Friday, March 6, 2009

Whole wheat - Sour Cream Bread with grains n nuts ..!!!






So..how are you all?Weekend is here ,n I hope all of you are joyful n planning to rock the time.. :)
As of me,here its beautiful n sunny outside n I really hope it to be so on weekends too.I have some plans. :) Usually,what happens is (as to justify my name) whenever I step out of home,it'l be pitter-patter.Not that I love it,but sometimes its good to see sun. :) ..Like yesterday we (me n MirchMasala Superchef) went for The confessions of a Shopaholic n wow we had a great time..The movie is a light-hearted n feel-good one..We roared out laughing all through the movie,n at many points we could just relate ourselves to Rebecca Bluemont.I guess many of us could,of course.She has acted it out amazingly n yeah the guy was cute too..:)..Altogether well worth a chick-flick movie.All of you,who are shopaholics, n not some serious-kinda movie buffs,watch it n enjoy.. :)



I am now totally into baking ..Its really interesting n now we just cant think of having the store bought breads.. senyumkenyit Oh..yeah..There is one helluva difference.You doubt??Go bake n feel it.. :)





Usually every Monday I bake a loaf,n that'll last us for a week or so..I mean 4-5 days,n for the rest of the mornings I cook up something else.I am seeing so many types of breads everywhere in blog world n trust me I want to try all of it.Banana bread n Challah are next in the hit list. :D


Last time I saw in Asha's Aroma about using Sour cream in bread.She had baked a flavorful Potato bread with sour cream.I neither had spices,not potato chips.So just made my good ole' bread with sour cream n some garlic powder.It came out good n had a different flavor as compared to my first one.So thought of sharing with you.For my first bread,I got so many lovely comments n yeah..I am glad that it gave motivation to many of you to bake..So here I am to give you some more.. :P ..This one is also a simple beginner-friendly one.So go ahead n kick up your oven ..One thing I must mention is, the fragrance n warmth when the bread is baking.It engulfs the whole home ,lingers for long n you'll just feel heavenly inside..Its an intriguing aroma.. :)

Before going into details of bread..
Guess its the season of awards.Sweet Sanghi n Shama passed me all these lovely awards n some more which are there in my side bar.. :) I am overwhelmed to receive all these..Thanks a ton Sanghi.. :)






All my pals,pls accept it from my part.. :)

Ok..for this bread.. :)







You need:

3 cups Whole wheat flour

1/2 tsp garlic powder

1/2 tsp dries parsley/thyme

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/2 cup Oat meal(If you find the flour mix not comfortably dry,add some more oat meal..I dint have to,though)

1/3 cup milk

1/4 cup honey

1/2 cup warm water

1/2 cup Sour Cream

1 1/4 teaspoons salt

1/4 cup Olive oil

1/3 cup of a mix of Flax ,sunflower n Sesame seeds n some for sprinkling on top

1/4 cup of crumbled Walnuts n craisins

1 packet dry yeast(I used Fleichmann's Extra rise Active dry yeast)






Method

In a large bowl combine water n sour cream n MW water for 40 secs.

Add yeast and keep it aside till it foams.Some 10 mins..

After that add the milk,honey,salt and olive oil into it and stir lightly .

Sift/mix wheat n oat flour,garlic powder,parsley,baking soda,seeds n nuts n craisins, and add it to wet mix and stir until combined into a sticky mass.

Take it out and keep it on a clean work surface and knead it for 6-10 minutes to form a smooth dough.

Oil the large bowl ,put the dough inside n flip to cover all sides of the dough with oil.

Cover it with a paper towel,and keep it aside for an hour to double.In cold countries,keep it inside a slightly preheated oven or oven with the inside light on.

After an hour take the doubled dough and lightly knead n roll into a log shape.

Place it in a greased parchment paper inside the loaf pan.Keep it back inside the lit oven for an hour,until the dough raises an inch above the rim.

