Monday, March 23, 2009

Healthy Oats-Nuts bar...!!!









PS: My feeds are still crawling slow, big time..:(..So,for all my regular readers,I do post mostly on alternate days..So even if you dont get my feed,hay am here :P..n pls do check here on alternate days..thanks..:)

Hi..am back after a reasonably nice weekend.. :).. Seattle has finally decided to take a better walk I guess..Ofcourse,who could possibly push away sporty spring for long.. :P It didn't rain much,even though sun was not really gracious upon us...t was bit cold too..But we went for small walks,n park was not really blooming everywhere,just lil frosty even now.There was hand ball n foot ball games going on..n was fun to see kids playing around.We too joined the lot n cheered them.So we were thinking about this and instantly told each other the same thing.When the kids were playing in the field,of course not a big game just a fun stuff,the parents were standing there and encouraging n cheering them like anything.It was so good to watch them full of zest n love.We were telling,how would parents out there in our place will behave in such a situation.Will they really clap n cheer for their kids,for such fun games..?..I have seen n heard about parents pressurizing their kids so much n yelling at them all the time "study..study.."..Luckily I never got into such pathos state,may be because I was good in studies n they never really had to get bothered or something.But I have seen so many n its really sad to see the kids chanting like caged birds all the time.Some even have bigger n heavier-than-them glasses fitted upon their tiny noses,n its such a pain to see it.Unless n until the thing is about some big n proffessional games,parents never seems to enjoy watching their kids playing around.I wish they saw all these,n understand how it helps to build a better person out of their kid,rather than being an all-laze sulking lad.. :)

Then we took some historic romantic movies, Pretty Woman n Wedding Singer..Oh..how I love these movies..Drew Barrymoore is the cutest thing on earth..Sad she got into the ugly track.Do you guys love this song of Wedding Singer as much as I do? Sandler is someone I adored since I saw 50 first days,one of my fav movie(a must see for all romantic's out there..!!).. :).Have u seen Wedding Singer?I just loved his face,when his sis told him Linda is not coming n he is on the verge of a heart-wrenching sob.Damn good guy he is..!! n oh Pretty Woman..Guess its better ,I keep mum..JR..Hats off..!! ..n good news is ,from my good-for-nothing Library outlet nearby,I managed to dig out of dust,Marlo n Me..Aint it cool?I really think its a great page-turner n will bring back the long lost reading habit to me.I got another one calles The Lie too,dunno how its gonna be tho..Just liked the writing style of the first page,very open..err..rather verrrryyy open,cos I got to see f's,more than I can count with my hand n toe finger's, after a quick glance.. .. :D



Coming to the beautiful bars(I guess they are.. :P),I have always ranted about my dilemma for breakfast stuffs,n here is one more solution to it.Since I started baking,it was not big fuss,as I used to bake a bread every week which used to last us for 5 days,and rest 2 days or more for fancy traditional breakfasts.But some weeks(last 3 weeks.. :D),I got really cranky n lazy n didn't bake at all..I don't like quick breads..It has always got to be the fancy yeast breads.The sight of the doubled dough gives me so much delight n satisfaction,n that's the best part of baking.So i wouldn't want to waste that,so didn't bake at all..n last week I saw this in Good HouseKeeping magazine ,n that gave me the final nudge to go for it.I had already seen it in so many spaces n mags,like for say Yasmeen's bars are the first one I remember out of the lot.Was thinking of it from then on,but you know I am quite forgetful.. :(..So this page of GHK,made someone whisper in my mind."Come on..Its now or never.." :p..It was 8 at night,when I jumped out of couch,whisked,scrapped n baked n by 9 I had the fragrant bars n by the time we went to sleep,I had enough to fill a big air tight box.




This is your good old Oats made extra nutritious with some honey ,flour,nuts n fruits to make a complete breakfast with a glass of milk,n mebe a slice of fruit.Safe in air tight box for up to 2 weeks ,n for breakfast if u like it warm,pop 2 in a MW for 30 secs n voila..u got them nice n fresh again.. :)..Yeah..I have made some adjustments,of course for good here..Hope you all like n try this.. :)..Even this is the best evening snack,you could pack up for your kids.They gonna love it as well,n you will be happy n relieved that you made them eat something really really good.. :)

You need :
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil(I used olive oil + butter to make it 1/2 cup.Butter gives a nice texture)
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 large egg (Veggie pals,u can go for Flax meal..)
  • 2 cup old-fashioned oats, uncooked
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour(I used 1/2 cup Whole wheat +1/4 cup AP flour)
  • 1/2 cup (packed) light brown sugar(white sugar is also fine..brown just gives a better moist touch)
  • 1 cup sliced almonds+walnuts +craisins(I popped in some bittersweet chocolate chips too..;) )
  • 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ(I din have it,so added more WW flour n some flax seeds)
  • 3/4 tsp salt

Directions Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 13" by 9" metal baking pan with nonstick foil (if not using nonstick, lightly grease foil).

