Monday, March 30, 2009

Savory Rosemary - Cheddar Bread...!!!





Rosemary Cheddar Bread

Heylooons one n all..Hope you all had a blast on weekend..:) We had lots of sun on Sunday,though a chill wind was blowing hard all the time.It was so good to see the bright n warm sun after so long time.. :).. We went to downtown , aquarium n Pike Place Market.Roamed all through the town like nomads,exploring every nook n corner n climbing every step of Seattle downtown..:P..Whole town was bright n pretty with all sorts of colors everywhere..n people enjoying n basking in sun.All had happy faces n were apparently enjoying the long awaited sun.. :)

Actually we had this big map of whole Seattle,n was following it n going to all places,amidst of which,we lost our way several times.But that never really matters ,as there is something or the other to see everywhere..:) Aquarium was so superb n I got to touch n feel some Star fishes n soft n slimy Sea Urchins n spiky fishes..There were so many other interesting n gorgeous things to see n by the end of it,we were like tired of pretty fishes..he he..:p ..The day was so hectic,n by evening all our limbs n legs were aching hard n eyes all tired.On reaching home,we just slumbered into bed..Aaaahh..Thus ended a busy fun day.Two days I took complete break from Blog,n now my reader is like overflowing with more than 50 posts.I am still so tired n feeling sleepy..Yawwwn..Sorry dears...I'll definitely catch up with you all,but do give me some time.. :)


Rosemary Cheddar Bread


..So as I promised here is my Savory Rosemary Cheddar Bread..To be honest,this is the best bread I have ever tasted in my life.Not only among the ones I have baked(This is just my 3rd bread..),but also out of all the ones I have tasted from shops n restaurants..I got the essential nudge to bake this from Ashakka's Asiago loaves. I was so tempted by the intriguing combination of cheese n aromatic herbs.Thanks Ashakka..
I always prefer spicy n savory food to sweet stuffs..So last week,I got hold of some Rosemary,(about which I have ranted in my last post) n combined it with some Cheddar n pepper flakes and baked this bread,n it turned out to be super yummy.. :)..Usually our bread lasts for a week.But this one was finished in 4 days..I made a Broccoli soup (coming soon..:).. )n this bread croutons soaked in the warm,creamy soup tasted heavenly..:)

Rosemary Cheddar Bread

This time,unlike my usual Fully Whole wheat bread,I have added a little of AP n white Bread flour to this one,to make it slightly light n airy.But there is lotsa WW n Oat meal n nuts n grains in this..So No worries.. :)

You need:

1.5 cups Whole wheat flour

1 Cup White Bread flour

1/2 cup AP flour

1/2 cup Oat meal(If you find the flour mix not comfortably dry,add some more oat meal..I dint have to,though)

2-3 Tbsp of Minced Garlic

1 Tbsp or more of Chilli Pepper Flakes as per you like

1/2 cup Shredded Cheddar n some more to sprinkle on top (Use any cheese which is not too moist)

A bunch of Fresh Rosemary leaves (Adjust the quantity as per your taste n liking)

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/3 cup milk

1 Tbsp honey

1/2 cup warm water

1/2 cup Sour Cream

1 1/4 teaspoons salt

1/4 cup Olive oil

1/3 cup of a mix of Flax ,sunflower n Sesame seeds(optional)

1/4 cup of crumbled Walnuts(optional)

1 packet dry yeast(I used Fleichmann's Extra rise Active dry yeast)


Rosemary Cheddar Bread




Method

In a large bowl combine water n sour cream n MW water for 40 secs.You finger should be comfortable when inserted in the mix.Thats the level of hotness we need.

Add yeast and keep it aside till it foams.Some 10 mins..Fleichmanns active dry yeast foams fast.

After that add the milk,honey,salt and olive oil into it and stir lightly .

Meanwhile,heat some olive oil and add minced garlic.Saute well till raw smell goes.Switch off heat and add chilli pepper flakes and mix well.

Sift/mix flours,baking soda,seeds n nuts n craisins, and the garlic-pepper mix and combine.

Make a well in the centre,and add the wet mix and stir until combined into a sticky mass.

Take it out and keep it on a clean work surface and knead it for 6-10 minutes to form a smooth dough.

