Saturday, February 28, 2009

Authentic Central Kerala Sambar..!!



I am glad to know that many of u liked my me-me's .. Thanks so much for your lovely replies.. peluk ..I am eagerly waiting to read yours.. :)


Talking about that,I always love going through reader comments,be it short or long.. I really appreciate it n sometimes it just makes my day.. :) Like,for one of my older posts,a reader who is not a blogger(that makes it so special.. :) ) ,her name is Bushra ,commented me that a blog like mine is a blessing to people new to cooking,n she has successfully tried so many of my recipes etc..I felt so elated the whole day(especially that was a sincere comment as she is a non-blogger just commenting to let me know her wishes..) as I could bring happiness to her and it really inspired me to post more..Thanks so much Bushra.. :).We have nothing to loose ,mebe a few seconds or a minute,but that would definitely bring a smile n give encouragement to another person.About non-bloggers too..same thing..They just Google for dishes,comes here,conveniently takes down the recipes n enjoy.But never bothers to say a Thank you or any good word..So bad of them..!! For all those who are reading this,please acknowledge efforts of other people.You are getting to see,enjoy n sometimes learn new things,which we are are putting up with some effort.So be nice enough to say atleast a "Hi","Hello" or "Thanks".. :)


Coming to today's recipe,Its a part of Kerala Sadya recipes,a simple Sambar in my mom's style ie,Central Kerala style.I guess I have said so many times here and commented in other blog's too,how much I love Sambar.I am more a Non-vegetarian and are inclined to those dishes anytime.But if I have to choose a veg dish,anytime it'l be Sambar.My love for it comes almost equal to that for Non veg.Back in my home,I used to make my Mom prepare this dish almost everyday.I never gets tired of it.. lapar ..Drizzled with some ghee, n paired with hot rice,its pure heaven.After I came here and started cooking on my own,I got it that its not easy to make a good Sambar.Each time I wipes my sweat n sighs after dishing out Sambar,I vouches that I wont make it any time soon.But again after couple of days,the craving starts n there I go again.. :P Initially I was not able to make a tasty Sambar.After that I took tips from mom,which definitely helped me,but still it comes nowhere near to her's.May be daal and Masala powders here are not that good n also that kaipunyam also.. sigh



I'll combine the ingredients n method this time.. :)

cook 1/2 -3/4 cup Toor dal with 1/2 tsp Oil and some salt.

Meanwhile clean and chop 1 -1.5 cup Veggies of your choice.I use Potatoes(thats not an ingredient of authentic Sambar.Brahmin Sambar never uses it.I love potatoes,so its there),chopped onions,long beans,carrots,drumsticks,tomatoes,Okra's etc.

After the dal is cooked,there are 2 ways in which you can do..
1)Open the lid,mash it with back of the ladle.Now add 1.5 cups of water,1/2 tsp turmeric powder,3 tsp Chilli powder,1/2 tsp Asaofetida/kayam and stir to mix well.

or

2) While dal is cooking,in another pan saute and fry the chopped veggies with 3- 4 tsp Chilli powder and when fully coated n roasted put into the cooker with dal.Add enough water,tamarind juice,asaofetida and close the lid to cook.I have found that this method gives a better taste as the veggies will be slightly fried n firm n the chilli powder also roasted to give a great aroma.If following this method,you can fry n add okra also at this stage.

Soak a lemon size Tamarind in water,and extract the juice.

After a minute or two or boiling add the tamarind juice,veggies(minus tomato n Okra.Okra makes sambar slimy if added at this stage),close the lid and let it whistle 2 times.

When the veggies are cooked,open the cooker and add the cut tomatoes(1 large tomato) n stir well.Adjust salt,n if needed add more tamarind juice.

Lightly Fry the Okra's in some oil and add it to cooker too.(frying makes it firm).

Close n let the tomatoes n okra's get soft.

Meanwhile dry roast 4 tsp Coriander Powder in a pan and add it to the Sambar and stir well.(Mom says boiling coriander powder for long spoils the taste,thats why we add towards the end) .

Keep in simmer for a while.

Now add the Coriander leaves to the sambar.(optional,but adds great flavor)

Sprinkle 1/2 tsp Methi Powder(Fenugreek powder) too n after a minute switch off the heat.

After this do the tempering.ie,In a generous amount of hot coconut oil+ghee,add 2 tsp mustard seeds,1 tsp fenugreek seeds,5-6 dried red chillies,lots of curry leaves and fry.Don't skimp with curry leaves.. :p

Add 1/2-1 cup sliced pearl onions/shallots to it(Its a real taste maker.dont skip this).I add 2-3 tsp of Eastern Sambar powder(I love its flavor n taste) to it and fry everything well.

Now pour this to Sambar and mix well.Close the lid to let the flavors get set.




