Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Caribbean spiced shrimp with Pineapple Salsa..!!!

Caribbean Prawns w/ Pineapple Salsa

The word Caribbean brings to mind so many things..First among them is the festive n oh-so-brimming-with-energy tune "Ulalalla lelo..ulalalla lelo.." the one that made us all jump with joy,on one of those World Cup's..Do you remember that?But I had never had a chance to even peek into the cuisines of this wonderful place.It was only recently I saw Cynthia's place n awed at the yummy food there.. :)..We had gone to Mauritius couple of months back,a heavenly island similar to Barbados.Boy..we had so much fun..Its really a piece of heaven ,bestowed upon us graciously by Almighty!!..Talking about food,we did try out so many types of their food and one thing I must say is that,the dishes there are bursting with colors and flavor.All around the island,you can see colorama.Beach babes sipping colorful drinks n basking lazily in sun,greeny palms n bushes,emerald green n turquoise hues on the wide spread of crystal clear ocean,stunning colors of beach umbrella's n more colors on your plate..!!I dunno if the taste n dishes are same in Mauritius n Barbados..just reminiscing the sweet memories.rindu.sigh..!! (I am still nagging him to take me there again,but alas..there are no proper flight routes from here to there it seems..sedih)

Caribbean Prawns w/ Pineapple Salsa

So when I saw the theme of Meeta's MM,I was delighted n decided to try something of Caribbean cuisine,so that we both can munch on n imagine we are back in the heaven.jelir
But again,my lazy n forgetful self took over me,n I totally forgot about it until I recently saw too many Caribbean dishes sizzling everywhere in Blogger world,n gladly saw the deadline extended.So a relieved me started looking for some easy dishes n landed upon this one.Prawns is something I can eat,in any form.The recipe sounded easy n the combo of spices was promising n so flavorful.Allspice n curry powder were the missing stuffs in kitchen,which was luckily found out yesterday in grocery shop.So I put on the Chef's hat..err..I mean apron..n cooked up(I know,its not much of cooking..:D) this delicious prawns fry,sizzling with the aroma of Caribbean spices.I made the pineapple salsa too ( Prawns n pineapple r yum combo..remember my Prawn-pineapple fried rice??)which was great with its sweet n tangy feel.We delightfully dipped, the fresh hot prawns right from the Kadai,into the salsa and then into out mouths..mmmm..It was soo good.Call it a starter or side dish or whatever..Am happy that I made it..!

Caribbean Prawns w/ Pineapple Salsa

PS: Courtesy goes to myrecipes.com .If planning to prepare this,try getting all the ingredients as each of them contributes to the flavor n taste of this yummy fry.Also,I have slightly increased the heat to suit our palate.

For Caribbean spiced shrimp,you need:

1 lbs shrimp/prawn
3/4 Tbsp paprika
1 tsp Jamaican curry powder(available in stores)
1 tsp ground cumin
3/4 -1 tsp ground allspice (available in grocery section)
1/2 tsp ground ginger(ginger powder or paste)
1/2-1 tsp ground coriander
1/4-1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/4 tsp ground fennel (optional)
1/8 tsp ground red pepper
olive oil
Salt


Combine all the spices ,make a paste n dredge the shrimps in it.
Fry in hot oil,flipping sides,till dark brown
Serve hot with Pineapple Salsa.


For Pineapple salsa:

Pulse 1/2 lbs cubed pineapple in a food processor,until finely chopped.
Mix it with 1/2 cup minced onion,some cilantro,1 tsp minced ginger,pepper powder,1/2 Tbsp lime juice,1 Tbsp honey n salt.

Caribbean Prawns w/ Pineapple Salsa


..n this goes to Meeta's Monthly Mingle,hosted by her this time and magnificient click contest of Gayathri.. celebrate

Check out my other Prawn dishes

Now,I want to show you something..



These two pics were sent to me by my sweet friend Sakshi,n today morning when I opened my mailbox,I was so elated to see the.She made my kerala Prawns roast n Butter chicken for some hungry tummies of friends who visited her home last day..They turned out so yum that the guests almost ate their fingers n suggested her to open a restaurant.sengihnampakgigi .So a delighted Sakshi,shared her pretty pics with me ..Slurrrpppp..no?
Sakshi is a person whom I met through this blogging,n am so glad I did.She is now a very close friend.Some of you might have sure noticed her long ,sweet n funny comments on my posts.She is not yet into food blogging(I hope I can push her into that soon..:P)..,but she takes amazing pics n writes even more amazingly..I swear!!..Guys n gals ..go check her out!!..She is so full of energy that ,she finds the best way to spend it by cooking atleats 10 dishes a day..gelakguling
So thanks a ton to you sweetheart,you made my day!!!..n pls keep sending more pics..love
..n lots n lots of thanks to Priya,Gita,Smitha,Vidhya,Vibaas for passing all those esteemed awards which are adorning my side bars now.. :)

PS: I have cleaned some more widgets n changed the inline comment form too.As you might notice,comment form opens now in the Blogger page.If u still face probs leme know..Even if the system seems to be stuck,that'll take only a few seconds.So pls pls be patient.n if someone got a clue,why this is happening,n leme know,I'll be more than thankful!!
Hugs peluk
StumbleUpon

61 Luv'ly people shared their views..:

Priya Sriram said...

