Sunday, December 7, 2008

Spicy Egg Roast..(Nadan Mutta Curry)


Egg has always been my passion since I were a kid.I can even say that I am an Eggetarian.,but strangely I have not put any egg recipes here till now..hmm...I still remember how me n my lil bro used to fight regularly at dinner time,for the egg omlette.It's like we were probably having omlette regularly for every dinner,from since, God-knows-when.But still when the time comes,we fight fiercely with all might for it and complains that mom has shown partaility to the other one..phew..!!!..n how she managed with we two fussy kids,who had always something up their sleeves..poor mom..:D

So I was talking about egg,I love it any form.My comfort food is rice,some buttermilk and an omlette.I always used to blabber pompously at home,that I can sustain in situation,as eggs are very cheap.:D:D..My favourite form of egg is the simple omlette.Chop some onions and chillies and tomatoes,pop in the egg,sprinkle some salt and pepper powder,beat,pour on pan,n voila ..!! u get the best food on earth..:).But this is too simple for a blog post.So am gonna tell u something about the "nadan",simple,rustic and authentic spicy curry that you get to eye hungrily in our good old "Thattukada's"(Fast food Street shops ),not that they are too complex.I know almost all of you are more than familiar with it.But its always a pleasure to share with you all,something I really love to prepare and have..:).When there is no time and mood for an elaborate dinner,I make this dish and we have it with Chapathi's..:)

So this dish make an awesome combo with Roti's,Chapathi's,Porotta's and what not.But the best is with "Appam"..The lacy frilled white rice cake with this blackened roast dish is a real feast for eyes and tongue..mmhhh..I love this one.Super simple and also can be made in lotsa varieties that fit your mood and craving.I once even fixed it up with some Tofu,that turned out to be so scrumptious.Alas,I don't have a nice pic of it,was too hungry then.Here am in for the simplest and most basic version which is adorned by lotsa spices and as usual for my recipes,lots n lots of curry leaves..:)





NB: Adjust the spice level,mine is always too high..:)

Ingredients


Egg 2 Nos:
Onions Sliced 2 cups
Tomatoes 1 large or 2 medium sized ones (More if you like it tangy)
Slit green Chillies 2
Fresh Ginger Garlic Paste 1 Tbsp
Chilli Powder 2 tsp
Coriander Powder 2.5 tsp
Turmeric Powder 1/2 tsp
Pepper Powder 1 tsp
Garama Masala(Powder of cinnamon,cloves,cardamom,star anise) 1/2+1/4 tsp
Mustard Seeds 1/2 tsp
Fennel seeds 1/2 tsp

Curry Leaves A lot
cilantro

Salt
Oil


Boil the eggs,remove the shell,cut into halves,make some nice thin slits and keep aside .

In a pan,heat oil ,pop in fennel n mustard seeds and after few seconds add all the curry leaves,saute and smear it all over the pan.
Once the lovely fragrance comes add the g-g paste and saute.
Once the raw smell goes away,add Onions and chillies and saute till ,they are really soft .
Now add the tomatoes and saute again,till the whole thing goes mushy.Now its time to add the chilli,turmeric,coriander,half of garam masala powder.
You can either make a paste of it and add ,or after adding the powders to pan,pour some water and saute so that the spices gets evenly coated on the base mix.
Now add pepper powder and saute again nicely.Finally sprinkle the rest of garam masala powder on top.
You can make the roast as dry as u wish.But the time when some water is left in the pan ,add the slitted eggs,cover it with gravy,and lower the heat,close and let it remain so until the desired dryness is attained.
Mash some fresh curry leaves in coconut oil n sprinkle on top.
Sprinkle chopped cilantro too if u like..
Close the pan,till the time you use it,so that u have the flavor trapped..:)

For all my veggie friends out there,who love spicy curries,this recipe minus egg also tastes superb..


Do let me know how you love to have your egg and how this one is..:)
Happy Sunday..!! StumbleUpon

9 Luv'ly people shared their views..:

anudivya said...

This has got to taste good... the curry leaves add a nice touch to all Indian dishes, esp the Southern ones.

Seena said...

I join with u to eat eggs, who will win?
love this spicy version.. :)

Kitchen Flavours said...

Really a spicy looking roast.

Happy cook said...

Wow i love this egg roast it looks so delicius? I would love these with apoms.
When i was younger i didn't like eggs at all, when my mom made egg curry i just ate the sauce etc..... i only started enjoying eggs when i was a teenager.

sherlock holmes said...

your little bro here........it looks tasty and intersting......if i ws thr,i would nt have given time to take poto.....

Malar Gandhi said...

Looks super spicy to me....luv this roast, make it often....

Varsha Vipins said...

Anu,..That's why I love curry leaves..:)
Seena,mmm..Most probably it'll be me only dear..:D:D:D
Thanks Kitchen Flavours
Happy,So you got some extra miles to go than us,before cholesterol gets you...:D
Mr: Holmes,Love you for that comment..:)
Malar,Thanks for that lovely comment dear..:)

Usha said...

With the combination of spices you have used, I bet this tastes pretty yum :-)

KF said...

Appam and Egg Roast is a super combo!! Urs Looks so Yummy!! I will try ur version once.
Love
KF

 
Creative Commons License
Will-O'-the-Wisp is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
.