Monday, April 6, 2009

Mambazha Pulisseri...(Ripe Mangoes cooked in Coconut sauce)...!!!



Mampazha Pulisseri




Hiii everyone..So..How's the Monday going on?Hope you had a great weekend..I heard it was fricking hot out there in some places.Here its total spring n we had 60's on the weekend.We went out for a movie n trust me,We had to put AC in the car..!!..Sounds amazing no..:D..All through the sides of the road,there were pink blossoms,merrily swaying in the light wind n twinkling in the bright sun.Pink pink everywhere..!!..It was a great treat for eyes..:).Its bright here till past 8 n its hard to believe its the same Seattle...Well.. the tricky part is that, sun hits my face straight when its 6 AM or so,n I find it hard to sleep after that.Today morning it was pretty hot too..:)..But we Seattleites are really enjoying the sun..On weekend,I could see,people sitting by pavements n licking happily, their cold cone ice creams..:)

..n as usual I am feeling the laziness creeping over me after the weekend.I dont even feel like dragging my rear end ,up from this couch.lol..I was planning to post the Pizza post today.But the pic are still in cam,n I am too lazy to get all that in now and start editing n all that stuff..So next day,promise..!! :).. n also lotsa post in reader n mails to get back to..I'll do that soon..k?.:) yeah..this weekend was dedicated for movie sobs I guess..On Saturday we went out n saw this Malayalam movie n by the end I was finding it hard to restrain my sobs..:P..n y'day we finally saw Marley n Me..n gosh..I was whimpering unconsolably by the end,n even he had his eyes brimming,more because of seeing me wailing like that..(he'll kick me if he see this..:D)..I dunno whats up with me..I am becoming more emo day by day..Lol..I have heard it happens to women as they move to MP..:D...my..I have to really take a hold..lol..But then,Its a good movie,though I doubt if it has done enough justice to the book.(Guess thats what happens when you try to cram a big book into a 120 min film-roll).The book is so much better than the film,n I felt the latter is pretty jumbled up n somewhat lacked the intriguing pace as compared to the book.But its great fun to see the Marley stuff n the mess he makes ..Hilarious n Stupid..!!




Mampazha Pulisseri



Coming to today's recipe,the one most of you are familiar with,the famous pulisseri of kerala kitchen..Mampazha Pulisseri..means a sweet-hot n slightly sour dish in which cooked mashed mangoes are mixed with a flavorful coconut sauce n drizzled over with some aromatic spice induced oil(Tadka).Its mainly a seasonal curry.Mangoes are the most important,sought-after yummilicious fruit of Kerala,available only in a certain season..mainy April-June season.April showers are even called mango showers ,back in Kerala because those showers brings down the fragrant mango flowers(mampoo),which is to later on become ripe n succulent mangoes.At those times,our Verandha's would be always on hues of yellow,beacuse of these flowers thickly decorating it like a silky mattress.In season time,you'll get to see mangoe's evrywhere around in cheap price,but after that the price just shoots up high..!!..There are "n" varities of them,n price varies according to that.Most of Kerala home's have got atleast one Mango tree ,n my home is no exception.But dont be amazed when I say,we had 13 different types of Mango trees at home.We used to sell mangoes of some tree's totally,as it was almost impossible to collect n use them.We ,as kids were given the chore of collecting KanniManga's(small mangoes),strewn across the ground by previous night rains,n we used to do that quite dutifully..Then Mom used to store them up in big Bharani's for making pickle's.The fragrance of mango flowers and this pulisseri greatly adorns my childhood memories.During season,this dish used to be the main item in kitchen and I remember,by the end of season,we'd be like tired of it.But still,we always used to crave for it..Hot rice brightly shining with deep yellow pulisseri n fiery red kannimanga Achar(tender small-mango pickle) still remains vivid in mind..:)




