Friday, March 20, 2009

Mughal Biriyani n some mesmerizing memories..!!

Mughal Biriyani< UPDATE: Feed is updating now,it seems after some 7 -8 hours..n it has happened to some others too..:O

Hi..Hello..another weekend is here..Officially Google has proclaimed pompously the first day of spring n all,n I am hearing that many of you are already experiencing the bliss..Well..lucky you ..We are not yet blessed,its more than usual dark n raining here today n heard its going to be down pour on this weekend too..sniff..sniff..n ..some people thinks I am frozen crazy n needs some sun.. ;) he he..Not frozen actually..Drenched would be the apt word..n I see that Pappu has gained more attention than my pudding in the last post, I have passed on everything to him and now he is a proud barking pup.. :D

Coming to today's dish,a Mughal Biriyani,I have so many associated memories twirling inside my mind.Let me tell the courtesy first.This is a specialty of a restaurant called Kream Korner in our small Alleppey town,back in Kerala.I guess I have mentioned about this place in my posts before,as my favourite restaurant still,after being to so many exotic places. :) ..There was a feature about this restaurant n the food there in the last edition of Vanitha magazine,n they had given the recipe of their specialty dish,Mughal biriyani there.I am sure they might have not blurted out all the details and revealed their secret.The recipe was asking for some Garam Masala,n I guess that's where the secret lies,hidden.. :P..Ha..I was so pissed off that I dint have the finest quality Basmati rice with me..I did'nt quite know ,which one was the best,n I picked up one which was seemingly the best.But It turned out to be not what I expected. :(..Have to check out next time..Which one do you think is the best n buy for your kitchen??

I have so many loving n nostalgic memories associated with this place..Now this going to be a bit digressed.So all busy people,scroll down to the recipe.When we were kids,our most awaited month was December..you know why..That is when the grand Mullackal temple Chirappu(festival) of 7 days is celebrated with all color n galore.Mullackal is a long street ,stretched in almost 5 kms,n the holy temple there is for Devi (goddess).Usually,when our X'mas exams are finished,the festival would start,and the whole street would be full of colors.Street would be decorated n busy with street vendors,with colorful bangles,rings,ladies stuffs ,then toys n plates n eatery nooks and what not..!! I used to buy so many lil things like these ,not only me,all gals would n then when school reopens,we all would proudly show off their new collection to each other..My all colorful memories are associated with this festival.We'd just die for the exams to finish,n then all evenings,we would rush to have fun..It just like total rush,n there wouldn't be an inch space in the street.Tourist's come to Alleppey in masses at this time.People walk all the way back n forth through the busy street,trying out n buying things from shops,eating fresh fried Bhaji's n pakoda's,and enjoying all the color around(This is the most fun time for guys,who get to see so many pretty gals at a time,without worrying about their dad n big bro's..he he).As for me,the best memory is the fragrance of hot popcorn's,the view of it spurting n popping out of the machine n filled into long plastic bags,still remains vivid in my mind.n also the picture of small bubbles floating all through the air(I used to fight with mom n dad for that small bubble maker,as they would refuse me, telling its for small kids)...During twilight time,the whole street would be lit with multi colored lights,n there would be these mixed noises of people,n kids' pom..pom's n the devotional songs n Ashtapadi's from temple,mixed fragrances of oil, Chandan,n popcorn n pakoda's, bubbles everywhere,n on the final night,colors in the sky too...Massive crackers would burst into the sky,producing so many colors that we would just yell out with joy..
At the end of the street,there is a nook n small entrance with the a board kream Korner,mostly unidentifiable for first-timers.But by the time you reach a Km away from the spot,the oh-so-tempting fragrance will hit you make your head turn towards it.Even though the entrance is almost hidden,once you reach inside its a vast space ,dim lit,with soft mellifluous tunes flowing from some unknown source, n full of mural n artistic paintings.At that time there were not much,but now they say it feels like you are more in an Art Gallery,than a hotel.This makes it the fav place of tourists and the tastes have no match.Everytime we kids use to fuss with our dad n mom to go there.Only problem was they took lil time to serve you,so that used to piss off the elders.But we were ready to wait for any long for the yummy food there.Honestly,I have not yet found any match for the Butter chicken they serve there.Many more in the list..Ha..all good ole' memories.Now no chirappu's n no gala's n no yum hot Bhajis or butter chicken's from KK..I am missing so many wonderful things..Now don't you think so?? December fun never ended there.On the final days of December there would be this Beach festival,starting at night n it goes on till early morning.We all ,cousins n elders n everyone,would go n sit on beach without any discrimination,n there would be these programs in stage.Famous singers n actors n all would come..Ganamela's(Concerts),dance, comedy shows...Non stop fun n none would even think of getting a wink of sleep..I still remember,even after Tsunami,there was beach fest,we went,all people were kinda scared ,still there was no end to fun.. :)

