Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Chakkakuru Poriyal/mezhukkkupuratti (Stir fried Jack Fruit seeds)..!!!


I am not cooking or photographing anything since long..This is a draft n I have 2 more too..I am seriously scared,I'll be empty soon.. :( Guess I am running into some damn hibernation mode.I actually need a break,not only from blogspot,but from the laptop itself.But as of now,this being the only thing I got to do n enjoy doing,I am staying.. :)

I have started to read Marley n me..Since then,I am getting all sorts of dog,puppy n poop dreams.. :D The book slowly n unknowingly transforms you into a dog lover I guess.Have I told that I am scared of dogs??But puppies look so cute to me..So are all the baby forms ..be it humans or animals..If only they didn't grow up into big,fat n frothing creatures with sharp fangs..eeks..I hate to see them salivating..Gosh..Hope I dint hurt the feelings on any dog lover here.Actually we had a pet dog at home when we were kids.I was not really attached or something to it as I was kinda scared,even though we raised it since it was a puppy.He had the most mismatching n unrealistic name ever..His name was Motu(fat in Hindi) n he was stick-slim.He used to gobble up everything,but never really made it to his body.But he was a great dog,never pooped or peed anywhere other than in his intended toilet,n barked throats out at strangers.He got sick n passed away long back. :( ..That's one other reason why we never had n still don't have any pets.When they pass away,it gives a sharp n not-so-easy-to-fade pain in heart..n me being a very sensitive person will go into utter depression if it happens..:) Else I had this fancy for small birdies n rabbits all the time..We are all good with Pappu now.. :P

I have been giving you all live commentary about Seattle weather all the time..So without any fail,this time too..Its sick cold n raining now,bit bright though.I am seriously jealous n frowning about people who are having picnic spread romantic dinners outside,especially on river sides..
Now you know who you are..wink wink .. :D





Coming to recipe,I guess all Keralites are very familiar about Chakkakuru aka Jack fruit seed.It is a much loved n craved-for food in Kerala.Jack fruit itslef is such a yum fruit n my fav too..I never could get enough of it.Both my mom's n dad's home had many Plavu( Jackfruit tree) there,n so I used to just wait for the season to make the whole area surprisingly fragrant with Jack fruits scattered all arounfd.The tricky part is to pluck the ripe jack fruits.If you miss to pluck it at time,the ripe ones would fall off on ground with loud thuds,n that area of the fruit will get squashed n wasted off.So usually,one person would be atop plucking,n the other would wait down to take the catch,if ever the thing falls down. :P..n cutting n taking the fruits out of it is also a painful process.I remember my mom/aunts would sit on floor with papers spread all around,cutting with big sharp knifes and taking out the deep yellow yummy flesh.. :)After devouring the whole thing,we would take out the seeds ,clean n dry it to make the most yummy dishes with it.You can make poriyals/mezhukkupurattis(stir fry) or side dishes combo-ing it with prawns n Kaya's,or with spinach n dal..or...the list has so many n just the sound of it will make most Malayali's drool like anything.I remember Ann posting the combo-with-prawns dish I mentioned.But my most favorite is this simple spicy n crispy stir fry.I used to make mom,prepare this almost everyday during season.I would just snack it like that,n a major portion would disappear before making it to table..: P Back at home,the biggest pain was to skin n chop these seeds.It's got a real hard skin n I remember once getting my finger cut very badly,while trying to skin them.Ha..One of the bliss's of being an NRI,you get everything frozen n life is easier.I never had a clue that they got this thing here.So when I noted the packet in the frozen food aisle,I was literally bouncing with joy.Was quite apprehensive about the taste,as I am not so fond of even the word "frozen".Yeah..I got frozen Khoorka's(Chinese Potato) too..(Do I see anyone drooling big time,wetting all their screens there?? :D).So I made this,n it came out rather good.Almost like how it used to back at home.Only thing is I am pretty stingy about oil,so it wont look like those super crisp fried ones..But they WERE really crispy n yummm.. :)

You need:



1 cup Cooked Jack fruit seeds(I used frozen ones)

1/2 cup sliced Onions

3 Slit Green Chillies

1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder

1 Tsp Chilli Powder

Curry Leaves

Salt

Oil


Pour some oil in the frying pan and throw in Curry leaves n Jack fruit seeds.

Sprinkle salt and Turmeric Powder,keep on sauteing in between ,until the seeds are lightly browned n firm.