Crispy and yummy shrimps dear! Picture is just perfect! :)
Will surely check out your friend's blog too! Good luck to her!

Suma Rajesh said...

plzz pass on that plate...i am drooling..

Yasmeen said...

Delicious succulent shrimp, paprika must give the shrimp the bright color and unique taste.
Cooking 10 dishes a day,Sakshi sure looks like a enthusiastic foodie:)

Maya said...

Oh wow, those shrimp make me drool..Must be excellent with pineapple salsa. Yum yum.

Ashwini said...

Wow looks so crispy with very drooling color...Lovely pictures..Yummyyy

veggie belly said...

Very nice! I love the glass plate! I'll eat pineapple on anything except pizza!

Joie de vivre said...

What a great entry for the mingle. Pineapple salsa sounds fabulous.

Hema said...

picture says everything! wanna taste that crispy shrimp!!!

Ann said...

Colorful and yummy varsha..hope you have enjoyed cooking and having this one...Great amazing clicks..!!

rekhas kitchen said...

looks so delicious dear and thank u so much for your lovely comment in my place and sweet rice is not a payasan that looks like a sweet pulao not in a liquid texture

Lavanya said...

looks super yumm..nice pics too!!

Sharmilee! :) said...

Looks very crispy and clicks are great! Seems like ur page takes much time to load....or something wrong from my end???

Divz said...

tht looks so yummy...but i doubt whether in india we get all those masalas..so all i can do is drool now!!

Cham said...

That is a great appetizer :) I would love to taste with the salsa!

Suparna said...

Hi Varsha,
My first time here :) You have a superb blog!! u r damn neat in cooking!! cool.
TC

Selba said...

So yummy.... I'm drooling!

Priya said...

Very tempting spiced shrimps Varsha...Really inviting...

Akal's Saappadu said...

i'm hungry now!!!
caribbean shrimps look crispy and perfect; and pineapples make a perfect pair with the prawns!!!

the butter masala and the prawns roast look delicious too; yummm...

Madhumathi said...

I have tasted shrimp only once at my friend's place...your shrimp looks crispy and i wanna have some now..Pineapple salsa sounds delicious!

Shama Nagarajan said...

wow dear.....absolutely perfect...yummy too.....

MeetaK said...

i love shrimp and this dish looks lovely. i really like the way this is spiced. perfect flavors! great to have you join us at the mingle!

Priti said...

Love all the pics..looks so delicious dear..wonderful entry

Kitchen Flavours said...

Wow shrimps are my favourites. Looks yum and spicy. Enough to make me drool......

Chitra said...

thats a colorful picture,i can only enjoy watching it:)cant try:(iam a vegetarian varsha.....Hope u enjoyed eating it!!thanks for dropping by blog and 4 ur wonderful comments, keep commenting:)

Ushanandini said...

Oh! so yummy, crispy and colorful shrimp...

Asha said...

Yippee! More Shrimp recipes for me!! Looks delicious with Pineapple salsa. I love the gravy dish too, bookmarked! :)

Comment section is working. Some blogs don't show comments at all, don't know how to contact then with e mail not listed.

Danielle said...

Oh Varsha! This Shrimp dish looks wonderful! I love carribean inspired food and this combo looks like a real winner! Thanks for sharing it.

Sakshi said...

God if I knew you were gonna put those pics on ur blog I would have at least taken the time to make it look good or maybe paste my beaming face along with the platter...after all making it to ur blog is nothing less than the Guinness Book of records na...My lifetime of fame..lol Thanks sweety for honouring me this way.
U forgot to mention that ur prawn recipe was so tasty that it is a miracle my guests got to tasty it as I was munching them throughout while making the other dishes and almost made a devilish mental plan of hiding the whole thing in the fridge so that I can eat it next day...
Btw...is it a miracle or just a coincidence that I see my blog hits increasing all of a sudden since ur post?? U have given me the best gift...UR BLOG FANS reading my post...wow!!!

