Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Nadan Chemmen/Konju Roast (Kerala Prawns Roast)...!!!

* Winner of Indian Cooking Knol-edge contest conducted by Google n Sanjeev Kapoor *



Hey all..My thumb is doing better now n thanks for all your concerns and comments..Some( kenyit) even told me that knife is not for kids..duh!!..well.. ihikhik ..that was my first minor/major accident in kitchen.But gladly it relieved me of the monotonous n much-hated kitchen/plate cleaning job for 2 days.. :D..yeah..every cloud has a silver lining.. :D

I have got a nice number of yummy entrees for the RFRU event,thanks to you all..I'll post the round-up by this weekend..So stay tuned..!!



Coming to today's recipe..I have always proclaimed my true love for Prawns/shrimp right?n this is my favorite prawn preparation.n this is one of the most-liked dishes of my sweetheart.He just goes ga-ga over this dish n would go for an extra serving of rice.So we always have a pack of shrimp ready in our freezer.My favorite combo is Hot rice,Sambar ,pickle n this prawns roast..Trust me..Its such a yummilicious combo..lapar

Now,some us are really scared that prawns/shrimp is not good for health..cholesterol,calories etc etc..But see..


Prawns and shrimps are an extremely good source of protein, yet are very low in fat and calories, making them a very healthy choice of food.

Although shrimps and prawns have a high cholestrol content, they are low in saturated fat, which is the fat that raises cholesterol levels in the body and is bad for you. For this reason, there is no need to avoid eating shrimps or prawns, as the cholesterol in the food is not the same as the cholesterol in one's blood.

Meat and dairy products are also sources of protein but they tend to be very high in calories and saturated fat. A 4 oz (115 g) portion of shrimps contains almost half the recommended daily protein needed but only contains 112 calories and less than 1g of fat.

Shrimps and prawns do contain a lot of omega-3 fatty acids, but these fatty acids are good for you and help prevent against heart disease, circulatory diseases and many other types of illnesses.

Prawns and shrimps also contains high levels of vitamin B12, zinc, iodine, phosphorous, potassium, selenium and iron and have smaller quantities of calcium,magnesium,and sodium.

Many of these vitamins are essential for healthy skin,bones and teeth.



So thats it..now you no longer need to have any guilt feeling n can indulge in the gastronomical pleasures offered by this succulent sea food.. :) ..We do have it once in a week n I guess prawns is like chicken,as we can dish out endless varieties of palate-appealing tastes from it.All the cuisines offer it.




Back at home,Mom used to make mainly Theeyal n Pacha-aracha curry (recipes coming soon) ,as they will make a main dish for rice.But once in a while ,I'll start fussing for this,n she'll make this to make me normal.. :P ..I guess this is one of the my first-tried dishes.. :) ..I dont like the tartness of Cocums much,unless its a fish curry.So I do with a simple tomato.But I did once make a Shrimp Mappas with Cocum.I have seen some Thattukada recipes,where it calls for almost similar ingredients,but a lot more simplified method,so as to do with the bulk.There they have'nt used any tamarind/cocuum.But I recently saw Maria's drool-worthy pic n recipe of the same dish here,where she has added cocums.n I bet it tasted yummy.. :)

So enough of the shrimpy talk..Lets come to the recipe..Am getting lazy here ..So I'll make it one go.. :)

We are not going to cook prawn separately.They are going to get cooked inside the gravy.. :)

Heat Oil in a Kadai,Add 3 cloves,1 inch cinnamon, and 2 cardamoms and saute till fragrant.

Add 1 tsp Mustard,1 tsp Fenugreek , 1 tsp fennel seeds ,3 dried Red chillies n saute for a minute.

Add a lot(with capital L) of curry leaves n some Coconut slices(u'll get the frozen ones in Indian grocery stores) and saute nicely,till the slices turn a shade of golden brown.

Throw in 1 Tbsp minced ginger n 1 Tbsp minced garlic (Make fresh ones..)

Saute till the raw smell goes.

Add 2-3 cup of shallots(onions) and 4-5 slit Green chillies.Sprinkle salt.

Saute till they are soft n mushy.

Add a medium sized Tomato chopped into cubes.Saute till soft.

