Monday, February 2, 2009

Mashed Beets in a Coconut-yogurt gravy and tempered..Beetroot Pachadi..!

So it was a 2 days break from blogging.Weekend was nice n cozy,n as usual am fighting hard with Monday Blues..:p.On Friday evening 5 of us blogger gals from nearby areas met up.It was exciting n fun to meet people ,whom you are familiar with only through the virtual world.We had chit-chat about so many things,yeah..food too,had snacks n parted with the promise to meet soon..:)..So just in case,if it inspires any of you gals out there to arrange something like this..Its fun..:)

..n yeah..Am so excited to tell you all that I am now all set for baking.I bought a loaf pan,muffin pan,cup,parchments,AP flours,baking powders n all the stuffs needed for a successful baking.Now only thing I am lacking is a good cam..:D..I know..you might be thinking,what is the role of a cam in baking.Just that,I don't want to take clumsy pics of my "hard- earned" bread/muffin,like what I am doing now.Am soo sad,when I see these pics..please bear with me for these..So I am still googl'ing for a good cam.I don't rely Cannon anymore,even though many tell to go for one.Any suggestions gals??




Today's recipe is again a Sadya special.Beetroot kichdi/pachadi is what its called.Beets cooked and mashed in a coconut-yogurt gravy and tempered.Its really tasty with its sweetness and subtle spicy flavor.The tempering makes them indeed a gastronomical delight.With hot white rice and a spicy main dish,this goes well as a side dish.I am a big fan of all coconut-yogurt dishes.Sambar is my favorite dish n they all go so well with it.For Sadyas,this item is mainly seen in Northern part of kerala,not much in southern areas.So I was not much into it,n it was the first time I made it last week.




Ingredients

1 cup Beet chopped

4-5 Green Chillies

1 tsp Chilli Powder

1 cup Fresh Grated Coconut

1 inch lengthy Ginger piece

1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds

1/2 tsp Cumin seeds

2 -3 Tbsp Yogurt


For Tempering:

1 tsp Mustard seeds

1/2 tsp Fenugreek seeds

1 tsp Urad Dal

2-3 Dried Red Chillies

A lot of curry leaves

Salt

Oil


Method


Cook the beets with 2 green chillies,1 tsp Chilli powder and some salt in a close pan or cooker.

When its cooked well,mash it well with back of a ladle/in a mixer.

Grind coconut with ginger,mustard seeds,chillies and cumin seeds into a thick paste.

Bring it to the pan with beets.Stir n mix well for 2-3 minutes.

Add the yogurt and let it heat through,but dont boil.

Adjust salt and do the tempering.

PS: Feel free to adjust the amount of coconut n yogurt..'cos some don't like the too sweet taste of Beets.So taste n add..:)



Check out other Sadya Vibhavangal(Feast items) with the tag down there..:)
StumbleUpon

31 Luv'ly people shared their views..:

Asha said...

Love Beets, gorgeous color of the Pachadi.

Good luck with baking. Start with quick breads and cakes and then move on to harder ones! :)

I have Sony Cyber-Shot camera. I did buy a Cannon but somehow I prefer the pics of Sony camera. You have to try and then decide, it's a individual choice.

Trupti said...

Pachadi looks tempting Varsha. Nice color. You must be excited for ur first baking expriment & meeting fellow blogger.
Good luck with baking.

Varsha Vipins said...

Thanks for the fast response Asha n Trupti..
Asha..Thanks for the suggestions dear..Hope I bake well..I'll look into Sony reviews..:)

Trupti..Thanks.yeah..am excited..:)

Usha said...

Looks yum....pretty color :-)

Cham said...

What a beautiful color of beet. You should be very excited about the meeting.

Lakshmi said...

Hey Varsha love the beetroot pachadi :) I shall try this and let you know.coz I've 3 beets sitting in the fridge :) And I was happy and excited in meeting all you guys!

sowmya said...

nice colour..lovely pictures..

rekhas kitchen said...

wow ithink you enjoyed a lot and good luck for baking pachadi looks so nise and beautiful color too

vidhas said...

Hi Varsha, Nice to see aveg recipe again ( I am a vegetraian) Beetroot pachadi sounds great.great click. I was also thinking that i should organize al chennai bloggers together and meet. let us see.

Shama Nagarajan said...

lovely colourful pachadi.....yummmy

Poonam said...

yummy bright pachdi!!really tempting

Priya said...

Wat a pretty colour Varsha also healthy pachadi..yummy!!!