Trupti said...

shrimp looks very delicious Varsha.

5 Star Foodie said...

The shrimp sounds very flavorful with all the spices and I love this pineapple salsa!

Soma said...

My tummy is making big noise for these:-) I cannot resist any kind of shrimp & these have the lovliest colors! I am salivating ..really.

Happy cook said...

Wow just looking to that prawn makes me drool and then ontop of it you show me your other prawn dishes too, you are trying to kill me with my own drool :-)

Premyscakes said...

oh, i am drooling over it. looks so tempting.

Ramya Bala said...

Wow...lots of prawns here...pass it on to me ;)crispy are those shrmps..YUMMY :)

A_and_N said...

Loved the salsa in particular! Looks extremely FRESH!

Smitha said...

Wonderful. Love the colors and the snaps. I've noticed a similarity in the taste between caribbean n indian food. The caribbean ingredients too will be very familiar to an indian cook.

Poornima Nair said...

Shrimp looks so yummy, very tempting...the salsa is one of my favorites.

Maria said...

Awesome pics, Varsha!! really great!! I feel like having prawns right now, hhmm...

Superchef said...

wow..i just loved that pic and the colour of the shrimp!!! too good!!

AnuSriram said...

Gorgeous pictures! Nice click! Well done..

Reeni♥ said...

I love Caribbean dishes! This looks fantastic! The pineapple salsa sounds so tasty. It may be the live activity feed widget. I had one and had to take it off, and I know someone else who did the same. You could try it without and if it doesn't make a difference put it back on.

mona said...

Shrimps are my fav in sea food category. Your giant shrimp are making me hungry!
Its my first time too at your blog, glad that you stopped by.

Preety said...

wow those looks so good..i wish i can make those for my hubby..but i can surely make the salsa as i ahve pineapple..but i have to think for its pairing now..

Vicky Xavier. said...

Shrimp looks delicious with pineapple salsa. Nice pics.

Sujatha said...

Nice picture! I can feel the crunchiness from your picture itself.. I thought I was done with my dinner, but you are making me hungry again :)

Arch said...

looks so good...i've been so vegetarian the last few months and these pics are so tempting - got to go right out, pick up stuff and try and make this...pineapple salsa sounds wonderful

VineelaSiva said...

Hai Varsha

2dy i saw ur blog its very colorful i like the way u posting.Its very nice and wonderful.the shrimp looks crispy and yummy and also mouth watering toooooooooo.

vineelasiva

Sharmila said...

Those snaps speak volumes and volumes about your dish! Awesome! :-) I think page loading takes time (it happened to me too )where connectiity speed is slow or maybe it takes time loading everything at once ... especially when the snaps file size is big.

Valarmathi said...

Looks yummy. Nice presentation and great click.

vidhas said...

Varsha, enjoyed reading. Kindly check out my blog, something is waiting. I was about to send you a mail regarding the problems i face while commenting, but you have rectified before, good job Gal.

Purva Desai said...

They look crunchy and juicy.....
Nice click dear..

Bundle of awards waiting for you, collect it from my blog

Raaga said...

I must try the pineapple salsa... your pics are lovely.

mathew said...

God forbid..i dont eat the laptop screen seeing this...i can make that 3 prawn pieces disappear in seconds..and the butter chicken looks heavenly too....seems like this fascination for the 'shrimps' might actually cause me to visit a 'shrink' soon!!:-P

Laavanya said...

Pineapple salsa has all my attention... :)

Deepa Hari said...

Love the color of the shrimp...looks mouthwatering....Nice clicks.

Vishali said...

Hey Varsha....

Shrimp looks delicious..I am allergic to Shrimp but I will sure try this one for my hubby...its a good one..

Cheers,
Vishali

Joie de vivre said...

Just came by to say hi! Thanks for visiting!

Ana Powell said...

Hi Varsha
Loved your Caribbean prawn recipe.
Beautiful, exactly what I really love.
With your permission I am taking the recipe with me.
Have a lovely weekend x

Varsha Vipins said...

Thanks everyone..yeah..the paprika n all other spices makes the shrimps so delectable..!!..Divz..I guess yeah.some things wont be available in India..Hope atleast some of others would try n love the dish..

Malar Gandhi said...

Looks too good, love it. Hmmm pineapple salsa, crispy shrimps...yummy.

zlamushka said...

Gosh, this is a fantastic recipe, Vasha. Glad to have read that you would like to be cooked from in my T&T event, however it is no longer my choice :-( I have passed on the hosting batton, so that hostesses decide on blogs of the month. Would you like to host the event? I have some free spots from September onwards.

 
Creative Commons License
Will-O'-the-Wisp is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
.