Monday, February 16, 2009

Chicken Piralan..!!!

Am back after a short break..!!Hope u all had a sweet n lovely Val's day...:)
As of mine,it was great..We had a nice dinner and shopping n drive n all..It was all lovely n romantic..like our any other day..;)
I was totally in an around my cam these days..I loved it..cute n small...n pics come out so nice.I was not looking for a pro cam,but a small n simple one for the time being n I guess this one served that purpose well...but still I have to learn a lot about photography I guess n such a lazy bum I am,to do the settings n take snaps in angles..:P..I have some old drafts ,so you'll get to see some more clumsy pics around..:)



Today's post is special,'cos this is the first food pic I took with ma new cam n with some real effort..n I liked the way it came out.I know its not all that great,but guess better than many of my others..sigh..!!..I have done slight editing like cropping n bit of touch ups apart from which the credit should go to Canon only.There is a window on the left side of the table n hence light falls directly on to the platter.It was late afternoon ,so sun was not all that fierce.The leafy bowl was a love-at-first-sight,part of my Val's day shopping..Aint it cute??:)
I loved the curves n the way it holds the curry inside..:)




Now lemme not miss the recipe part..:D..Its again a Mrs: K M Mathew dish..Chicken Piralan..Its a lip smacking delicious dish..So flavorful with blend of divine spices.The dish is little on the drier side,but as you can see,I made it with some gravy.The chicken should be fried well,deep fried may be,but I just shallow fried,nevertheless it tasted awesome..:)
I added some potatoes n tomatoes,which was not part of the recipe.So its a personal choice!!




Ingredients

1 Lbs Chicken(I used thigh part)

6 cloves,4 cardamoms,2 inch long cinnamon,2 bay leaves

1 Tbsp minced garlic

1 Tbsp ginger

1 cup Shallots

1 cup Onions

1 medium sized tomato cubed(optional)

1 Potato cubes( optional)



2 tsp Chilli Powder

2.5 tsp Coriander Powder

1/2-1 tsp Pepper powder

1/2 tsp turmeric powder

1/2 + 1 tsp Garam masala( Fennel,cloves,cardamom,cinnamon,mace,aniseed)

1 Tbsp Vinegar

Curry leaves n Cilantro

Salt


Oil



Method

Marinate the chicken with all the powders ,leaves, vinegar n salt.

In a kadai,pour oil and saute the curry leaves and whole spices till fragrant.

Throw in the mince ginger n garlic n saute till the raw smell goes.

Add the shallots n onions n tomatoes(if using) and saute with some salt till tender.

Add the marinated chicken n mix n saute till the rawness of chicken goes..for some 5 mins or so..

Transfer the whole thing to a cooker,add potatoes and cook for a whistle and simmer for few mins..

Heat oil in the kadai.

Now open the cooker.With a slotted spoon take the chicken pieces and potatoes(optional) and fry it in the oil in the Kadai.(I just did a shallow fry)

After all the pieces are fried well,pour the remaining thick gravy from cooker over it and dry it till your desired level is attained.(I kept some gravy as it tastes so good with hot rice.Original recipe asks for real dryness when all the gravy is gone and the pieces are like fried n well coated with it.)




Combo it with some hot white rice/Roti/Naan/Porotta..Its yummy..!!!!


Thanks a lot to Yasmeen for presenting me the sweet award..:)


Update: I felt like my pics lose lil of its clarity n sharpness once it came in Blogger page...have u guys ever felt so?? StumbleUpon

35 Luv'ly people shared their views..:

Nithya Praveen said...

Hurray i get to comment first! I am a total veggie...so wudnt know how the dish wud taste..i wud say the pic looks good.Its nice to know that you had a nice V -day.Good day!

Nithya Praveen said...

Hurray,i get to comment first!.Am a total veggie..so wudnt be able to comment much abt the dish.But it surely looks good...good pic and the bowl looks wonderful too.Nice to know u had a good V-day!Good day!

Asha said...

Photos are clear and look wonderful. Which camera did you buy? It's true, start with small camera and then go for the big one when we get some experience in photography.

Name of this dish new to me, look s great. Any chicken dish is welcome, thanks! :)

Glad you had a shopping V day! ;D

Usha said...

Glad you had a great time for v day Varsha....congrats on the award...

Varsha Vipins said...

Thanks for the prompt comments ladies..:D
Glad that u liked the bowl n pics..Cam is a simple canon SD1100 Asha..small cutie he is..:)
The name is a Kerala one..Piralan means dried n smeared with gravy..:)

Preety said...

good to know that you had blast on v day..i think pics look good..as i m vegetarian so no comment on the dish sorry:(

Yasmeen said...

