Thursday, January 15, 2009

Prawns Fry with Cococnut Slices / Chemmeen -Thengakothu Varuthathu

Fragrance of coconut oil infused with curry leaves and the divine delight of munching the coconut slices drenched in the flavorful spice blend and juicy prawns..Thats a nostalgic memory..Memory of childhood days..Sometimes shrimps will be off season and then ,out of my mere peevish craving mom would bring some of them at an unreasonable price.They would be like numbered,and I still remember when mom would divide it half-half and give me n my bro.At that time,I was cunning and greedy enough to sneak one or two under my rice before she serves us.What all loving memories..:)

Mom was never stingy with oil,hence all her dishes tastes awesome mingled with the flavor of coconut oil.When I got level -headed and health conscious and skin/beauty-conscious n bla bla..I used to monitor her at kitchen n used to bellow at her regarding oil.Then I would make seperate omlettes and all for me with less oil.But then punishment time was waiting for me,when I reached Pune.My roomie Anju dear was even more "all the blah-conscious" than me and never allowed me to add oil to the food.Ghee/butter was out of the kitchen.We had regular tongue-fight regarding this.I would say that oil in some amount is essential for health and then she would counter it with something and it'll go on until I kick her out of kitchen...:D
Even now Kutts says lightly, that what I do is, bring the oil bottle infront of frying pan,shake it and ask the food to cook/fry.

Jokes apart,I am health conscious about the amount of butter/oil used and take care about it.But mostly all the Mallu foods require a good amount of oil.For frying,roasting,tempering etc.I usually do shallow fry where deep fry is needed.This dish mentioned below also asks for deep frying.But I did it the other way.Just that it requires a lil' more care and time to get set.

PS: I have totally screwed up my cam,and am now helplessly trying to rectify it with help of google bro(despite of Kutts' offer to buy a new one,Na,iI'll fix it..!!),which attributes to hopeless pics here and mebe in coming posts too..:(






Ingredients

1 lbs Prawns

10-12 Coconut slices

1-1.5 Tbsp Chilli Powder

1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder

1 tsp Pepper Powder

1 tsp Soya Sauce

1 tsp Tomato Sauce(Sauces are optional.Its just to add a tangy touch)

1-2 Tbsp Corn Flour

Curry Leaves

Salt

Oil

Method


Marinate cleaned prawns with all the powders and sauces and corn flour and keep refrigerated for 30 minutes.

Fry in Oil,flavored with Curry leaves.

Just before removing each batch from the pan ,add coconut slices into it.

Mix with the prawns and fry it light brown.Remove with prawns.


PS: Take care not to char the coconut slice by adding it along with prawns initially itself.

StumbleUpon

11 Luv'ly people shared their views..:

viki xavier said...

Your prawn looks awesome. Nice recipe.
Loved that story about oil too:)

Ann said...

Dearie,loved the write up and enjoyed the joke from your hubby...reg oil..ha ha ha ...
as you mentioned,we need oil to a certain level..jus use any canola/veg oil for regular use and when it comes to prawns and all,use coconut oil..for frying only use olive oil..then no probs..but but,have prawns (which has high level cholestrol stock)or meat only in 3 months or like..jus have the observation button on always..thats enough..(assure you.I was a health savvy even before i got married..now am middle 30's,still possess the same health pattern,and enjoy all these blissful things..)

Uj said...

he he he.. I get kicked out royally from kitchen when amma makes Sweets! I gasp at the amount of ghee that is being used!

Cham said...

Look like a dry prawn curry, great starter too! I use to hide prawns in hot rice too :)

Kitchen Flavours said...

HEHEHEHE.... recipe looks yummy. Hope your cam matter gets solved soon..

Happy cook said...

Did you hear me weeping......... and that is for this chemeen dish.
My mom always made this and my hobby was to pass the kitchen and grab few and pop in my mouth from the chatti.
Just the thought makes me drool for them.
Your look so yummy delicious.
Goodluck with fixing you camara.

Varsha Vipins said...

Thanks Viki..:)

Ann,Thanks for throwing so much light into the subject..yeah..I use sunflower n olive oil both..Never used coconut oil..But we often indulge in meat n prawns,atleast once in a week.cant just help that..But I do take care to include lean meat.

Uj,same here..:D

Cham..you too..he he.

Lubna..no dear..guess I'l have to get a new one..:(

Dont cry happy..come over here..I'll give u some..:D.

Yasmeen said...

I totally agree with Ann,as long as you use olive oil for frying ,no worries.Be sure not to overheat the olive oil coz it gets smoky on very high heat.
boo-hoo ,I would feel the same with a camera not working properly,its the life of my blog.If its in a hopeless shape then buying a new one is the only option sweetie:)

Arundhuti said...

I have something for you in my blog....Click here.

Sig said...

I love this combo, prawns and coconut.. Actually I love coconut slices in any dish :)

Varsha Vipins said...

Yasmeen,yeah..am in for olive oil,when frying..:)Cam..sigh..guess I'd have to get one soon..

Arundhuthi,thanks dear..;)

Sig,Same pitch.:)

 
Creative Commons License
Will-O'-the-Wisp is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
.