Ever-so- tasty sambar is ready .. lapar ..Sambar gets dry in course of time.So better dont make it too thick.Adjust the amount of water while cooking .. :)




This is Central Kerala style Sambar.I have seen Varutharacha Sambar also..Recently saw Veena of Curry world put that lovely one..Sambar lovers,go there n try it too.. :) Would love to try that one..But that needs lil more effort than this n bet needs some expertise too .. :D ..But like she told it there,the taste should be all worth it.. :)

So all of you who like Sambar ,try it n lemme know how you liked this one.. :)
..n am sending this to WYF Indian Cuisine..
n My Legume Love Affair, an event started by Susan and hosted by Laurie of Mediterranean Cooking in Alaska for the 9th helping.. and also to Lentils Mela by Ashwini of Ashwini's Spicy Cuisine.

If you are a Sadya lover,do check my other Kerala Sadya recipes too ..I am trying to post one-by-one..:) StumbleUpon

60 Luv'ly people shared their views..:

Shama Nagarajan said...

Sambar looks inviting....lovely recipe....take care dear....

Premyscakes said...

i would like to have both now now, it is lunch time here, it looks so inviting.

Indhu said...

the sambar looks wwoww :)
excellent picture. As for trying to match my mom's skill in cooking... I have been a total failure so far :)

Ann said...

That was a nice read Varsha..I have found one thing,i mean one special thing about you,is that you are transparent to the core..
Hmmm,whatever you have scribed here is true,even i feel the same sometimes..But i think the dignity is always let others do whatever they please Varsha..Let them come or comment or not..Just go on and on..And as such its a passtime or a serious one (blogging),which we derive pleasure from..I think we dont have to be much commited towards anything..jus keep the balance and go..I love that one dear..
And i absolutely appreciate the kind words you shower on almost all blogs.(chweetie you have a big heart)
And without those sambar,how we are going to survive ? Picutres look yummy and i wish i can have lunch with you dear..

Madhumathi said...

Very well written ,Varsha..Whatever I was thinking in my mind ,you have written them here..I feel so happy and wanna post more recipes in my blog when I see those good comments..They make us more enthusiastic,rite?

The pictures are b'ful and im drooling at the sambar :)

Asha said...

Great post! I feel the same way!!
Saying hello to people who take time to come to you regularly or if you try the recipe from someone, if you say "Thank you" to them, it's common courtesy! I wish everybody realizes that. I don't take anybody's comment for granted, always appreciate it. I try not to blog on weekends and holidays unless I am free and I make sure I do leave a short and long note to everybody who come to me regularly.

I have some readers say "it's boring to say "it's delicious" every time, so I just don't do it at all"!! Guess what? I do the same thing to them! If you don't have time for me, I don't have time for you either!;D

Kerala Sambhar is super delicious, I tried it one, fell in love with it. Photo is gorgeous, I will try this recipe! :)

Hugs to you my friend, have a great Sunday!

Mediterranean Turkish Cook said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I really enjoy eating Indian food and in fact, I have tried making it more than one ocassion. I am hoping to try some of your recipes sometime.

Priya said...

Wow wat a terrific colour..looks sooooo good!!!

veena said...

lovely sambar dear

Poornima Nair said...

The sambar looks yummy...I could drink the whole bowl as soup, just love sambar...
I completely agree with what you have written earlier...while it feels great to be appreciated one has to reciprocate too...

5 Star Foodie said...

Sounds so comforting and yummy - perfect for a snow day like today!

sangeeta said...

hey i love samber n i make my own version which i learnt from a andhraite friend.......but this one looks like i need to try........i love samber so much i can have it like a soup.......
about people not commenting.......let them be like that...afterall we are here to enjoy our own things.......you know..

Smitha said...

Nice pics varsha. I too love recieving comments. Well, who doesn't?And the sambar looks yummmmmmmmm...

mathew said...

aahh..after reading this am just having serious doubts whether the stuff what I was making all along in the namesake of Sambhar was actually so..this is truly king's sambhar..I dont ever think will have the patience make it like this..looks lipsmacking delicious.

Heather said...

yum! that looks delicious! beautiful presentation!

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

Sambar looks very colorful and tempting Varsha!
Yeah even I have visited some blogs n times and commented n times but no response.. I also try to respond to all those who drop comments in my blog. good post.

Madhu's cooking gallery said...

First time here and Wow.. superb recipes! looks delicious! Nice click, awesome presentation! and you have a wonderful space here

Deepa Hari said...

Nice write up Varsha...even i feel the same...it has happened to me too...some bloggers do that...just ignore them and continue your goodwork....Sambar looks lovely...even i am a great fan of sambar...i am drooling now looking at your pic.

Nithya Praveen said...

I absolutely agree and totally relate to you.Awesome sambhar.....can i have lunch with you???? your pics are enuf to drive anyone crazy for the food:-P

Priya Sriram said...