Now make a paste (with lil water n vinegar) of 2 Tsp Chilli Powder,2 tsp coriander powder,1/2 tsp Turmeric powder,1 tsp Pepper powder , and add this to the pan.

Saute n saute till the oil appears on sides.

Now throw in the cleaned,de-veined 1 lbs of Prawns/shrimp and mix withe gravy.

Saute till the prawns turn a shade of pink.

Simmer and close the kadai.No need to add water,as our prawns will release it.

let it cook for some 10 minutes under low heat.Don't over cook or prawns will go hard.

Now open the lid,make heat high and stir .Sprinkle 1 tsp Garam Masala( cinnamon,cloves,cardamom,fennel,mace powdered) on top and saute to mix.

Mash some curry leaves in 1 tsp Oil and add it on top.

Throw in chopped cilantro too.

Close the lid and let it sit for an hour to let the flavors get set.. :)



Enticing Kerala Prawns delicacy is ready to dig into .. :) ..You can take that top most popping-out prawn ok? kenyitkenyit
..n did u like my pics?These are my fav clicks till date .. :)..So thought of sending it to the Magnificent click event of Gayathri .. :)


..n the Sweetie pies Shama n Deepa passed me this award




,which states that :
"These blogs are exceedingly charming. These kind bloggers aim to find and be friends. They are not interested in self-aggrandizement. Our hope is that when the ribbons of these prizes are cut, even more friendships are propagated. Please give more attention to these writers. Deliver this award to eight bloggers who must choose eight more and include this cleverly-written text into the body of their award."

Now the difficult part is I have to pass it to only 8 bloggers,How in the world am I gonna do that..choose just 8..gigitjari
But I have to..So passing this on to:

Sakshi

Manju

Cham

Akal

Usha

Madhu

Yasmeen

Sanghi

Sangeeta

Hema

,not that rest of the blogs are not sweet n yum..All you guys rock ..!! StumbleUpon

58 Luv'ly people shared their views..:

Sakshi said...

So it was a prawn full of net you trapped your hubby with haa?? ipoyalle guttans pidikitiyathu..I was just making up notes of what to cook from your blog this week and here you go and post yet another recipe. Gal think of lesser mortals like us who cook to save our marriage!! Prawns are my fave too but since I came here I get lost after seeing all the varieties in the freezer section of the supermarket. Suggest which one should I buy and one which need not be cleaned too as I have no idea abt cleaning up any kind of fish!! I am drooling at the pics...its looking so yummy that I wanna rush out and get a packet of those lovely curled up things right now...911 me abt the one I need to buy will ya?

Dershana said...

ente koche, ingane paavam gerbini pennungale kothi pidippikkallu ketto :-(

I've been so craving for prawns and just not finding fresh ones at the nearby supermarket. Now, you make me yowl with that purrrrrrrfect picture and recipe!

Resh said...

nalla nadan chemmeen roastum, chorum, moru currym is my fav combo :D ...i dont mind even if i dont have moru curry...i will manage with jus chemmeeen roast n rice :D ....very nice click!

Asha said...

Very very cool photos. First one is stunning. I made a Shrimp Moily dish today too, love this one. Usually I don't buy seafood but I am trying to cook more seafood these days. Gorgeous one! :)

Superchef said...

looks just gorgeous, varsha!! loved the photos too...are those the new props you bought from world market?? pretty sweet :) n thanks dearie, for the award..enjoy yours!

Priya said...

Awesome clicks...just ur pics makes me hungry Varsha..congrats on ur awards...

5 Star Foodie said...

I'll take that prawn! Looks so yummy! Congrats on your award.

Deepa Hari said...

Congrats dear...Awesome clicks...I love prawns curry Varsha...i am not a great fan of seafood but prawns is the only exception...been a while since i made them...i am drooling now.

Cham said...

Oh gal u make me turn again fully non-vege... I am belonging to ur group who love/adore prawns but not my better half and kid!Do u see ur screen little wet babe! I am drooling! Congrats and thanks u to share ur award with us :)

Yasmeen said...

drool worthy pictures.yep, shrimp have a bad rap for increasing cholesterol,but its goodness certainly outweighs the fatty dairy foods and besides cooking it up this delicious with loads of spices should even out any increase in cholesterol:)

Yasmeen said...

