Friday, March 27, 2009

Chemmeen Theeyal..(Prawns cooked in a Roasted Coconut-Masala Gravy..)..!!!



Hi dear friends..Weekend is here..Now,I dont want to rant n sulk about the weather here anymore.Seattle is a pretty place n there is lotsa fun n festivals waiting for us in April.(I am trying to see the bright sides ..u knw..:P)..It was sunny yesterday,n dull today..I am hoping for the best on weekends.. :)

Two things that pop up in my mind right now,are stuffs at two extremes..:P..I'll better tell that separately..:P.I know..I have always been blamed n often make people bemused ,with this unnatural mental capability to think of most unrelated things together or in rapid succession.Sometimes he'll be telling about something,I'll retort to it n suddenly I'll ask about a thing,completely from another world..n he'll like now from where in the world did u link that..:P..Serious digression..Sleepy mind..Now..these two are not really unrelated..:D


So..the first thing is I am now in love with Marley n me..For my last post,I got many comments from you guys,most of you, who are in my same boat.Like they say,kids are adorable when not ours(:-P) ,most of us think its good to see pups n dogs from a safe distance..:D..I told you about Motu ,rite?my old pet dog at home..I hated him from that point of time,when he brutally strangled n assassinated my pet baby chicken Bikki.Yeah..I used to raise baby chickens..was very fond of 'em.I have fed n brought up almost 14 chickens from my palm size to big, fat n fighting lads..I used to adore these colored chickens ,being sold in big baskets by street sellers..n me n my bro used to take them out for walks n feed 'em..cute no..n at some point of time,after they become big,they'd all die..n I used to cry buckets..So coming back,one day Motu strangled Bikki ,I hated him so much n even beat him with a hose pipe..Since then I never thought good of dog's..Now Marley is forcing me to like him.. :) All of you have not read it yet,do give it a try once..:)

Second thing is I am in love with the herb Rosemary.I never used to buy much of herbs,as its costly plus it rots soon.After one use or so,I may not find an immediate use,as I don m ake much of soups n stuffs that require lotsa herbs.So it just used to rot.But the other day when I decided to bake a herb cheese bread,I thought of those pretty stacks Rosemary-Olive oil French bread n grabbed a pack..n boy..Aint I so glad that I did?Am now in total love with it,that I dread I may gulp it just like that..The bread recipe ,you'll get to see next week.Rosemary made my day n my bread.It was so flavorful ,n the mild n soothing aroma is to die for.. :)





Lemme come to todays recipe..Its the good old Theeyal ,authentic n traditional dish of Kerala kitchen.When I started blogging,many mailed n commented me asking to post this one..I couldn't really make it yet...sorry for that..n here am with it now..Its another one of my fav prawn/shrimp dishes n I can eat one load of rice ,just with this curry..:)..Taste definitely varies a bit with prawns available here.But am so so fond of it n makes it often. :)
Update: Veggie pals ..just add plain shallots instead of prawns..n thats the famous Ulli Theeyal..:)





You need to:

Cook cleaned 1 Lbs Prawns/shrimp with 3-4 drumsticks,4-5 slit Green chillies,1/2 cup Sliced onions,1 tsp Turmeric Powder and enough salt in just enough water ,some 1 inch above the prawns.

When the water is bit dried and prawns turn pink,pour in tamarind juice(from a small ball of tamarind,add some initially n keep on adding until u reach your desired tangy level.The more its tangy,more it tastes good..for me I love it that way) and 4-5 cubed chunks of Tomato.Let it simmer for a while.

Meanwhile take a pan ,pour oil n add 1/4 tsp Fennel,1 minced garlic clove, 2-3 sliced shallots(onions can be used,but shallot tastes best..Don add too much,the roasted taste will be diluted) , a 1 inch piece of ginger minced,and a few curry leaves.Saute well.

Now add 1 cup of fresh grated coconut and saute continuously.(Dont move or it'll be charred..:P)

When it turns a shade of dark golden brown, throw in 2-3 tsp of Chilli powder,2 tsp Coiander powder,1/2 tsp Pepper powder n 1/4-1/2 tsp garam masala(make fresh with fennel,star anise,cinnamon,cloves,cardamom).

Switch off the heat n saute to mix well,till the whole things is dark brown(remove from heat,else itl be charred to give a bitter taste).

Keep aside to cool n the blend it in a mixer for 2-3 runs without any water,n after that add very little water n blend to make a paste.

Meanwhile the prawns will be cooked,add a pinch of hing(Asaofetida) to it,and after a minute add the ground masala paste to it,stir and simmer for 4-5 mins.

Do a taste test,add more salt ot tamarind juice and let it simmer for 5 more minutes,under low heat..Keep stirring in between.

Now heat oil in pan,throw in 2 tsp Mustard seeds,1 tsp fenugreek seed,1/4 cup coconut slices,4 -5 broken dry red chillies,lotsa chopped shallots(no onions) n curry leaves.Saute well n fry it..