Mughal Biriyani


Woah..It went really loong..am sorry n thanks for being patient if you happen to go through it.Those are my most cherished n sweet childhood memories that I shared with you.. :) Lemme not waste more time n come to the recipe.But before that,


Muneeba of Edible Symphony has presented me with the Excellent Blog Award..Am so honoured..Thanks dearie.. :)
Am passing this on to all my blogger friends,its hard to jot down all your names,please take this after you comment me. :)

This dish,I guess is a new addition to their menu,as I have'nt had it from there.They used to have specials everyday n we used to go for those ,all the time.. :)

For Mughal biriyani of Ratnagiri people,as told in Vanitha,you need to:

Fry 1/2 cup of thinly sliced Onions,1 cup of of Cashews ,Raisins n 1 Tbsp Poppy seeds in ghee n keep aside.

Heat ghee+oil n add a ground mix of 1 inch ginger piece,3-4 large cloves garlic, 1/2 cup sliced pearl onions /shallots n 7 -8 green chillies into it n saute till raw smell goes.

Throw in 1 cup of sliced onions and saute till soft.

Throw in 1 cup of small pineapple cubes,a bunch of mint n cilantro,1 large tomato cubes,3 Tbsp yogurt,1 tsp turmeric powder,1 tsp Pepper Powder( I added 1 more tsp pepper and 1 tsp chilli powder to make it more spicy),3/4 cup fresh grated coconut,1 tsp Garam Masala n enough salt. Saute until the coconut is slightly browned.

Mix well ,saute for few minutes n add cleaned chopped 1.5 lbs chicken.

Saute well to mix the chicken with masala,transfer to cooker(if u did everything in pan),close the cooker and let the chicken cook.

Mean while in a heavy bottomed pan add ghee n roast whole spices(cloves,cardamom,cinnamon,bay leaves n curry leaves).

Add 1/2 C sliced onions,some cilantro+mint,1 tsp sliced pineapple, n salt.Saute well.

Add 2 cups of rice,fry for a minute,add double the amount water with a pinch of saffron and bring to a boil.

Simmer n close to cook.

When the rice is still lil moist ,remove it from heat and keep aside.

Take a big deep n hard bottomed pan and spread a layer of chicken masala.

Spread a layer of rice over it.

Sprinkle all the fried onions,poppy,nuts n raisins over it..Sprinkle a tad of Garam Masala or any biriyani masala u are using.

Spread rest of chicken gravy n rice over it and sprinkle some ghee over it.Close tight with a lid sealed with some Maida

If you are using oven like me,Place this vessel covered with a wet towel in oven n bake at 200 F for 45 minutes or more.

After the time,open n sprinkle on top with saffron n mix well.

Mughal Biriyani

Serve with raita ,pickle n pappad.I had some chicken gravy as side too.. :)
Verdict is :The taste is lil sweet n sour because of the addition of pineapple.Its not very spicy.I felt it in the first stage itself.So while cooking the chicken,I added lil more pepper powder and lil chilli powder too..So it was ok for me.Adjust it as per your taste.. :)



Have a happy bright n sunny weekend.. :)
Hugs
peluk
StumbleUpon

71 Luv'ly people shared their views..:

Sakshi said...

Chirappu festival...I was fantasizing a street full of shoes and sandals as damn me translated it directly to sandals...guess u were right after all my malayalam needs a big shaking up from the root...sobs!! By the way if you are going to Allepy this christmas book a ticket for me too will ya?

Wow is that birayani for real?? I love biryani and that is what I miss most..calicut biryani..yummy nothing like it..lol ok Ur kream takes the first place if u say so..But am a little apprehensive abt using pineapple in it guess will have to try making it without the fruit...I like mine spicy..The whole spread looks so inviting...when will u ever call me there gal to taste all this?
btw my regards to dear old pappu!!