Mampazha Pulisseri



Usually this dish is made with ripe mangoes of small size,with big tough seeds ..fibrous kind..not the usual tiny-seed n lotsa-flesh type..the seed is put in the curry and with rice,elderly people would just mash n indulge in it..But here I got a big Peruvian mango with somewhat big seed n I did it with that.
For this yummy Pulisseri:
Cook the cut mango pieces(along with the seed and some flesh surrounding it),lil tumeric powder,1 tsp Chilli powder and 4 slit green chillies..I have used 1 medium sized mango.
Meanwhile grind to a smooth paste 1-1.5 cup coconut with 5-6(as spicy as u need) green chillies,1 tsp Mustard seeds,1 tsp Cumin powder,1 inch long ginger piece,5-6 curry leaves and a pinch of Asofetida.
When the mango pieces are cooked,mash it with the back of a ladle .If you think the dish is too sweet for you,then you can add some tamarind extract at this point.But usually we don't,as we are adding yogurt later.
Now reduce heat,n add the coconut sauce into it and mix n stir.Simmer it for a while,till the raw taste goes.Stir in between.You can add some pepper powder,if you want it more spicy.
Adjust salt and now add 3-4 tbsp of thick yogurt and stir well to mix.(You can add more yogurt if you want,after tasting)Keep in simmer for a while.Dont boil.
Now heat oil,add 2 tsp Mustard seeds,3 tsp fenugreek seeds,broken red chillies and lotsa curry leaves.you can also add some sliced shallots n fry well.Fenugreek seeds are taste makers here..fry lot of them n add..That slight bitter taste adds a lot to the yumminess..
Now throw the mix into the curry,stir once n close immediately.



Rest it for a while to let the flavors seep into curry and then serve it with white rice n a spicy side dish..:)



Mampazha Pulisseri


Have a great pretty week ahead!
hugs StumbleUpon

70 Luv'ly people shared their views..:

Indhu said...

yummy dish... love the pictures... where did you get a mango? all the mangoes I saw in my grocery store looked sad :(

and... baked the bread finally... will post soon :)

Cham said...

It looks bright like Seattle weather! Hey, it is 70 here! U got a pretty yellow color, i ve heard a lot about this dish, I will do it when I get some good ripe Mango!

Priya said...

Wish i could live nearby to you...wat a lovely yellow colour...its kinda hard for me to cook with ripe mangoes coz i'll finish them before starts cooking, i should control myself n will try to do this delicious dish...

Suma Rajesh said...

woo yummy dish.its too attractive and great..

Asha said...

Beautiful color, love to try it. I have tried once, will use your recipe. It's hot and humid here too! Enjoy! :)

Gita's Kitchen said...

Its 70s in the Virginia too! Yummy dish Varsha, the color is so lovely :)

Pooja said...

looking delicious varsha...

Priya Sriram said...

Wow... what a colorful yummy dish Varsha! I'm buying ripe mangoes irresistably to go with curd rice... lol... Looks like I could try with this recipe too.. Love the second picture very much, very colorful with curry leaves on it. :)

Lavanya said...

very nice varsha..always new recipes from you..lovely color..yeah we are also enjoying weather here it is too sunny naa especially in week ends..i wish we will have same weather all over the yr :)

Soma said...

another new dish another new recipe & a name which i cannot say LOL but this is making me really hungry. I need some warm rice & papad... I will just sit here, look at the picture & eat.

It's kinda cold here after a gorgeous saturday. but we have the sun.

Superchef said...

yeah, what a gorgeous weekend!! we had fun too!!

love love mambazha pulisseri..saw some good mangoes in costco, but dunno why, we didnt buy them!!

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

hey pretty and colorful pics.. looks great. .esp the 2nd one.

can u tell me how u made the image gallery on the sidebar? i also want to do somehting like that.

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

it's 80F here :D

Sakshi said...

Now after Kerala Kuru hunting u will make me go Manga hunting...no wonder my hubby thinks am going nuts by the day!! What a delicious dish gal, U make me miss my home so much. I used to drink this one while others had it with their rice. Yum...let me see if I can make this one too..with ur recipe I know nothing can go wrong. The bowl is very pretty..Miyagi San from China gave it to u for cooking him Chakkakuru Poriyal???

A_and_N said...

Such a vibrant colour, Varsha!

Ramya Bala said...

looks very yummy varsha ;)))))the bowl looks very beautiful :)

Divya Vikram said...

Love the bright color of the dish. It is in the 70's here in LA!