Now add the slitted green chillies and onions and mix n fry well.Instead of popping in tons of oil in the start,keep on adding it lil by lil,whenever you feel the pan is too dry.

Keep on sauteing and frying the seeds n onions.

Half way through the cooking sprinkle the Chilli Powder and mix and fry well for sometime,until the whole thing looks crispy n fried nicely.When the seeds are browned n crisp and onions are lil charred,switch off,that's the state we need..!!




This post is dedicated to Sakshi,who I see, is wetting her screen so much now,n haven't had any luck with finding the treasure of this Kerala Kuru's(ROFL..as her Non-mallu hubby quotes it..!!) yet.Gal..I hope your detector does wonders next time,n you dig out all the KK's of Bostons.. :D:D

UPDATE: What a dumbo I am..I was so excited yday n forgot it when I posted today..
I was lucky enough to get selected for the 3rd prize in Gayathri's Magnificent Click contest for my Tofu Croquettes..Thanks a ton n am honored..Here is my award..



Congrats to all the winners n Thanks to all my dear friends who congratulated me ..:)


All you have a great time cooking n eating..:)
Hugs,

peluk StumbleUpon

73 Luv'ly people shared their views..:

Pooja said...

looking tempting..Nice pics

Deepa Hari said...

I love jackfruit seeds...my mom would make kozhambu with it....nice poriyal...yum and delicious.

Sakshi said...

If I ever force my hubby to go back and settle down in Kerala I will tell him to blame you...gal u really make me cry in frustration..I tell u all abt my pursuits in search of the Kerala Kuru of happiness and instead of pity u go ahead and post a number of exotic pics...wahh!!and to add salt to my injury u tell abt all those jackfruit harvesting stories..i wanna be a kid again... Dushman na kare dosth ne woh kaam kiya hai...
U r getting better and better at taking pics...I gather the trick is in the weird positions u try isn't it? Ohh my god today will be having Kerala Kuru dreams and I guess will take my hubby on Kuru Hunting this weekend.. wonderful dish varsha...Y don't u dedicate the dish to me by UPS services...u will get blessings from a hunting soul..
Thanks for giving a review and a warning abt Marley and Me...will never read it coz am comfortable being scared of dogs and can't even think of falling in love with them..go ahead Maneka, PETA sue the hell out of me..Pass on to me Pappu if you ever fall hopelessly in love with a real thing ok???

Asha said...

Frozen seeds! Really! I didn't know that, will look for it next time. Like you, I have too many in the draft too, don't know what to do!

Dish looks great, love the roasted color there.

Get a little Poodle, you will not be bored!:D

Priya Sriram said...

The poriyal looks so bright and yummy! But never heard of preparing it this way... I love jackfruit, but not a big fan of its seeds! :)
Ha ha.. Seattle is gloomy? Here its bright and sunny... :P
Well.. prepare something Varsha... Else, we will be deserted without your entries...

Madhumathi said...

Congrats on winning the Magnificent award,Varsha!
All your clicks deserve that ..
I always stay out of dogs ..Im scared and super hygiene conscious but I love to watch them by being in a good distance :)
Nice recipe using jackfruit seeds.I love these seeds n we always make jackfruit dal (Poricha kuzhambu)
Next time when i get these ,I will try your mezhukuperatti :)Thanks for sharing!

5 Star Foodie said...

This looks very yummy! I need to try those jack fruit seeds!

Varsha Vipins said...

Thanks Pooja..:)

Deepa..I have heard it..Kuzhambu sounds yum..:)

Sakshi,I am seriously scared you'll curse or jinx me into some tadpole next time I see you..:P I was just trying to give you an idea of how its gonna look like u knw..Pls understand my nice intention.. :D

Ashakka,forgot to mention that..I loved ur poodle in that video..so cute..:)
Thanks n u do check them out..They are yum..:)

Varsha Vipins said...



n Sakshi..passing Pappu?neve eva think of it..He s the luv of my life..:D

Priya,Mebe after trying this u'll become one..;)..Bright n sunny..what does that mean.. :P
Thanks for the nice words dear..:)

Madhu,u up at this time?? Thanks so much dearie..I bet you gonna like it..:)

5SF,please do leme know how u liked it..thanks..:)

Vishali said...

delicious Stir fry with jack fruit Varsha.....I will try this weekend...:D...

Wishing you a very happy Ugadi!!

Vishali said...

And Congrats on the award ...Enjoy :-bd

Sakshi said...

was just checking the courier service fare...glad to note that they have not listed chakkakuru in their prohibited items...u getting the hint? Courier some frozen packets and ur dish too...will torture ur comment section till i get them

Preety said...

congratulation on your award..
that was one tough competition..

