Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Semiya Paysam/Almond Semiya Kheer(A dessert with Vermicelli..)..50th post and something to share..

Yup..This is my 5oth Food related post.Initially I had made some literature n random musings here, after which I kinda suddenly turned into food blogging.It was back in May 08' n now you might get how lazy I am..Its almost gonna be an year soon and all I made ,are 50 posts.But I cant blame it all on laziness.Strenuous life of spinster working gal in an unknown place and some prime events in life took away a lot of time.I became regular in blogging only after getting married n coming here.Anyways..all for good n well am here now with a wonderful hobby and a bunch of friends..Well.I still consider myself an amateur in cooking n blogging..On the path of learning, from you all...Good things are ,I got to know a lot more about food,nutrition n so many things about which either I was unaware or never gave much of a ponder.Thanks to each n everyone of you who have visited n still do it all the time and leave me sweet n encouraging comments..Luv u all..:)

Now,I want to share something with you,which have left my eyes wet ,but got me think about life a lot n all the more,gave me some strength from within.We are all humans and we always love to see the colorful side of life.Friends,party,celebrations and all the fun things adorn most of our lives luckily.But sometimes when some unfortunate things happen,we tend to go doomed and sometimes blames and questions God too..But there are some people around us,who faces it with a smile ,fights against the so-called-destiny and make their moments happy n lively.They are real Human beings with the soul touched by God himself.I am talking about such a person.I guess only few of us are familiar with Sangeeta Khanna of healthfooddesivideshi.com, a food blogger like us..This is here food blog Url.Last day I accidentally stumbled upon her page and made a comment.As a reply to it,she sent me a mail saying :"..blogging for me is nothing about perfection, it is giving me a lot of peace".. also she mentioned about her other blog,Homealone.
Today,I went to that space,n what I saw there was totally divine.Sangeeta is the mom of a wonderful angel,Mithi.Had she been not affected by Friedreich's Ataxia,she would have been a chirping n naughty little gal,playing around all the time.But nevertheless,she s still so adorable n indeed an sweetheart.Her face reminded me of an angel indeed.So serene and charming cute gal.In one sit,I finished reading all her posts.My eyes were streaming and my heart aching,but I saw myself smiling proudly with Sangeeta at many places.She is surely the best Mom,and a wonderful Human being.I truly adore her from the bottom of my heart.Unlike ,what some us might do,banging heads and cursing the plight,the wonderful lady is fighting with her sweetie against the darkness,and is happy n full of life.She is all with her kid,never once irritated ,always hugging ,kissing n motivating her to move on,n also she is sharing her experiences n what she is learning from her kid ,about FA,with the rest of the world,through her blog.Am sure it is inspiring and giving strength to so many people out there.Sangeeta,I have you n ur Mithi in my prayers from now on..:)..Gals,you may go to this page and lets learn from her,n also show her our appreciation,support and love,atleast through our words..:)




Today's recipe is a sweet dish,as its my 5oth post.A simple kheer(kind of Dessert),with almonds in it..:)
For those who are not familiar with Vermicelli,they are thin noodle type of Pasta..Check wiki for more details.Guess they are available everywhere..this is such a yummy Dessert.:)
This dish minus the Badam's make the yummy Payasam of Kerala Sadya..:)

Ingredients

1 cup Vermicelli/Semiya

3 cups of Milk

1/4 cup of Blanched Almonds(pre-soaked n skin-removed will be fine too..)

1/4 cup of Nuts and raisins

1/2 tsp Cardamom Powder

Sugar + Honey as needed

2-3 Tbsp of ghee





Method

Boil the milk in a heavy bottomed pan with as much sugar/honey needed.

When the milk starts boiling,reduce heat and simmer.

Meanwhile,roast the broken vermicelli in some ghee,till golden.

Add this to the simmering milk.

Add blanched almonds too.

Let it simmer for 5-10 mins,till the amount of milk reduces considerably.

Stir frequently and ,if it appears to have become too much thick,you may add some more milk and bring it to desired thickness.

Almonds should be soft and chewy,but not broken and mixed in milk.

Fry the nuts and raisins in ghee,till its golden n plump.

Add it to the semiya-almond milk and mix.

Sprinkle the Cardamom Powder on top and stir well.






Malar n Akal has shared with me this sweet award.Am passing this to all of you who are now visitng n commenting me.I don't want to miss anyone ,as there are so many of you out there.So please receive this award from ma side n yeah..lets chat more..!!
Thanks Malar n Akal..:)
StumbleUpon

37 Luv'ly people shared their views..:

Vibaas said...

thank u for thinking of me varsha. i appreciate it. hey i read the other blog that you mentioned and it brought tears in my eyes. she is indeed a great mom!

Vibaas said...

Varsha, forgot to mention about your recipe. Vermicelli kheer is my favorite and it looks so yum. Can i have some? :)

Cham said...

I came 1 hour back and went to other blog link Varsha. Payasam looks yum and congrats & thanks for the award!

Joie de vivre said...

Your Kheer looks yummy and beautiful!

aquadaze said...

love vermicelli kheer, looks yum!

