Thursday, February 5, 2009

Hot n Spicy Kerala Mutton Curry..n some awards..!!

Haa..Finally am in with a Non-veg dish.Now a days ,I feel like , am more interested to make a Veg post rather than a Non-veg one..Just 'cos I know,if I make a Non-veg post I am gonna miss so many sweet comments from you all..Most of my readers who visit n comment are Veggie people...(This doesn't imply that you shouldn't comment..you can jot down about my pics or bla bla's or nything..!!..:D)Interestingly I have also noticed that,bogger world is largely occupied by Vegetarians n Vegans.But sadly,am always a big Non-veggie fan..:D..I always wait for weekends,so that I can cook n have yummy Non veg treats..Its an age old custom ,which started in my home.Meat was always meant for weekends.When I started cooking,I also followed it.Moreover,its the only time when we both can sit n have a relaxed meal,enjoying every bit of it..:)

I always go for chicken,but once in a while indulge in Mutton too,the tastiest meat out there.Its juicy n so flavorful.But quite fatty,which obviously makes it tasty.One fine method is to pressure cook with lot of water and then skim off the fat from top.I alway go for lamb with bone,as I love to suck it endlessly..:D..This is my first Mutton post ,so a new label is born today..:)



The taste maker of this curry is Shallots/pearl onions/small onions.In most of the restaurants out there in Kerala,which are famous for Mutton dishes,the main ingredient is nothing other than Shallot.They are more tasty and slightly sweet as compared to our normal onions.Hence they give a magical taste to all curries,especially Non-veg.Its darn costly here in US,still I always keep it in stock.For temperings and chutneys n curries,I cant do without it.Many of us tend to be lazy when it comes to using shallots,'cos if using in bulk ,as in for curries,Its a pain to skin it.There is an easy trick for that.Soak the shallots in warm water (can MW also) for 5-10 mins,after which the skin will be so loose and a tight grip at the rear end of it will make the bulb come out easily.




Now verdict about the dish is,it was super yummy..soo spicy n flavorful n I paired it with some Neychoru(Ghee Rice) which turned out to be a gastronomical delight..I tend to stick on to one particluar recipe,if I find it too good n so I'll be making this again.In short,I dunno if I'll be making more Mutton posts here..:D


Ingredients


1 Lbs of Mutton/Lamb

Section 1

Whole spices (cardamom,cloves,cinnamon,mace)

1 tsp fennel seeds

1 Tbsp ginger paste

1 Tbsp garlic paste

4 Green Chillies

1 tsp Turmeric Powder

1 tsp or little more of Chilli Powder

1 Tbsp Vinegar

A lot of Curry Leaves


Section 2

1 Tbsp of chopped Ginger n Garlic

Curry leaves

2 cups of thinly sliced Shallots(can take Onions instead,but you know which tastes better!!)

1 Medium sized Tomato chopped(should come near 1-1.5 cup when cubed)

2 tsp Chilli Powder

1.5 tsp Coriander Powder

1 tsp Pepper powder

1 + 1/2 tsp of Garam Masala(cloves,cinnamon,cardamom,fennel,mace)

Salt

Sugar

Cilantro leaves

Oil



Method

In a cooker heat the oil and saute the whole spices until fragrant.

Add the curry leaves n splutter Fennel seeds.

Saute the ginger paste n garlic paste till fragrant.Add the chillies too..

Add the cleaned Mutton pieces,salt,turmeric,Vinegar n chilli powder and saute well.

Add some cilantro leaves too,pour some water and close to cook..

Lamb cooks easily as we have added vinegar too.(The case is different with mutton,which is bit more hard).So take care not to over cook,as we need it in the second stage.

After a whistle or n bit of simmering ,open the cooker.To make it healthy,you can skim of the fat floating on the top.

Now in a Kadai,heat oil and add the chopped ginger garlic followed by lot of curry leaves .

Smear the whole bottom of pan with the flavor.

Add Shallots,saute till golden brown, add the tomatoes.

Add all the Masala powders and saute well to mix.

After the raw smell of masala fades,add little gravy from the cooker and mix well n saute to make it mushy.

Throw in the mutton and mix well with the base.

Close the lid and keep it like that for 5- 10 mins.

After that,open the lid and add the cilantro leaves.

Mix well n sprinkle rest of the garam masala over the top of it.

Mix well,adjust salt and sprinkle a dash of sugar on it.

Close the lid to lock the flavor.


PS: This is so spicy and it tastes best that way,so adjust the spices after testing the taste.