Sprinkle some more seeds n nuts n craisins on top.

Now preheat the oven to 350 F n bake the bread for 35-40 mins.

After 20 mins,if the crust is browning too much lightly tent it.

To check if the bread is set,knock it on the bottom side .It should sound hollow.

Take the bread outside and butter the outside crust to prevent it from going hard.



Hugs n happy weekend.. peluk StumbleUpon

45 Luv'ly people shared their views..:

Superchef said...

yet another bread and this time whole wheat..my-my, you are rocking!! :) ya, we did have so much fun yesterday1

Asha said...

Do you get to go for movies together? That's cool. Yeah, I saw that movie's trailer. Usually not my kind of movie to watch but I like Ila, the heroine. She is Borat's (Sasha Cohen)baby's mama! :D

Braed looks fabulous, wheat flour and nuts makes it great healthy slice of bread to have.

Weather is great, so I will doing some gardening. No shopping for me for 6 more days, remember? ;D

Have a fun time there, see you next week. Next weekend, 2 birthdays are coming too, got to buy some kiddie stuff.There will be 6 teenagers at home! Ahh...!

Cham said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Indhu said...

lovely looking bread... love the addition of oats and sunflower seeds :)

Cham said...

Wonderful bread with seeds on top. Great for healthy snacking. Have a great weekend!

5 Star Foodie said...

This bread looks just wonderful! I love the sour cream and honey and oatmeal in it! Have a great sunny weekend!

Deepa Hari said...

I am seeing lot of baking going around....Bread looks absolutely delicious Varsha and healthy too....i guess i need to bake something.

Poornima Nair said...

That bread looks beautiful Varsha...i baked my first one last month and I agree, its so comforting to bake and have home baked breads.

sowmya said...

looks perfect..and nice ingredients too..

Sakshi said...

I guess you will not stop until you force me to make bread!! Is there anything...a tiny weeny thing that you don't make at home and buy from the supermarket?? The bread looks so pretty that I have made a mental note that I must try baking at least once!!!

Come over to Boston and we can go to the movies, opera and theatre almost daily ;) (of course in return you will have to cook for us)

Varsha Vipins said...

Manju .. Thanks.. :)

Asha.. guess u r going to have a great tuf time.. he he.. :D

Thanks all of you.. :)

Sakshi, yeah I buy milk n chicken even tho we are planning to start a farmhouse soon..So we wont have to get out of home ..hwsat.. n don u dare lure me into ur trap.. :D :D

A_and_N said...

Awesome stuff!

Sara said...

This is a beautiful bread, I've never tried making bread with sour cream before.

Priya Sriram said...

I know there is a hell of a diff. bet the bread we bake and store bought ones! But I'm too lazy to try it! But your pictures are encouraging me to bake my own! :) Will def. try out and see...
Wonderful clicks Varsha!

Lakshmi said...

hey varsha ur becoming a pro in baking bread I suppose :) awesome clicks.ur camera is doing wonders.

Soma said...

That's one gorgeous bread with some extraordinary pictures!!! Love all the things that u have put in that bread.

U guys went movies! movies are history for me since we had kids:)
also forgot to mention last time when i read about u being under an umbrella--- romantic isn't? some of our best pre marriage romance happened on rainy days under an unbrella. one of us would purposely forget one umbrella:-)

Reeni♥ said...

Home-made bread is the best! I love the way it makes the whole house smell so lovely. Your bread looks so delicious with so many good ingredients in it!

Varsha Vipins said...

Thanks A n N,Sara,Priya,Lakshmi n Soma..
Priya,You should definitely go for it dear.. :)
Lakshmi n Soma,But I never liked these snaps..Gosh,Seattle neva gives me light..:(
Soma,yeah yeah..i guess without any umbrella would be awesome.. :P

Varsha Vipins said...