Manasi said...

Varsha, borrow cams from some friends, try taking some pics and see what works for you. I was told to get a Canon too but I like the one I have right now much better. Invest is some lights as well, since the harsh flash will kill most food photos.
Btw, you are not doing so bad now :) Love the deep pink-red of the pachadi.

Ann said...

thats truly yummy varsha
Keep the spirit and enjoy baking

Happy cook said...

Beautiful colour , when you give a sadhya i am comming over.

Navita said...

the rred of the beetroot is gorgeous!

Indhu said...

lovely colour... and like Manasi said, your pictures are nice even now :)

and about the cabbage-bell pepper, I see that you have also posted a recipe.. and I really like the way you have taken the picture of the curry with cabbage leaf in the background. But I remember seeing it on someone else's blog... totally forgot where I saw it :)

Varsha Vipins said...

Thanks everyone for the comments n suggestions..I am still googling n mailing pals..Guess I might be relying on cannon once again..Lets see..:)

Clumbsy Cookie said...

What a lovely color! Stunning!

Nithya Praveen said...

Hey Varsha...another wonderful recipe from u...i seem to follow ur blog,i keep checking to c wat u've made:-) The color looks wonderful,i miss sadya food.

Regarding the camera, i have a sony cyber shot,comes too handy.But I prefer cannon, a friend of mine has it and i kinda like that one better,choice is urs...all the best!

Viki Xavier. said...

Lovely pachadi. Glad to hear about ur blogger meet. Its wonderful .. Eager to c ur breads and cakes soon.. Is it for the special upcoming Valentine's Day:)

Malar Gandhi said...

Finally got to read ur blog today...glad that the window didnt multiply! Beet root ka pachadi is my favourite dish. Love beets in all forms...

Wow blogger meet ups, sounds amazing to me...bet you guys had a great time....


also have something for u in my blog...trail back, please

veena said...

varsha
pachadi looks nice ...
ende monde fav aa..me also posted this dish long bak

love
veena

Adlak's tiny world said...

wow varsha.. very nice color of beets here.. so tempting.. we make kootu using moong dhal. wonderful click.

Akal's Saappadu said...

looks yummy and beautiful color!

Vaishali said...

That's a nice beet recipe, Varsha, and I love the color of the dish. It's beautiful.

Varsha Vipins said...

Thanks Indhu n clumbsy cookie..:)

Nithya,oh..am glad to hear this from you..:)I follow you too..:)..am also looking Cannon dr..hope it works fine.:)

Viki..i wont be baking cake nyhow..We both r not cake lovers.but am aiming for breads n muffins..:P..That too not for Val's day..hehe..

Good to see u Malar n thanks for the award..:)

Thanks Veena,Akkal,Hemakka n Vaishali..:)

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Ambili from India said...

Hi Varsha,
I luckily happened to pass thro' u'r blog & presto, this is the kinda site, I was searching for.
Thnk's Dear for the pains to blog-in all these dishes, tht u've made. Gr8 job! I'd also like to know synonyms of cookery items like:-

Hing (Hing: a pinch, >>to be used in LadysFinger Raita, is it Asafoetida Powder?)

Gram Flour (For marinating Mushroom in Tikka)

Blanched spinach (Does tht mean Blended, i do know wht spinach is)

I thought u cld help me out with these things, so thought ab't post'g it here.
Bye.

Ambili from India said...

Hi Varsha,
Cld u post some "Soya chunks" recipies too...since, they r a rich source protein, esp, for veggies..I guess, tht shld hlp a lot of them....

Bye

Varsha Vipins said...

Thanks a lot Ambili..:)
About what u asked,
yes,hinge is Asaoefetida or kayam-kayapodi..
gram flour is our besan or kadalamavu..
Blanched Spinach- Spinach is our cheera and blanching is a process of quick cooking it without losinbg its color n nutrition..For that boil some water n dunk the cleaned spinach in it for a few minutes..3-4 mins n immediately drain n transfer it into a bowl of ice cold water to stop cooking.This way it'll stay bright green n wont lose much nutrients..you can go ahead n blend it or do whatever your dish asks for..!
Hope this helped,do leme know if you have any more doubts..happy to help..:)
Soya chunks can actually be prepared in any form in which I have put chicken dishes here..same masala,chettinad,roast etc..same method n just that you have to boil n cook the chunks first before adding it to gravy..will try post a recipe soon..:)

 
Creative Commons License
Will-O'-the-Wisp is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
.