Friday, April 3, 2009

Creamy Broccoli Soup..!!!

Broccoli soup




Hi all..Its an unusually bright friday in Seattle and I am really enjoying the brightness.An interesting movie is running on TV,n my mind is swinging between both the screens.. :P


So..how are you all..?..Planning for a bang on the weekend mebe.!!.As of me,we have just some movie plans,a trip to beach, n eat ..n snuggle.. n sleep n ofcourse,How can I not mention our latest addiction,Sequence Strategy..lol..Its that famous game with cards n chips,n recently we bought this jumbo version and now kinda fully into it...However late it might be,we wouldn't sleep without playing a game..Its fun.. Then we play Ludo n chess as well..But Sequence is real good.. :)


Broccoli soup

Yesterday for dinner,I made a home made Chicken Tikka Pizza ,all from scratch..It came out so so good,that I was so delighted.So soft,bubbly n the tikka's tasted amazing n made an awesome topping.Will post that next week.. :).. Okies..so my space is all on hues on bright green today..As you see a creamy greeny Broccoli soup.. :) Remember my Rosemary- cheddar bread..? Yeah..I made this soup to go with those delicious croutons/slices.I made it for dinner n had it with the slices dipped in the soup.Next day I reheated the left over soup in microwave with the sliced croutons dunked in the soup..n it came out even more yummy.. :)..I threw in some Rosemary leaves to the soup as well,making it more flavorful.. :)



Broccoli


I was never a soup person,n the total number of times I have had it in my life would be below 5.But Kutts love it..So I make its sometimes..But I must say, this one really impressed me.It was mild creamy ,yet spicy n comforting.. :)




For this yum soup:



Blanch the florets of a medium sized Broccoli (Dunk in boling water for 5 mins n rinse with cold water)



In a large pan,heat oil /butter and add a 2 inch cinnamon stick n 2 bay leaves.Saute till fragrant.



Add 2 Tbsp of minced garlic(you can make it 3,if you lovethe garlic flavor like me),saute n add a 1-1.5 cups of sliced onions .Saute till soft( you can add potato cubes as well..I didn't)



Throw in the blanched Broccoli florets n fry till crisp yet soft.



Pour in a cup of water n add salt n lil pepper powder n some fresh Rosemary leaves n bring to a boil.



Cool slightly n Tranfer the contents to a blender(remove the cinnamon stick n bayleaf at this point) ,add 3 Tbsp Sour cream n blend till smooth.(Take extreme care at this stage .Dont fill the blender to brim n don pour in very hot mix to blend..the blender may burst n burn you).



Now bring back the puree to the pot,pour in 1-2 cups of water n boil again .Make it as thin/thick as you need.



Meanwhile,in a pan add 3 Tbsp of butter and melt.Add 3 Tbsp of All-purpose flour n stir to fry..It'll become crumbly.



Now add to this 1.5-2 cups of milk and stir till the mix is thick n smooth.Add this mix to the soup pot n stir to mix.



Do a taste test,add more salt or pepper.



Sprinkle chilli peppers n Fresh Rosemary leaves on top. :)


Broccoli soup


Now you can pour the warm soup to the bowls,dip a slice of fresh warm bread into it and then take a soft bite into it.You'll find your eyes close automatically n your taste buds dancing with joy.. :)


..n this is off to FIC-Red n Green hosted by Neha,started by Sunshinemom.. :)

Ria has tagged me for a me-me which I have already done in this post..Thanks Ria.. :)
Have a great weekend all of you,
Hugs
StumbleUpon

63 Luv'ly people shared their views..:

AnuSriram said...

Wow.. Lovely soup varsha! Comforting! Can imagine the flavours.. Hmmmm... yummy! Nice clicks! Can't wait for the pizza recipe.. Post it soon! :D

5 Star Foodie said...

Ooo, that sounds good! And I love the gorgeous pictures!

Asha said...

We love Broccoli and cheese soup too, Trisha loves Quiznos soups. Looks great with chilli flakes on top, Rosemary is very flavorful herb. I have herb pot full of them, it survived the coldest Winter.

