Monday, April 20, 2009

Lasoon Palak di Dal (Garlic flavored Spinach Dal)..!!

Lasoon Palak di Dal 

Haa..Finally I get to sit down and do a post.We were really busy this weekend with apartment hunting n couple of flight/trip bookings n so on..n still are.Since morning I am on phone like crazy and seems like there is more of busy times coming ahead.Sorry If I have not reached any of your posts.I am planning to do a swift peek-a-boo through my reader,which is already throwing me humongous numbers,as if to scare me..:D..As I told in last post,I am not cooking anything blog-worthy since more than a  week,n this weekend most of our meals were from outside.Almost no cooking at all..:p.I don’t like it when I am devoid of posts..n I am not liking it now.:( ..Gosh..!

 

So..you see ..so many things are running on the back of my mind,like minimized windows.:P..hence am totally at lose ,how to strike a start here,which you all love to read.I know,now I cant sulk here..hee..:D..Our weekend was bright n warm n we were travelling most of the time.I could see lots of cheerful yellow ,pink flowers..teeny-weeny ones smiling all through the sidewalks..Spring has really made the fairy touch everywhere..Blossom’s n chirps all around.People relaxing n enjoying in benches,sipping their lemonades.Toe-peep heels ,brimmed hats,bright print outfits n sunglasses are back into scene..Shops were all abuzz n chit-chats everywhere.Seems like I cant ever stop shopping n got hold of some nice earrings(which happens to be my utmost fad) n  tops this weekend..:D.Tulip festival has started in the Skagit valley,n we couldn’t make it to there this week.Its there only till month end,n we have fingers crossed.This weekend be better good,or else we are going to miss something really beautiful.Tulip  festival is there in some other places as well.Do check out..Hope some of you had a great time amongst the cheery daffodil’s n Tulip's..:)

Lasoon Palak di Dal

So ,to make it feel like spring has touched  Will-O’-the-Wisp,am here  with an all-yellow’y post.Yellow represents happiness,cheerfulness and all the goodness.So when I made this simple Lasoon palak di Dal,which looked pretty in its deep yellow hue,I gave it the company of my bright Marguerites and they looked a nice pair.:)

Coming to the dish,needless to say it is  super-good for your body,as it combines all the goodness of grains as well as richness of spinach.Garlic gives it a wonderful flavor and its yummy with Roti/Naan as well as hot white rice.I am not sure if this is the authentic way,but it tasted really good..!

To Make this yum dish:

1 cup



1 tsp

1 Tsp

4-5


1 bundle


1.5 Tbsp

1 tsp

1/2 cup

Tempering:


1 tsp
1 tsp
3-4
Toor Dal(or 1/2 cup Moong Dal+1/2 c Tur Dal) 

Turmeric Powder

Chilli Powder

Slit Chillies


Spinach,cleaned n chopped

Garlic minced

Ginger julienned

Sliced Shallots




Mustard seeds
fenugreek seeds
Broken Red chillies


Kasoori Methi
Cilantro leaves
Ghee

Oil
Salt
 
 
 

Lasoon Palak di Dal

Pressure cook the dal,with chilli powder,turmeric powder,enough salt and a drop of oil,till soft.

Meanwhile in a pan heat oil and add the minced garlic n ginger n saute till they are slightly browned.

Throw in the shallots n slit chilies' n saute till soft.

Add the chopped spinach n lil turmeric powder n mix well.(You can even add a tsp of Chilli powder now to make it lil more spicy)

Close,simmer n let it wilt n cook.

After a few minutes ,open n keep sautéing till the spinach is fully cooked.

Now mash the Dal in the cooker well and add it to the cooked spinach n mix well.

Close n simmer it for a while to let the flavors blend.

Do a taste test n adjust salt.

Do the tempering with Mustard,fenugreek n broken chillies.Though usually they don't add,I like to use curry leaves here.

Sprinkle a generous pinch of Kasoori Methi n some cilantro,add a dollop of ghee n close the pan till use.

 

Lasoon Palak di Dal

Mmmhh….Rich ,creamy dal slightly spiced up n combo-ed’ with garlic flavored greeny goodness of spinach,when tempered n topped with some ghee…What can be more tasty?? Have you tried this before?? if not better late than never..!!!

