Thursday, January 8, 2009

A Healthy Veg-Cheese-Egg Toast Sandwich..

For all my readers who have been probing me to put some veggie post here plus to convince myself that I am not a full carnivorous and do gulp in some healthy veg foods at time,am posting this.Now you are welcome to ask me,"how come egg comes under the Veggie label..?"..lol..But I have a very sweet excuse that eggs can be skipped for this sandwich ,if u like it that way and substitute with more veggies topped with some broccoli sprouts and similar stuffs..n ofcourse,I know many of you don't mind having some egg..;)..Ok..now I have some veg recipes in hand,but this time I felt like posting this sandwich..Simply a gut feeling..A liking..

But honestly speaking,I was in so much of hurry last day morning and was fixing up something for breakfast in my full form/speed.My wrong-time dream took an unexpected development(rather precarious one..) and obviously It took me a bit long to realize that its already morning and my better half is up and I have to attain my super speed now..So I fixed up this healthy quick sandwich.Later thinking about it,I got many more ideas like,I could have topped it with some sprouts and all..But at the eleventh hour ,I was too much bothered to think about it..n aint I darn good,to dug out quite some time to take a few snaps of my sandwich,when he was waiting for me to have breakfast together and when I was hungry enough to eat a whole big elephant..:D

So this is the sandwich.You can mix n match veggies/eggs/chicken anything.One thing I must say is that ,I am in total love with Laughing Cow Cheese.Lately,I am into this habit of collecting and indulging in cheeses and by far this is the best.Super creamy and delicious.I can eat a whole pack in 1 sit.I used French Bread with Rosemary and Olive oil for the Sandwich and it sure had a quality taste..I guess you wont get to see much of the bright veggie colors here,as I had chopped it really fine(already we get chopped veggie packs here,slices are lengthwise,so I again cut it),and the eggs really covered it,n for those who are really worried about calories and fat,Chill..Laughing cow has less calories as compared to many others and as you might know,Feta is really low fat and its South Beach diet friendly too.Also use low fat mayonnaise and you are all healthy to go..:)





Ingredients

8 Whole Wheat Bread Slices(4 Sandwiches)

2 Eggs

2 Tbsp Milk

1/2 cup chopped Onions

4-5 Green Chillies chopped

1/2 tsp chopped Garlic

1/2 Cup chopped mixed Veggies(Carrot,Broccoli,spinach etc)

2-3 tsp Butter

4 tsp Laughing Cow Cheese

2 tsp Low Fat Crumbled Feta Cheese

1-2 tsp Low Fat Mayonnaise

Salt,Pepper for seasoning







Method

Spread the bread slices with butter and toast it in oven for 5 minutes or till crisp .

Beat the egg with milk till frothy.

Meanwhile,in a pan,Pour some EVOO.

Saute Onions,green chillies and garlic.

When the onions are pink and raw smell of garlic is gone,add the mixed veggies and saute again.

When the veggies get soft add the beaten egg and poach well.

Season with little salt(Feta cheese is enough salty) and pepper.

Switch off the heat and add the crumbled Feta Cheese and mix well with the egg-veggie base.

Transfer the contents to a bowl add the
Mayonnaise and mix everything well.

Spread on a toasted slice Laughing Cow Cheese and spread the mix over it.
Drip some sauce of your choice over the mix.Cover with another slice.

You can add chopped cilantro/basil/mint leaves also to the mix(I have'nt added any as I don't like the taste of it in Sandwich).

..and this goes to WBB event hosted by Raaga and Bread Mania event hosted by Sindhura of Bayleaf

StumbleUpon

11 Luv'ly people shared their views..:

anudivya said...

Hmm nice! Thanks for posting a veggie or rather eggy dish... I love eggs and cheese and I would love to make these...

Ann said...

thats yummy varsha..

rekhas kitchen said...

Thank s varsha for your sweet comment in my blog nice to see you in my place you have anice place and mouth watering recipes and hummm love the egg and cheese toast hummmmm but for me eggs are not vegetarian!!! that s my fealing

sowmya said...

looks delicious..love the picture..very tempting..

Shama Nagarajan said...

varsha....bit busy with my crafts work...do check my handicrafts blog...join in the event....pass ur suggestions.......sandwiches are my favourite ones...with bread toasted in garlic butter....yours is inviting........yummy

veena said...

Hi Varsha ..
lovely sandwich...yummmy.....

DEESHA said...

nice recipe, makes a lovely breakfast

Happy cook said...

This is really a helthy and delicious item for anytime of the day.
I always love your carnovorous dishes :-)

Yasmeen said...

Love the crusty sandwich with hearty filling.I'm always on look for low fat cheese varieties,the crumbly feta is perfect in sandwiches.The Lcow cheese in its cute individual wraps is such a tasty delight:)

Adlak's tiny world said...

Ayoda veg ku vannu ippo nee... thank u. inviting pic, perfect for break fast/eve snacks.. love it.

Varsha Vipins said...

Divya,..Thanks to you to..:)

Thanks Ann..:)

Rekha..Thanks for dropping by ..n I did tell in the post that eggs can be replaced with veggies..:)..So do give a try..

Thanks Sowmya,.:)

Shama..Thanks for peeping in amidst of your busy times..:)

Thanks Veena..:)

Thanx Deesha..:)

Thanks Happy..Il post soon..:)

Yasmeen..yeah rally those r cuties n darn tasty too.:)

Akka..veegies will be coming soon..:)

 
Creative Commons License
Will-O'-the-Wisp is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
.