Sunday, December 28, 2008

Pineapple-Munthiri Pachadi..(Pineapple and Grapes in a Coconut-Yoghurt gravy)

Hope you all are enjoying your Holidays out there.Here,winter is starting to recede slowly and most of the snow has melted.We decided to enjoy the beauty of Seattle this time and lazily postponed trips to next Hol's.I am getting more lazier and gets up late than usual.Our days begin at 11 and ends at 12.:p.Saw a lot of movies these days..Loved Forrest Gump and absoultely fell for Tom Hanks,err..not that "fell"..He s a genius.Then today we saw this movie The other side of Heaven,which sucked by the way..

Ok..So we were having a lot of Non-veg for past few days,excused in the name of X'mas.Lord knows,how many pounds might I have got as X'mas gift...:D..nyways I dont care much about it now as my BMI is still on safe 20.( I have become lil wight consicous after going through Sig's Southe Beach Diet posts..:D) So we have decided to balance it up with some healthy yet tasty veggie dishes.This is my fav veggie dish and its a real authentic Kerala dish served during Marriage Sadya's(feast),where you get a real feast for both eyes and tongue.An absolute gastronomical delight,a number of colorful and yummy dishes served on one side of the plantain leaf,opposite to a heap of brown rice on the other side.For me,this is one of my favorite dish.I love to have the grapes from the gravy and sometimes,I take mom's share of grapes too from the curry.I always make it with some Sambar as it tastes best with a spicy main curry.Its sweet and slightly sour and for me a nostalgia-evoking dish..:)

I was out of stock with my Yogurt ,else this dish have a thick creamy texture as well..:)




Ingredients

2 cups Pineapple cubed
A handful,10-12 Red/Black Grapes
4 Big Green Chillies
1 tsp Turmeric Powder
4-5 Curry Leaves
3 Tbsp Yoghurt

For Grinding:

1-1.5 cup Fresh Grated coconut
5 Big Green Chillies (as per you need the spiciness)
A lil more than 1/4 tsp Cumin Seeds

2 pinches of Mustard seeds (optional)
5 Curry Leaves


For Tempering

1-1.5 tsp Mustard seeds
1/2 tsp Fenugreek Seeds
10-12 Curry leaves
3 Dried Red Chilli

coconut Oil
Salt




Take some water in a deep bottomed pan and cook Pineapple chunks with green Chillies, Curry leaves, turmeric powder and salt.

Boil it nicely and then reduce the heat and keep the pan closed and cook it.After some 15-20 minutes,see if the pineapple has become soft and mashable.

If not run it once in a mixie and return it back to the pan.

Now add some more water,if it has dried up a lot and add the grapes(If the grapes are too hard,pierce it with a pin before putting it into gravy)

Mix it and once you see the grapes getting soft spreading into the gravy(If you overcook the grapes,it'll loose its color),add the mix under the grinding list into the pan,reduce heat,and bring it to a slow boil.Adjust the salt.

Now reduce the heat and add beaten yogurt and heat it,but don't let it boil.

Take the pan out of heat and temper with the ingredients mentioned under Tempering list.


Don't it look lovely..??..So go on and give it a try dears..:)
StumbleUpon

11 Luv'ly people shared their views..:

Nags said...

I love this in a sadya :)

Ann said...

Varsha,laziness too is good at times..and,Forest Gump is among my fav movies too..
Your munthiri pachadi is definitely a yummy dish,almost all love !!

Yasmeen said...

Weather is such it does make us lazy.I admire the acting skills of tom hanks,but I've no time to watch any movies with 2 little boys to take care of.I usually end up watching kiddie cartoons.
That's a unique gravy with fruits,looks apt for a feast.

Viki Xavier. said...

Pineapple pachadi is very new to me but seems delicious. I will definitely try this and tell u. wish u and family a prosperous and happy New Year dear.

Adlak's tiny world said...

simply superb and mouthwatering pachadi....

Usha said...

This pachadi looks delicious, unique combination for sure...glad you enjoyed your holidays :-)

anudivya said...

Hey, is this the one you were telling me about the other day? Sounds amazing Varsha...
Happy New Year girl!

Shama Nagarajan said...

wow...different one...lovely colour

Malar Gandhi said...

Hey Varsha, very colorful pachadi....new combo, sounds interesting, wish to try this recipe in future.....will let u know, how it turned out to me,

Varsha Vipins said...

Thanks Nags..I am crazy abt this..

Yup Ann..but laziness is starting to take over me now..Oh..One cheer for Tom Hanks..:P

Yasmeen..I think 2 cute kiddies will do good for any Tom Hanks..:)..Glad you liked the curry..

Viki..You should try this and same to u dear..:)

Thanks Akka..:)

Usha,Hope you too had a grt time..:)

Divya..Yup gal..the same thing..:)..n thanx for the wishes..same to u..:)

Shama..Thanx..:)

Malar..you'll love it for sure..:)

John Socrates Loyola said...

I'd love to try it. Very interesting. Thanks for the tips. For reliable references about grapes and grape growing, visit here: http://goinggrapes.com/

 
Creative Commons License
Will-O'-the-Wisp is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
.