Divz said...

hey varsha...congrats on ur 50th post!! keep writing and cooking!!!

sra said...

Congrats on the 50th post and the award, good of you to pass it on!

curryworld said...

Varsha ..
Congrats on ur 50th post ..Vermicelli kheer looks just delicious..Keep up the good work ..
love
veena

Lakshmi said...

Varsha congrats on ur 50th post.Way to go girl :) Almond kheer looks so yummy.

sowmya said...

looks so delicious..

Priya said...

Congrats on ur 50th post Varsha, thanks for sharing the award, wish you more in future..

vidhas said...

Varsha, i love this kheer. Nowadays it has become my son's favourite. Yesterday i made this i got some guets. He grabbed my share too. When i saw yours i really feel like having now.,

vidhas said...

Congrats on your 50th post.

Ann said...

congrats on your 50 th post...am on mine too .that seems an occasional treat..enjoy varsha.thanks for the award.Malar had already passed the same.congrats.

Happy cook said...

I will go to the blog you mentioned, a vry touching post,
Pity I dont' get vermaechelli here, .

sangeeta said...

hi varsha
thankyou for all the appreciation dear , we all should count the good things around us and find strength from them and i think this semiya payasam of your's is a very good reminder of the fact that we should try n celebrate everything coming in our life.
my husband arvind likes this dish very much n mithi too liked it when she used to eat normal food........you made me sentimental today..
i'd like to share this information with you all that these semiya are available in a handmade variety also in north india n is called jawe, as a pinch of wholewheat dough is rolled between the thumb n first finger to shape it like a jau(barly) grain,hence the name jawe........the kheer made with these jawe is simply awesome.

Shama Nagarajan said...

Double wishes to you.....waiting to hv more from you......

Divz said...

hey dear...i have something which wud for sure bring a smile to ur face..pls chk http://yum-world.blogspot.com/2009/02/awards-moment-to-share.html

Divz said...

hey dear...i ahve something which would for sure bring a smile to ur face..chk out http://yum-world.blogspot.com/2009/02/awards-moment-to-share.html

Asha said...

50th post! Congrats and wish you more success! :)

Love the Kheer, I made this few weeks ago after a very long time. Looks great.

Thank you for the award, enjoy your's as well.

Btw, yes. you can use whole wheat and any cheese you like, taste and texture of the bread will be different but always tasty! :)

RAKS KITCHEN said...

Congrats on your 50th post and I am really touched by the way you feel for another human!!

Bushra Fahad said...

congrats for the 50th post...!!! I am regular follower of ur blog...!!! A blog lik ths is a blessing 4 ppl like me who r very much new to cooking...!!! I've tried many of ur recipes & all were success...!!!
2dy I made ur kozhikodan biryani...!! and 4 the 1st tym my biryani was tasty...!!! thank u so much... And All the best....

Yasmeen said...

What can I say,I'm speechless,people like Sangeeth are real brave.Makes me ponder why God has endowed terrible suffering upon some more than others,guess we have a lesson to learn here about not brooding about little miseries in life and take example from people like her and be thankful for being spared of the unimaginable misery.
Congrats on your milestone 50 posts,I always enjoy my time in your blog.Thanks for passing the good chat award to me.And I really feel like making that delicious kheer right now:)

Akal's Saappadu said...

congrats for the award, delicious kheer, sad story and a courageous mama.

Usha said...

Congrats on your 50th post Varsha, looking forward to many more yum posts from you...the kheer looks perfect !

Joie de vivre said...

Thanks, as always, for visiting Varsha!

Malar Gandhi said...

I became speechless and felt very low to read the other blog u mentioned. Sure she is a great mom.

Btn...payasam looks fab'...like it with nuts and raisins...you have made it totally my way...so pass me the cup, right now!

Pavithra Kodical said...

Congrats Varsha!! Kheer looks delicious..

I visited Sangeetha's blog and my eyes are filled with tears.She is indeed a brave Mom..

Selba said...

Looks yummy... though I'm not familiar with the ghee.

DEESHA said...

I love this kheer. nice pic Varsha

Raaga said...

Wow... I made cashew vermicelli kheer once... will try this as well. COngrats on 50th. :)

n33ma said...

Beautiful click Varsha.....nice blog!

Adlak's tiny world said...

Congrats darling... u have some other too from my side..check out.

BTW yr payasam is awesome and share me also... waiting to grab.

prajusha said...

varsha,
congrats on ur 50th post..payasma looks yummy.

Madhuram said...

Thanks for the link to Sangeeta's blog. It was really very overwhelming to even read her experiences. How is she even going through this day in and day out? Incidents like these really question the presence of God!

AnuSriram said...

Kheer looks as sweet as that lady Sangeetha... She is truly a wonderful human-being... The story fills my eyes with tears and makes my heart feel soft...

Varsha Vipins said...

Thanks everyone..So nice of you to wish me n esply Bushra's comment was really inspiring..Also good to hear that u all too felt the same for Sangeeta..Lets include her n baby in our prayers..
Thanks again n keep visiting..:)

 
Creative Commons License
Will-O'-the-Wisp is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
.