Jack fruit seeds , hmm never heard of them b4..i think i sud shop more concisely next time..Dish looks amazing

I heard about this book in Oprah show..she dedicated the whole show on this book ..but i don't read novels so just know that it is some kind of dog related story but as she was saying its a beautiful book to read even if you don't have pet..

Smitha said...

Hey congrats on your award. And lov ethe snaps in this post too. Btw, I love dogs but I can't commit to taking care of them, so I don't have one here. This love comes from my dad who is a hardcore doglover. We have 3 dogs at home now so if I were to write a book it would be ashy-um, tiger-um, rambo-yum pinne naanum;)

Superchef said...

heyy..congrats on coming 3rd in the magnificient click contest!! those pics were a winner anyways! :)

where did you get chakkakuru from?? last week i went to both apna bazar and mayuri cos a friend of mine told that she got them form the frozen section, but i just didnt see them at all!! i even got some raw mangoes to make mango and chakkakuru curry! :(

ohh..n i love Marley n me!! a friend of mine who is a beeg dog lover and I were travelling from Hyd to Chennai for soemthing related to our work and i picked this up for her to read in the flight at the airport!! she just loved it and lended me the book to read. I also loved it and ordered it for AJ through amazon to be shipped to the US as he is a major dog lover and he loved it too!! this was like 2 yrs back...and now we went and saw the movie too..cried a lot! :(

wow, thats a beeg comment! i couldve ver well called you on the phone :D:D

Hema said...

My mom would make Kuzhambu with these seeds. Picture looks yum.....Congrats for your awards.

Cham said...

Frozen I should get it here. Last year , i got only 7 fresh fruits obviously 7 seeds, I ended up boiling and eating!
My mom does with shrimp , brinjal, such heaven the combo.
Gal if u re not cooking , only take out???
he he about weather.... It is sunny sunnny..... 70 C , ok don't yell, i can hear u!
About dog, is little sad when they will pass away, their memories are always fresh!
Congrats on ur award!

Lavanya said...

hey i dont know that we can get these fruits in frozen section..i never seen this..i will buy next time when i go for groceries...coming to pic ..awesome click..looks yummy !!
congrats on your award!!

Varsha Vipins said...

Thanks everyone..Ugadi wishes to you too Vishali n to all of you my readers..:)

Cham,I do cook some simple stuffs all the time..do u mean JFruits?? ..70 F rite?all confused..hee..:D

Lavanya..no frozen fruits..Seeds are what I meant..By Daily delights I guess..

Poornima Nair said...

God Varsha...I'm so J...I haven't seen chakkakuru in any of the stores out here...that looks so tempting da...mom used to make something similar with drumsticks...my mouths watering.

Priya Sriram said...

(Update to my comment) :D
Congratulations on the award dear! Click a lot more of wonderful pictures as always!! :)

Mangala Bhat said...

OMG u have a wonderful blog dear :) congrats ..
I love all the pics and recipes over here ..all r mindblowing shots :) if u have some time visit me ok Thanks :)
hey this dish is new to me... sounds good :)

Divya Vikram said...

Congrats on the win! Why do u need a break? I know how addictive blogging can get! Earlier when I had nothing to do but sit alone at home. I really got addicted to blogging n sat with my laptop for hours!!

Sanghi said...

Hi Varsha,

First of all, Congrats Congrats for the award dear..! Really you deserve it..! Nice recipe., have not cooked jackfruit, will try. Do send more recipies to my FIL-Tomato event by mar 31st da..:)

Reeni♥ said...

I thought they were potatoes when I first saw them! My laptop isn't too good for pictures. I have never tried jackfruit. I like hearing about your family memories and traditions. I bet they are just delicious!

Congratulations to you for winning!!

Sushma said...

I make sambar with jackfruit seeds & nothing else. Your picture impressed me so much that I'm inspired to try it soon :)
Congrats for the awards. The picture was really worth getting an award.

Vibaas said...

congrats on your award, dear.
the stir fried seeds look yum. as usual, nice click.

Shama Nagarajan said...

hai varsha....Congrats dear for ur award with warm hugs to u.........Lovely recipe nice click..take care

Shama Nagarajan said...

hai varsha...congrats on ur award dear with warm hugs to you...lovely recipe nice click..take care

Varunavi said...

Hi Varsha congrats on ur award dear.Lovely recipe.

Sharmilee! :) said...