Oh..missed u Reeni..Thanks..yeah am totally addicted to it now.. :)..glad that I am getting time to reply all of u promptly today.. :)

Divz said...

woow thats so cool..i mean u and superchef go out for movies..i envy u both..:( wish i had a blogger friend in my neighbourhood!!
and kudos to u for ur 2nd bread...hats off to u but i still havent got the courage to bake a bread on my own..trying to assimilate that..hopefully by the time u reach ur 50th bread i might make my first..

Priti said...

Looks wonderful...its a gr8 pleasure bake our own bread isn't it dear?...I do hope to bake bread one day ;)..Have a gud weekend

Ankita said...

Seems as though everyone is baking.:)
Lovely bread that too with sour cream and garlic rare combo.
Looks delicious and super yum.

Preety said...

you bread looks way better than store bought or i sud say there is no comparison at all..very nice clicks varsha..i m loving your photography everyday..

gr8 you have a frnd to hangout with..i gues you don't have any kids right now..i hav 16 month old daughter so its hard to find time for ourselves..so i hang out most of the time in kitchen with my food:)

Dershana said...

hey varsha, that's such a beautiful looking loaf! you are quite a cook!

Dibs said...

I have baked pav 2 times now...was looking for something that uses whole wheat flour...and here it is!

Sanghi said...

Delicious bread!! :)

Ana Powell said...

Hi
Another great recipe.
Congratulation on your awards.
You deserve them x

Swapna Pravin said...

wow! really wonderful bread. Good treat to eyes & tongue..... Nice click tooo :) Keep rocking :)))))

Chitra said...

hello varsha,i've been trying to post a comment from ur kerala sambhar post,but iam not lucky enough,as aoon as i clik the tab after writing the comment,i immedietely get"not responding" msg.today,i have a good luck to comment on ur blog.ur blog is really fantabulous,i can see ur comments in all the blogs i visit. u r really kind enough to comment on all the blogs.good job varsha.ur recipes are wonderful dear.u have varieties of recipes in ur blog,i've enrolled ur blog in my follow-up list:)do visit my blog at ur free time,hope u'll like mine too:)

Madhumathi said...

Oh my!!varsha,the bread looks simply superb..I have never tried baking bread at home..Now Im so motivated after seeing your ur bread..Very soon i will try it :)

sangeeta said...

super healthy n yum........the pics are awesome..

Priya said...

Bread looks really amazing...u might have enjoyed baking na:..

Happy cook said...

The bread looks yumm.I too make bread here at home but then mine is finished o 3 days as we have bread for brakfast and also for dinner.

TBC said...

Thanks for visting my blog. Your comment there brought me here.
That's one gorgeous loaf you've baked! :)

Pravs said...

congrats on the awards ! loaf of bread looks lovely.Miss seattle and spring time there :(

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

my god! did u bake it? looks very professional Varsha. good job. i tried to comment on this post yesterday.. but the page loaded so slow due to net problem here. the comment box did not laod at all.

Smitha said...

bread looks so yum and true as you said, I never go back to store bought stuff after baking my own:)

Shama Nagarajan said...

looks lovely dear....send me that slice....how do u feel now?

AnuSriram said...

Looks lovely.. It is tempting me so much... will give it a try! I'm not really good in baking breads ;D

mathew said...

this one looks just like typical german bread..if bread is freshly baked from the oven..i dont need anythin to go with it...i can eat a loaf just like that..;-P

Ashwini said...

Wow healthy bread..Great recipe varsha..We use mostly whole grain..This looks even more healthier..

Usha said...

What a wonderful healthy bread, loved the idea of making bread using sour cream, definitely a must try !

Varsha Vipins said...

Glad that I could be of a motivation to many of you to bake..Am waiting to see breads all around Blogosphere..:D

Divya Vikram said...

Lovely crusty bread!

Haddock said...

Must show this to my wife as she is very much into baking breads now a days.

 
Creative Commons License
Will-O'-the-Wisp is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
.