Have an awesome week ahead..!!

Adios n Hugs..:)

 

StumbleUpon

62 Luv'ly people shared their views..:

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

Wow lovely presentation, Palak Dal looks yum yum and healthy... Delectable dish Varsha... I lived your font too...

Helene said...

This looks yummy. Looks so spring.

Superchef said...

great post...soo al busy huh? where ur planning your travel to?? n pls go to tulip festival, those are just lovely!! we went last year.

n of course, the dal looks delicious. I like garlicky dals.

Ramya Bala said...

Yummy dhal..second dhal post am seeing in blogosphere in an hour :)

Divya Vikram said...

Gorgeous presentation dearie. You must be spendng a lot of time clicking those pics I guess. I make dpinach dhall the same way except the kasoori methi. Will try it next time I make.And when have you booked the tickets? It is almost 90 degree here today:(

Indhu said...

nice and chatty post as usual :)
and yeah.. the weather seems to be improving - Yayy :)
yummy dhal... love the pictures!

Pooja said...

Delicious dal varsha..Nice clicks..

Mangala Bhat said...

wow! yummy dal and nice clicks :) lovely presentaion as always :)

RAKS KITCHEN said...

yummy dal Varsha! Never tried garlic in dal! Thanx for the recipe dear!

Cham said...

Lovely palak and dhal Varsha, I didn't opened much my reader last week due to eye inflammation, but seeing all the digits it really sacred me, i am trying to clear off too. Glad that u had a good weather, we have 90 deg, oops another day to run in 80 after that back to normal. Going on vacation babe?

Elra said...

That look really delicious Varsha! It's too hot here right now, otherwise I'd be making this for our supper.
Cheers,
elra

aquadaze said...

i love this dal varsha. And wonderful pictures, as always.

Ashwini said...

Yummy Dhal Varsha..Nice presentation too. Love the garlic flavor in it.

Lavanya said...

i always use garlic in dal..dal looks yummy varsha..we went to tulips yesterday..it was nice..but next week we are going again..to see full bloom of tulips..go next week..i hope next week will be good :)

Suparna said...

Hi Varsha,
Same pinch on the weather...it's damn ...damn hot here too! and great to know u r planning ur vaccation. Hmmm spinach garlic dal looks yummm...
Enjoy!
TC

5 Star Foodie said...

Looks delicious and I love the gorgeous colors of this dish!

Sushma said...

fantastic presentation..,
i too love garlic dal palak.
I have put one version of the same in my blog

Deepa Hari said...

Love ur font Varsha...Beautiful clicks as usual dear....yummy yellowy dal.

Prathibha said...

Nice clicks n nice dal varsha....

ARUNA said...

nice presentation varsha!

A_and_N said...

I love garlic, however, I've never tried this recipe. I think I will try your version!

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

simple yet healthy and tasty.. nice dish varsha.

Uma said...

so flavorful dal. Looks so yummy. Nice post as always :)

Sharmila said...

Your snaps do look happy and bright. :-)
I love this dal and palak with loads of garlic ... only I use chana dal. Good one Varsha! :-)

Swapna said...

Nice post....and dal looks really yummy Varsha!!!

Ann said...

going to try this version Varsha...looks real yummy and great presentation !!
ho,this much hot ..will be tired..having lots of drinks ?
where is the vaccation ?

Navita said...

lovely pic! very refreshing and plz...daals are always blog-worthy...the stpale of an Indian...and so healthy n tasty!

good luck with the aptt. hunting...i know how busy life can get at times...m in the same phase too :)

Priya said...

Thats a delicious dal Varsha..ur font is too beautiful..

Shama Nagarajan said...

presentation looks good.....yummy delicious dal

Ria Mathew said...

Love anything with a touch of garlic! Nice pics!!

Vishali said...

mmhh thats one delicious and healthy dal Varsha. Seems u were very busy weekend :). Take care.

Asha said...

We just booked flight too for June vacation, going to Hawaii as a treat for Trisha before she moves out! :)

Yummy Lasooni Palak dal, I love it. Enjoy the warm weather! :)

Gita's Kitchen said...

