Monday, March 9, 2009

Kerala Mutton Roast (Nadan Mutton Roast)...n some dreams...!!!


Its snowing heavy n hard now..All dark n dreamy..weekend was mostly dull,with some icy rain n slight snow and a sweet hubby down with slight cold.But mebe 'cos of all these, we sure did have some cozy time together,with lots of chit-chat.. :D..We sat down by our wall-length window pane with mugs of hot coffee n got all nostalgic,talking this n that.. :)

I guess dreams are those pretty stuffs,which keep us alive n kicking all through.I don't mean the deep night sleeps here(Ok..I should'nt be thaaat under-estimating you guys..:D).They are like bogus(of HP,but then not to terrify),sometimes take the shape of a chocolate fountain ,sometimes barbie shoes ,sometimes a brand new bike ,sometimes Mills n Boon's hero ,sometimes a pretty farm-home ..goes on n on.Mostly depending on your age n surroundings.. :P .. We both are people who just love to dream.gosh..Guess we have been fed with an over-dose of dream-potion or something..(yeah..too much HP..:D)We dream of all sorts of things.Going to all those places,where we have never ever been to(Last day we saw Mummy,n from then on we dream of seeing Mummies..:D)..Moving to a new cute home on the sides of a serene waterfront..etc etc..Some serious rest a lot of stupidities..Somethings that we know,might never come true kinds.But still we love to..n it changes too.His dream's are most spontaneous.So being absolute food buff's ,our latest dream is to start an Indian Restaurant..cool,no??Are you laughing?.The most funny yet serious part is,most of my friends here advices me the same,seeing my culinary adventures. :D..My mom plainly rejected my idea,saying they dint send me for Btech,to see a chef's hat on my head.Come on Mom..we both are not gonna cook anyway..duh!!
Anyhow,we dont cease to dream,n we still talks a lot of our wonderful yet dreamy ideas about it.. :D ..Then this funny thing happened.We love an Indian hotel here nearby.Atleast once in a week,we end up there for lunch/dinner.He got an acquaintance there,a Mallu,who is in some managerial post and aspires to start his own business soon.So last night we were having dinner there,n so my better half was telling me all in shush-shush..he's gonna be our partner n do note the tips n tricks they use n so on..I was giggling,..n then the owner came to pick up the bill..n seeing him he said,see our opponent ,with a stifled smirk.I couldn't control there,n I burst out laughing.The guy might have thought I am nuts or something..But then of course he doesn't know our dream,n the danger that lie ahead of him ..:D Hey,now don ask me when we are going to cut the ribbon n all..it just one of those light-weight dreams of us.. :D



So,as you are now pretty bored n tired with my non-stop bla bla's ,leme make u feel rejuvenated with this yummilicious Mutton roast,made in the very own authentic masala blend of God's own country Kerala.Its the one you would drool over,in those small Nadan hotel's.But I have made it in the most scrummy n elaborate way,so as not to compromise with the taste,even a bit.I have posted the Kerala Mutton Curry sometime back.. :)

The wooden thing u see in the back is,my latest much-loved possession(thanks to superchef who suggested me the shop.:) ).Its a spice box made of mango wood(looks rustic no),with twist -open circular draws,four of them,in which I keep chilli,coriander,pepper n Garam Masala powders..Saves space,looks good.. :) n the Kadai too I bought from there,not good for cooking I guess.But again I have this obsession(so much..) for crockery's now,that I ended up buying this,just for the looks..





Ok..recipe right?I have not forgotten it.. :)
Here you go.. :)

Heat oil in the cooker.

Add 2 cloves,1 inch Cinnamon,2 cardamoms,2 bay leaves n saute till fragrant.

Add lotsa curry leaves too..

Add 1 Tbsp Ginger paste n 1 Tbsp garlic paste n saute well.

Now throw in 1 lbs Mutton cleaned n chopped,pep it up with 1.5 tspoon Red chilli powder,1 tsp Turmeric powder and mix well.

Add some salt,1 tsp vinegar,some cilantro and close the cooker.

Meanwhile in a Kadai,pour oil and throw in 1 tsp Mustard ,1 tsp Fennel,n 1 tsp fenugreek seeds.Add 2 broken dry Red chilies too.

Add some 8-10 coconut slices n fry well.

Now add curry leaves n 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste ,saute well.

Now throw in 2 cups of Shallots n fry well in the kadai.Sprinkle some salt too.

Now add 1 large tomato cubed ,into the kadai.Saute till soft.

Meanwhile,open the cooker n slighlty reduce the gravy,if its too watery.

Into the Kadai,sprinkle 1/2 tsp Garam masala n mix well.

Now pour the Mutton with gravy into the kadai,mix well n keep closed for 5 minutes.

