Monday, April 27, 2009

PAVAKKA PULINKARI / PAVAKKA THEEYAL (Bitter gourd in a roasted coconut tangy gravy) & some Tulips…!!



Hii everyone..I am back with a late Monday post..Haa..feel like I’ve been away for ages.May be because it was a crazy busy n hectic weekend.I did’nt open my reader or anything else till today morning,n that’s why you don't see me at your page.Hope to catch up with ur yum yum’s as soon as I can.Saturday ,we were running for apartments n covered almost every nook n corner of this place..:D..n Sunday,the big day,we couldn’t but go for the Big Tulip festival at Skagit valley here.That was totally crazy ,you won’t believe if I say,we were in car,stuck up in traffic for 4 hrs after which we finally reached the pretty place.People were flowing from all parts of the world,it seemed,n the jam was so disgusting that we were moving inch by inch .But one view of the breath taking beauty n our scowls faded..!! We spent a good 3 hrs there n drove back ,which again took 3 hrs.So in short,by the time we reached home,we were dead tired.I was better off than my poor Kutts,who did all the driving.He was complaining that I should get license soon ,but adding all the time that he wont let me drive on high way’s though.But no regrets,as we enjoyed so much n had such a wonderful time there..!.

It was exhilarating.!! even after taking almost 200 snaps,I was not satisfied.You can never get bored of the sight.n each view leaves you yearning for more ..Bright n gorgeous Tulips(there were daffodils n lilies as well,in other fields) ,fully blossomed,so many colors,shining brightly n swaying happily in light breeze..The only sight you can see all around,till the farthest point of your sight.Even our heart swell with an unknown joy and bliss.We spent our time in Tulip town,where you can see the most beautiful Tulips.There you can see the windmill system which was developed long back by the owner,n with which the field is watered.I got some great shots of the windmill water wheel and the dark green water n the whole tulip field etc..







So without much ado,lemme move to today’s post.A simple yet so yummy Pavakka Pulinkari aka Bitter gourd fried n cooked in a tangy Tamarind gravy.Most of you might be familiar with this n I wasn't planning to post this also.But after tasting this dish,n kutts literally licking the last bits(He’s a big Bittergourd lover) ,I thought I should share it with you all..Ok..I hear you..Many of you cringing your nose n muttering ..”I hate BG”..Even I am not a big fan.Still I loved this so much.So that is the point.Even people who stay away from this veggie for all those reasons,will love this dish.I swear!!..This has no typical BG bitterness or blandness.This veggie which so full of nutrition's n iron is at its best taste in this dish.I dunno the apt name though..Some call it Pulinkari,some call it puli theeyal,some Gojju n so n so..This is not a real theeyal,I’d say,’cos…In theeyals,the roasted coconut gravy will be prominent ,than the veggie/fish.But here the prominence is for tamarind extract,n I have added only lil coconut for this.Sooo..call it as you wish..n it tastes real good..!! try it some day n combo it with some curd n pickle for hot rice..Aahh..heaven..!!!









Method

Heat Oil in a deep-bottomed pan n throw in the curry leaves n saute till fragrant.

(To reduce the bitterness of BG,you can marinate the slices with salt n keep aside for an hour n then wash it.But then a part of nutrition n goodness will also get washed away.)

Saute 1 cup of Bitter gourd slices n 1/2 cup sliced shallots in that oil,till fried(I just fry it till golden brown n most of the rawness is gone.The more you fry the more tasty it’ll be,but it wont be really healthy)

When the pieces are fried,pour in almost 1/2 cup tamarind extract from a about a marble sized tamarind.Pour some water as well,to immerse the slices.This solution is the key to taste.It should be really tangy.I use fresh tamarind n extract it myself.

Bring it to a boil,then simmer n let it dry a bit.

Meanwhile,heat oil in a pan n add some curry leaves,fry 1 tsp Chana dal,1 tsp Urad dal,3 Tbsp(almost 1/2 cup) coconut flakes.

Add 1.5 tsp Chilli powder,1.5 tsp Coriander powder,1/2 tsp fenugreek powder,1 tsp Pepper Powder and fry well.(In another way,you can add the coriander seeds,fenugreek seeds,pepper seeds,n red chillies with coconut n then grind them)

Grind this to a fine powder.n then dilute with few drops of water to a thick paste.Don’t add water while grinding as it’ll dilute the taste.