Maria said...

the biriyani looks yum, kothiyavunnu :) I remember reading about it in Vanitha. Enjoyed reading your childhood memories...it reminds me of perunnal (festival) at my church, miss those days :(

Cham said...

That looks exotic ur biryani! I am coming tonight to ur house, keep some...
About The feed is http://foodworld.redchillies.us/ Suggest if ur name is not there.
Ur feed is not updated yet in my reader too... That could be a blogger bug..

Cilantro said...

I love Biriyani...and yours looks delicious. I have`nt tried many brands of Basmati available at the Indian Grocery. I always go with the Dawaat brand available at Costco.

Suparna said...

Hi Varsha,
Wow! that was an interesting read about festivals at ur native, not to forget the kk, it's so true that we fall in love with the taste of certain dishes at certain restaurants ..that particular taste is incomparable elsewhere :)
Hope u enjoy the spring soon :)
The spread looks superb, rich and am sure the Mughal biryani is a festival of flavour and aroma, Enjoy! nice snaps.
Happy weekend!
TC

Srivalli said...

Thats wonderful to read varsha...and great feast..looks awesome...you have not become officially a foodie!

Vicky Xavier. said...

Loved going thro each and every line about ur home town Allepey and the Chirappu festival. U brought my childhood memories up. Nothing can beat a festival following a hard exam time :)
Ratnagiri biryani with pineapple .. a notable recipe for me dear. Nice post. Love the whole spread. Happy weekend and great spring time dear.
Congrats and thanks for the award.

Lavanya said...

The biryani is awesome varsha..i am unable to off my eyes :)
nice pic n lovey rice..making me hungry..you made this today right..can i come over to taste :)
i always use dawaath longgrain rice from costco,i never tried other brands in other shops!!
happy weekend dear..i think tomorrow is sunnyday for us dear :)

Reeni♥ said...

I love hearing about your memories; the festivals sound like so much fun!
Your meal looks wonderful, I love everything you put into it, such great flavors.
I have your update now, just a few minutes ago, so do not worry! Once in a while this also happens to me and I'm not sure why, but it will usually catch up.
Congratulations on your award and thank so much for thinking of all us!

vidhas said...

Varsha, enjoyed reading. I also went to my chilidhood days ( in memory). Biriyani looks woderful. Awesome click, Congrats on your award, thanks for passing yo me :-D

Pooja said...

Wow biryani is awesome varsha....Nice pic...

5 Star Foodie said...

Your biryani is just delicious! I can see your feed in blogger ok! But I saw a lot of delays yesterday/today - I happened to go to one or two posts directly and then saw them 24 hours later in my reader!

Teresa Cordero Cordell said...

Thank you or stopping by my blog. You have a delicious looking dinner here. I love all kinds of rice and I think I would really enjoy this one.

Varunavi said...

Wow delicious biryani,i love malabar food,i
usually eat this in malabar rest here.

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

va re va......biriyani looks super rich and colorful. awesome pics too.

i am honored to receive this award from you varsha. thanks a ton! :)

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

your feed is getting updated in my reader.

Ann said...

Varsha,Thats was a fantastic read..But i missed that rest Kream Korner somehow..how is that dunno..Though not so familiar with Alleppey,I am well known to chirappu and mullakkal temple..I can guess how you feel as a native to write on that...
Btw,Varsha,when they give speciality dishes from res in vanitha,sure they are omitting something somewhere..ha ha ..afterall thats where the business is..But the Biriyani looks so rich justfying the Mughal origin..would like to have some..great effort Vasha..(today the feed is updated for me as well)

Sharmilee! :) said...

Wow biriyani looks tempting and appetising..!

Lavi said...

Your Briyani has come out so well..It would be nice, if you could send me some Veg Mughalai Briyani to RCI-LUCKNOW...

luckysanjana said...

I dont know what it is about biryani i cant seem to get enuf of it......got to do i guess with my south Indian roots..........im sure if they actually do a check on my genetic material theyll probably find it coded with fish and rice.............LOL........i love your presentation...............and hey i like cooks who talk while they cook..............it would be just another recipe otherwise.........

Divya Vikram said...