The authentic colorful sambar makes me want to taste it right away (eventhough I had my lunch just now ;) )! Wonderful one Varsha!

Reeni♥ said...

Your Sambar looks very delicious! I bet it is almost as good as your Mom's! I am surprised to hear that there is rivalry among bloggers. I haven't seen or heard this before. Although I have left lots of comments and followed blogs that I like to never get a comment or any kind of acknowledgment from them, which I think is in bad taste. But I have made so many sweet friends, like you, that those few don't matter.

Andhra Flavors said...

I made andhra sambar and chennai sambar.
Actually I am waiting for kerala sambar recipe.
Thanks for sharing delicious sambar.

Vibaas said...

thanks for your wishes, V :) Will definitely pass it to the little dude. Sambar looks so yummy and tempting. i want to have it now :)

Sakshi said...

After reading your post I got to know two things
1. Why I am never able to blog regularly; You know I end up posting almost a blog as comments on other people's blog. I just want to let them know how much I love it that they keep me entertained on a daily basis. I want to be sure that you guys will keep on blogging so that I have the best of the time on the internet. How wicked of me!!! I am scared that one day I will wake up and see that none of my fave bloggers have blogged and I would have to rack my brain and make a post in my blog after all and worst if you food bloggers don't share a recipe what will happen to my family after eating my own creations!!! Don't worry sweetheart if I got even half of the comments you get I would have gone into a coma with too much excitement inside my brain!!
2. Eeeeps so what I was making till now doesn't qualify to be called a sambar from any angle. psst psst hoping my hubby never comes across this authentic recipe and realise what blunder he has been gobbling up till now!!
You keep the posts coming ok?? don't worry abt those sneaking ppl they love ur blog too!!

Varsha Vipins said...

Good to hear that you all liked my Sambar n so many of u have felt the same like me regarding the comment thingy.. :)
Like Ann said, mebe I shouldnt be too committed and enjoy what I am doing right now.. :)
Asha also have a point..Its better to avoid ,who avoids us.. :p
Sangeetha n Reeni,I appreciate your words n yes I am glad that I get to hear from you sweet people :)
Sakshi..:)) I have no plan of stopping like that da..n your coma comment kept me ROFL =))
Do try this sambar ok?,n thanks for cute long comment.. :)
Hugs :)

Ramya Bala said...

I just loved ur sambhar,it is so very tempting and I saw the varutharacha meen kulambu in related posts..after posting this comment,am gonna have a check that recipe.... :)will soon try it :)

Cham said...

Great post Varsha! You are much straight forward gal, I love it (u) he he don't mistake me..I usually blog twice or even once a week, there are even people blog everyday, I keep visiting them and leave my trace. It will just boost a new blogger to keep going...I didn't know there is a politics... But As Asha said I don't take anything granted!
I know people when they post something new they just come and leave comment 2 others blog (another category)
I love more often peek to someone else blog and comment than posting a recipe. It is kind saying hello, u cook some good food in ur kitchen!
See I also try to forget ur sambar, U really improved ur photo quality with ur new camera! Sambar is droolworthy!

KF said...

Engane comment idathe pokum!!! Ayoooo...Ellam marannu poyi!!..Thamashichatahto!!! Sambar adipol!!Oru different veg dish anweshiche vannatha...Ragma try cheythalo ennoru moham..

RAKS KITCHEN said...

Great pictures varsha! Sambhar looks so yummy!

Divz said...

hey varsha..ur sambhar looks delectable..
and needless to say...all kind of ppl exists around u..good, bad and the ugly!! so chill baby..

Lakshmi said...

Hey the sambar looks great Varsha and awesome pics :) I'll wait for ur varutharacha sambar !

Sanghi said...

Lovely clicks and wonderful recipe!!:)

sowmya said...

superb pictures..presented a daily meal so beautifully...absolutely tempting..

Shama Nagarajan said...

hai varsha...please do check this and gv ur suggestions

http://myhandicraftscollection.blogspot.com/2009/03/kids-friendly-crafts-event-round-up.html

notyet100 said...

sambhar looks authentic varsha ,..thnks for sharin,..

Vicky Xavier. said...

This is the recipe I have been searching for a long time. Sambars in kerala are really yummy.
Then about that comments part.... love your frankness very much dear.
Comments are like caffeine for us. I always look for ur sweet comments after posting my recipes:) and u are very prompt.
Learning a lot from u dear.

A_and_N said...

Well, I dont want to get into the politics part of it but it is unanimous that the sambar looks great! The picture especially is very pretty :)

vidhas said...

Hi Varsha, I totally agre with you. Yummy sambhar. Lovley clicks. I should learn how to take photographs from you. Awesome clicks, makes people so tempting to have right now.

Yasmeen said...