Hey Varsha, Nice pics...Havent tasted this Jackfruit seeds...but looks refreshing with its colors! I too love dogs big /small any kind but the only reason why I didnt want it as a pet is that we cant bear the pain when they leave us....Even I have a dream dog named 'OZO' so tats more than enough for me now.....:)

Once again congrats on ur award!

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

wow.. look at the pics!! gorgeous. looks very nice varsha. and congrats on the award. u deserve it.

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

wow. look at that.. looks very nice varsha. amazing pics. congratulations on winning the click contest.. u deserve them.

Priti said...

No kidding gal....gosh this is so simple and looks so fab....Congrats on winning...your clicks are always fab

Valarmathi said...

Congrats on your award. Lovely recipe. Nice click.

RAKS KITCHEN said...

These jack fruit seed are looking great! Usually, we get smaller ones!! Looks perfect,ur photography!

mathew said...

I think I have said in several blogs before..chakkakuru is a huge weakness for me..infact chakkakuru maanga curry is my alltime favourite curry..and with some prawns olathiyathu its heaven...uh..just telling this gets me drooling...


never tried this stir fry...i think coz i always insisted on the curry form...looks very delicious....

Aparna Prabhu said...

:(
i love jackfruit seeds even boiled with salt or fried on coal.
I dont even get frozen ones here.
Lucky u nd this time when i m to India i will get them from there nd try this s its new for me.
We even make curry of this nd it tastes awesome.
yeh nd bout cutting jack.... even it goes on in my house the same way even now nd i long to eat them.

Priya said...

Congrats on ur award Varsha, am very happy to share 3rd prize with u...Jackfruit seed curry lookz very great, u photos are looks so professionals dear...awesome dish with awesome clicks...

Lakshmi Venkatesh said...

Congrats on ur award. You deserve it. I like Jack fruit seeds a lot. And ur curry looks yummy.

Lakshmi Venkatesh said...

Congrats on ur award. You deserve it. I like jack fruit seeds a lot. Your curry looks lovely. will try it next time.

Ann said...

Torturing Varsha..colorful and nostalgic...Varsha,your pictures are truly amazing these days..would love to have some chakkakuru..

Chitra said...

congrats on winning 3 rd place, cute award!!very simple recipe with jackfruit,looks yummm!!

VineelaSiva said...

Hai varsha Congrts for winning the award .The curry looks yummy.Do we get those seeds here.I like ur the way u present the fotos.Will u please tell how to get that bright colour fotos?Thanx for sharing both.
vineelasiva

Ashwini said...

Congrats Varsha on the award...Love dogs..Back home I brought a dog to my house and I am very attached to it..Now we I want to buy one but my hubby does not want, as it takes too much work..So we have a fish..
Love jackfruit seeds. We used to toast in fire and eat. THis looks yumm..

Soma said...

Varsha my grandmom always used to roast jackfruit seeds (BTW i had no idea that u get it frozen), we rarely ate it in curries. this is an awesome idea. i will go look for the seeds.

congrats on ur win.. i had totally forgotten about it. shows my old age:-)

it got cold here again. I see a beautiful white out background. if u still have some of ur bars left, try it in the same angle stacked against just white without distraction.. of course if u want to:)

vidhas said...

Congrats!! Varsha for our award. Wish you to get more and more. Jack fruit is my favourite. We used to make sambhar only with Jack fruit. This sounds great. Now being the season i can make this.

Vani said...

I didn't know you get jackfruit seeds, canned or otherwise. Do they come cooked too? (I'm always looking for things that make my cooking simpler & easier!) The poriyal looks YUM!

Food Fanatic said...

mmm this looks good. you have a lovely blog urself. would love to revisit. :)

oh btw, by looking at ur profile, we seem to have a few similarities :)

Mangala Bhat said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Varsha Vipins said...

Thanks one n all of you dears,..n Thanks Soma for the tip..:).
Guess,I gave quite some inspiration to all of you to go hunt for JF seeds and try this..Am so glad I did..:)..You can get this in packets,(Daily Delight I guess)in Indian stores,u need to ask 'em...cos sometimes it might be stashed somewhere inside..:)..n frozen ones needn't be cooked ,you can just do it as I said..:)
Varunavi,Here light is quite stingy..I try to take pics with some white stand light ,position adjusted.. :)..Glad you all liked it..:)

DEESHA said...

congrats on the award .. this dish looks totally gorgeous .. I wanna try this next time we buy jackfruits .. bookmarked

Ramya Bala said...

wr did u get those seeds..even the frozen ones...luv them..awesome recipe for me..

