Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Pappa al Pomodoro - Tuscan Tomato Bread Soup..!!!



Pappa al Pomodoro - Tuscan Tomato Bread Soup..!!! 

 Hi everyone..How are you all doing? I just had my lunch,n usually this is my lazing time of the day..No cooking for sometime n relaxing in my couch,after the meal ,with a book or laptop, blog-hopping.Thanks for your always-lovely comments n tit-bit news’ that you share with me..:)..Guess some of you  had problem with that font,I’ll change that after this post.Hope this ok..Just to give a fresh look to my page.I am bored with the same view,every time I open the page,n more than that these gives me a feel of my old bed pal’s,Enid Blyton’s books..!! .haa..:dream: :dream:…

Busy days have not come to an end n we are still running in full speed.People always asks me ,especially relatives n friends in India,as to how I pass time here n don’t I feel bored n all.But these days I hardly find time for anything.Blogging itself can keep me busy all the day,as my reader is always overflowing.But I am trying to slow down there,else I’ll run bonkers.Then books,T V,house hold activities , cooking plus all these current stuffs like planning for vacation,apartment …haa..I want more time..!!..I haven't yet finished the book I started reading almost a month back.I cant believe it , because I am the same person who never used to part with a book once I start reading it,till I reach its end.I would take it with me everywhere,even to loo (:D),but I wont get peace until I flip the last page with a satisfying sigh.I used to read like crazy,n guess now priorities has been set in my life,also lil responsibilities as well,as it happens with all of us at one point in life.Now now..Honestly am not going to that philosophical route or something k..lol...We used to see at least 4 movies a week before.Now it’s considerably reduced,n after a long time we saw this movie Inside Man yesterday n was intending to finish it however late it might get n gosh,I almost slumbered into bed at 1 30 night.Its an awesome movie,Denzel Washington one.Perfect Bank robbery.Even though not my type,I surprisingly found it so interesting n was intently watching it till the last minute.Great flick!

I am munching my most favorite chocolate in the world,Cadbury’s Nuts n Raisins now,n damn it,It is SO addictive..!!!.I took with me to the couch ,a carefully broken 1/4 piece of the bar,hoping that my laziness would overpower my urge to go n  get some more from it.Guess I was wrong.Lemme test my will..:D

Seattle is bit dull n rainy today,but I am liking it this cold after a few days of almost good summer-kinda warmth here.Today,this is a pretty place,with all the lush greens n drenched spring flowers..:)

Pappa al Pomodoro - Tuscan Tomato Bread Soup..!!!

 

Ok…So this soup is yum, gorgeous , leaving you want for more..!! Remember my Bright greeny Broccoli Soup??This one I liked better..!!:)

Pappa al pomodoro is a rich tomato based Tuscan country soup thickened with bread.Its a very tasty n much-in-demand soups in the Tuscan areas,where during Tomato seasons ,breads are purposefully left to stale n then this thick flavorful soup is made,which resembles bread pudding.Thick n chunky.Color varies from medium orange to dark fiery red depending upon the tomatoes you use.Anyhow,its damn tasty.I remember seeing a similar gorgeous soup in Soma’s page sometime back,n afterwards when I saw a video about Tuscan soup,I thought its time to give it a try.:)

The recipe has a basic form n then the additions that were made in time.The simplest one asks for just a few tomatoes,stale bread,garlic n Olive oil.Mebe some cheese n pepper flakes to top..Later on, chefs played with the recipe  n started adding dry wine’s ,nuts n fragrantly rich herbs n all.This recipe is one of those…:)..I have made so many adjustments as per my taste.Roux is not usually added for Tuscan soup,but u know I just love it,so added a lil of it as well.

I used my Rosemary-Cheddar bread for this,n the herb-flavored bread added to the taste of this soup.This one is definitely in my all-time favorite list.Fragrant,yum n healthy with all those lycopene’s n then nuts also.Very filling n my soup-lover (n critic) Kutts loved it better than all the soups he had ever tried in restaurant’s..Now that’s my quality certificate..;) !

Pappa al Pomodoro - Tuscan Tomato Bread Soup..!!! 