And thanks for passing the lovely award,those kind words mean a lot:)

Varsha Vipins said...

Sakshi baby..I'll mail u in detail.. :D

Dershana..Run n get some prawns dear..I am scared u'll curse me.. :P

Resh..yeah yeah..orkkumbozhe kothiyavunnu.. :D

Manju..no..that will come in another episode.. :D

Thanks Priya n 5 star foodie.. :)

Asha..yeah..loved ur Molee.. :)

Deepa..thanks da.. :)

Cham.. OMG..I have been getting so many comments abt last post n now this,all of you thinking I made a feast with ma injured thumb.. :D ..neva neva ..All these are drafts ..infact I am not cooking anything pic-worthy since a week ..I am scared that I'll be empty soon .. :-S

Trupti said...

I never tried prawns in my life but your dish looks very delicious Varsha.

Poornima Nair said...

My mouth's watering Varsha...that is soo tempting...beautiful pic...

n33ma said...

Good to know that your hand is better,when I first started cooking I would have cuts or burns on my hands everyday..
shrimp looks delicious and the pic is very well captured!

Mishmash ! said...

prawn is my fav too and ur dish makes me hungry for more! :)

Divya Vikram said...

Hi Varsha. You have a neat blog here. First time here. Love your writing style and pictures. Prawn looks too appetizing.

Athisaya said...

And Varsha, i feel pepper is overpowered by the other spices in this dish. So I feel it would not be appropriate for the event. Waiting for some other dish of yours for the event!

Vicky Xavier. said...

U are extremely good at doing these fish dishes. your pictures will make everyone fall in love with those chemmen. Good job dear.

Suma Rajesh said...

adipoli naadan chameen roast..onnu evidee kudutte..i too love to have them wit hot rice...vere onnum vedda..superb...congrates on ur awards..

Helene said...

Beautiful pictures it makes me want to try your meal.

Ramya Bala said...

hey varsha...I luv this recipe...and i think u r the right person to ask :)...if u have any recipe with dry shrimp..post it ma...i bought a big bag,and just have one recipe with that :(

Selba said...

Wow... it absoluty looks so delish! *drooling*

aquadaze said...

gosh varsha, this looks absolutely delicious! and the first snap is great.

Soma said...

That shrimp, the picture & the recipe - everything here rocks! I am like u, I like shrimp so much that I can find a millions things good against one bad:-) I will definitely make this sometime. I can imagine how delish it's going to be just seeing what went in there.

Ashwini said...

That looks really yummy Varsha..The photos are making them even tempting..Lovely Photos..Congrats on your award..

A_and_N said...

I am a vegetarian but the pic sure looks tempting :)

Smitha said...

Yummo! Unfortunately, I rarely make prawns becos my hubby is allergic to them and I'm not that into cooking for just me:)

Sharmila said...

My!What lovely snaps Varsha! Love shrimps/prwans anyday ... and if am making only for myself I have them plain fried. This recipe is for keeps. :-)

A_and_N said...

The pics are gorgeous. And being a vegetarian, am droolig over your prawns :)

Arch said...

Hey Varsha, thanks for dropping by...you'll love Parsi food, its amazing - i like the spices in it, fragrant and mild. Your prawn curry looks so amazing...I have to go get some !!

Maria said...

amazing pics dear...this preparation is completely new to me but looking at the pics and ingredients, am sure its a great one. Will give it a try sometime...and prawns is my fav too and hey thanks a lot for linking me :)

Premyscakes said...

wow looks so inviting and tempting too.

Madhumathi said...

Hi Varsha,Wowwwwww..The pics are lovely..I can't take my eyes off..Great job!!
I don't eat prawn but your pictures make me drool..
Congrats,dear..A big hug and thanks for passing the award to me :)

Sanghi said...

This looks lovely.. Tempting delight.. ! Congrats on the lovely award varsha, and thanks a lot for passing on to me! Pick ur awards from my blog :)

Madhumathi said...

Hi Varsha,Wowwwwww..The pics are lovely..I can't take my eyes off..Great job!!
I don't eat prawn but your pictures make me drool..
Congrats,dear..A big hug and thanks for passing the award to me :)

Priya Sriram said...