Flatten it slightly n add a mix of cheese n rosemary on the center.Roll again to cover n knead for few minutes.

Oil the large bowl ,put the dough inside n flip to cover all sides of the dough with oil.

Cover it with a paper towel,and keep it aside for an hour to double.In cold countries,keep it inside a slightly preheated oven or oven with the inside light on.

After an hour take the doubled dough and lightly knead ,divide into two balls.

Place it in a greased parchment paper inside the loaf pan.Keep it back inside the lit oven for an hour or more ,until the dough doubles again.

Make gashes on top of the balls,sprinkle some cheddar n pepper flakes over it.

Now preheat the oven to 350 F n bake the bread for 35-40 mins.(it took me only 35 minutes)

To check if the bread is set,knock it on the bottom side .It should sound hollow.(Dont over bake)

Take the bread outside and butter the outside crust to prevent it from going hard.

Cool it slightly,cut into slices and indulge.. !!

Note:

3.5 cups of all the flours gave me 2 yummy aromatic breads.Adjust the quantity as per your need.. :)

I added lil more chilli pepper flakes during kneading to give a kick.

Always use minced ginger,not paste.Its yum to get the bites in between.

The bread was light n slightly airy ,even though I added 1.5 cups of WW flour.If you want it more light n with lots airpockets,increase the amount of AP flour,compromising the health part a bit.

Rosemary Cheddar Bread

We had a yummy breakfast the next day , with some french toasts made out of it.. :)

Hope you all will try n love 'em as much as I did.. :)

Check out my other healthy breads n bakes
..n this yummy bread goes to Susan's Yeast spotting.. :)


This pink Beetroot pachadi goes to FIC-pink of Priya,started by Sunshinemom



..n this Mulakooshyam ,in sweet memories of my late grand mom,goes to Sanghi's FIL- Tomato



..n this Palak Chole goes to MLLA-9th helping of Well Seasoned Cook Susan hosted by Lauri of Mediterranean Kitchen



Have a great week ahead.. :)
Hugs
peluk
StumbleUpon

69 Luv'ly people shared their views..:

Vrinda said...

Thanx for for ur comments on my cake..Bread looks so perfect ,adipoli photo..

Sakshi said...

I feel like belly dancing (nopes have never done it before) after seeing ur pics...don't know why ..guess the pic with all the setting reminds me of Arabian Nights. The pic itself says - Eat me am the yummiest bread!! Wow U r a baker too..
Seattle is all sunny and u scared away the rains to Boston..its been raining here since friday..not that am complaining..love the romantic sound..mmm
Hope you didn't bring back some starfish or others from the aquarium to ur kitchen???

Bharti said...

The bread looks lovely Varsha. You set it up so beautifully. We visited Seattle a coupl eof years ago and I adore Pike's place. The shop there Le Panier had the most amazing cappuccino and bread. There was also this cheese shop next door I think and they had the most amazing smoked flagship cheese.

Asha said...

Oh, that loaf looks gorgeous, love the combo Varsha. I love Rosemary. I have a herb pot full of Rosemary etc and whenever the mail woman passes by the garage, she says it smells so good! :D
We had a great weekend too, weather was great although it rained a bit on Sat. I saw 3 good movies in all, will review. When I post on Wednesday, make sure you read the last paragraph, it was so funny!;D

Last photo with breakfast slice is so yummy.

Usha said...

Bread looks lovely ! Your post brought back memories of Seattle, I was there last year and had lots of fun at the Pike Place Market :-)

Helene said...

Oh my, I'm looking at your bread and I admire it. Beautiful. I'm thinking of visiting Seattle soon. What a charming city.

Priya said...

Bread looks gorgeous, Last photo makes me hungry...Varsha thanks for sending the beetroot pachadi for FIC, i was thinking that you have forgotten about me, but u didnt...hehe.BTW i love the rosemary n chedder cheese combo..

Pooja said...

Bread looks delicious....nice pics and the breakfast slice is tempting....

5 Star Foodie said...

Yummy bread with rosemary and cheddar!

Lavanya said...

bread looks delicious varsha..i like your photos backgroung color..very lovely..i need to try atleast one bread recipe from yours..looks very yummy:)

Superchef said...

lovely bread!!! looks like u had a great time during the weekend...we were busy too but mostly cathing up with friends n attending dinner n happy hour et al...:)

Divya Vikram said...

