Monday, December 22, 2008

Egg Puffs..:)



My day is going on lazily.I had made some Crab dish and cabbage for dinner yesterday,and had kept the rest for today's lunch.So ,was pretty laid back and enjoyed a movie,hugging my teddy pillow.Snow is still strong here and looks like its to stay.So we both are seeing more of inside home,sighing at our rice stock,wondering when we'll be able to go n buy some.Days are spent on DVD's now,n we bought a bunch from BlockBusters last time.So,yesterday we saw this movie,"Happening" of Manoj Night Syamalan.Pretty creepy movie,but still a class one.Had lot of those typical gross scenes,where I was like clawing on Kutts' hand..:D..But still,It was good movie,with a great directional style,not that impeccable,as we would expect from him,though.


I am in for some seasonal dishes these days.Something which is perfect for the season.Hot cutlets,fritters..etc..While watching films,we always have a cuppa hot coffee,with some wonderful snacks on side,n my favourite is some Hot puffs.Filling of chicken or egg is good for me.But I simply love that outer soft puffs skin.It smells heaven and taste is out of the world for me,when paired with some hot coffee,these days.
So here goes the simple recipe..:)

Ingredients (5 pieces)

Puff Pastry sheet - 1 layer(consists of a big rectangular shaped piece which can be cut into 3 rectangular pieces)

For Filling(Anything u like,I go with an egg one this time)

Boiled eggs halved - 5-6 halves (depends on how you cut your sheets)
Onions- 1 cup sliced
Fresh Ginger-garlic paste - 1 Tbsp
Pepper Powder - 1 Tsp
Chilli Powder - 1 tsp
Garam Masala - 3/4 Tsp
Egg wash(egg beaten with a tsp of water )
Salt


For the filling,Pour oil in a pan and add curry leaves.Once that nice fragrance comes,add the onions and g-g paste and saute well with some salt.After few minutes add all the powders and mix well till masala is cooked n oil appears on sides.The base mixture is ready now. Put the egg halves into it and cover it with the gravy ,without breaking it and keep it aside closed for sometime.

Thaw the frozen sheet for 30 minutes and unroll it on a lightly floured surface.Cut lengthwise to get 3 rectangular pieces.Cut 1st and 2nd piece into 3.Elongate the third piece with a rolling pin and cut it into 4.Now take a cut piece n put the mix on it with halved egg piece.Take another cut piece and place on top it.Seal the edges with water/egg wash.Now brush beaten egg on top of it..Like wise do with each cut,and you'll get 5 puffs.

You can elongate the pastry sheets,without breaking it , and make any number of puffs according to your requirement.Preheat the oven to 400 F.Place puffs on baking pan and bake for 15 minutes.You'll get soft yet crispy puffs with golden brown tops and lovely fragrance.



I am sending this Egg puffs and also the following to
Srilekha's Savouries event (CLick on pics for the recipe)




StumbleUpon

12 Luv'ly people shared their views..:

anudivya said...

I make these all the time, and one of my favs!

Uj said...

Varsha,
They look delicious. I dont get pastry sheets here. Looks like its time for me to make some at home :(

Vibaas said...

Varsha, thanks for stopping by my blog and your lovely comment. you have a nice blog too.

I dont eat eggs, but i can try this for my kids.

Vibaas said...

Btw, i noticed that you are an Arien too and like me you have converted your blog to a food blog and i'm in a habit of eyeballing the quantities too and i find it difficult to write the recipes because of it :)

Kitchen Flavours said...

Wow comforting snack. Looks yummy.

Ann said...

this is one of my fav snack Varsha.I still have the same in my drafts,which i couldnt post till date..very lovely presentation

SriLekha said...

really it looks lovely and crispy!
join in the savory event going in my blog!

veena said...

Hi Varsha ..
Egg puffs looks perfect and ymmy ...
love
veena

veena said...

Hi Varsha ..
Puffs looks yummy and perfect ..nice work..
love
veena

Sig said...

I won't be able to have puffs anytime soon..sigh... These look delicious!
Happy holidays to you Varsha! Enjoy the snow while it lasts... :)

Varsha Vipins said...

Divya..Same pitch..:)

Ujwal..Thanx for dropping by and yeah..u should make it sometime soon..pretty slurpyy..:D

Vibaas, your kids gonna love it for sure.:).n Happy to meet an Arien with a lot of similarities..:D
Thanx a lot dear Lubna

Ann,waiting for your version dear..:)

Thanx Srilekha n Veena..;)

Sig..Let it be so for the good thing to happen..Happy to see u here..:)

Divya Kudua said...

Egg puffs look delicious...I am lucky to have some puff pastry sheets inside the freezer,got them after a long wait[its not available in India] am planning to make this soon!!

 
Creative Commons License
Will-O'-the-Wisp is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
.