In liquid measuring cup, stir oil, honey, vanilla, and egg until mixed.

In large bowl, with fork, mix oats, flour, sugar, almonds, wheat germ, chco chips,nuts n craisins , and salt until combined. (keep some chips aside,if you want to sprinkle on top)

With spatula, stir honey mixture into oat mixture until blended; scrape into prepared pan.

With wet hand, pat oat mixture evenly into pan.

Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until pale golden around edges. Cool completely in pan on wire rack, about 1 hour.(If its browning too much,like mine did,lightly tent it with a foil after 20 minutes)

When cool, transfer using foil to cutting board. Cut into pieces of rectangular/square shapes and store in tightly sealed container at room temperature up to 2 weeks. :)



I guess this can be an entry for some ongoing events..But I cant remember which n where..I searched,to no use..duh.. :(..So if any of you could please lemme know,it'l be helpful n I'll add it here..
Update: Thanks yasmeen,I am sending this to Meeta's monthly mingle hosted by Srivalli this time,where the theme is Kid's lunches.. :)

PS: I am sorry about Usha,Mahimaa n many others who became victims of Plagarism..Glad that the person finally took off her blog.Lets hope it never happens again,n I must say that was a great unity we showed to raise our voices together,which finally had a good result..Cheers to all of you gals..!! :) See Usha's post for details..

..n thanks to all of you who updated me about the feed issue.Hope it is solved now n this post finds you in time.. :)

Have a great week ahead n let spring bring bang to your days.. hugs.. :)

peluk



StumbleUpon

73 Luv'ly people shared their views..:

Yasmeen said...

hey varsha,glad you had a pleasant weekend.Healthful bars,you know I make just the kind of bars for my son's lunch box,may be you could send it to kids lunch event at meeta's.

Asha said...

I baked something similar too this weekend, will post next week. Bars looks so yum, great for breakfast too! :))

A_and_N said...

Love this recipe. Will try it soon, Varsha. I didn't have a problem with feeds at all :)

Priya said...

Healthy bars are since long in my to do list, prefect for breakfast..delicious n tempting bars Varsha!!

VineelaSiva said...

Hai Varsha its a healthy snack bar.I will try this i think we can replace oats with the corn flakes.what do u say.

vineelasiva

Premnath said...

The bars looks so yumm..Sure my daughter will love this..Book marked.Nice pictures.

Lavanya said...

bars looks yumm varsha n is is very healthy too..i will give a try!!

Divya Vikram said...

Your posts appear in my reader! Beautiful looking bars. I have a similar recipe in my blog too.. I agree with u how satisfying it is to see the bread dough rising. Check out my latest bread recipe

Sakshi said...

Wow the bar looks so yum..I think this is the answer to my prayers...my hubby and son gets this rumbling stomach just 1 hr after lunch..gonna make them and pack some for him to keep at office and some for me and my son to fight over..nice exercise it will be for us..don't ya think so?

Btw there is an on going event called Sent it freshly packed to Sakshi..U can send it there and for address and details U know where to contact!!

Smitha said...

Very similar to trail mixes.I too don't have a prob with your feeds being delivered. So cheer up. All well now:)

Usha said...

Your feeds are appearing fine on my reader. The oats bar looks delicious and is so healthy too, did this turn out very sweet or mildly sweet? just curious since I would like to try it with a little bit of lesser sugar :-)

5 Star Foodie said...

Those look excellent! So much healthier homemade too! Yum!

Ushanandini said...

Oh! It reminds me of sweet kadalai cake! The bars look yummy and srumptious!

Varsha Vipins said...