Lovely crusty bread! Love the rosemary and garlic in it. Bookmarked in my bake list!

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

Just parcel those beauties and send by mail.. i will be happy :) lovely presentation varsha... great clicks..

Vibaas said...

Varsha, bread looks perfect. all your other entries are super yummy too. i like the palak chole so much :)

Preety said...

another gr8 bread recipe ..i will surely try one of your recipe as i m planning to bake bread at home from now..no more store boughts:)

Reeni♥ said...

The bread looks so delicious! I love rosemary and garlic! I would love to make this some time. I don't think it would last long in my house either! So yummy-yum!

Vani said...

Rosemary and cheddar- a lovely combo, Varsha! Beautiful clicks too!

Sara said...

I just love cheese bread! I make a great beer and cheddar bread.

Sanghi said...

Mmmm.. Varsha, that's an array of cool and colourful entries..! Delicious pyffy bread, Bright beet pachadi, Tasty dhal, spicy chole..! Oh, u rock!!:)

Cham said...

Seeing those lovely seafood creatures, did u thought why we are eating those pretty creatures? he he kidding, i never thought but my husb does :(
The first pic is simply romantic! The bread is gorgeous!

Priti said...

You have put so many pics only to make us drool rite?? looks so awesome...and lovely pics gal :)

Suparna said...

Hi varsha,
it was lovely to read abt ur weekend prg, eeks u touched a star fish!wasn't it a creepy n slimy thing?;) aquarium visit is a great feast to eyes :) and my my...u r dishing out such wonderful bakes :) looks absolutely fab! nice entries too!
enjoy n tc.

Trupti said...

wow Varsha that loaf looks very delicious..lovely photos ..Now you became perfect baker too ..good

Deepa Hari said...

Seems like u had a busy weekend....it was snowing at our place...bread looks lovely...can smell the aroma of rosemary....nice clicks Varsha....mine is the normal digital camera da...Like ur birchwood bowl too.

Ashwini said...

Wow so yummy..contains all the goodness in it. Yummy breakfast plate.. Nice pictures Varsha..Very tempting.

Smitha said...

MMmmm warm bread. Perfect varsha. Btw, dont remember if i congratulated you on your win in the photo contest. Keep it up:)

Priya Sriram said...

Lovely bread Varsha! :)
Pictures are so awesome that I couldn't take my eyes off!

Sig said...

Glad you got to enjoy the sunshine Varsha... :)50 unread items? That's nothing girlie, my reader has 1000+, yep after it hits 1000, they don't even bother counting, just shows the count as 1000+ :) Oh and that bread looks delish!

Varunavi said...

Bread looks lovely and photos are excellent.

RAKS KITCHEN said...

Looks gorgeous and as usual ur pics are outstanding!

Arch said...

Lovely looking bread...Its fun to read your posts :) Must've tasted awesome...it looks so good...your pictures do a lot of justice to all the yum stuff u make...

sangeeta said...

this is another of your recipes i am going to try very soon......looks so yum.... n healthy too.......rosemary is really mood elevating.......but the leaves here are smaller...
you picture setting is perfect...

LG said...

Heyloon dear! Bread look gorgeous. Your pictures managed to make me feel hungry after a heavy lunch :D

jayasree said...

Gorgeous bread and lovely presentation. Great entries for all the events.

Keerthana said...

Lovely spread..nice clicks..i too prefer spicy and savory to sweet stuff anyday!

Akal's Saappadu said...

I see that you had a wonderful weekend, visiting places....
broccoli soup and cheddar bread croutons , yummm, that sounds delicious and warm!

Madhumathi said...

Oh my god..The bread looks fantastic..I could imagine how great it would have tasted..French toast made with this cheese bread looks awesome!
Very nice presentation and b'ful picss :)

Happy cook said...

Wow that is a beautiful, flavourful and yummy bread .

AnuSriram said...

Wow... thats so nice and perfect! Gr8 work! Must have tasted heavenly!

Ann said...

Professional bread Varsha..loved the presentation too..happy that you are enjoying with the weather.!!

Poornima Nair said...

I love your pics Varsha...the bread looks awesome, love those streaks of cheese in between...that french toast is wonderful!
Hope you feel rested now, after that hectic weekend:)

Rajee said...