Throw in this paste to the simmering tangy gravy n stir to mix.Add a pinch of Asafetida as well,n heat through.Don't boil for long.

Now,do the tempering(splutter mustard seeds,broken red chillies n lotsa curry leaves) n pour over the thick gravy.Close n rest till use..!!









Have a great week ahead..!!

Hugs,

StumbleUpon

66 Luv'ly people shared their views..:

Divya Vikram said...

Varsha! Cute photos! Wish I had a chance to see those pretty tulips! Breathtaking! I was wondering this morning why you had not posted! And here u are with your yummy recipe. Looks tangy n delicious even though am not a big fan of BG..

Divya Vikram said...

Varsha! Cute photos! Wish I had a chance to see those pretty tulips! Breathtaking! I was wondering this morning why you had not posted! And here u are with your yummy recipe. Looks tangy n delicious even though am not a big fan of BG..

Yasmeen said...

I can imagine why people flock to see this amazing beauty.The snap in the flowers looks gorgeous,Varsha.The bitter beerakaya(as it called in telugu) certainly reminds me of the authentic S.Indian delicacies,totally droolworthy:)

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

Oh yeah I was wondering what was with you... Saw the pics in orkut I did understand... Bittergourd curry looks wickedly delicious... Tangy tangy taste mmm lip smacking...

Reeni♥ said...

What pretty pictures!!! The endless fields of tulips. Such a joy! You are so beautiful too! Thanks for sharing them.

I have never eaten bitter gourd. I am learning about so many new foods from you! I bet this is delicious. You take such great food pictures!

VineelaSiva said...

Wow the tulips looks beautiful.Ireally miss the tulips bcos i visited netherlands twice but i saw only windmills and we came.I have a dream to see the tulip garden.I love BG curry very much.Nice post and photos.

Ann said...

Varsha,amzing pictures...the festival proves worth to visit even after those 4 hrs traffic trouble !!
The pulinkary looks spicy too !!

Gita's Kitchen said...

Awesome pictures Varsha, they look so fascinating...we too have a tulip festival coming nearby in our county...wouldnt miss it :) Nice gravy, sounds like our kuzumbu.. looks yummy dear.

Smitha said...

Great snaps Varsha.I veisited netherlands and had a similar experience.Didn't want to come back.
The curry looks very spicy and just the thot of puli is making my tongue tingle.

Sanghi said...

Cute photos varsha, u look great among the tulips..! Excellent pavakkai curry too, good for stomach and gets rid of any stomach infections..!:)

Soma said...

Pretty as a tulip & that is U:-) i am heading over to your flickr after writing ... I have never cooked bitter gourd in a gravy , but looks really rich to be savored with a bowl of rice.

I wish i was u, for I HATE driving, & i have to be taxing around ALL day long with my kids:-(

Vibaas said...

i left u a scrap in orkut and i'm saying again. love all the pics. u look gr8. this recipe is new and sounds yummy!

Superchef said...

great pics, varsha!! :)
pulinkari looks delicious..amma makes pulinkari sort of closer to theeyal style..but this one also looks great!! so did u guys finally manage to get an apartment??

Poornima Nair said...

OMG..the tulips look so beautiful. I so wish I was there...great pics..
the pulinkari sounds yumm...I can almost taste it, love the color.

vidhas said...

Varsha, cute photos. You have taken me to visit tuilp garden by your awesome photos. Checked your Flicker album too, cute pair. BG gravy looks tangy yum!! Awesome click.

Le @HC said...

Varsha, love the pics ... Thanks for sharing with us ur pics. Tulips and you look great together, dear.. the gravy is tempting me.. Im a BG lover.. bookmarking this..

Prathibha said...

Wow gal lovely photos n u look cute too!!
I saw Tulips but never got to see a Tulip garden...

Shama Nagarajan said...

Lovely clicks of tulips....yummy different curry...should give a try

Lavanya said...

nice clicks varsha..even we went there on sunday..tulips were fully blossmed n gorgous naa..really i want to go there once again..coming to curry,its so rich..how did you get that so creamy :)
very good recipe!

Suparna said...

