Monday, February 9, 2009

Kidney Bean-Tofu-Broccoli Stew with Whole Wheat Roti's and a healthy Salad..!!

Weekend went so fast ..in a jiffy..:( ..I never get enough of them..just starts enjoying it and it'll be gone in a blink..I had an abnormally early drag-from-bed today n I feel B o o z e d..!!
Saw some movies this weekend including Mistress of Spices n yeah.. finally Slumdog Millionaire..We were out for Friday night fun and then this English man came near and asked "Have u seen Slumdog?"..We were like..Not yet..So he retorted he had a doubt that he wanted to clear , If we have seen it.After seeing the movie yesterday,we were feeling kind of embarrassed thinking as to,what doubt he might had in store for us that day.Is it whether Indian homes doesn't have a proper lavatory system or is it whether India is so full of crimes or any n questions that may have evoked in a doubtful mind ,on which the movie etched a pathetic face of Mumbai slums or more over India itself.The movie came garlanded with so many applauding reviews and it was just yesterday ,it was again adorned with another prestigious BAFTA award.But speaking personally,ok..I agree the movie has got numerous shades of brilliance and exquisite master work,but being an Indian,at some points of the movie ,I felt like Boyle is using some of the darkest shades ,which might lead people (esply from outside India)to get skeptical,whether that is all India is about .Ofcourse,I do agree the fact about slums,which I have seen and pitied myslef.But thats just an area..India is not all about just that and there are so many good things too, around other than poverty,crimes and atrocities.But may be Boyle's piece of art asks for dark shades only I guess,which I would say he has successfully embellished with impeccable pathos.His movie,he got the right to pick the material and mould.But some of the dialogues sounded outrageous n we were like huh??To sum it all up,being an Indian ,I din't feel quite comfortable after seeing the movie..!
About Mistress of spices,I felt like I am one..So sad,I am too late to change the URL or name..:sobs:..Have nothing to say much about the fairy-tale movie,other than that,Aishwarya Rai is really beautiful n sexy..:green: ..:D



Kidney beans is such a sexy legume..(in a furtive attempt to make a connection..:p)..But seriously I like the way it look..Nice color n figure and one of the most juicy legume out there,perfect for stews and gravies,in which they tastefully absorbs all the goodness and flavor.Combining it with the healthy Broccoli and soft Silken Tofu and stewing..Wah..what a delight.Pep it up really well with some flavorful spices and simmer and you get a lip smacking stew!!My better half is quite allergic toward Kidney beans,n that's why I had to pop in Broccoli's n tofu so that I can bellow,Na..this is not a Kidney bean stew..atleast not alone..:P
I had only silken tofu in hand,you can always use the other type.Tofu's will be kind of invisible fairies in the curry..You cant pick it out exactly,but there will be that faint rich taste n ofcourse loads of goodness..:)
I made some healthy Roti's(Indian whole wheat flat bread) and a healthy salad to give a complete fulfillment to the meal.

Ingredients(For the stew)

1/2 cup Kidney beans

1/2 cup blanched sliced Broccoli

1/4- 1/2 cup Silken crumbled Tofu

Whole spices (cinnamon,cloves,cardamom,bay leaf)

1/2 tsp fennel seeds

1 cup Onions sliced

1/2 Tomato chopped

4 Green chillies

1-1.5 tsp Chilli Powder

1 tsp Coriander Powder

3/4 tsp Pepper powder

1 tsp Garam Masala

2 Tbsp Milk/cream(optional)

Curry leaves

Cilantro leaves

Butter

Salt

Oil




Method

Soak the Kidney beans in water for 5-6 hours.Pressure cook till half done.

In the same cooker or a deep bottomed pan,Pour butter (or oil) and saute the whole spices till fragrant.

Splutter the Fennel seeds and saute curry leaves.

Saute the onions and green chillies till onions are pink.

Add the tomatoes and saute well.

Mean while fry the blanched broccoli's till crisp and keep aside.

Press the crumbled Tofu with a doubled kitchen napkin till its dry.Fry it till golden brown and keep aside.

When the base is really mixed up well,add the masala's(Garam masala only half the amount) n saute till oil comes out.

Add the blanched brocooli's n Tofu and saute well.

Now add the half cooked kidney beans and mix under high heat.

Add the rest of the water form the cooker,close the pan and simmer under med-low heat for about 30 minutes to let the flavors marry and seep into the spongy beans.Don't let the beans n broccoli go mushy.

Adjust salt ,add the milk/cream n simmer for few more mins..and finally sprinkle the rest of the Garam Masala on top.

Garnish with Cilantro leaves.


To make the Rotis: Mix 1 cup of Whole wheat Flour with salt and 1/4 cup water,1 Tbsp milk, 1 tsp Olive oil till it forms a smooth dough.keep aside for 40 mins,divide the dough into balls and roll on to circluar shapes, on a flour sprinkled board.Roast it in Tawa, smeared with butter on both sides.

For the salads: I mixed some lettuces,blached brocoli's,cherry tomatoes and nuts,topped it with a dollop of fat free Ranch and drizzled with pure honey..



..n guess this could go on to mingle with Michelle's n Meeta's other awesome healthy family dinner palates,this month's mingle..!!... StumbleUpon

31 Luv'ly people shared their views..:

Asha said...

