Friday, January 30, 2009

Kerala Porotta n Butter Chicken / Chicken Tikka Masala...!!

I am feeling soooo lazy today..I am seeing this new post page since past 30 minutes,but I was not able to push myself into type something here.I know its going to be a weekend,n I wouldn't be able to post anything.So I have to, now..An old movie is going on in the TV.My concentration is swaying from it to the thick fog outside.Also I have in one hand ,the bubble wrap of the chewy Granola bars FoodBuzz sent couple of days back.(I love bursting the bubbles of it..yeah..I know..kiddish..but I luvvv..)The granola bars were in 3 flavors..Dark Chocolate Raspberry Almond Bar, Honey Roasted Cashew Mixed Berry and Toasted Coconut Banana Macadamia Nuts.All the three were excellent,even though the last one is my personal favourite.Its like a gulit free indulge,any day any time..:) Thanks a ton to Quacker n FoodBuzz..:)

It was a couple of weeks back,when I saw Happy Cook's post of Kerala Porotta's tracing its way back to Cham,where she had dutifully explained each of the simple steps with pictures.I was all excited to see it and decided to try it soon..But as usual kept postponing till last sunday,when I had chicken in my hand.Thought of making Butter chicken to go with Porotta's.Butter chicken was yet another dish ,I had wanted to try myslef.I google'd lot for the authentic recipe,saw Sanjeev Kapoor's too..Finally,as always I decided to try a medley of everything I saw.(It always ends up like that..I have never been able to follow a recipe exactly..:D)

For those who are not familiar with Kerala Porotta,they are flaky layered Roti's made out of Refined flour,Maida.They are the main delicacies of Restaurants and street side shops(Thattukada's) of Kerala.In some shops,they make it outside ,so that people get to see the process..Really worth a watch,when the man eloquently twists and turns and zestfully punches the dough and then elongate it to a really big circle and then make it rotate n fly in air and again repeats everything for a long time until the dough becomes really set and smooth for awesome porotta's..:).

I stopped having Porotta's long back,when I became health conscious,owing to the factor that it is made of refined flour(maida) which is not good for stomach n health..But my bro was then n always an ardent fan of Porotta's n despite of my health preachings always proclaimed his true love for it.

Update: During my research for Butter Chicken recipes,I landed upon a bit of history about this.I was awed whilst I learned that Butter chicken,which we all take as a North Indian dish,was actually born in UK.But ofcourse made by an Indian Chef.His boss, an English man craved for Tandoori Chicken with gravy,n so our chef with the sleight of his hand developed this Buttery creamy sauce n drowned Tandoori's in it and kaboom..!! Butter Chicken was born..:)



Verdict: Porottas din't come out as good as Cham's or happy's ,cos I had a tough time rolling the doughs to big zero.My rolling pin was a small one,meant for small Roti's.Hence it was not that flaky and layered.But taste was good n we liked it lot.Butter chicken was awesome n we more than loved it.(I reduced the amount of Butter though..:D..typical meh-ish)

For easy Porotta recipe you can always go here to Cham's place.I made only a small difference..Instead of adding eggs to the dough,I brushed each rolled porotta with egg and then roasted it..




Butter Chicken recipe:

Ingredients

1 lbs Chicken breast (boneless)

To marinate it:

1- 1.5 tsp Chilli Powder

1 Tbsp Yogurt

1 Tbsp Lime juice

1/2 tsp Garam Masala

Salt



Bay leaves,cloves,cardamom 2-3 each n cinnamon 2 inch

1/2 tsp Fennel seeds

1 Big Onion Chopped

A few nuts n raisins

1 medium sized tomato blanched n Pureed

4 Green chillies

1-2 tsp Chilli Powder

1 tsp Garam masala( cloves,cinnamon,cardamom,fennel ,star anise n Mace powdered)

1/2- 1 tsp Pepper Powder

1 tsp Ketchup

1/4 cup Fresh Cream

Butter as needed( I used oil+butter)

Fenugreek Leaves(dried kasuri Methi leaves)

Cilantro leaves

Sugar




Method


Marinate the cleaned cubed chicken with all the ingredients and keep it in fridge for a minimum of 5 hours or the best overnight.

Grill it in a Tandoor oven or bake it conventional oven at 400 F for 30-40 minutes,till they are firm n brown.When the juices run out,take it n reserve.

Take a kadai n melt some butter,add the onion and green chillies and saute till pink.Take it out n blend in a mixer.

In the same pan,pour butter,splutter fennel seeds and roast the whole spices.

Now add the nuts and raisins and roast till brown n plump.(you can roast it separately n add to the gravy at last also)

Now bring back the onion paste and saute till brown.Add the reserved juice too..

Add the tomato puree and mix.

Add the chilli powder,pepper powder ,salt and half of garam masala.Mix well and simmer for 2 minutes

Sprinkle the ketchup.

Now put the roasted chicken in it and cover with the gravy.

Sprinkle dried Kasoori Methi leaves

Simmer and cover with a lid for 5-8 minutes.

Now remove the lid and cook until the desired dryness level is achieved.

Add the fresh cream n stir in for few minutes under low heat.

Sprinkle the Garam masala powder,a tad of sugar,kasuri methi and mix well.

Garnish with cilantro leaves.

Add a wee bit of butter before serving..:)




Butter Chicken on Foodista StumbleUpon

30 Luv'ly people shared their views..:

Joie de vivre said...