Had a great time reading about the festival at your place. Brings back nostalgic memories for me too.. Seems like a royal feast at your place. Can i invite myself over? lovely presentation and picture too Varsha..

Madhumathi said...

What a great post!I feel like being in Allepey streets enjoying the pakodas and air bubbles..You just took us there..We too have 'Car festival' for Chidambaram temple and the four temple streets are crowded during that time.I remember myself with my friends wandering in the streets,buying so many fancy stuffs from the little stalls :)
Briyani is looking so perfect and i could smell the aroma here..A perfect recipe to try this weekend :) In our home meat is not allowed,so i will replace chicken with veggies..
Nice presentation ..i love the briyani bowl ;)
Congrats for the award and thanks for sharing it with me :)

Priya said...

Varsha shall i come to ur place coz ur platter inviting me yaar..lol, its a real delicious rice dish, am just drooling rite now here, congrats on ur awards n thnks for sharing with me...

Shama Nagarajan said...

Varsha , am very much moved by ur post...wish to visit allepey very soon...and the restaurant......lovely click dear..yummy biryani...Congrats on ur award dear.....

Shama Nagarajan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Rachel said...

been to Aleppey many a times but never seen Kream Korner...the biriyani, raita and the papadams are divine

Yasmeen said...

Yum biryani,like the silky bg set up.Your feed seems to be ok to me,I got the update.The festival reminded me about the yearly exhibition in Hyd. with food n shopping galore.
And thanks Sweetie pie for the award:).You have a nice weekend :)

Asha said...

Varsha, it happened to me too last week, some of the blogs disappeared and I had to re subscribe them. I haven't seen this post as well, thanks for telling me. Google corrects itself after sometimes, don't try to do anything, just wait for a day or so.

Mughlai Biryani looks authentic and delicious. Enjoy the award and the weekend. Thanks for my award too! :))

Happy cook said...

I poted a new post yesterday and it didn't update in my reader untill today afternoon.

I love biriyani and this looks so yummy delicious.
Thankyou for the award and congrats.

Happy cook said...

Just checked my reader you page is updated there.

Chitra said...

Thanks a lot varsha for passing me this award:)Iam very happy!!mughal biriyani looks mouthwatering,pass the plate here:)

usha said...

Biryani.. mmmm... one of my favorites...

Vishali said...

mmhh delicious Mughlai Biryani ....gimme a plate full of it :D...... will definetly try this version of biryani...thank you for posting dear :).

Soma said...

Your biryani looks amazing! cannot look & i am sure taste any better than this. the most imp part of biryani is to have the rice cooked but separated & u did that!!

I use basmati rice from costco.. forgot what brand..elephant or kohinoor.. will have to check.. & i use sindhi biryani masala (SHan) for my biryani. Gorgeous pictures!! is that a silk saree?

i don't know if u fixed it, but i did see this in my reader... may be only a little late? i am getting the updates a little late for all blogs now.

& thanks for the award:-)

Ramya Bala said...

Looks yummy...and with sides feels like grabbing :)

Ushanandini said...

Biryani looks tempting! But gal, where is the chicken? You must have hidden under that biryani rice! ha ha!

Thanks for the support. She removed the thattai post and hid the comments' section.

Suma Rajesh said...

woo adipoli platter aanalloo...looks tempting

Adlak's tiny world said...

wow this biriyani looks tempting with fried onions, cashews and raisins... i can substitue Gobi instead of chicken lbz. will give a try this wk end ha ha ie tomrw dear. thanks for sharing.

notyet100 said...

hi varsha,
wish u hppy weekend
ur feeds r showin my reader so don worry,..:-)
biryani looks yum enjoyed readi ur stor too...

Ashwini said...

Wow Varsha..It was great reading the post..It brought back so many memories..Lovely and thank you for that. Biryani is making me nostolgic.. love biryanis..Looks so yum and delish..

Deepa Hari said...

Nice writeup Varsha...I have been to Aellepey...beautiful place...enjoyed boating in backwaters...Delicious biryani...we love it.

Laavanya said...

Congrats on your award Varsha and thank you for passing it on so generously.

Kevin said...

That biriyani looks good!

Priya Sriram said...

Varsha... Biryaani looks so inviting... Pictures are sooooo clear and very perfect dear! Thanks for sharing this recipe! :)

VineelaSiva said...