Tomato(I used large,Tomatoes on Vine) 2 Nos:
Bread slices(Stale ones are what they use.You can slightly dry it in oven also) 3 cups
Garlic minced 1-.5 Tbsp(upto 2)
Leeks/Sliced Shallots 1/2 cup
Pepper powder 1 tsp
Red pepper flakes 1 tsp
Lightly toasted n  Coarsely Ground Pine nuts(I used Almonds) 1/2-3/4 cup
Red wine(Chianti or any dry type)..I used water though 1.5 cups
Parmesan/Cheddar/Pepper jack cheese  
Olive oil  
Cilantro/parsley/Basil n Italian seasoning  

Heat generous amount of olive oil in a soup pot n saute garlic ,under low heat for a lil long time than usual ,till  it turn  light brown.The trick is to infuse the whole of oil n pot with the flavor.

Add chopped tomato’s n leeks/shallots n saute till soft.(Usually not for Tuscan soups,still I added a few red bell pepper slices as well.Tasted good)

Sprinkle pepper powder n pepper flakes,salt n keep on sautéing n mashing the tomatoes.

Usually they pour a cup of Red wine at this stage.I poured in a cup of water.

Bring it to a boil.Simmer till everything turns soft.

Cool it n blend smooth.

Bring it back to pot,throw in the coarsely ground nuts,add lil water n simmer again for a while.

Not necessary,but still,I added almost 1/2 cup of roux at this point( flour fried in butter n stirred in with milk to form a thick paste like mixture)

Throw in the bread slices and mix n stir well.

Cover n simmer for a short while to let the bread pieces soak n fall apart.

Taste n add salt,more pepper and pepper flakes if you wish to.

Throw in a handful of the fresh herbs.if using dried ones,just a sprinkle will do.I used fresh Thyme,Rosemary n sage n sprinkled a bit of Italian seasoning over.

When serving,top with a drizzle of olive oil,fresh crack of pepper n sharp Parmesan or any cheese of your choice.

Pappa al Pomodoro - Tuscan Tomato Bread Soup..!!! 

Trust me,It tastes as good as it looks..err..May be more..!!

So you all take care ,have fun,leme go grab my chocolate bar ..(sobs..;) )..!!

Hugs,

:)

StumbleUpon

62 Luv'ly people shared their views..:

Pooja said...

Wow the soup look yummy Varsha :) and great pics as usual. Makes me want to have it now right from the pic :)

Usha said...

The soup looks delightful and definitely goes into my must try recipes folder....I used to be like that too before, would never let an interesting book go until I read upto the last page...sigh !

A_and_N said...

Love the font, and I've been wanting to make this too!

Gita's Kitchen said...

I too love reading Enid Blyton books, I am crazy about them but these days with my studies and blogging..there's hardly anytime at all for reading :( Love your soup Varsha, looks chunky and delicious :)

Sakshi said...

I tried another version of this soup and yup its delicious what with all those chunky bites in every spoon. Your pics are getting awesome day by day...any tips for me for taking food photography???

I had a hard time concentrating on reading your post after you uttered about munching that cadbury...boo...hoo..I don't have any left and was cribbing about it to my hubby. He got really fed up and took me to the nearest store and I marched back with a handful...oops bagful of them...At the moment at war with Saman for them..

It's raining here too but enjoying it. Went out and took a couple of rain drenched shots.Along with ur kutts am also vouching for your quality certificate..I made your lasooni palak dal today and it rocked...we had it with roti and almost drank it like a soup...was very very yummy and M says thanks to you..coz I couldn't resist telling him its Varsha's recipe. U know at least he should be happy thinking that we are chatting about making food ;) ;). Enjoy your vacation planning and hugggssssssss

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

nice reading your post. i usually don't read long stories.. but i always read yours.. coz i find it interesting :)

i love cadburrys too.. can't resist. but the ones u get in the US are too sweet and not as great as indian ones.

reading books is a nice habit. good.

and before i forget, tomato bread soup looks great and awesome... perfect for seattle weahter.haha

Divya Vikram said...

That soup looks vibrant n comforting gal! You seem to make soup often. Am trying to make soups atleast once in 2 weeks. Great post!

Superchef said...

i love this soup...you realy should try to make it with the wine next time..:) the pics looks absolutely lovely and im sure the soup tasted as good as it seems in the pics..

called you just like that to check in :) will call tmrw :)

btw, it will be nice if you can mention your recipe source here, just so that we know where you got it from and if we visit the same site, we may find something else interesting as well. Just a thought and its always good to mention the source :)

Varsha Vipins said...

Thanks Pooja,Usha,A n N n Gita..:)
Sachuzz..Thanks so much for that..Kothichi..:D..
Thanks a lot Mahi n Divya..:)
Manju,Thanks..As about my recipes,I usually mention source in every post,All the rest are my trials only.:)...About this one,I dint mention in particular because I made a medly from so many bits of info,I got from googling..