Pour this over the curry,mix once..close immediately n let it rest for an hour or so before attacking..:D

The color of the dish varies from a golden brown to dark brown depending on how much you have fried your coconut.. :)






Note:

Don't over cook prawns,or you'll get a rubbery thing.

Dont let the coconut paste gravy boil for long.It'll become watery n lose the thick consistency.

Dont add too much of onions while grinding the paste.It'll loose color n flavor.

This dish is a real Nadan Kerala one with lotsa flavors to tickle your taste buds..If you say in Nadan language..nalla erivum puliyum ulla curry..So dont be stingy with spices..Give it some good heat n tangy kick..Both will be nicely blended.n you wont feel like killing spicy or something..:)

This dish might need some practice,because you have to get familiar to that level of browning the coconut n amount of spices to add to it n all,besides as I told there is always a risk of getting it charred.So this one demands your full attention..:P

So..Enjoy your weekend n have a fun fab time cooking n eating ,with spring around.. :)
Hugs
peluk




StumbleUpon

45 Luv'ly people shared their views..:

Superchef said...

great post!! try making roasted potatoes with rosemary, they are yummy!!! the theeyal looks gorgeous..you have become soo much better at ur pics now!

Pooja said...

Looking delicious dear...Nice pics....

Asha said...

Good for you! Think of good things to come, that's the way to go! :)

You beat that poor dog for being a dog! That's what they do by nature, hunt for food on the countryside! :D

Thank you, thank you for Theeyal recipe. I love Theeyal, always make it first thing when we come back from the vacation starving to eat some spicy food.Looks great.

Have a wonderful weekend, we will be out of town both days. But looking forward to today's Ugadi dinner! :))

Mangala Bhat said...

hey Varsha Thanks for stopping by and lovely comments :)
Actully i am vegitarian ..but ur spicy curry is tempting me hehe ..:p
Pics r awsome :)
Thanks :)

Sakshi said...

What a mouthwatering recipe...bcoz of you am getting a bag of prawns every week since I made that Kerala Prawn Roast of urs..now one more to try out and am excited..Love the blue fish in the pic :) :)

I think the unnatural capability of thinking unrelated things in rapid succession is called WIFE according to many great people..and still they have not found a cure for it. Motu, bikki..hmmm nice choice of names...hope u get to name more species in the future ;) btw be extra careful that pappu is not left anywhere near a hose pipe...revenge makes even pets do weird things!!
PS: Waiting for that yummy rosemary bread recipe...i love rosemary!!

Priya Sriram said...

Looks really wonderful this theeyal!! :) with all those yummy pearl onions, drumsticks... ,mebbe I'll try without shrimps...
You have a very good sense for naming pets... he hee... like the names motu, puppu, bikki.. :D

Preety said...

oh you used to have pet chickens that's so sweet..i never had any pet i don't know y but i get scared to death when any animal is even 1 foot away from me:)..

That's a lovely bowl and lovely click too..first i cudn't recognize the dish from the header may be because i am veggie..:) have a nice and suuny weeekend ahead..enjoy

n33ma said...

Varsha this is a perfect looking curry....thou drumsticks in non veg curries in new to me.Today being Ugadi,I dont eat non veg and looking at this curry ,I think I want some now!!!!!!
I absolutely love dogs.....but Marley and me was such a sad ending.
Good thing that u have so many events/festivals coming up ,Its always so much fun.

Trupti said...

curry looks very delicious Varsha & lovely photos..

Same weather here. Waiting for real spring

Poornima Nair said...

The curry is mouth-watering, my grandma used to make something like this...yumm.
While you can think about two completely unrelated issues at the same time, the problem with me is that I go on and on about the same thing until I'm thoroughly satisfied with the decision or outcome or whatever, often driving people crazy:),(of course I enjoy it). "Give it up, will you?"..is a phrase often I hear very often:)

Divya Vikram said...

The chemeen theeyal is too tempting. Am drooling here.

Sara said...

Roasted coconut sounds amazing, I'm sure it goes really well with the prawns!

Ashwini said...

So yummy and very tempting.. Love the color..Happy Ugadi..

Priti said...

Perhaps reading this book may change me too...but am still not in to pets :)...theeyal looks great dear....colour is fab.....Have a gud weekend too

Cham said...

Take a pipe and beating , gosh I cannot believe u ve done that! He he I remember those cuties color chicks, I imagine u were surrounded like a farm gal!
U re killing me with those chemmen babe, I dam love them , but i can just drool it. Hope U ve a better weather even not u can enjoy it!

Deepa Hari said...

Shrimp curry looks delicious Varsha...nice clicks.

Reeni♥ said...

Your pictures are so awesome, this looks so very delicious! Rosemary is so delicious, one of my favorites too!! It's great on roasted chicken or oven fries with some garlic and fresh parmesan. Can't wait to see your bread!

Hema said...

lovely shrimp curry!

5 Star Foodie said...

This shrimp sounds so delicious with the coconut and all the spices! Great recipe!