Thanks Yasmeen for letting me know that..I was just not sure if this could go as a lunch entry..I'll send it right away..:)

Thanks Ashakka..:)

Thanks A n N.. :)

Thanks Priya..you got to try it now..:)

Vineela..I guess it should go well with corn flakes..But am not too sure about whether the flakes will go gooey,once they get to meet the wet ingredients..:P So go on n buy a box of Oats..Its good in any form..:)

Thanks Premnath..Hope u n kids like it.. :)

Thanks Lavanya..:)

Divya..Thanks..I'l check it..:)

Sakshi..oh..Such an event is running n I was so oblivious all the time..I gotta send it fast.. ;)

Thanks Smitha.. :)


Usha,ha..i guess as I added chocolate chips,it was somewhere lil more than mildly sweet,but less than very sweet..lol..You minus the choc chips,n u'll be good to go..Anyways we using honey rite..so no worries..:)..Still if you dont like it sweet,add lil less honey..The craisins/raisins will give a sweet n sour hint when you bite.. :)

Thanks 5SF.. :)

Thanks Usha..yeah it resembles so much.:)

Superchef said...

Dont worry...i do check your blog every other day except sometimes on fridays and weekends when i get caught up with tons of other things and dont get to my laptop at all!! great one!! must be great for small bites in between meals :D

Trupti said...

bars looks perfect Varsha. Should try these for my husband :)

Here weather is still little bit cold so waiting for good weather to get outside

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

I love these kind of healthy bars.. never tried at home...urs look tooo good varsha.

priar's, said...

Hi varsha,
oats bars really looks so perfect...i can try at home rather than getting it from costco:)

Soma said...

Those are some best looking bars I have ever seen around.. like u order from the gourmet catalog books. Lovely lovely pictures!! i am still to try out bars at home, & i am sure they will taste better & the amount of sweet & fat can be controlled. I don't like the store bars.. none of them.. they are all too sweet & sticky & smell weird. Do consider these pics in DMBLGIT!!

Pretty Woman tops my fav. movie list.. I have seen it 'n' number of times & i can see it again & again

something funky going on with the reader. someone complained that she is not getting updated just on my posts for the past few weeks now!! I am getting your update but a tad late..

Last.. sorry about hogging your comment board:-)

Sakshi said...

PS: I know I keep coming back to ur blog...this time its bcoz of the awesome pics u managed to click...these are your best...even beat my all time fave prawn roast ones :) So how abt starting a photography blog now...maybe ur posts will motivate me to click and feed my poor undernourished blog!!

Mallugirl said...

very appealing bar! breakfast is a pain for me too as i get up too hungry to cook anything.. just want to grab and go. ur nut and oats combination is the right balance of taste and protein.

Preety said...

i also had one recipe of oat bar which i wanted to try for long but cudn't find flax seeds so put that on hold for a while..yours looks amazing i guess i can eat all of them as it falls under healthy snack..guilt free munching..hehhe

Reeni♥ said...

Your bars look so delicious and best of all their healthy!! I love The Wedding Singer- Drew is very cute in that one!!

Vani said...

Me, no baker! I buy my breads :) But I can imagine how satisfying the fresh baked breads would be. The breakfast bars look crunchy and yum, Varsha! LOVED the clicks :)

aquadaze said...

oh those bars looks absolutely scrummy...and awesome clocks!

Indhu said...

lovely bars... I made something similar sometime back... only I did not make them into bars... but kind of like cereal...
and your feed is working fine for me :)

Deepa Hari said...

Yummy...healthy and delicious bar...perfect for breakfast.

Pooja said...

Healthy bars...Lovely click varsha...never got the idea to make the bars at home...Nice post dear..

notyet100 said...

u r always up with yummy rcpes,..:-)bars look healthy will try main them for Advay...thans fro the recipe,..

Ann said...

hmmm..Some superb clicks there Varsha..nice read as always..enjoy the season !!

Cham said...

Ur feed has to come from seattle to Bay right? I should wait huh? It was windy and little cold yest, but from tomor we will be 70.. Ok I can understand ur feel :( Hey as a parents we cheer up my kid for his soccer game.
Looks delicous ur bar!

Varunavi said...

Nice recipe varsha,never got it right for me,will take ur recipe and do it

Suparna said...

Hi Varsha,

I ditto ur thinking on the kid's freedom of growing up and parent's encouragement in daily life other than something major:( hope that there is some refresher in the system of education and also upbringing. GHK! i'm a big fan of that mag too! have a couple (read a cart load)of recipes in my 'to do' list! my hubby isn't keeping well these days so i've put a screeching brake to all the route cooking :( ( it's just raw grated stuff and yogurt for us)neways back to ur recipe...I love breakfast bars. Ur bars look really happy and inviting :) well done!cutie pics :)the ballerina is so pretty.
TC

Sharmilee! :) said...

Nice clicks Varsha, these healthy bars are sure gona be a hit!