I love ur pictures. So awesome bread and wonderful toast. Great work. I can taste it heavenly. I couldnt find my previous comments in ur blog. I was searching it for long time. I think some politics about other bloggers who dont give their comments. I'll visit u often.

myspicykitchen said...

nice presentation... bread looks crusty and must have tasted delicious

Mangala Bhat said...

wow ! U R a perfect baker :) good ....:)
love all the pics :) awsome .Thanks for the recipe
Hey Thanks for all the comments at my blog :) Keep visiting
Thanks dear

Vishali said...

Oh what a lovely bread Varsha...I am just drooling ! :D. Thanks for sharing.

Suma Rajesh said...

nice and lovly presented bread...mouthwaterin snaps.

Meenal Mehta said...

the bread looks gorgeous Varsha ..awesome pics:)

Varsha Vipins said...

Thanks everyone..I am kinda sick since sometime n so couldnt reply you promptly..thanks for all your comments n as I always say,love u all for the time n patience..Yup,I had a grt yet tiring weekend n Sakshi,hope you made a mini quake at Boston with all that belly dancing..:D..
Cham,Same pitch..All hubbies are kind when comes to any other things other than their wives I guess..lol..:D
I guess I really scared away the rain clouds to everywhere from here..Ashakka..thanks n I cant wait for the post..:)
I am so glad you all liked the pics...I am trying to improve, seeing your wonderful comments every time..
..n few of you have promised me to try this..I am eagerly waiting to see if you like it as much as I did or more..:)they are sure yumm..:).n shoot me with any doubts you got..ofcourse about this only..he he..:) hugs,

A_and_N said...

Just love the bread, Varsha. Brilliant. Will try it soon.

Elra said...

THis is such an interesting recipe, sounds really tempting.
Cheers,
elra

Vicky Xavier. said...

Bread looks so good. Glad to know that u guys had a wonderful weekend. Enjoy a lot dear. Have a wonderful month.

VIDYA VENKY said...

varsha bread looks soo yummy..have taken few recipes from ur blog gonna try them one by one..its soo nice baking

Soma said...

That looks too good!! A lot of stuffs went in there.. love the garlic & cheese with rosemary. I have not used oatmeal to bake a bread yet, neither did i use baking soda & yeast together!! Love the spread on your slice too.

veggie belly said...

yum yum! i love rosemary in bread. yours looks gorgeous. id feel less guilty about eating this one because of the whole wheat and oats :)

Selba said...

Wow..the bread looks gorgeous!

Valarmathi said...

Bread looks lovely. Nice pictures.

Vandana Rajesh said...

Hi varsha , lovely bread. This is so tempting dear. The other day had a stuffed bun at a bakery here. Very soft bun with a yummy chicken filling. Would love to hear of any recipe that you have on a chicken filled bun.

Vandana Rajesh said...

Lovely very tempting bread varsha. Had a chicken filled soft bun the other day at a bakery here. Would love to learn to bake one of those if you do make stuffed buns.

aquadaze said...

love the bread! and lovely snaps as alwyas!

Make the Impossible...Possible said...

Varsha, Yummy colorful bread!!! Tempting in fact..

Good that you had a blasting weekend in aqua...with your sea friends..slimy..yuck!!!

Hope you are fine now...up and shining for the next post....

Premyscakes said...

loaf of bread looks awesome varsha. nice click too.

vidhas said...

Varsha, Hope you had a blast in the weekend. Bread looks yummy. I donn't know how to bake and i don't have ovne too.Can u please pass that.

Chitra said...

want to taste a piece,looks fantabulous,awesome pics:)

Hema said...

Lovely bread! very tempting to take a piece.and lovely pictures Varsha! Takecare!

Sujatha said...

those are neat shots! Love your presenation of the bread..

And I have an eye on your Palak-Chana! Sounds so interesting.. bookmarked..:)

Ana Powell said...

Hi Varsha
All your work is really outstanding
Beautiful x

DEESHA said...

that looks sooo delicious

Susan/Wild Yeast said...

Wow, this is a very interesting combination of ingredients and it looks beautiful!

Mary said...

Your bread has amazing color. I can imagine how good it must be to taste.

 
Creative Commons License
Will-O'-the-Wisp is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
.