Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Nadan "ThattuKada" Beef Roast(Nadan Beef Ularthiyathu - An Authentic Beef Dish in a flavorful spice blend

I guess you all are now set for the grand New Year bash..:)..May you all have a wonderful,blessed year ahead..:)

Yes,As you can see I am going to post for the first time in my blog,a Beef recipe.I was rather hostile towards Beef,not because I don't like it,Of course its one of ma favorites,but because,Kutts is reluctant towards Beef.For the first time in his life,he had some of it when I cooked.But that was just to show his love and encouragement for my cooking.So,even though I absolutely love it,I don't bring it much to my kitchen,except once in a blue-moon,when my craving becomes intolerable.That too,very little amount,that I finish in one meal.

For my Non-Keralite friends,"Ularthiyathu" is a nadan term for roasting a dish,an Authentic Kerala style preparation,made much famous by Kottayam(A small district) Christian Families and "ThattuKada" means the small,temporary food stalls seen on road-sides,which are constant sources of divine,irresistible fragrances.They are more active after evenings and always attract a lot of crowd with what I mentioned above.

Since I was a kid,my whole family(excluding my mom) have put Beef in top of their fav Non-veg list rather than Chicken.We all feel that Beef is more tastier and juicy than any other meat.But due to Cholestrol probs of dad,red meat consumption was strictly reduced at home,at a later times and even I made it a point to note how much my dad takes in of it.But whateva,its totally tasty and there are plentiful recipes of it,each better than the other.My bro is also a great fan n whenever we took out from restaurants,he always went with Beef roast.

The smell of Thattukada Beef roast is such a torture to any hungry soul.Its makes the whole air sinfully divine with the multitude of spices blended in it.Whenever we used to pass by it,me n my bro would be like all sniffing..:D..But due to many reasons like cleanliness and all,dad n mom never helped us there.Even I was like jaw-dropped when I saw the amount of oil,they pour into the big Kadai,making me also say a no-no to bro.

Later when we found out the same flavor and taste in our fav restaurant,we were all happy.And then years later,when the cook in me took charge,I found out that the recipe is relatively simple.Its 3 things that makes it most yummy.CoconutOil,Curry leaves and spices.So last day I had with me almost 1/2 lbs of beef,with which I made this slurpyy dish,and here I am with it to share with you all,the real one thing that can surely be put in top of the list-Taste of Kerala..:)




PS: I have bought a new set of measuring spoons.So from now onwards,I'll try to be more precise with the amount.

Ingredients

Section 1

1 lbs Beef cubed
1/2 tsp Turmeric powder

1/2 tsp chilli powder

2 cloves garlic and 1 inch ginger minced
1/2 tsp Pepper powder

1/2 tsp Vinegar Salt

Section 2

Curry Leaves - A lot
Cloves - 3 Nos
Cardamom - 2 Nos
Cinnamon Stick - 1 inch

Pepper Corns crushed - 1 tsp

Section 3

2-3 Cups thinly sliced Onions
1 cup chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp Ginger+1 tbsp Garlic chopped and groundcoarsely
8-10 pieces of Coconut Slices
5-6 Green Chillies
1 Tbsp Chilli Powder
3/4 Tbsp Coriander Powder

1/4 tsp Pepper Powder (optional)
1 tsp Garam Masala Powder(Cloves,Cinnamon,Cardamom)

Coconut Oil
Salt

cilantro
2 pinch Sugar




Mix ,marinate and Cook beef with all the ingredients under Section 1.In cooker it takes about 15 minutes.Reduce the size of chunks and you can save time.

Now take a pan,Pour some Coconut oil(If u want the real authentic taste,else any other will do).

Add a lot of Curry leaves and saute well,smear the whole pan.

Now,add the whole spices under Section 2 and fry well.

After the fragrance comes,add the ginger and garlic shreds and fry till raw smell goes.

Now add the Coconut slice and fry till it changes color.

Immediately add the Onions and green chillies.Saute till its pink.

Add the tomato cubes and mix well.

Now add all the masala's under Section 3 and saute well.Add oil in between,if its too dry.There is no need to use water anywhere during this preparation.

When all the masala's are blended well,add the cooked beef with all its juices.Mix well, and let it cook until desired dryness attained.

Before switching off,sprinkle a tad of Garam Masala(optional) on the top and mix well again.(I believe ,in hotel they again saute curry leaves in oil and pour it over the gravy for that extra taste.But I have skipped that step)

Sprinkle the sugar all over the gravy,also cilantro ,mix and close the pan until use...

StumbleUpon

11 Luv'ly people shared their views..:

Ann said...

Varsha,for anyone who tasted the divine beef fry or roast or even delicious curry,it can be a fav easily..Even am keeping the same away from kitchen amap.Since this healthy habits have creeped in,most of the oldie favs are almost out.But why do you tempt me yaar ?

Shama Nagarajan said...

yummy recipe........lovely......happy new year

Tina said...

I'm completely out of touch with the blog world for quite some days now due to the holidays and some nag in my laptop... but I couldn't resist reading ur article on the Naadan Thattukada Beef Roast... how it brings wonderful memories... anyways, pretty good post....!! Wish you a prosperous Happy New Year...

Adlak's tiny world said...

Very Happy New year Varsha... hope this is your first newy year after marriage right?!....

Priya said...

Happy new year Varsha...Have blast dear...Beeffry looks delicious..

yasmeen said...

Spicy beef curry,we never ate beef in India,but after coming to US its our regular meat.Have a wonderful and healthy new year:)

Usha said...

Hey Varsha, wish you and your family a very happy new year :-)

Varsha Vipins said...

Ann..join the club ..:)..I love tempting pple..haha..:D

Thanks Shama..:)

Tina kutty..control vittennu thonnanu..:D

Yup Akka..!st new year

Thanks priya..:)

yasmeen,Glad to know that u also like beef..but regualr consumption can be bad i guess.

Thanks Usha..:)
N finally a big Thanks to all hu wished me n I wish the same for you all..:)

Seena said...

Varsha, thattukada kandappol nere click cheythingottu ponnu, enna parayana.. super! :)

Varsha Vipins said...

Seena dear..Thanks..:)..ishtayalle..:)

Arfeen said...

Dear Varsha..
I have the habit of browsing cookery sites when i am in peak hunger and itz been a short while since i came accross yours ...
This is a wonderful blog with superb photographs and yummy n tempting receipes.
Today i tried your Beef Thattukada and it came out so well.. My hubby and i loved it and it brought back the real authentic taste which we too miss a lot ...

 
Creative Commons License
Will-O'-the-Wisp is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
.