Monday, January 5, 2009

Varutharacha Meen Curry-South Kerala style Fish Curry-My Mom's special..

(Updated pics..fish-Rainbow Trout)
Picture 1714
After a real long holiday time,life is getting back to its routine phase.Two weeks I had company at home,as he was working from here,n so it was kind of lazy.No fuss after pulling myself out of bed for a quick-fix breakfast, and then a long laid back relaxing time after it before I get to think about lunch,watching dvd's till eyes start complaining n it goes on..So now,it feels like a sudden shake and wake-up from an unusually long dreamy sleep,and more than that home suddenly feels so quite.But then blogging keeps me somewhat engaged ..
Cooking has become kind of routine affair now,n it has been ages since I cooked something seriously and took a picture n all those fancy-bloggy stuff..Yeah..It was on X'mas,for the last time.So the whole point here is,I don't have anything new and interesting.Now a days I am getting a thought like,How long I would be able to blog like this,especially when I am in the habit of running in the opposite direction,when I hear baking and also desserts.After all those give out most of those good-looking variety dishes.I really chicken out from it.Talking about chicken,I have lots of chicken recipes in hand.But if I post another of a chicken recipe,people will think this is a chicken-blog or I am a "chicketerian"..Now count the chicken..:D:D..

Today I was talking (read it drooling) with Divya about mom's dishes,how we miss it n all.Suddenly I got this craving for her Fish-curry n Sambar(They r her best!)..But alas..No luck for me..Here food tastes so different,even daal here makes my Sambar taste so different.sob..And fish is like a dream for me.We have no luck with fish here.We bought fish from Asian store couple of times.But they were too "fishy" and no lime juice n Besan helped me out,n the quality was also poor.We are ok with frozen Tilapia n Salmon fillets,but they are good only when fried.For an authentic Fish curry..na..they r too less "fishy" for that,n the curry wont taste anything like what you drool over back home.So thats my fishy story.

Last time when I got some Mahi-Mahi ,I made this my mom-style curry.It was nowhere near her curry.She makes this so good with my fav fish,"Motha".I still remember the times when I used to rush back from hostel every friday ,n there she would be waiting with this special Meen-curry for me...
Picture 1727




I guess this is basically South-Kerala style,"Varutharacha" means where coconut is roasted with spices and ground to add a yummy flavor .

Ingredients

4-5 /1 lb /1/2 kg medium sized pieces of Fish(Any will do,I used Trout Fillets)

2-3 pieces Kokum(Kudampuli)

1 tsp Mustard,1/2 tsp fenugreek,4-5 dried chillies n curry leaves


1/2 Cup Sliced Onions(optional)

4-5 Green Chillies Slitted

1 tsp Chilli Powder


1/2 Tbsp Ginger chopped

1/2 tbp Garlic chopped

1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder

To Dry Roast

Fresh Grated coconut - 1/2-3/4cup

Shallots Chopped - 6-7 Nos:

1 clove garlic minced

1 inch ginger sliced

Curry Leaves - A lot

Chilli Powder – 2 tsp

Coriander Powder – 2.5 tsp

Pepper Powder - 1/2 tsp

Fenugreek Powder- 1/2 tsp
2 pinches asaofetida
Salt




Take a wide bottomed pan(You need "ManChatti"(Clay pot) for that original taste) and heat oil.Splutter mustard,fenugreek,dried chillies n curry leaves.

Lower heat n add the ginger paste followed by Garlic paste and Sauté till the raw smell goes off.

Now add onions, green chillies,chilli powder and turmeric powder with salt.Sauté nicely.

Sauté till raw masala smell goes off.

Now add some water and add the cocum pieces and bring it to a boil.


Mean while take a pan ,heat the coconut oil and add the curry leaves and smear the bottom of the pan with its flavor.

Add the sliced shallots ,garlic n ginger and saute till brown.

Add the grated coconut and continuously sauté it till it turns a deep brown shade.

Now add all the powders and mix it and take it off the heat.

Run it in a mixer as such for a few burst ,to get a powder-paste form..Addition of water dilutes roasted taste ,so better skip that.


Now add this powder/paste into the pan and fish into the pan,taking caring not to break it.

Close the lid and cook under lowheat.Check in between,fish shouldn't be overcooked.Flip pieces every now n then carefully.

When it's done,sprinkle the roasted Fenugreek Powder on top and swirl again.((You can remove the coccum if it has turned too sour,also adjust salt),

Mash curry leaves in coconut oil n sprinkle over top.Close n let it rest..


PS: Points to note are not to burn the coconut-spice mix and not to break the fish.Also adjust the sourness if needed.

Picture 1724


Check out my other fish recipes:


Picture 1570




StumbleUpon

16 Luv'ly people shared their views..:

Ann said...

varsha,jus relax with what you get for now..but if you travel like a casual one,you may find some indian store;still the frozen one..next time you may go with some fish pickle..that can just drop you back home..

Yasmeen said...

I tried your chilli chicken last week,its was very tasty.Keep you chicken recipes coming,I'd love to cook them all:)
Love the spicy fish curry:)

Shama Nagarajan said...

wow.......what a coincidence...prepared the same curry this sunday.......yummy.....delicious

anudivya said...

Oh yeah, I am still drooling after all that talk about mom's food! Sigh! I wish I could have that now! :(

Kitchen Flavours said...

Wow yummy and spicy recipe dear. Looks gr8. You can participate in Rendezvous With Kitchen Flavours by clicking on the following link http://kitchenflavours.blogspot.com/2008/09/f-ocus-on-journey-not-destination.html

Viki Xavier. said...

Lovely post Varsha. I too cook meen kulambu in clay pot , in India. That tastes great . Nothing is comparable to our Indian fishes:( Do you get kudampuli here? Eager to know where we get it.
I used frozen king fish from Indian stores before before getting a chinese store. you can try a fish called 'whiting'.. that has a closer taste:)

vidhas said...

Thanks for your lovely comment in reddezvous with kitchen flavours. Happy new year.

SriLekha said...

wow! delicious and traditional recipe!

Varsha Vipins said...

Ann,I got 2 bottles of fish pickle here.:)..But that comes nowhere near our Nadan Meen curry..:(

Yasmeen..Oh..am soo happy that u liked my chicken recipe..:)

Shama..Same pitch..:)

Divya..Lemme forget it..:(

Thanks Lubna..Il look into it..

Viki..Leme try that fish..Btwn..I packed up a whole bunch of Coccums from my home,on my last leave.Now,I see it in Indian store here also..Do check out at your Indian store and mebe you can tell them about it.

Thanks Vidhas n Srilekha..:)

Uj said...

I agree with you regarding mom's cooking. Even the dal here don't give the authentic Daal taste! Sigh! Miss my mom so much :(

Priya said...

I love to have these sort of gravies..urs looks very prefect..would love to have rite now..just missing spicy gravies..

Varsha Vipins said...

Ya Uj..Mom's food is the best..:)

Thanks Priya..I bet you make tasty spicy gravies there too,better than mine..:)

KF said...

My mom packed some roasted coconut for me from kerala n its there in my fridge..So today I am going to cook this with sherry fish..Here in Dubai almost all types of fresh fishes are available..
If ur mom cooks with the fish available there, also tastes good..They have a special kaipunnyam and they pour lot of love into that.right??

KF said...

I made this curry and came out well,eventhough my selection of fish was not good..Thank to u and ur dear mom.

Roopa said...

I am gonna try this , this weekend. Bookmarked it :) my mouth is drooling reading this.

Varsha Vipins said...

Thanks all of you..:)

 
Creative Commons License
Will-O'-the-Wisp is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
.