Guess this is the season of Awards..:)




Hemakka n Nithya , both have passed me the wonderful chat award n Emerald true friend award..:)

I am passing this on to Yasmeen , Arundhuthi , Usha , Seena , Divya , TIna , Veena ,Shama ,Malar , Hemakka , Anudivya ,Vibaas , Vidhaas , Ann , Akaal , Asha , Sangeeta , HappyCook , Cham ,Preeti ,Preety ,Priya ,Ujwal ,Roopa , Sowmya ,Lubna , Navita...




Divya has presented me the prestigious Super Duper Chef award..:)

Passing on to Yasmeen , Asha ,Akaal, Ann ,Arundhuthi , Cham , Hemakka, Anudivya , Usha , Malar ..

Hope I have been able to include anyone..:)


Thanks a ton sweeties..:)..They are soo precious to me n I treasure them..:)


Hugs n Have a rocking Weekend !! StumbleUpon

26 Luv'ly people shared their views..:

Arundhuti said...

Even I am too fond of non-veg Varsha. Cannot consume a single meal without any non-veg dish. Mutton looks delicious in those lovely pictures. And thank you so much for the awards.

Asha said...

Whenever I see Mutton, I start drooling, I get Lamb easily here. Looks so good Varsha, enjoy you lucky girl!

Enjoy all your well deserved awards sweetie and thanks for thinking of me too. Have a great weekend, see you next week! :)

Varsha Vipins said...

Thanks Arundhuthi..Same pitch..:)

Asha..you always amaze me..:D..how come u reach so fast n comment..You are superb..:D..Hugs n waiting for your post..:)

Preety said...

congrats on your awards dear..i am a vegetarian so i have no comments on the recipe but i am sure my husband will love to have that if i make for him:)

Preety said...

hey thanks dear for passing me the award i missed it b4 i think:(

Usha said...

I used to struggle with shallots initially but now I do the shallots in warm water thing and it is much more easy....congrats on all your awards and thanks so much for thinking of me.It means a lot to get these awards from you :-)

Cham said...

Oh I am drooling over ur mutton, I am big fan of non-veg items but after marriage I am 80 % vegetarian....He he I felt the same for all my non-veg post but I tried to post the veg and non -veg version in one post and It worked! Everyone will be satisfied! Congrats on ur award and Thanks to share with me!

Adlak's tiny world said...

congrats and Thanks for passing it to me dear.

SriLekha said...

wow! recipe looks yummy!
congrats on ur awards!
ur recipes are in round up part -1
hope u havent noticed it!

Sara said...

Congratulations on the awards, this dish looks great!

Shama Nagarajan said...

lovely recipe..Congrats dear....thank u dear for these awards.......its my pleasure...feeling great....

Maria said...

Nice recipe Varsha and I love spicy non veg dishes :). Congrats for your awards!!

Maria said...

Nice recipe Varsha and I love spicy non veg dishes :) Congrats for the awards!!

Priya said...

This is not fair varsha, u r making me hungry but posting all these delicious nonveg dishes..mouthwatering dish, am honoured to get more n more awards from u dear, wat a lovely dear u r..thanks a lot Varsha:)

Maya said...

Varsha, I think its my first time here..Mutton and your description of the curry makes me drool..I love Kerala cuisine.

vidhas said...

Congrats on your awards Varsha, Thanks a lot for passing it me dear :-D ,BTW you have to grab my true friend award.

Preety said...

Check out the roundup Of Cooking For kids event

http://preetyskitchen.blogspot.com/2009/02/cooking-for-kids-milk-products-roundup.html

veena said...

Hi da..
Mutton curry looks so tempting and delicious ...Congrats on ur awards and thanks a lot for passing me ...
Love
Veena

Lakshmi said...

Varsha thnx for thtr tip on skinning the shallots.Very useful one.I dint know tht.will do tht frm now on!

mathew said...

who said so!! non-vegeterians zindabad!;-D
This mutton dish looks lip-smacking..will try it out sometime..

Yasmeen said...

You certainly deserve a chef's hat for that luscious mutton curry.We love NV in moderation(just during weekend sounds perfect)
Thanks for passing the wonderful awards,I really appreciate it:)

Ann said...

How i missed this one ? Oh my,thats a yummy mutton..drooling..Congrats for the awards..and thanks for remembering me..

Uj said...

One more veggie here :P... but ghee rice is something would love to have them with kurma..

Happy cook said...

I love mutton dishes like this, the meat is so soft, it melts in your mouth when one eats it.
Delicious.

AnuSriram said...

Congrats on your awards! Hope you enjoyed!

Varsha Vipins said...

Thanks to all of you for the comment..Glad that u liked the tip n the curry too..:)

 
Creative Commons License
Will-O'-the-Wisp is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
.