5 Star Foodie said...

Love it - excellent!

Vibaas said...

soup looks tooooo good :) now, dont u remind me of cadburys :( my will power is all going down the drain these days :D

Cham said...

Other than any techni books I don't have time to read now. That was once upon a time, I ve been like u taking a novel everywhere I go.
After having a kid, I read lots of fairy tales, just only from 2 years he reads for me!
The soup is chunky and very attractive, love ur profile pict!

Soma said...

Love this soup. I had not added wine to mine, but i am a bit curious to see if it changes anything! Lovely pics.

Yes people in india think we get bored here, first thing they need to realize is if we cook, we clean.. & the rest will take a few more centuries... well there is no time to get bored here. i never get bored.

Sujatha said...

Looks gorgeous! Mixing bread slices inside a soup sounds so different.. I'm sure it should have tasted delicious.. :) good one varsha!

Sharmilee! :) said...

Hey thats nice...All the best for ur apt hunt! I wonder how people read those big books till the end....for me I can just use it as a pillow :D So its always comics!! The tomato bread soup looks nice colorful Varsha!

Priti said...

Hey Gal...yup this font is much better :)....bread soup is nice one.bookmarked the recipe :)

LG said...

Gorgeous looking soup. I loved the color and cheese topping :)

Sanghi said...

Wow, colourful excellent click and yummy varsha..!:)

Prathibha said...

Nice reading your post...Its very much true one can easily spend time in blogging, after i started blogging i have stopped watching tv..

Soup looks yummy too...perfect for seattle weather..

Lavanya said...

good that you are busy with all the works..even in india everyone asked me the same question..but answer to them is same here too..even i watched the movie Inside men twice..its a good n intelligent robbery movie..we love denzell washington movies almost all..coming to bread soup..fabulous dear..i have to try many from your blog :)

Indhu said...

awesome soup... perfect for the weather here :)
and your pictures are awesome... love the background detail!

Poornima Nair said...

Hey...that soup is awesome, I love these kinda soups that the thin runny ones...
I love to read too n still cannot abandon the book till its finished, so I just dont start until I'm sure I have the time to finish it...

Shama Nagarajan said...

looks awesome dear...i am too a craziest fan of Enid Blyton...recently i got 3 books.......

Priya said...

Thats a lovely chunky tomato soup Varsha..I love cadburys too..brings loads of old memories..

RAKS KITCHEN said...

This looks too gud,sounds filling!
I love ur font dear,this is ookay :))

sangeeta said...

hey the rain in seatle doesn't give any relief from the scorching sun in delhi......sobs...
the soup looks wonderful, i like texture n bite in my soup but never used bread, must try..
your rosemary reminds me of my rosemary plant which died when i was away last week...more sobs....
and your pictures are getting better n better...i am scared i'll put on more weight by just looking at them........

Ria Mathew said...

Ahhh!! Lovely pics I say!! :D Same pich (not a typo LOL!!) with regards to carrying books to the loo!This morning as I was brushing ( usually this is the time I spend in analysing where my bathroom needs a cleaning because I find brushing reaallly boring ;)) and I saw that my fav cookbook keeps me company there!! It smiles at me and I smile back everytime I see it in my bathroom! LOL!! *Bliss*

Lovely post once again Varsha!

Hugs!!

neha said...

hey varsha....i just love the way u write....the soup looks yum and i m all geared to try out the recipe....keep going...cheers

Suparna said...

Hi Varsha,
I like the new look of the write up :) great to know it's raining out there... me actually getting baked here in scorching hot summer :)
The soup looks filling and delicious due to the bread inclusion. lovely snaps,same pinch one the soup menu coz I made mixed veg soup today along with baked cauliflower :)
Enjoy!
nice new profile snap.
TC

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

Nice soup Varsha... By the way even my reader is over flowing the first thing in the morning, I check my reader... What book are you reading dear??? I too carry the book even to the loo, ppl keep nagging me for that ;) Soup loooks wickedly delicious....

Kitchen Flavours said...

Hmm probably that is the one question everyone asks u when u r not in job.....Hmm soup looks droolworthy....

Ashwini said...

Looks so yummy . Could have that bowl now..Awesome and tempting photos.

Happy cook said...

Wow that soup looks really yummy yummy delicious.
Hi hi i used to love reading blyton books.
Good old times when one read byton, nancy drew, trixie beldon etc...........