Uma said...

lovely bars Varsha! Wonderful clicks. Just making me grab one from the pic. My feeds seem to crawl like a snail too :(

Shama Nagarajan said...

lovely clicks dear.....bars look great and yummy

Madhumathi said...

Oh Varsha,How is that I always comment on your blog late???
I hope the feed prob in your blog is not there now..I too like Drew Barymore and my fav movie of her is 'Ever After'..50 First dates is my fav too..its so romantic.
Oat bars look so good and they make for a perfect breakfast :)
The clicks are lovely!

Prathibha said...

Healthier bars are looking great....

Chitra said...

lovely bars,looks perfect:)

Purva Desai said...

They are one healthy and yummy bars....really tempting

Purva Desai said...

Lovely bars dear.....they look healthy and crunchy

Happy cook said...

I love pretty woman one of my fav movies.
Love the healthy bars too.

sangeeta said...

yummy bars n nice pics....goodhousekeeping has been my source of recipes too since it started about 3 years back....have tried these with muesli also......the texture is amazing.

AnuSriram said...

Wow.. these bars looks so crunchy, packed with a right combination of nuts and oats! Delicious!

AnuSriram said...

Hope u got my comment!

sunshinemom said...

Such healthy bars! Recipe sounds really good:)

Premyscakes said...

oh! would love to have that bars, very crunchy.

Lakshmi said...

Kalakara po Varsha !! those bars look out of the world man! love them.save them for me wen i come back to seattle.

Valarmathi said...

Crunchy and healthy bars.

amy said...

Would love to have these bars over for my event at the foodie social networking site.
“Baking Event –Calling all Foodies” hosted by me at the foodie site www.ifood.tv.The details are all here http://www.ifood.tv/blog/baking_event_calling_all_foodies

amy said...

Would love to have these bars over for my event at the foodie social networking site.
“Baking Event –Calling all Foodies” hosted by me at the foodie site www.ifood.tv.The details are all here http://www.ifood.tv/blog/baking_event_calling_all_foodies

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

These healthy bars look wonderful! A great source of energy!

Cheers,

Rosa

Deepthi said...

they look soo gorgeous .. I would love to have a bite into those bars too

Priya Sriram said...

Varsha! Congrats dear for the MCC award! :)
Healthy nuts bar look lovely da! Awesome clicks! :)

Malar Gandhi said...

Oats bar looks perfect, like store bought ones, good job, buddy.

Sakshi said...

congrats for winning the award at magnificent clicks...now send this bar pics to any event and i assure u will win hands down!!

Poornima Nair said...

Hey...Pretty woman is such a classic...Richard Gere is so handsome in the movie, that smile of his...he was my first love:)...Wedding singer is an awesome movie too, ur so right about Drew Barrymoore.
The bars looks even better than the ones from Kellogs....wish you were my neighbor:)
I almost forgot...Congrats on winning the click contest.

Elra said...

VARSHA, I seem to really need this healthy bar. I've been eating so bad lately, Arrggg.
Thanks for posting the delicious bar.
Cheers,
elra

Vishali said...

mmhh nice cruchu bars with oats Varsha...love them....

Even I like Meg Ryan so much....watch her movie I.Q if u get a chance ...its a comedy ...u will like it a lot. :D...

Joie de vivre said...

These look wonderful Varsha! Thanks for your well wishes. I am feeling better today. :)

n33ma said...

These bars look too good to eat....I love the fact that its so healthy.great click.

Helene said...

Thanks for sharing this recipe. Would be great on my long walks.

Vibaas said...

yummy and healthy recipe. looks awesome!

Ramya Bala said...

o wow...this looks very delicious :))))

Meenal Mehta said...

lovely post and delicious looking bars .gotta try them:)

Priti said...

Nice clicks, bar is so tempting and looks yum...

Hema said...

looks very delicious and yummy......

Vicky Xavier. said...

oats and nuts bar looks so healthy . Nice snack. Can I have my share:)

Sharmilee! :) said...

Congrats on ur award Varsha! The pic speaks for itself!

Madhu's cooking gallery said...

super healthy and yummy yum!

Srivalli said...

Thats a lovely picture...

Lina Anup said...

Was looking for an healthy and tasty oats recipe for my little one...Thank you so much Varsha...You always surprise me with your recipes!! Hats off..By the way how is your little muffin!! Hope she is doing gr8!! Waiting for more recipes and events from you ..Come back soon!!

Varsha Vipins said...

Thankyou all..
Thankyou Lina..hope your lil one loves it..Ameya is doing good here,shes almost one!:)

 
Creative Commons License
Will-O'-the-Wisp is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
.