Weekends fly by indeed, more work for me than usual but I get more time with family together! :)

What a great healthy thali to go with it. looks Delicious.Olive oil and milk rotis, yum.

Happy cook said...

Yesterday i watched BAFTA award in BBC and slum dog millionaire got some 8 awards.
I din't like mistress of spice.
Love the bean tofu dish . Totally agree weekends just fly.

Superchef said...

such a welcome change to the regular rajma curry i make.ive kinda started getting bored of it..totally agree with your views on slumdog millionaire...as for Mistress of Spices, i have tried reading the book way back but dint quite like it eventhough ive like other books written by the same author! mayb i will like hte movie..btw..is it adapted from the book..im guessing so :)

Malar Gandhi said...

That is a unique combo: legumes with tofu...sounds like lot of protein to me, great recipe.

Cham said...

I like this post, now i realize how the American would have think about India and u should felt so embarassed. If i were u, I will keep saying I didn't watch the movie to avoid many more conversations.... Love the curry with roti

Usha said...

This sounds like a protein rich and healthy stew...looks yum...haven't had a chance to see slumdog yet...

Preety said...

I too didn't watch the movie yet:(..its hard to find time with my 16 month old daughter around:)..BTW i love the combination od kidney beans tofu & broccilli, quite unsual..

Adlak's tiny world said...

I haven't watched the movie yet dear.. yr curry looks awesome with healthy n ptotenious combination of all three...

Yasmeen said...

I'm not sure I'll ever get to watch the movie with our DVD player sabotaged by notorious toddler in the house.Its was nice reading your review though.
I agree about the sex appeal in the beans.Beans and Tofu is a bowl full of protein power:)

Vibaas said...

Stew looks too good. I haven't watched the movie yet and i dont think i'll goto the theater to watch it..so will wait till the DVD is released. Your review is nice, though.

Akal's Saappadu said...

looks good and well balanced.

Vij said...

Yummy curry! I am yet to watch Slumdog!

sowmya said...

love the healthy food..yet to watch those movies..weekend do pass away very soon..

5 Star Foodie said...

This stew looks delicious!

Viki Xavier. said...

Varsha , what a feast to my eyes. I m drooling here. Wonderful combo. Pls visit me.. I ve shown an easy method to get flaky porattas.. (As we both are true fans of poratta).

Lakshmi said...

Varsha stew looks very good and is so healthy with the proteins in it.

Selba said...

Looks definitely very yummy.. would love to try it :)

veena said...

Stew looks delicious dear ..Brocoli and red beans very nice combo ..

Love
veena

Andhra Flavors said...

nice post. it looks delicious.

KF said...

Super Blog!! I liked it..Way of writing..Excellent!!Congrats!!..this recipe is really good combination ,I will try this soon.


Hey dear,I watched Slumdog millionare and I feel so sad about the people in slums and my hubby told me that this is the real picture of slums..It took 2 days to get rid of that feelings from my mind..That kids face and the tough life they are facing make me very sad ,feels like I am helpless as an Indian...The other side u were talking is also correct..But u know ,everybody knows that we Indians are very smart n intelligent ..It really touched me..Hats off to Boyle and the whole team.

Kitchen Flavours said...

Kidney beans are sexy legume.......Hmmmmmm nice post makes me hungry.... Wish we were neighbours .....Gr8 entry..

MeetaK said...

now this is my kind of stew. love all the flavor combinations in this. a great MM entry - thank you!

sangeeta said...

hmmm........
you cook well n you write well...
healthy recipe.

Dershana said...

hey, never have added tofu to kidney beans! looks good. Not watched slumdog till now...but fully agree with you that it sometimes give us the squirms that western movies still depict India as a land of snake charmers, poverty, and slums only!

Sia said...

i liked SM movie but i don't think it deserves 10 oscar nominations for it!!!
and regarding the curry, it sure deserves oscars in cooking if we can have one ;)

AnuSriram said...

That looks lovely.... Packed with lot of proteins, it makes a wonderful meal..

Curry Leaf said...

Love the dish-very healthy with veggies and tofu.The rotis have come out perfectly and are hearty.Its an area I need to work on.
I agree with you,tofu is an invisible fairy in curries.I sometime look at awesome baked tofu pics and wonder when I will get it done perfectly.I keep trying as always.In curries like this I also add it after crumbling.Love the dinner

Ann said...

Hmmm.yummy and healthy..looks like you are enjoying life...go on.

Varsha Vipins said...

Thanks one n everyone for your valuable comments..:)
I guess most of you go with me in opinion abt SM..But then as I told,we are helpless here..I join with Sia about the opinion about Oscar nominations..
Curry leaf,about Tofu am also an amateur..I just got one pack of silken one n I dunno even,how the other type of Tofu will look like..:P.Nyhow..am dying to try some croquettes with it..:)

Madhu said...

Hey first thanks for commenting on my blog..
Im here for the first time..and your blog is lovely.I like the way you write.Your recipes are great too.
I watched the slumdog movie.And i felt exactly what you felt.
The platter looks mouthwatering and its healthy too :)

Nithya Praveen said...

Am back again:).Brocolli and kidney beans is indeed a wonderful combo...looks yum! I did watch Slumdog Millionaire and dint like it much Varsha.I felt it potrays India in a bad light...wat surprised me was my friends sitting in India enjoyed the movie...i wanted to break their head:).

 
Creative Commons License
Will-O'-the-Wisp is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
.