Monday, January 12, 2009

Creamy Mushroom Peas Masala..


I am back with a full fledged Vegetarian dish..n that too a delicious one.I guess most of you might have heard about n tried this dish in your own style ,as this is a name heard quite common.Its not always ,I would indulge in such sinfully tasty dishes,with loads of butter and cream in it.But its ok to let go once in a while,rite..:P..

Snow had enough for the season I guess and now its back to square one..All raining n dull n gloomy.I was so happy to hear y'day about A.R Rahman winning the Golden Globe Award.I am a hard core fan of him.Really reproachful about missing Slum Dog Millionaire when it had shows here..Now waiting for the DVD..Saw the song y'day,and as usual,impeccable and worth any diamond globe..Kudos to Rahman..!!

So ..back to the foodie talk..I always used to notice these cute boxes of mushrooms in mall,but never really gave it a thought of buying it and dishing out something.Dunno..I was kind of partial to it,since long..when I was a kid, had heard about poisnous mushrooms and all..So that caused to generate an inedible feel for mushrooms.Back at my home also,mom never bought it.But lately,I was seeing too many mushroom recipes everywhere and that prompted me to finally give it a push.As a precautionary measure,I bought only a small box.'cos,even Kutts had'nt had it ever.So din't want to waste it all.I thought of preparing it in the most tasteful way,even if it took a lil' effort n to add some peas..'cos that's one thing I really love to have..Something like Paneer butter Masala was in my mind and I ended up with this.It was really tasty and made a great combo with Hot Chapathi's.(Only I misjudged my usual somber green chillies this time,and it turned out to be super hot..:D).We had it with "Puttu" also the next day and that was even more great ,cos of the sweet coconut flakes - hot curry combination.



Ingredients

1/2 -3/4 cup chopped Mushrooms

1/4 cup half cooked Green Peas

2 cups sliced Onions

1 medium sized Tomato

5-6 Green Chillies

1 inch long Cinnamon stick

3 Cloves

2 Cardamoms

1- 1.5 tsp Chilli Powder

1/2 tsp Coriander Powder

1 tsp Garam Masala (cinnamon,cloves,cardamom,Star anise)

1 tsp Fennel seeds

1/2 cup thick/thin Cream (I used thin whipped up cream)

Curry leaves

Cilantro Leaves

Salt

Butter as needed

Oil





Method

Heat butter(Use as you like,butter alone or butter plus oil ,as I did.But former method gives more taste) in a pan.Add curry leaves followed by whole spices.Saute till the fragrance spreads.

Now add the ginger and garlic pastes.Saute till the raw smell goes.

Now add the fennel seeds followed by chopped onions and slitted green chillies and saute continuously until its mushy.

Now you can do it in either of two ways..You can blend the whole thing in a mixer or you can do as I did.I removed half of the onions and 2-3 green chillies and the whole spices,kept aside and blended the remaining mix.I did this way because,I love to munch the onions and green chillies and also wanted to keep the whole spices as such.Also blending the whole thing considerably reduces the amount of the gravy.

After blending into a fine paste,bring it back to the pan and mix with the remaining onions,chillies and whole spices.Saute well,till it is browned.

Now puree the tomato and pour it into the onion base.Saute well to mix.

Add chilli,coriander powders and half of the garam masala and mix well.

Now add the half cooked peas and also mushrooms into the gravy.Close the pan and let the veggies cook under low heat.

When you open the pan ,you will have a thick gravy with all the cooked veggies
.Adjust Salt.

Thicken the gravy as needed and pour cream on top.

Sprinkle rest of the Garam masala on top and mix well.

Garnish with cilantro leaves.

Add a wee bit of butter before serving to add to flavor ..:)





Check out the Healthy Whole wheat Naan n Mashed Tofu Butter Masala recipe down here:




Don't forget to send in your entrees for RFRU Event-Desserts StumbleUpon

17 Luv'ly people shared their views..:

anudivya said...

Hey! Another veggie dish! :)
And they still have shows of Slumdog Millionaire at "Bella Botega" (check fandango.com)in Redmond if you still want to see it. It is pretty close to your place.

Preety said...

hey i use mushrooms in pizzas, pastas, crepes but never made any sabji out of it..will give your recipe try sometime..

Ann said...

hmmm...thats yummy for a season like this..

sowmya said...

wow..looks yummy..am drooling here..

Uj said...

Varsha... I love mushrooms.. Curry looks yummy... Would love to have it with fluffy Phulka's anytime :)

Arundhuti said...

we make mushrooms at home pretty often...this recipe will come handy...thanks for sharing it varsha

Happy cook said...

I love mushroome and this mushroom and pea curry lokks creamy delicious.

Shama Nagarajan said...

looking delicious varsha...happy pongal

Priti said...

Looks yum...though I don't like mushroom ...hmm perhaps shall recipe it with something else ;)

veena said...

hi da ..
its so yummy ..

aquadaze said...

Oh I just love mushroom and peas combo. First time here, tho I have seen you around here n there!

Vibaas said...

looks yummy. hey you've changed your profile pic. very cute :)

Indhu said...

yummy dish :)
will be excellent with hot rotis!

Priya said...

Looks yummy n delicious..would love to have rite now...

Varsha Vipins said...

Thanks Divya,for letting me know..

Try and lemme know Preeti..

Thanks Sowmya..

Thanks Ann..

Thanks Ujwal..

Thanks Arundhuthi..Do give it a try ..

Thanks Happy..

Thanks Shama..Pongal Wishes to you too..

Thanks Priti..Mushrooms are good..You can try with Paneer or Tofu as well..

Thanks Veena dear..

Thanks aquadaze for dropping by..

Thanks Vibaas..Glad to hear the comment..:p

Thanks Indhu..

Thanks Priya..:)

Viki Xavier. said...

Yummy subzi varsha. Good for this season.

Neha said...

I once tried mushrooms in a curry called achari mushroom, but it was a flop.. , now thinking should try urs recipe..

 
Creative Commons License
Will-O'-the-Wisp is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
.