Enjoy your fun weekend. It's going to be very warm here, so it should be fun for us for gardening and BBQ. Not touching the Lappy until Monday. (I hope! :D)

Pooja said...

soup is looking yummy varsha..Nice clicks dear..

Madhumathi said...

I love broccoli so much..And you have made a lovely soup with it.It must be tasting heavenly with your rosemary bread.You are just tempting me with your b'ful bread n soup pics..
You didn't properly licked the spoon,dear!Or is it for aesthetics?

Resh said...

the snaps r tooo good...the soup looks very yummyyy....u never cease to amaze me with soooo many recipes, i never ever wud have even thot of when i was 22 !!
:D

Luv
Resh

Superchef said...

i think you said it too soon...it raining again!!!! :(

the soup looks great, very similar to the one which i posted last month! :) n that pizza sounds nice.. isnt it great to make pizzas the indian way. AJ has been asking me to make that paneer butter masala pzizza again!! :)

Have a great weekend! Hope there is wnough sunshine to make a good weekend out of it!

VineelaSiva said...

Hai varsha the soup is looking yummy.I love the picture.U r a nice photographer dear.

Indhu said...

awesome soup and absolutely love the picures :)
and yayy on the weather :)

Malar Gandhi said...

Looks nice, good way to eat broccoli, right.

Sumathi said...

Soup looks really yummy..

Gita's Kitchen said...

Lovely picture Varsha, the soup looks so inviting and yummy, must have tasted great with bread! Chicken tikka pizza sounds delicious too :)

Poornima Nair said...

The soup looks so creamy and delicious. Perfect with the bread. The pictures are amazing as usual.

Divya Vikram said...

I make broccoli soups once in a while. Love the addition of sour cream. Will try it next time.

Lavanya said...

lovely soup varsha..nice pics as usual..love the color n garnishing on it(red chili flakes)..very nice dear :)

Cham said...

Wow, what a color, it will fit the FIC green and red Varsha :) What do u think?
I want the pizza now! Have a great weekend!

Sara said...

This is such a vibrant color of green! I love broccoli, it's one of my favorite vegetables.

Mangala Bhat said...

wow ! nice pics as always :) Very healthy soup :) Thanks :)

Cynthia said...

I love the artistry of the first pic.

Reeni♥ said...

How surprising that you've only had soup five times in your life. Yet you made this delicious soup, so vibrant and creamy! It is the perfect picture of Spring! Have a fun weekend! I hope the weather stays nice for you.

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

such pretty pics varsha.. looks really very tempting... this comment form is much better than the previous one because it used to hang after dropping comments :)

Varsha Vipins said...

Thanks everyone for the wonderful comments..:)..
Ashakka,am so jealous of u..:P

Madhu,Yea..thats rite baby..;)

Thanks for that note Cham..I'll send to FIC..:)

Yeah Mahimaa,Thanks for letting me know that..:)

Suparna said...

Hi Varsha,
Wow! the game sounds interesting and u'r having fun gurl!! God Bless :) Enjoy. hmmm ur cooking is reeeeeeeeeeeally something that is graduating post by post. Nice recipes and quite elaborate.
Good one this time too! the pics of this post aren't gettting displayed :( I'll come back sometime later to have a look.
Have a bright n happy weekend!
TC

Vibaas said...

that looks sooo good. lovely click Varsha :)

Joie de vivre said...

Your pics are gorgeous as always. I want to see the chicken tikka pizza!

Rajee said...

That sounds great. So drolling and comforting soup. Enjoy ur weekends!

Ann said...

Looks cute green and creamy...enjoy the weekend !!

sriharivatsan said...

Wow, what a color..Nice and tempting one..I have never tasted brocccoli so far...Have to give a try once..

Sharmilee! :) said...

Hey beautiful clicks! Soup looks very refreshing...

Priya Sriram said...

Awesome clicks Varsha! The first one with b/w background attracts my eyes altogether! Wonderful presentation as usual! :)

Happy weekend!

Prathibha said...

Nice soup and Clicks varsha....!!

Sushma said...

lovely presentation. Will try your version of broccoli soup soon.

Aparna Prabhu said...

No doubt the soup is yummy.......
But en photgraphy aila superb!!