I'm glad to see you pushed through your writers block.

Asha said...

YUMMO!! Man, what a combination!! I love Kerala Parotta.Although I am not perfect at it, I did try few times and loved them. Butter chicken is our fave, all recipes are welcome. Looks great! :))

Mari at Once Upon a Plate said...

Oooh, it looks terrific! I've always wanted to try to make Butter Chicken... you've given me the nudge I've needed. I hope to try it soon.

Love your blog ~ so pretty and colorful! xo~m.

Nithya Praveen said...

Hey Varsha, i have failed miserably making Kerala Paratas.I am a veggie so wudnt know to actually compliment a dish by its tastes...but yes by looks it looks great:-)Found ur rendezvous with Lubna wonderful.

Yasmeen said...

I made similar flaky parathas with whole wheat,check them out ,if you are worried about maida's unhealthy toll on the stomach.Paired with butter chicken,these look very fulfilling:)
And how come you got the granola bars while I got some inedible business cards?;)
Have a great weekend buddy:)

Tina said...

ho what a combination dear.....vishakunnallooo....

Cham said...

Ha ha it happens to everyone how to start a post with only one pict and recipe in mind. Seeing ur butter chicken and parotta I just want to jump and grab ur bowl, glad it came out perfect and brushing egg sounds quiet different.Thanks a lot to try my recipe and glad u liked it!

Ann said...

hmmm.seems you enjoy the season..what u said here is true..Eventhough we r keeping away from porottas,at times the pictures itself can draw you to kitchen..no probs..once in a while is okay..and varsha,I make great porottas here,using olive oil...u may use olive to whatever extend you need,yet with great result..i will post when i make next time..and here are some links i loved on this:

http://publishtoday.blogspot.com/2006/11/parottaporotta.html

http://isouthpotpourri.blogspot.com/2006/04/kerala-porota.html#links

Shama Nagarajan said...

lovley chicken and porottas

Navita said...

hey we call it Lacchedaar paratha..up north..;p
and I make mine with whole wheat flour...tastes equally good if not better...infact guess i will post that sometime soon.

also I love bursting bubbles...lol...
hey FB keeps sendind stuff na...I haven't received anything yet from them..(i just joined)...I guess its only for US residents...(sigh!) ;p

Adlak's tiny world said...

Hi Varsh

nice parrotas and creamy side dish.. have to try parottas in my kitchen. thanks for sharing

vidhas said...

Hey Varsha, I too love to burst the bubble pack. Nowadays it will be a competion between me and my daughter. Always your post contains some info, great. I used to make parota my favouite long before. Since we are veg i used to add baking powder. Yours look awesome gal.

Varsha Vipins said...

Joie.Thanks..:)

Mari..am so glad that you liked my space..:)..waiting for you butter chicken recipe..:)

Thanks soo much Nithya..perhaps you should try making once more..Even though not much flaky,they'll be really tasty..:)

Yasmeen,Tanks for the link,I did check it out..awesome..:)..As about the bars,you might have skipped a mail from them asking about this..:)

Tina..pettennu undakki nokennee..:p

Cham,Thanks so much..share more recipes like this dear..:)

Ann..that was so nice of u to share the links..I had a research..:D

Thanks Shama..

Navita,yeah yasmeen just showed it to me..still waiting for ur version..:).quacker bars were only for Us pple da..

Hemakka...try make them soon..kids will love it..:)

Vidhas,Glad to know that I have company there..he he..yeah..baking powder will be a nice substitute..Thanks dear..:)

Uj said...

Kerala parota is the recipe that I have been eying on for quite some time..

MONONOKE KITCHEN said...

Hello, you have a lovely blog here, congrats! If you want me to translate one of my recipes, I'd be glad to! Thank you very much for visiting me!

Happy cook said...

Butter chicken looks delicious.
FOr me also it was difficult to roll so i sued my fingers :-)

Sig said...

For someone who didn't know what to write when starting this post, you sure have done a great job here Varsha. :)
I love kerala porottas, haven't had one in ages, and I am too lazy to make it myself anyway.

Andhra Flavors said...

that looks wonderful. what a great combination.

Preety said...

love the combination

viki xavier said...

What a combo, we people cannot stop thinking of our native parottas... yummy. Nothing can beat this combination:)

AnuSriram said...

Parottas are my favourite too... Looks lovely!

Sanghi said...

Varsha, Have been on a long vacation, so missed you. U have a very colourful blog, the dishes are simply superb, loved reading ur recipies. Do pick my award for you from my blog...!:)

Superchef said...

heyy...im making this for dinner today :) will let you know how it came out!

Sharmilee! :) said...

First time here and am sure to visit often :)
Butter Chicken looks yummy.....wish I could try it out soon!

Anonymous said...

It was rather interesting for me to read the post. Thanks for it. I like such topics and everything that is connected to this matter. I definitely want to read a bit more soon.

Anonymous said...

It is certainly interesting for me to read this post. Thanks for it. I like such themes and anything connected to them. I would like to read more soon.

Anonymous said...

It is extremely interesting for me to read the blog. Thanks for it. I like such themes and everything that is connected to this matter. I would like to read more soon.

Anonymous said...

Cool article you got here. It would be great to read something more concerning that topic. Thnx for giving this material.

Anonymous said...

Can you please tell me where I can get the fresh cream?

varietyislifesspice said...

i made this a couple of times...very yummy :)

 
Creative Commons License
Will-O'-the-Wisp is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
.