Hi Varsha,
wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow! tha's breath takingly stunning :) can imagine the traffic jam irritation...hmmm but as u said the site of these tall standing beauties washes off all the disgust :) U look DAMN COOL! ;0
both of u make a pretty picture.
thanks for sharing the lovely sight with us :)
Love bittergourd! and could any one resist tangy gravies hmmm...and nice snaps to match the recipe girlie.
Enjoy!

Indhu said...

hey... I went to the tulip festival on saturday - and yeah... we too got stuck in traffic... and it was doubly worse since I was driving :(
the tulips were beautiful.. na?
lovely picture...
and love this dish... I am slightly scared of bittergourd... but this gravy should help a lot :)

Sushma said...

awesome, awesome tulips, wish I could see it once in my life time :)
bitter gourd gravy looks fabulous dear..

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

nice pics varsha. we also have a similar one in san diego. its called flower fields. bittergourd gravy is new to me. looks good.

Swapna said...

Awesome pictures Varsha!!!

Ria Mathew said...

I love this combo!!! Edo i dunno whether I was a spelling teacher in my last birth.. but.. its punilkari alla... its pulinkary! :D Heading-le spelling :)

The pics are breathtaking gurl!! And you look very smart in that skirt of yours! :)

Priya said...

Wow gorgeous clicks Varsha, tulips looks beautiful, bittergourd curry looks delicious..

sangeeta said...

wow..tulips tulips till the horizon.........reminds me of amitabh n rekha.........
bitterguard looks yum......we make khatte karele in curds or raw mangoes...

Akal's Saappadu said...

didn't have the time to check orkut yet, the tulips are magnificent, you're perfectly mingled among the flowers :)lovely photos!

the tamarind tend to reduce the bitterness too, delicious curry!

notyet100 said...

this is new for me,..looks really yuumy...lovely pics,..look so fresh...

luckysanjana said...

wonderful photos Varsha........i wonder if tulips would survive in India????? they look so pretty ..........and that tamarind gravy is so tempting.............im not a great fan of BG but love it cooked with ground nut maybe when P is away some time ill cook it and post the pictures................but ill store this just in case i wnt to try something diff.............i can actually taste the twang of imli..............

Asha said...

4 hrs of traffic jam! Yikes! But looks like it's all worth it. You look gorgeous and so does Tulips. Lucky you to visit.

Same here. Even with full license, I never drove on the highway so far or 100 miles at a stretch, scared that I will go to sleep! :D

Asha said...

Oh, Pulinkari looks absolutely gorgeous, love the color, must be tangy and spicy! Slurp!:)

Malar Gandhi said...

Pies look cute. Love pavakka so much...but its hard to find it here!:( Pulinkari is the best way to reduce the bitterness, I suppose. A must try one...

Greener Bangalore said...

oh my goodness....this is a yummy yummy blog...and great snaps too..

Vishali said...

Hey Varsha, u look so good with the Tulips. U also looked so cute in the earlier profile snap.

And, the tangy curry with bittergourds...mmhh delish!

Renuka said...

Lovely snaps...we dont have tulips garden here in the east :(.. I am not a big fan of butter gourd..but this reminds me of theeyal, a dish we make with small onions..

Ashwini said...

Gorgeous Photos Varsha. We had been to tulip show in Portland. Just the sight of it is breadth taking right.Love to see every year..but we don't have tulip show here:-(. Gojju looks yumm and tangy. Love bittergourd. yummm

Sakshi said...

Reading your post two things came to my mind from apna Shakespeare

1. What's in a name???....Who cares what the dish is called as long as it is tangy and as handsome looking as it is in ur pic. (Ok I have this habit of comparing food to men...don't ask why...it's just pleasing for me)

2. A rose by any other name would smell as sweet....u among the tulips look as gorgeous as them my Tulip Rani..

God am getting into a comment block I think...can't think of anything else...totally one of those nutty days

Happy cook said...

Looks like youhad lots of fun, pictures look beautiful and lov elov ethat delicous curry.

Pooja said...

Wow awesome place! Can see from the shots that it was worth the drive after all :)
The curry looks very delicious..I'm not a BG fan either but my hubby is. Would love to try this out :)

myspicykitchen said...

beautiful tulips... I love bittergourd... and i like the tangy gravy too... we call it pulusu in telugu.... a gravy made with tamarid juice...