Mangala Bhat said...

wow ! its soo yummy :)

Yasmeen said...

boohoo its snowing outside,what can I say:(.Anyways like I said,I don't go by the weather here in Cleveland or I be depressed for most of the year.
Love that bowl and the contents of it,looks like you've been shopping some gorgeous glassware.
13 mango trees? you surely must miss the mango varieties here.I made a jam with mexican mangoes,will post soon:D

Varsha Vipins said...



Thanks evryone..:)..Indu..I got it from freddy's..a fresh one..:)

Sakshi..he he..Na..chiyang mung gave me tat..lol..:D

Yasmeen..Gosh!!! Snowing..I cant beleive galyy..:P..u r in ICELAND..ok..am not adding on to ur depression..:P
eagerly waiting for ur jam recipe..post it soon..:P

bee said...

one of my absolute favourite dishes. love the pics.

Vicky Xavier. said...

Mampazha pulisseri looks so yummy dear. Its surely a mouthwatering dish and will surely try it soon. what a gorgeous color!

Sara said...

So colorful! I love mangoes, they're one of my favorite fruits.

Vani said...

Mango pulissery sounds wonderful, V! Am bookmarking this. And boy, am I glad to have spring weather finally too! Was sick and tired of winter. Glad it's over, for the time being at least! :)

Sanghi said...

Delicious varsha..! Lovely clicks and admire your energy in creating long posts with write ups!!! Keep it up:)

Smitha said...

you guys are getting good mangoes already??? I'm jealous. Nice recipe varsha. It's so nice to see everyone eagerly awaiting summer:)

Joie de vivre said...

Yeah Spring! You've finally come! Have a great week Varsha!

Varunavi said...

Never knew that a curry can be made with riped mango,sounds intersting

Elra said...

This is so lovely Varsha, Never had cooked mango before. Sounds so delicious.
Cheers,
elra

Ann said...

cute write up as always Varsha...seeing all the pinks there...
Great clicks of mambazha pulissery...thats a bit nostalgic.can understand how divine would have tasted..yummy.

Ria Mathew said...

OMG!! that looks soo yummmm!!! Great post!!
You are enjoying the heat and here I am all sweating!! My current post is a thirst quencher! lol!!

Suparna said...

Hi Varsha,
Glad the weather is bright and sunny...enjoy!
Hey! Mangloreans make a sweet curry called saasam which includes pineapples, mango,black grapes in coconut gravy...it is more towards the sweeter side...hmmm ur recipe looks mangolicious!mango seems to hog all the limelight :)
The snaps are damn good, makes it look more sluuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrr...p shall add it to my 'to do ' list :) thanks dear love the kerala recipes u post.
Enjoy ur day!
TC

Meenal Mehta said...

looks yum Varsha :)

vidhas said...

Slurp!! Slurp!! lovley dish Varsha. Awesome colour, looks delicious. Enjoyed reading.

Purva Desai said...

Love Mangoes in any form.....this is new dish for me and the colour is lovely bright yellow....
will try this soon thanks for sharing

RAKS KITCHEN said...

Mouthwatering seriously! Look at those pics teasing me!!Thanks for the recipe!

Shama Nagarajan said...

wow..an authentic kerala recipe....inviting one.....mmmm yumyum

Chitra said...

as usual , awesome click and yummy recipe varsha:)

Vishali said...

Beautiful color...looks delicious :D.

Seems u had a nice weekend ;)! Its so nice out there nah....evry1 is trying to enjoy the Spring :).

Madhumathi said...

Its nice to hear that sun has started shining at ur side.here its scorching hot :( I saw Marley n me movie 2 days back and I too wept at the climax.Loved the movie..but i'm yet to read the book!
Mango season has started and I will very soon try your yummy pulisseri.i like the bowl :)

Subhie Arun said...

one of my favourite...great pics dear

Kitchen Flavours said...

Wow droolworthy pictures. This is new to me. Iam still waiting for ripe ones here......Wondering how it is going to taste mango and coconut.....

Akal's Saappadu said...

I enjoy reading your small anecdotes as usual :)
we had a weather and the temperature of an ideal summer day too on Monday, but today, it's raining and cloudy and windy and whatever , cold like the autumn.....

your manga pulisseri looks yumm, nice photo and love that bright yellow color!