Nice to know you had a gala V-day.Another spicy and delicious chicken variation,I've all your NV dishes bookmarked.Though I don't post many in my blog,but I do come to your blog for the spicy NV recipes.
The new camera images certainly look very appealing with the snazzy bowl.Even I take the pics by the window,sometimes when there is too much light,I put a white curtains over the window to adjust the light.And I usually avoid night time photo sessions ,the daylight is always the best for me:)

Superchef said...

wow!! u do seem to make such amazing nadan non-veg dishes...AJ will just go mad if he even sees this..
as for your question about the pics...ive never felt so and also, your pic look wonderful..try to take pics whenever you get some natural sunlight..it makes a whole lot of difference..

Uj said...

Nice pics dear.. good to know you had a nice v-day shopping. BTW The pics have come out really good. Loved the new bowl :D I do not experience any problem while uploading the pics

Cham said...

He he seems u enjoyed ur day. The pict is far better , love the leaf bowl and chicken hmm delicious!

Sara said...

This looks quite colorful and delicious!

Madhumathi said...

The pics are amazing dear.Love the leafy bowl and the curry looks delicious....

Divz said...

looks yum and guess i can smell that too!!
or is it someone making chicken curry somewhere in my neighborhood??

Priya said...

U r just torturing me all these delicious NV dishes Varsha, lovely n delicious..hey love the bowl, looks superb..

Poonam said...

I had heard about this dish from my friend but had not tried it till now...looks great...and very nice shots

Akal's Saappadu said...

delicious your chicken piralan!

sangeeta said...

looking at this causes my metabolic rate shoot up........:D
nice pic and even nicer bowl................but the real winner is the recipe.

Happy cook said...

I love love love chicken piral especiallywith bread or chapaties and this looks so drooley yummy.

notyet100 said...

looks so delish,..lovely pics too,..which photo editin tool u use,..?

Ann said...

hmmm..yummy again..Piralan looks awesome and yes,your camera is just fine..But i loved the dish more..ha ha..So,enjoyed v'day...nice write up as always Varsha.

Adlak's tiny world said...

wow yr pic looks so nice with yr new camera dear.. glad to know abt yr val's day. can guess how romatic that would be.. Hm enjoy darling.

Exotic Lady said...

Thanks again if you can offer any advice to food blogging I would gladly take it. I am new to all this but love cooking and sharing. Again great recipe!

Suma Rajesh said...

wooo its a tempting pic..mouthwatering snap dear...

mathew said...

oru plate porattei.;-D
i think this recipe would be perfect with parotta or chappatti!!

Varsha Vipins said...

Happy that u all liked the chicken,dish n pics..Yasmeen,thanks for the tips..yeah..Nadan Non veg dishes are always drool-able..yum..Mathew..itl b an awesome combo with the not to forget our hot rice..:)
Even though many of u said that uploading to blogger hasnt ever affected your pic quality,I seriously felt so..I compared the Jpeg image and the image here side-by-side n I saw a visible blur..hmm..:(

Sanghi said...

wow!! yummy ymmy perfect chicken dish. The leaf bowl is simply lovely. Keep it up Varsha!:)

Maria said...

Hi Varsha,

Beautiful Pic :) I wanted to try this dish for a long time, pakshe ethu vare nadanilla :( your pic is tempting me so much :)

n33ma said...

Congrats on your award.......Lovely chicken recipe.Looks delish!

Shabs said...

Hi Varsha,
Thanx for stopping by my blog.Im a Malayalee too..I should say, your camera is doing an excellent job. the pictures are very good and the dish looks yummy. I keep wondering how the pictures get so big!Even though i post my pictures chocing the large size the pics still comes small compared to yours and many others...I dono how it is done!
Great work...Keep it up dear.

Muneeba said...

Varsha, buddy, tried this recipe a few days ago and it was a BIG HIT! Loved it, seriously. As did my hubbs. Will be making it again & again I'm sure. Thks for this :)

Muneeba said...

Varsha, I featured this recipe on my blog today - check it out & let me know if I've done it justice!

Anonymous said...

Nice blog! wow! so many yummy chicken dishes to try from your website. Keep it coming :)

Rg.

Manju said...

Varsha,
Adipoli!!! Yummy recipe. Tried it out last evening - with the potato and tomato. The only problem I had was that I sliced the chicken too small so by the time it came out of the cooker, I could hardly find pieces large enough to fry. Despite that , the end result was really really yum!! Thanks a lot...

Regards,
Manju

Varsha Vipins said...

Thanks everyone..:)
Manju,glad that it came out well for you..Yea,with chicken you always need to go easy on cooker..I have did the same mistake many times..:D

Lina Anup said...

Hey!!

Your recipes r simply awesome!!

Come back soon with some nadan chicken curry recipes plz!!!

 
Creative Commons License
Will-O'-the-Wisp is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
.