Nice font Varsha, house hunting is really a daunting task. We too are doing the same :( Lovely pciture dear! This is my favorite dhal, my favorite combo with this is rice and rasam :)

Happy cook said...

Your pictures look so beautiful and love that dal looks so delicious. Looks like you indeed having a hectic time there.

Valarmathi said...

Yummy and healthy one. Nice presentation. Lovely picture.

Ushanandini said...

Yummy dal ! Always our fav dish......Used to cook with fenugreek leaves and sometimes with spinach. Lovely font!

AnuSriram said...

Wow.. that looks awesome.. What a gr8 click! Delicious recipe :P

Smitha said...

I make a simialr dal and my hubby taught me that when we were newly-weds:)
Nice pics.

Madhumathi said...

I love dal with greens..I'm sure this one tastes awesome..Your presentation is mind-blowing!

Sakshi said...

Hey spring indeed has touched your blog...what lovely hues of colours in ur pics...love them. You are lucky to be eating out...am fed up of cooking for now. I love anything with loads of garlic in it and this version of urs is tempting me to make it tonight.
So all set for that big trip? Enjoy and hope to see all the gambling pics!!

vincent said...

Hello,


We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM! YUM!.
We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
enjoy your recipes.

Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

Best regards,

Vincent
petitchef.com

Priya Sriram said...

Oh you are making me jealous telling about the tulip festival.:(
We will miss it this year terribly!! Mebbe I'll see your pictures and console myself! :D
Daal looks yumm and colorful! :)

Purva Desai said...

Lovely presentation and really liked the new font....
Palak dal looks nutritious and simply love taste of garlic in a dal

Vani said...

Definitely spring-y post there, Varsha! :) Loved the pics. Dal looks great!

myspicykitchen said...

yummy dal... and nice presentation... where are you planning to go on your next trip?

Varsha Vipins said...

Thanks everyone..:)..Yup..we taking a 3 day break to the Hot hot LA..:-S

Pavithra said...

LOoks so coloruful...very nice clicks.

Laavanya said...

Perfect for a garlic fan like me.... looks delicious.

Adlak's tiny world said...

hi darling after a long i too come to blogging. sweet post da.. feeling as if i have travelled with u n seen all those fairy touch of teeny weeny yellow pinky blossoms...u only can give yr readers to enjoy the lively scenes....

oh! let me come to the recipe.. i can smell the aroma of garlic flvrd dal here. as usual nicely presented da.

Soma said...

Love your new font & the format:-D

That dal is delicious, so very north indian! Some thick paratha with ghee & a bowl of dal for me please.. no wait with some rice too!
Lovely appetizing pics.

happy apt hunting.

Priti said...

Dal looks too gud Varsha and nice pics....inbtw your new font style is gud but can I say that it looks a bit blur like it's a scan copy(or only to me ?) just letting you know dear

sriharivatsan said...

Dal looks terrific Varsha..My hubby is fond of garlic flavored spinach, though i am not..Can prepare for him sometime..Tx for sharing..

prajusha said...

varsha,
palak dal looks delicious.enjoy ur vacation.

Trupti said...

Daal looks delicious Varsha. I also make same type of daal. Love the new style of writing.

Grab your award from my blog.

Vicky Xavier. said...

Lasoon palak looks delicious. I am always stunned on seeing ur patience in decoration and clicking techniques.

Pooja said...

Great shots Varsha :) The dal looks yummy! This is my favourite lentil dish and at times I add few additional spices and make it spicy :) I too,love to add curry leaves. I even like to add mustard seeds and tries to impart the flavor of Kerala cuisine to it :)

Renuka said...

i am a new visitor..Very nice blog...

Yasmeen said...

Like the blooming flowery set up.The dal my mom's favorite,I also make it with parathas.I see you've great travel plans in making,hope you get good deals :)

Ammu said...

Nice click. U r very creative & innovative.

Malar Gandhi said...

Whoo Varsha...superb picture ra. Love it.

Varsha Vipins said...

Thanks everyone..:)
Priti,No worries..I have changed that..:)

sangeeta said...

this is really i spring time post with all your blooms.......i like my palak dal with lots of garlic too but here we use a hing n jeera tadka for this, try it it changes the whole aroma of the daal.

 
Creative Commons License
Will-O'-the-Wisp is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
.