Rice with spicy sambhar,life is good!
Sahi kaha aapne,a short thank you note is enough to boost our efforts here:)

Malar Gandhi said...

Dude, sambar picture is breath taking, wow! Love it! A must try recipe for me...I am a sambar maniac, ha ha.

I have observed, you leave sweet words maximum possible to others. I too do that whenever possible...sometimes it goes endless, I pay attention and read the whole thing b'4 commenting you know....

Superchef said...

that sambar looks just delicious!!!! wish i had seen this post during the weekend itself, then i couldve made it :D:D

Soma said...

Politics in the blog world sucks! but the kind I am, I just do my part:-) forget (& forgive? maybe)what others are doing. .. it does feel once in a while to get appreciation from people who never have time to visit... but really some bloggers do seem like they are extra busy:-) I'm trying to be nice here u see...

That color of the sambar looks awesome. When i was in school, I had lots of friends from kerala, & everytime we visited them, we would be sniffing around the kitchen. my fav. would be the shrimp pickle with sambar & rice. Looks like u stay too far away from me:-(

Preety said...

wow i love sambhar..its been so many days since i had it..i don't make it at home because i never get the good results as i want..yours looks perfect and lovely color too

Muneeba said...

Thks for visiting my blog Varsha. I'm an absolute nut when it comes to loving South Indian food ... my parents thing I must've been switched at birth! My hubby and I CRAVE sambar sometimes ... I don't suppose you could ship over a big pot of it?! ;)

Paru ... said...

Lovely sambhar, amazing color :)

Smitha said...

Btw, Cud not find your post on biryani. Send me a link please. Would love to have a look at it.

AnuSriram said...

Thats a lovely sambar Varsha.. Nice presentation and bet it would have tasted heavenly!

easycrafts said...

Lovely colour of the sambar...thanks a lot for the entry

Sonal said...

...hey nice presentation !! sambar looks really yummy!!
but the thing that brighten my mood was witt in your writing!! interesting and funny.and thats true ..even i realised that i read recipes but dnt generally put a comment ..i dnt know wht excuse i will give as its just unintensional ( as i read the recipe and then run into the kitchen ); but for the next time i will..do comment religiously. :)
will sure come back for more.
Sonal

Roopa said...

Aha Varsha, so you too use Eastern is it?? I love that aroma which Eastern brings and it was introduced to me by my fil, ...I have often wondered what it is they out in Eastern which makes it soooooo droolworthy tasty :) I even use them as masala in other dishes.
our Sambar tips is worth trying, I too love Sambar like you, its my favorite veg gravy. I can just say sluuuuuurp for now :( ......I too agree with you on the commenting section, I had similar experiences with other members and I stopped totally commenting on theirs and after a while I got a comment from the respective person(s) , and I chose to ignore it initially, but then thought , whats the difference b/w them and us if we do the same to them.

Simply Innocence said...

I am happy the way what u wrote in ur blog. Some well-known bloggers always say proudly that they dont hasve time to visit other blogs and give comments. I wonder how lucky they are and their family too to get more than 20 comments in their blog in thier every new post. It would be only nice only if the bloggers must share, visit and encourage other bloggers too. I advise everyone who dont get comments from the well-known bloggers should forget them or just view thier blog without wasting your time to comment them.
If anyone enjoys in reading my comment in this blog, then pls let me know so that I know who are they totally agree with me atleast.
Varsha, I wish you to write the way I write in ur next post if u're totally agree with me.
Your sambar looks so inviting without turmeric gives reddish in color. Hugs.

Anisheetu said...

first time here...U have a lovely blog.. all pics are wonderful...

Jazeera Tameez said...

hai varsha ur blog is amazing....the first recipe i tried in urs is sambhar....It came out really very well..Thanks for the recipe...going to try more recipes from here...

Varsha Vipins said...

Thanks everyone..:)
jazeera,,thanks a lot..:)

Parvathy said...

Thanks for the recipe..I will try it out.I just love the dish..but every time I make it ,something will go wrong..anyways let me try this out..

Varsha Vipins said...

Thanks Parvathy.do lemme know..I have made some modification now in the recipe,with what I learned from experience..Hope that helps you too..:)

Parvathy said...

I prepared sambar yday....it was the best sambar i have ever made.we finished the whole dish in minutes...thank you so much

Varsha Vipins said...

thnks parvathy..so glad it worked well..do try with the modifications I have added ,mebe even better..:)

deedee said...

Finally I have been able to recreate a proper Kerala sambar. Have tried many recipes from different blogs.. nothing ever came out quite right. Yours looked very different (esp adding sambar powder the end etc.).. but yet I said never-give-up and tried yet another kerala sambar. I am glad I did.. THIS IS PERFECT! Thanks a ton.
-first time visitor

Varsha Vipins said...

Thanks Deede,glad you liked! :)

 
Creative Commons License
Will-O'-the-Wisp is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
.