Open,add the cilantro n Sprinkle 1/2 tsp Garam Masala,1 tsp Sugar and cook till the desired dryness..

keep closed till use.. :)

Slurp..!!! I like it with lil gravy for rice,so have left so..Please feel free to roast and blacken it.


PS:I hear that some of you are facing some probs to comment on my page,sometimes page is not loading properly etc.I did reduce all the pic's size here to minimal kb's,n did clean up many junk stuffs too.Still I see some probs due to the linkwithin thing.As it so good a widget,I don feel like throwing it out..n pls leme know if you are also facing probs due to linkwithin(Almost all of us use it,no).So all my readers,pls be lil patient,cos even though its show a stuck for a moment,it get ok after 2 secs,n dont please skip commenting,as I eagerly wait to see them.Pls mail me if you have some serious issues.. :)
Hugs..<spanpeluk src="http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/6.gif">
StumbleUpon

44 Luv'ly people shared their views..:

Asha said...

That fry looks sooo dreamy, I want you to send it to now!! ;D

Snow and cuddling sounds good to me, that's how it should be, snow=romance=coffee=munchies!!HeHe. Enjoy.

Good luck with your HI. Job at home and out of home is equally imp. Whatever makes you happy is good for me. Hugs! :)

Superchef said...

cool..u used the kadhai and the spice box also!! :) and yeah, those are the kind of dreams that keep us going right? keep dreaming, girl!! Oops, almost forgot about your mutton roast..thats going in my to-do file!

Roopa said...

Varsha, adipoli introduction :) I found myself smiling at your amazing dreams :) You know I too used to secretly dream of starting a food business,.....what is there in dreaming? doesnt matter whether we have a BTech also, its freestyle hehehe, no limitations....I can imagine the look on your competitor's face :DD
Mutton roast nannayitundu, vayil vellam varunnu :) Hey that wooden spice rack looks awesome, I wish I had one like that, its indeed a space saver. never seen anything like that before.

5 Star Foodie said...

This curry sounds excellent! Love all the wonderful spices!

Cham said...

Ha ha , that reminds one restaur here, they opened 4 years back (all were Cisco employees) now they have opened two more in different places. The food is pretty much Tamilian style and they are managing well. Who knows, Degree doesn't matter only good luck...Nice recipe.

Poornima Nair said...

Wow...thats so tempting, just making me drool...
Aren't dreams that keep us goin...keep dreaming girl!

Reeni♥ said...

I love your dreams... what a funny and sweet story! I hope your dream comes true! I've never had mutton...it sure does look good!

Uj said...

ha ha ha.. loved your dream and can relate it to too... we keep saying that we will start a business soon here he he he...There is nothing wrong in dreaming right.. :D spice rack and kadai looks good..

Soma said...

Varsha can I come over? I promise I won't disturb the sweet two of u, not will I break your dreams ( dreams are good stuffs you know.. they keep you moving ahead. take your time dream all u can while u are only "two") ... I will only eat a plate full & leave.

Very nice post & recipe:-))

Deepa Hari said...

Nice post Varsha...Dreams r the ones that keep us going right...we all keep dreaming...Wish your dream comes true....Lovely curry...looks great.

Madhumathi said...

Varsha...
I never miss out reading your write-up..Don't say its bla-blah..You are not only good at cooking n clicking but also in writing..
I don't eat mutton but the pictures make me drool dear..I have my eye on your new wooden spice box ;)
And gurl,don't stopping dreaming..your dreams are so sweet n positive and I wish they must come true :)

Shama Nagarajan said...

hai dear.......may your dreams come true......nice read with a lovely inviting recipe

Akal's Saappadu said...

enjoyed reading your dreams and restaurant anecdotes and the mutton roast looks absolutey yummy, the kerala touch is there with the fried coconut pieces in the ingredients, yummmm!

And it's better to have some dreams than having nothing at all, like ambitions or plans make us grow higher and higher; life would be so boring if we content with what we have, wouldn't it be?

Managing a restaurant, why not? after all, all that matters is some passion and joy in whatever we do! so, whether it is a white collar job or a white cap job....:)

Premyscakes said...

Really enjoyed reading your write up and also the mutton curry looks great.

Sharmilee! :) said...

Nice Post Varsha! And the mutton gravy and the clicks looks great!!

Vicky Xavier. said...

Spicy mutton roast in cool weather ... seems so good dear. Colorful roast tempts me a lot:)

Ann said...

Hahaha Varsha..you too...So,dont froget to invite for the ribbon cutting..lol
Enjoy the season..
btw,the steel kadai and your mutton goes well..drooling picture..spicy and yummy.

Happy cook said...

Wow i love this curry and it looks so delicious, it is a pity idon't get mutton here.

Sakshi said...