Thats good to know you are doing fine! :)
Congrats on the award! and those pictures look soooooo inviting dear! Eventhough I'm not a big fan of prawns, it tempts me to grab one from the picture! :D

sangeeta said...

hey you are doing wonders with your camera........i love prawns n these authentic kerala style one ....i have to try them....

thanks dear for passing the award...feels good.

Kitchen Flavours said...

Wow spicy and yum.....

Sakshi said...

Varsha thanks for giving me my first award!! I am so overwhelmed and feel like I have got nothing less than an Oscar but am so emotional that forgot my acceptance speech!! So wait till I find my tongue back will u?? Thanks so much dear :)

Sara said...

This looks like a beautiful dish, prawns are one of my favorite things to eat.

Vani said...

That looks delicious, Varsha! Can't believe you're just 22 and are doling out these yummy numbers already! :)

Shama Nagarajan said...

am drooling here dear..lovely clicks..

mathew said...

waah this looks so tempting...rice..chakkakuru maanga curry and prawns roast is one of my favourite combinations..this looks every bit delicious...damn sometimes the pictures makes me request for a immediate parcel!!

AnuSriram said...

Good to hear that you are feeling better now.. Congrats on the award! U made wonderful clicks of the recipe...

Malar Gandhi said...

Looks good, like shrimps in any forms....

Adlak's tiny world said...

Take care dear.. yr curry is so colorful thats wat i can say for this NV dish... ha ha ha

thanks for passing cute award and congrats to u.

Priti said...

I guess it's telepathy...am here and you are at my blog :)...yes...it does help to get new recipes :)...prawn roast looks so gud..yummy...perfect one

Deepika said...

Lovely recipes! Thanks, Varsha, for visiting my blog and posting your kind note.

vidhas said...

Thank you for your lovley comments in Janani's blog, she is so exicited . Congrats on your award and you deserve it dear. :-) . Nice click , thats all i can see , since i don't eat non veg

Happy cook said...

I think i will have to stop comming ehre every time i come here you are torturing me with all the dleicius food i love and miss, this shrimp is yet another dish i love and adore and miss.

Akal's Saappadu said...

lovely clicks , my mouth is watering; will love that simply with some hot plain rice!! yummmmmm!

Reeni♥ said...

They look so delicious! I love shrimp! The flavors in here are tantalizing. Awesome pictures!!

Muneeba said...

Another post with really gorgeous pics, Varsha! And you know what, I appreciate the nutritional info about the prawns. Sometimes I'm too lazy to look it up myself, so it helps when someone else lays it out for me. Thks!

Sweta said...

Thanks for the comment Varsha.I love mushrooms in any form too :-)
I love your blog-esp the kerala recipes!!! I love kerala food-had a lot of friends back home and got to eat a lot of dishes. You know my fav is kappa and meen curry-it hasn't gone down well with my other friends,but I simply love it!! Will give this recipe a try-yup,even Dietitians need to indulge in the sinful dishes occasionally!!

sakshi said...

Just finished making it for tomorrows potluck...the whole home is smelling divine and I like this dish when it is left for a day to sit and the flavours to mingle....hmmm I am pretty sure the ladies will be falling in my meen vala after eating this one ;)

God I have lost count how many times I have given you a hit on this post?? Commission tha penne

Only Fish Recipes said...

first time in your space ...n I hav to say I'm already a huge fan of yours.....I hav some prawns in my freezer n I was wondering what to cook.....I would lov eto try out this recipe.....so bookmarking it ...I hav a space only on seafood recipes....do visit some yimes n let me know ur valuable comments ..glad to follow ur space her :-)

Neets said...

Hi Varsha,

This is the first time I have visited your blog and the credit goes to Nagalaskhmi! Anyways, you have a wonderful blog here, hats off to u! I just started a blog 3 weeks ago titled Neetu's Tasty Treats. The address is neetustastytreats.blogspot.com. I tried out your recipe and have posted it in my blog. Please do chk it out and the other recipes and leave your feedback. God bless!

 
Creative Commons License
Will-O'-the-Wisp is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
.