AnuSriram said...

Wow.. this looks awesome! My favourite dish! Wish i could have this for lunch!

Trupti said...

wow Varsha Pulissri looks very mouthwatering. It must be tasted very good. Just my kind of recipe.

Here wkend was very good but now temp is in 40s. We also enjoyed the Cherry Blossom

Asha said...

LOL!! You are so right about Tulips for CLICK. DID NOT think of that, thanks a bunch.
Ran to my backyard and clicked my Mint and Garlic chives and posted that again for her at Aroma! ;P

Premyscakes said...

What a lovely dish. love the color too.

Uma said...

delicious and authentic recipe Varsha! looks so coloruful and yummy.

Poornima Nair said...

Movies are always a let down if you've read the book. Most often I'd rather skip the movie.
The pulisseri looks awesome...my favorite meal - pulisseri, rice and a thoran or mezhukkupuratti...my mouths watering.

Laavanya said...

Gosh that looks fabulous... love that bright yellow colour. Hardly cook with mangoes, if I lay hands on a good one, then it's immediately sliced & consumed as-is.

Reeni♥ said...

I love hearing about your memories. This looks so very delicious! The way you describe the scent of them reminds me of how much I love the intoxicating smell of orange blossoms!

Aren't books almost always better than movies? I haven't read the book yet because I don't like sad things. You are so lucky to have nice weather, it cold, and rainy here!

Have a lovely week yourself!!

Joie de vivre said...

Thanks for visiting Varsha. Have a great day!

veggie belly said...

this brings back memories of childhood :))

Malar Gandhi said...

Whooo yumm, authentic. great one.

Make the Impossible...Possible said...

Lovely yellow color..with curry leaves adding to the glow....great...mouth watering infact!!!!

Great cook, u....
Lovely.....

mathew said...

i can count the number of times I have had this...and its so authentically naadan..the kind of curries you will never find in restuarants!!

well...give me my share!!!:-P

Dibs said...

wish we'd get some sunshine here. it is getting colder by the day in Sydney! Thats a yummy recipe - never heard or tried it! Must see if mangos are around at this time of the year this part of the world!!

prajusha said...

looks mouthwatering and love the pics too..

alisa@foodista said...

Wow! That is a yummy dish! I love it when you talk about the things that you've been up to,feels like Im right there talking to you :) Im definitely trying this dish once I get a hold of some mangoes :)

Deepa Hari said...

Lovely pics Varsha....dish looks yum and authentic...wanna try this out.

Maria said...

gorgeous pics dear!! I've never had it, I dont know why...anyways am adding this to my India trip food list :)

ARUNA said...

simply gorgeous......love the pictures!

Muneeba said...

Varsha ... I want you as my neighbor. And I'd seriously be your guinea pig as far as testing out dishes. Or if ever you make too much of one thing, you could send over the leftovers! *sigh* ... in the meantime, I'll just be content to drool over your pics.

Ana Powell said...

Hi Varsha
Another beautiful dish, every detail thought of.
Beautiful colors ... I really love your cooking x

Mari at Once Upon a Plate said...

Oh Varsha ~ this looks so beautiful, and I'm sure it is delicious! Thank you so much for all of the information, I always learn so much interesting information from your blog. ((hugs)) ~m.

Varsha Vipins said...

Thanks everyone for the nice words..:)..Pls lemme know when yu try it..:)

Supriya Nair said...

Hey Varsha, wonderful blog...amazing photography and the recipes are mouthwatering...This one is my Fav..I am waiting for the Vishu Saddya (That I might have to eat at night...pitfalls of working..)...anyways...Kudos to you dear...

Priya said...

I was soo tempted seeing this dish in your sadya menu that I made it for dinner just now. It turned out yummy! I had it with some carrot-moong dal thoran and rice. Thank you for the lively recipe :-)

Le @HC said...

First time here.. Awsome space with beatiful recipes and pics.. For now, im bookmakring this traditional recipe, as im drooling over the pics.:)

sangeeta said...

how did i miss this one.....the name is difficult for me as usual but the recipe is something A is going to love....i am making it tomorrow.will tell you after that.

 
Creative Commons License
Will-O'-the-Wisp is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
.