Sharmilee! :) said...

Prawns curry looks very inviting, And the presentation is doo gud!

Priya said...

Varsha, this prawn curry looks fabulous, lovely presentation with awesome clicks, i like ur fish like plate, its too cute..

Shama Nagarajan said...

yummy !!!!!!!!lovely.....

Varunavi said...

Nice clicks varsha.Loved the recipe.I like malabari cusine-- fish stew,putu.........

Ann said...

Varsha,theeyal looks extermely inviting and spicy....lol on doggie craze..it will be better to take a break after this book and withindays it will be normal..if not,yes varsha,the book might have influenced you that much...haha..overwhelming while reading is natural here too..lovely ..enjoy da.

mathew said...

waah...lipsmacking....we dont get drumsticks or cheriyaulli here though.. :-(

Madhumathi said...

It looks very nice..B'ful clicks.I'm looking forward to your rosemary bread recipe :)

Arch said...

Mouth-watering pics...love prawns, love coconut :) this is simply perfect...great one Varsha...

Nazarina A said...

I will most probably be the last one at the table....still eating!

Soma said...

Simply Mouthwatering! I find shrimp extremely irresistible & if u keep posting such wonderful recipes, i am warning ya .. i will come over without notice:-)Love that oceanic background.

I am one of those disoriented thinkers. My husband still cannot figure out how my mind can jump from one subject to another in seconds. I am talking something & thinking something else..quite crazy, but i like myself that way:-)
I see your love of platters:-) very pretty!

Madhu's cooking gallery said...

Congrats on winning the MCC contest! that pic was lovely!

Make the Impossible...Possible said...

Varsha,

Veendum oru Adipoli....vellam varunnu ..Salivating here...I had prawn fries last week sunday....This week it is chicken...

The moment you said "Nadan"...It's like vellam ollikkyukayanu...

Then Sakshi's definition of WIFE is the "best"..ultimate answer..."Best kanna best"...Sumy

Food Fanatic said...

tht is so pretty! congrats on winning!

A_and_N said...

I cant believe you bred chickens! The gravy looks great so I'll probably give this a try with something veggie :)

Swapna said...

Hi Varsha....thank you for visiting my blog and for those lovely comments....

You too have a good blog.... Chemmeen Theeyal looks really delicious!!! nice click....

Yasmeen said...

Theeyal looks rich and spicy. I think dogs are faithful pets to man,but you know,as a Kid I was attacked by pet dogs twice , then I had to go for those painful injections in the tummy to prevent rabies.baby chickens on other hand are such cute pets:)

Happy cook said...

I love rpsemary i use them alot, especilly inchiekn andwhen i roast potatoes.
Ilove love this chemmen curry, i am bookmarking this to make ( not soon) don't have drumstick, when imake them will be withou it.

sunila said...

Hi Varsha,
Thanks for ur comment on my blog.U have a niceblog and surprisingly I wanted a prawn curry recipe today and when visiting ur blog thats what struck my eye first.tks.

rekhas kitchen said...

Iam a big fan of ulli theeyal this one looks so tempting

sangeeta said...

now i am feeling angry over why you beat up poor motu, that too with a hose pipe....too bad.

prawns are just delicious n i wanna make them right now , with your appams........why i am procrastinating so much.........

hey i have rosemary n oregano in my garden now....had planted sage too but it dint survive.........i just love rosemary n i'll post a pic of my rosemary pot soon.

Valarmathi said...

That looks great.I love shallots in gravy. Nice click.

Maria said...

beautiful pic Varsha!! I've made prawns theeyal once, I think during my initial days of cooking and then I lost that recipe somehow :(. Anyways, we dont get prawns in Bahrain till June-July, so this one has to wait till then:(

Varsha Vipins said...

Thanks everyone..Enjoyed going through your comments..Couldnt respond promptly/individually as I was out on weekend..:)All of your are blaming me for beating Motu..Noone thinking of my poor strangled Bikki..sobs sobs..:(

Smitha said...

Hey, do you know why all those colored chicken die, it's because of that artificial color on them. It's poisonous to them and gradually kills them. I've had those colorful chicks too and never knew why all of them died till my science teacher told me this.

Rajee said...

Great and lovely posts. You're so sweet to grow chickens here. You're so lucky gal too. I love to grow chickens. I'll be always very careful with them but I never kill them for food. I'll grow them till they become big and old. You must take pictures and post it in ur blog which would be a great memory.
Yes, I post more recipes. You can read them in recent posts in exotickitchen.blogspot.com. You can also subscribe to get latest posts in rajikitchen.blogspot.com if u want. See more latest posts in rajikitchen.blogspot.com and let me know. The posts in exotickitchen.blogspot.com is mainly for organising it with post titles for easier browsing.
Hugas.

FoodLovers said...

Hi varsha ,
i made these with aloos it was great
will post the recipe soon at my blog dear
if u get a chance do visit my blog

 
Creative Commons License
Will-O'-the-Wisp is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
.