..Though they say dreams are just for fools...
I bet you fools made up those rules
So never mind what they say
You just slip and slide away...and its' ok
Give a little place for your dreams my friend...

This oldie gold song is what was playing in my mental juke box when I was reading your post.If god took away my ability to dream (read 24/7) I guess I would be just a living YAKSHI...lol. And you know what its always more exciting when you can dream away with your better half...loved all your future dreams..may god bless u both and I feel H1 is a sure passport to dream more..coz damn grinding work is what makes us starve to dream more..gee am going nuts on dream philosophy so let me talk abt ur mutton roast...well as you already know I don't eat mutton so maybe that is why I was commenting more on dream..hee but am sure if you have cooked it...it must be nothing less than yummylicious!!

n33ma said...

Love the spice box and the mutton......looks heavenly.

Lavanya said...

mouth watering varsha..I am feeling hungry here..send your curry to redmond :)

Hema said...

Enjoyed your story and the mutton roast!

Priya said...

Enjoyed reading Varsha, Wishing u that all ur dreams come true.. Mutton roast looks yummy n delicous..

Smitha said...

My hubby loves mutton. This one will please him:)

Maria said...

nice recipe varsha, typical nadan stuff :), btw, I too share your obsession for crockery ;)

Priya Sriram said...

Hey Varsha! Come on girl! You are an awesome cook! You can start a business! :) I will come to US if you are gonna start the business! 'coz I'm not a big fan of Spice route... and I can drive all my friends outta there to your restaurant! ha ha!! Btw, I loved reading all about dreams! I feel like I'm in Kirkland waterfront right now (we used to live there!) :( Good luck if you are thinking about starting a business! And Good luck on H1b too!! :)

Madhu's cooking gallery said...

hey that's a nice dream.. really enjoyed reading it.. I am a person with few words.. I cannot right more than a line..u would have seen it in my post.. i directly jump to the recipe..it is really nice to see your interesting write up..

Sakshi said...

Just curious..do you plan to gift a lovely wooden spice box to one of us your die hard fans who always finds enough time to comment on your posts??? I mean for the best comment, sweet comment, long comment etc etc...??? (hope u can see me with my hands up waving frantically)

Vishali said...

Hey Varsha,

Thanks for dropping by and leaving such inspiring comments. You have got a wonderful blog too with a nice collection of recipes. And, Good Luck for your H1 !!

Cheers,
Vishali

Varsha Vipins said...

Thanks to all of you n am glad that u enjoyed my dream..yeah...They are the ones which keeps us go on n on..:)Sakshi..ofcourse I am planning to give that to my pals who visit ma home here..:p..Do I still see that waving hand..:-?

Divz said...

hey..u know what even my hubby and i also want to open a restaurant..even my brother is aspiring to do so..i know it wud b great if that dream of ours were to become true..all the best for that...

Adlak's tiny world said...

ha ha nice post and presentation.. my lovely dreamy gal... so cute reading it.

Sanghi said...

Excellent look, delicious recipe! :)

Priti said...

Wonderful pics and enjoy reading your dreams...but dear kissing mummy is too much isnt it ;)

Anonymous said...

Dear Varsha
I enjoyed reading your story.
May your dreams come true.
Good choice, I really like your spices box.
You are an awesome cook.
All the best
Ana Powell x

Ricardo said...

I simply adore Asian style foods, this one looks amazingly delicious and very well presented . well done thanks for sharing xx

Exotic Lady said...

Hey Varsha

Your dishes always look good!!!Thanks for stopping by.

aquadaze said...

nice n spicy! lovely pics.

Seena said...

Varsha Samadhanam!Ithu enteyum koode oru dream aanu, pinne, aa panum, picture um, dishum okke adipoli. :)

Malar Gandhi said...

I love mutton...but I dont find it here...poor me!:( This looks perfect. Nice dreams...aim for it, you could do it!:)

Yeah...I was thinking to mail you about this. Your page takes sucha long time to get loaded...and each time...it takes several minutes to comment!

Varsha Vipins said...

Thanks all..:)
Malar,I have changed the comment form n all..Hopefully its fine now..:)

Yasmeen said...

This is strange,No not the dish..I was here the day you posted the recipe ,expressing my praises for the mutton roast and your sweet dreams.Looks like Google ate up my comment;)
I was proposed with idea starting a food business but the hectic Restaurant business is certainly tough for a SW techie.
The spicy mutton roast looks finger licking good:)

Varsha Vipins said...

Oh..seems like google n blogger is on a war with me..eating up comments..page stuck..uff..:(

sangeeta said...

dreams always refresh me.........your dreams too managed to do so......keep dreaming..
i can smell the masala of your curry...yum..

 
Creative Commons License
Will-O'-the-Wisp is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
.