Hai Varsha

Wow nice biryani.Its very tempting to take the plate and eat.I like u the way of taking the fotos.Its really nice giving some ideas to me.Thanks for sharing the recipe.

vineelasiva

VineelaSiva said...

Hai Varsha

Wow nice biryani.Its very tempting to take the plate and eat.I like u the way of taking the fotos.Its really nice giving some ideas to me.Thanks for sharing the recipe.

vineelasiva

Resh said...

oru plate biriyaniiiiiiiiii parcel plz!

Malar Gandhi said...

Love Mughal preparations so much. Biriyani...count me in!:) Gorgeous spread, love it. Awesome clicks too...

Helene said...

Oh my, I love the presentation. This is beautiful.

aquadaze said...

looks absolutely lip smacking!! lovely read too!

Madhu's cooking gallery said...

Mouthwatering biriyani! wonderful presentation! Interesting to read abt the festival, nice to read your fun filled memories!

thanks for the award :)

Premyscakes said...

Omg!! really perfect biriyani, bookmarked it. Enjoyed reading your post.

A_and_N said...

We received your feeds! So :)

Love Biryani any form, anytime :D

Preety said...

thanks for passing me the award varsha

Poornima Nair said...

Looks like I'm the last one to comment...I feel so bad when this happens...The biryani looks fabulous, exactly like the resturant ones.
Enjoyed reading about the festival, have heard similar descriptions from cousins out there...sounds like so much fun. We miss so much being here.
Congrats on ur award and Thanks for sharing it with me...feels wonderful.

Uj said...

The pics are really tempting and mouth watering.. Biryani looks great.. Love to read your blog.. You share so many wonderful memories :) I have missed alot of your posts dear as I was busy shifting to a new house :D

LG said...

Slurrp! Biriyani looks tempting dear :) I am drooling over them now

Sonal said...

lovely read and delicious biryani!!! what a combo :)

Superchef said...

loved reading about the temple festival and all..made me all nostalgic!! loved the biryani too :) hope you had a good weekend!

Anonymous said...

temting recipe to try it out, i would like to know whether i should heat for more time or not after sealing the lid with maida. pls do let me know

Varsha Vipins said...

Thanks everyone for dropping by n sharing your views..Glad that you liked my memories n the yummy biriyani..:)..Guess I made some of you lil' nostalgic too..lol.. :p

Anony,Lower the temperature n you can keep on more.At 200 F you can keep up to 60 mins,w'out any issues I guess.I was busy to eat,n kept for 35-40 mins only..Hope you got it now..:)

Meenal Mehta said...

lovely pictures and I have to try this Biryani Varsha..it looks so good

Joie de vivre said...

Not yet spring here either, but it's coming! that rice looks yummy!

Maya said...

Oh wow,early morning am sitting and drooling at this biryani platter..You have presented it so nicely! Yumm..

Lakshmi said...

hey varsha ur pics are turning out to be very very good and professional.loved reading ur post on memories.yes it does brings me back some good old memories which I cherish a lot.ur Biriyani looks like the ones in hotels :)

Smitha said...

Hey Varsha,
Dieting thudangaam ennu vicharichaal sammathikilla alle:)
Now i have to try this stuff out and postpone my dieting plans.I love love biryani

AnuSriram said...

Lovely biriyani varsha! The pictures makes me drool!

Anonymous said...

i tried this biriyani and it came out superb, everyone in my family loved it and they want more. Hats off to u Varsha

Subhie Arun said...

Hey ur biryani look yummy..the name it self tempting to try.. have a wonderful..keep up ur gud workk...

Shabs.. said...

yumyum..hard to stop drooling...i love biriyani so much that i can have it for breakfast, lunch and dinner...U have become a real photographer too...:)....keep up the good wprk..The whole appearance of the dish looks like a part of 'Mughal empire'...

Shabs.. said...

And you are very much right about the recipes different chefs of restaurants provide in magazines....i always felt there is something missing in them, cos they always dont come out great as expected until unless we do certain amount of changes..:)Try tilda basmati rice and AKASH....i felt that AKASH basmati rice got more flavour than tilda ones...I have been using them for a while...Should get it from the asian stores there...

 
Creative Commons License
Will-O'-the-Wisp is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
.