Adlak's tiny world said...

wow congrats dear.... so sweet da. Your jack fruit curry looks so tempting.. looks yum too.

Pavithra Kodical said...

Wow i love jacfruit seeds.Will look for it next time.My mom makes curry adding jackfruit seeds and Mangalore cucumber.This looks easy and delicious.

sriharivatsan said...

Thanks Varsha for dropping by and your lovely comments.

My hearty congruats on your award, your pictures deserves it..

JF Stir fry looks very crispy...I wanna to try that now..Being the season here, in short time i am sure am gonna to prepare this...Nice click buddy!!

A_and_N said...

I've heard so much about this dish, but never tried it! Looks good, Varsha!

Sara said...

I have never had jack fruit before, but I've always wanted to try it! This sounds delicious.

Make the Impossible...Possible said...

varsha,
Thanks for visiting my blog..I realise now how you came to my blog....
Penna chakkakuru poriyal endey favourite annu...Even though,I'm a malayali..brought up in Tamil nadu ...
I was looking forward for a malayali to showcase some of the favourite kerala dish like kalan, olan, etc etc...I'll link my blog to urs...Keep posting some kerala special..Looking forward for more...Umma....Sumy (sumysunil.blogspot.com)..BTW Thanks for visiting my blog too...

Premyscakes said...

lovely recipe and the picture looks great and inviting.

Keerthana said...

Varsha, you are so lucky to find the jackfruit seeds..i'd so love to have them now:)looks delicious

did i tell u?i am scared of dogs too!but i dont get them in dreams:))

And Congrats on the award! u sure deserve it:)

Laavanya said...

This looks fabulous... got to keep a look out for the frozen jackfruit seeds.

Vicky Xavier. said...

I love Jack fruit seeds in any dish i make. It tastes good even with mutton kulambu:) I m also lucky like u to get them frozen. Never missed them in India , love to buy the whole fruit because of these yummy nuts also...ha ha.
Just boiled / dry roasted / koottu anything means heaven to me:) nice post. hugs.

Sharmi said...

Hey Varsha, You have a beautiful blog! I loved this recipe, though we do not get jackfruits here:)

AnuSriram said...

Thats lovely! Gr8 click and a beautiful recipe.. My mom makes sambar with those jackfruit seeds. Never seen them here... Congrats on your win!

Suparna said...

Hi Varsha,
Big Big CONGRATULATIONS for the award! that was indeed a deserving snap! loved the idea of Jackfruit seed stir fry :) I have cooked raw jackfruits in dry sabzi's and sambhars, not tried it this way. Looks tempting and lovely capture.Hmm...so u r tempting readers abt this book! ...lol I will now grap a copy of Marley n ke asap, thanks for the huge huge raving :) I am really eager to read it now.
TC
Happy weekend:)
TC

Madhu's cooking gallery said...

Hmm looks terrific! I have heard of this, but never tasted it...so tempting! lovely click!

sangeeta said...

this one i have tasted at my frn's place.....never cooked myself.it is so haed to get these ...n yes, peeling n all...
congrats for the award.......enlighten me on what is ugadi.....

Rajee said...

Congrats for the award. Great pictures. Let me know how to cook the jackfruit. Never tried it. I want to try it the frozen one as I am unable to find the fresh one. Pls help me how to cook the frozen one.

Rajee said...

I visit ur recent posts and saw ur latest posts, Varsha.

Dhanya Nambirajan said...

First time here. You have a lovely Blog. Chakkakura mezhukkupuratti looks yummy.Here we only get frozen chakkakuru:(.Which part of kerala are you from? I am from Thrissur.Will keep visiting.

Sibz said...

I just recently found frozen chakkakuru and I was a little concerned about how it would turn out but I followed your recipe and it came out just as I had tasted it in India many years ago (and I think I just won over my husband's heart AGAIN haha) Thank you SO much for this post... will be trying out your other recipes :)

Check out my fairly new blog at http://mommymartyr.blogspot.com/

Ariel.com said...

Hi H Vipin,
Nice to read your blog via google knol. OH! God this is really wonderful, You are a good cook, writer and a photographer, Great going, would like to read and try more of your delicious new items. Keep continue to inform your community around the world. http://linkbee.com.gmqo
http://pvariel.blogspot.com
Ariel Philip Verghese,
Secunderabad

 
Creative Commons License
Will-O'-the-Wisp is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
.