Mangala Bhat said...

wow! gorgeous pics ...love the recipe ....thanks soo much

Sujatha said...

aah, I miss these tulips! spent quite a few years in Seattle and would love to visit these tulips every year.. Ever since I moved out from Seattle, I'm missing these beautiful tulips..

Pavakkai curry looks very tempting!

5 Star Foodie said...

Gorgeous tulips and the dish looks excellent!

Vani said...

Such pretty tulips! And you look great too, Varsha! Get your license soon, girl! I got my license within 2 months (i failed the test the first time :) otherwise would've been within a month!) Gives you freedom to move around. Not sure where you are but if you are in a city or a place with good public tgransport, then you may be just fine without it.

Curry looks great!

Sharmilee! :) said...

Lovely tulips pics.....They are really breathtaking views! This gravy looks nice tangy!

Madhumathi said...

Lovely pictures ,Varsha..Those tulips are sooo pretty..Lucky you!Wish I could be there someday..
you look gorgeous,gurl!
The Pavakka pulinkari looks mouthwatering.

Deepa Hari said...

Awesome clicks Varsha...love the tulips.....u look very pretty dear....Pavakka pulinkari looks delicious.

ARUNA said...

awesome pics and yummy dish!!!

Vicky Xavier. said...

Oh girl, u look gorgeous among those flowers. Nice photos. I m sure its drive worthy to see such a spread of tulips together.
Pavakkai pulikari makes me drooling.

Cham said...

Wow, I am late to comment this beaut pict, I wish i was with u my dear! They are aweeeeesooomme ur tulip pict, love gardening a lot! Lucky gal! Like the tangy bittergourd curry also!

AnuSriram said...

Nice photos! Hope u had fun! Pavakka pulinkari looks delicious!

Pavithra said...

Looking so delish with tangy tamarind sauce..Photos are so cute.

Ushanandini said...

Tremendous photos, Varsha! It's so wonderful to see those tulips! Pavakka gravy looks gorgeous and tangy! :9

Priya Sriram said...

Pavakka curry looks wonderfully yummy Varsha!
And I loved all the tulip pictures... thank you so much for sharing them! :)

Ammu said...

Pavakka curry looks delicous. Nice click. Tulip garden looks amazing.

A_and_N said...

My cousin is in Seattle and she spoke about this. Is this near Seattle, Varsha?

And hey, is this theeyal? I love pawakkai and tamarind. So may make this in the second week of May. Will tell you how it goes :)

SJ said...

I do not like pavakai at all..beh! So I skipped the recipe, read your post and went to flikr and saw all the pictures :D

Shreya said...

Hi Varsha, I love pavakka pulinkari!It is one of my favs.Yours looking so amazing, the colour is perfect. And you look grt too:-)

Little Poetess said...

Hi Varsha chechi
Really nice photos!
nd is that you in your profile photo?

Valarmathi said...

Looks very tempting. Nice clicks.Saw the pictures in orkut, Beautiful

Laavanya said...

Tulips look awesome.

I love bittergourd and pulinkari but have never had BG pulinkari - can't wait to try - looks delish.

DEESHA said...

nice pics .. the tulips are gorgeous & so are yu .. yummy bittergourd gravy

jayasri said...

hi, varsha breathtaking photos...very enchanting...u r a very pretty girl...I am a big fan of BG even my hubby I make this but with seeds !! as u had mentioned...actually I haven't had any breakfast still, ur photos are so mouthwatering I think I have a stock of BG's going to make it today !!!...I do not have an orkut account or I could seen some more of the pictures...As I always loved tulips from a Tamil film where vikram plays the leading role...I do not remember the name of the film, in that they show acres acres of tulip grown...u must have had an amazing time...

Varsha Vipins said...

Thankyou Thankyou all..so very much..:)..Bright sunny boy helped to make those pics gorgeous..Glad you all liked the pics n the dish..:)
Jaya,thats Anniyan..:)..even I had that in mind when I saw the garden..:)..Thanks..:)

Peter said...

That looks so tasty, so spicy, and so pretty! Yum!

 
Creative Commons License
Will-O'-the-Wisp is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
.