Vishali said...

delicious Tom bread soup Varsha dear. Indise Man is a very nic emovie nah. I love Denzel Washington. He is my fav actor :).

Mangala Bhat said...

wow! ..yummy ..:) very colorful :) Thanks for sharing such awonderful recipe :)

Ann said...

Super yummy soup there Varsha...great great presentation as always..and the style and font all looks suitable...makes it cute and lovely..

Madhumathi said...

WOnderful soup,Varsha..I can't take my eyes off from the pictures..You take real pain to click b'ful pics..Nice setup..Love the soup bowl..I'm sure that this soup can tickle my taste buds..

Asha said...

I just went thru' 41 posts gal, trying to run a marathon blogging catch up this morning! :D

Font. not loving it, it's bit hard to read but if you love it you should keep it.

It's 84F today, took my allergy pill already!:D

Soup looks fab, great color. Enjoy your books, movies (trying desperately to get "Frost and Nixon"!)and lazing around. It's a luxury for me, just sent kids off to school and got to start on cooking today!:)

VIDYA VENKY said...

varsha,
ur soup is so yummy...i feel like taking some from tht pic...

Pooja said...

Great clicks and yummy soup varsha..

TBC said...

Your soup looks very glamorous! :D
I'd made this recently. It tastes so good!

Deepa Hari said...

Wow...soup looks yummy Varsha....nice and different....wanna have some....Beautiful clicks.

Inside man..nice movie...i was so happy to see 'chaiya chaiya' song at the end of the movie.

Renuka said...

The soup look tasty..and i love the font..dont change that..

Valarmathi said...

Nice reading your post. Soup looks colorful and yummy. Nicely presented.

Vrinda said...

Tomato bread soup is something new to me..looks like a thick soup,great pics...

Uma said...

For me no problem reading that font. I give you 150% marks for your writing style, keep it up Varsha! Profile pic is cute. Soup looks so mouth-watering. Great recipe yaar! Good job :)

Priya Sriram said...

Love the deep blue background Varsha! Soup looks totally yumm! :)

Varsha Vipins said...

Thanks dears..:)

Sangeeta,so sad dearie..don worry..we'll get another pot..poor thing must have got badly sun burnt..:(

Ria..cookbooks in b'room..Rofl..:D:D

Ramya..Current one is Marley n me dear..:P

Ashakka..Am also joining you on the MArathon..hehe..Seems like all have different opinions on the font..but yeah..I agree even tho the look is cute,its not as easy to read as with the normal one..:P

Thanks evryone else for the kind words..:)

Laavanya said...

Wowie.. that looks nice and I saw this soup on TBC's blog too. Hope to give this a try sometime.

Reeni♥ said...

This looks so very delicious!!I am glad to see you making Italian delights! I used to read a lot, too, once I started a book I couldn't put it down until I was done. I guess life gets in the way sometimes!

n33ma said...

Hey nice profile pic you looks like a young lill girl..thats so cute.
My fav chocolate is Toblerone or any dark chocolate.
Soup looks very comforting and filling too.good click.

Bharti said...

I love that chocolate too! The soup sounds really rustic and lovely.

vidhas said...

Enjoyed reading, wish i can also write like you!! Soup looks delicious, awesome click. I also cadbury fruit and nut, Balaji bought 2 big bars of swiss chocalte for janani's birthday for both of them, i finished 80% of them ;-)

ARUNA said...

looks yummy varsha...........great pics dear!

DEESHA said...

that looks gorgeous .. nice flavors

Shabs.. said...

Woh!!!what a nice click and recipe too.....i like reading ur write ups too....Iam not a book worm, but my sis is like u...She also takes books into bathroom and creates a queue outside sitting in for more than 2 hours....lols...

AnuSriram said...

Gorgeous Soup! Looks inviting Varsha! Yumm Yumm... I don't have any problem with your font.. Infact, i love this style :)

Sara said...

I have always wanted to try making this, now I have a recipe for it! :)

Vicky Xavier. said...

well said about the time in USA. I too feel the same as u.
Tomato bread soup seems delicious.

Yasmeen said...

brilliant photography yaar.delish soup,must try these bread soups:)

Smitha said...

Din't get this post in my reader:(
Loved the soup and pics as usual are amazing. Inside man was def a good one. i enjoy most of washington's films.

Pavithra said...

Lovely piture varsha.. Loved ur arrangement offcourse the dish too..Thinking for long time to see this dish but seeing urs its tempting me.

 
Creative Commons License
Will-O'-the-Wisp is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
.