Shabs.. said...

hey varsha....i love broccoli soup.....cant wait to try this....and ur clicks are superb....:)

Vishali said...

Love the Broccoli soup and the snap :D .....thats a a very healthy one!

Have a nice and wonderful weekend dear!

myspicykitchen said...

nice soup.... we were not as lucky as you were yesterday.... it rained all day yesterday and the sun came out just before it set... :(

Gita's Kitchen said...

Thanks a lot for the tip dear, Have a great weekend :)

Adlak's tiny world said...

wow super o super varsh... kalakara photo la ippo nee.. so cute pic they are. send me the bowl darling i m hungry.

Deepa Hari said...

Love the clicks....Soup looks yum Varsha...nice presentation.

Lavi said...

Varsha..Yummy Soup..Looks Delish with the bread's..Why did'nt you licked the spoon properly?

sangeeta said...

i like broccoli soup with lots of garlic.........n your chilli flakes look great.....i could taste it this time......

srikars kitchen said...

wow.. lovely soup.. looks delicious & healthy one...

Priya said...

Gorgeous pictures Varsha...i love broccoli soup much...Looks yummy!!

ARUNA said...

that's a very lovely soup Varsha.....gr8 color!

Hema said...

lovely soup and picture varsha!!!

Ashwini said...

Love broccoli..Soup looks yumm with chilli flakes and rosemary..Tempting photos..

Soma said...

Fabulous pictures! I eat my broccolis raw, get scared to cook for the smell. :-) but this looks good & does not have that cooked slimy green color!

tikka pizza sounds really really yum...

Ramya Bala said...

hey varshs first of the pic is really awesome and it automatically tempts to have the soup...YUMMY!

Yasmeen said...

Classic bread and soup,rosemary with broccoli must taste divine:)

Selba said...

Your broccoli soup looks so pretty!!! :)

aquadaze said...

love that green color varsha..soup is the only way i eat brocolli!

Miri said...

That looks like a lovely meal - warm soup and crusty bread! I don't much like broccoli as is but loved it when I made into a similar creamy soup.

Shama Nagarajan said...

delicious lovely soup dear

Sakshi said...

If heaven had a color it must be of this broccoli soup...it looks so soothing and welcoming...slurp...slurp!! So hope now u will soon surpass the 6 times drank soup in a lifetime to more numbers??? Gosh this time am almost the last one to comment...blame it on the 104 degree weather here..I mean my fever!! Thanks baby for calling up and enquiring on my poor well being...am ok now..

Ur pics are too good this time :)

Laavanya said...

What a pretty green colour that soup has Varsha... I love broccoli soup.

Akal's Saappadu said...

I love having soup for dinner. My husband loves Broccoli, whether you give him boiled, steamed or mixed or fried, he can take it all; I'll try to do this for him; rich color and adding milk makes it rich and consistent, my kids will love it too!
I add 1/4 cup of fresh cream instead of milk :)

Varsha Vipins said...

Thanks everyone..Hope you try this n leme know how you liked as well..

Neha said...

Hmmm, lovely creamy soup..., n so amazingly womnderful n tempting pictures..
Thanx for sending..

Akal's Saappadu said...

varsha, as i promised, i tried your soup but very simply without any any onions or anything alse, only the broccolis (lazy girl , me) and also, it was late and i wanted to do something quick, light (i'm asking myself if it really was ??? hahaha) and easy to do, recalled your broccoli recipe and set to do; all i can say is, even if i didn't do exactly what you've done, the idea and the desire to do the soup came when I saw your soup (yours), so wanted to thank you for the delicious recipe and i'm going to post that soon :)

Akal's Saappadu said...

and my beloved and my teddies loved it too :)

Varsha Vipins said...

Thanks you so so much Vino for trying it out n letting me know n then posting it too..:)..Am so happy..:)

Anonymous said...

Good Morning!!! varshaspaceblog.blogspot.com is one of the best innovative websites of its kind. I take advantage of reading it every day. All the best.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I just made soup (Broccoli) followed ur recipe. I added Mushroom and add all herbs. Tasty.. Thanks,
Mie

 
Creative Commons License
Will-O'-the-Wisp is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
.