

lol! Enjoy your trip, VV! Poriyal looks great. Liked the crumpled paper background too

Soma said...

I think it is in Kerala & Bengal & that a lot of raw banana is used in cooking.. I might be wrong.. but very different way to cook. This is new & it looks delicious.. love the paper too:D

we boil the raw banana soft, them mash it up with lot of spices & mustard oil:o).. like a guacamole?.. one kinda prep..

have a great vacation. I envy u:-))

Chitra said...

as usual yummy dish with nice pics:)

Vibaas said...

V, hope u r having a gr8 time in LA now..I end up forgetting lot of things while packing too.

Curry looks yum. I will try your version soon.

Arch said...

Lovely pics Varsha...enjoy your break dear...

Deepa Hari said...

Poriyal looks great Varsha...Have a great time in LA and congrats on the awards dear.

Sig said...

Have fun in LA Varsha, come back with lots of pics. Don't worry about forgetting anything, it's just one more excuse to go shopping.

mathew said...

I just feel like having one decent naadan vegeterian meal ..okk with fish fry..;-D
after reading this...

Laavanya said...

The poriyal looks yummy varsha.. enjoy your break and your vacation.

A_and_N said...

Oi, have fun in LA ok? :) Its a great place for a hectic vacation.

And what a rustic pic :)

Pavithra said...

looking so good varsha and photos are looking so good with crushed paper background... Nice clicks and offcourse dish is looking great and i love plaintain always...

Pavithra said...

hi varsha.. I am in LA ur welcome to my home dear..

Ana Powell said...

Hi Varsha
Congratulation on your award. Well deserved for your great work.
As always beautiful recipe x

Yasmeen said...

wonderful colors.I rarely make raw bananas,but now I feel like buying one during my next visit to Indian store.Have a gala time in LA:)

Vandana Rajesh said...

Kaya mezhukkupuratti ....yet another wonderful Kerala special. Have a gr8 holiday...me too having a wonderful vacation here in Kerala:)

Shreya said...

I love plantain subji, and it features on the lunch menu atleast once a week. Love your pics:-)Happy Holidays..

Tina said...

hai dear..sweet foto nd dish....

Dhanya Nambirajan said...

Kaya is also my favourites. Mezhukkupuratti looks yummy and nice click:).

AnuSriram said...

Looks delicious... Enjoy your Vacation!

SJ said...

J is just like you- he cannot remember anything, everything is done at the last min! And I am the opposite!

Have a wonderful vacation!!

munchcrunchandsuch said...

Hey
gud to c someone from where I live.And coming to the blog post, vazhaikkai is a regular at my home..i love it to bits.esp the fried one more than the mezhukkuperatti

Smitha said...

Enjoy ur hols. Have fun. Nice and simple post.

Ammu said...

Looks yummy & delicious. U r very creative girl. Great.

Nazish Rahman said...

Would definitely try this recipe...and i liked the way u posted your article...it was like watching a food show on television where along with how to make the stuff one shares his or her light moments!!! I really liked...good work!!

Cheers...take care!!!

hope your next post is going to b on chocolate cakes!!!

veena said...

hey varsha ..i am here after a long gap .
me too posted ethakka mezhukku ...urs looks very spicy and delicious ...da keep in touch
love
veena

n33ma said...

Lovey Click Varsha......dish looks yummy as usual!

Mangala Bhat said...

hey cutie pie sorry for the late reply ...how to make carrot flower ? right ?..hey actualy nothing specialin this u know !!!peel the carrot then cut it and give a nice shape like petal Then arrange like flower .... thats it ! Thanks da for the wonderful comment ..sorry again ...for the late reply :(((

Lena Rashmin Raj said...

i tried this dish yesterday..it came out nicely..thank u 4 sharing..:)

Lena Rashmin Raj said...

wowww...snap s just perfect..wl try the dish today..thank u 4 sharing..

Vicky Xavier. said...

Nice write up. Brings me some smile and memories:) Banana fry looks delicious.

Suparna said...

Hi Varsha,
banana fritter look spicy and yummm.. snaps are very tempting :)
Congrats on the award, nice profile pic :) have a great holiday! have fun!
TC

Varsha Vipins said...

Thanks a ton for all your wishes pals..:)

 
Creative Commons License
Will-O'-the-Wisp is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
.