Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Dry Prawns in a Tangy Coconut-Drumstick Gravy..(Onakka Chemmen Manga-Muringakka-Vellarikka Ittathu)

It's been dull here since past couple of days.But we Seattle people are used to this weather all through out the year.If some day sun peeps out ,then it is like a festive mood all around.All bright and gay..Now outside it's so gloomy and cold..I love to have some hot,spicy food in times like this.A steamy,spicy main curry with white fluffy rice and some fries..woah..!!.
But sadly,I get lazy most of the noons,and try to cook up some easy dishes.These days,I sleep late,as work is getting more hectic.So naturally I open my eyes with, a sorry feeling that its already morning,some big yawns,and clung on dearly to my comforter trying to get another wink for a couple of minutes or so.That slumbering will be there for sometime and after he leaves for office,I sit with laptop,blog-hopping,musing at TV in between.Time goes fast and then its suddenly 12 O' clock and I rush to kitchen and fix up something fast.I have this serious confusion as to what to make as main curry for rice.I can only think of some 2-3 dishes as main curry,like Sambar which I like the most or some yogurt-coconut mix based curriesAll others are either too complex for my quick fixes or one of us wouldn't like it.But this one ,we both like so much.This is medium spicy,but the gravy is really tasty and goes yummy with hot white rice n yogurt.My MIL had packed up 1 big packet full of dry prawns ,for our last trip,and so sometimes I use it this way or I make fries.But I love this the most ,its thick spicy Coconut gravy with that subtle yet wonderful flavour of Dry Prawns..:)





Ingredients


Dry Prawns 1 cup
DrumSticks 2 medium sized:
Tomato 1 No:
Cuccumber(vellarikka) cubed 1/2 cup
Tamarind extract 2-3 Tbspoon(depending on the sourness of tomatoes) / Sour Mango pieces -1-2
Turmeric Powder 1 Tsp
Green Chillies 2 Nos:
Red Chilli Powder 1 Tsp
Pepper Powder 1/2 Tsp

For Grinding:

Fresh Shreddred Coconut 1/2 cup
Cumin Seeds 1/2 Tsp
Mustard Seeds 1 Tsp
Green Chillies 3-4 Nos:


For Tempering:

Dry red Chillies 3 Nos:
Mustard seeds 1 Tsp
Fenugreek Seeds 1/2 Tsp
Curry Leaves A lot
Oil
Salt



Take a pan and cook washed,cleaned dry prawns with drumsticks,cuccumber and green chillies in little water mixed with Turmeric Powder,Chilli Powder and salt.Once everything is medium cooked and water gets dried a bit,add Tomatoes andTamarind water and let the mix boil.Meanwhile Grind smoothly with water,everything under grinding section.Once the dry prawns mix in Tamarind water is nicely boiled add this coconut paste into it and stir well.Now bring this to a slow boil and sprinkle some pepper powder on top and mix well.Dont let it get into rolling boil,coconut n its sauce will separate,Now heat oil in a pan and temper all the ingredients and pour it into the curry.Close the pan with a lid so as not to lose the flavour until use..:)


You can see my Chilli Prawns also :)
StumbleUpon

4 Luv'ly people shared their views..:

Ann said...

Varsha,thanks for visiting my blog..and i loved your space too yaa..Its amazing that you cook and experiment this much with the business you are having..keep up the energy and enjoy blogging..
btw,this curry is one of my favs,those invokes nostalgia..

Happy cook said...

I love dry prawns. Back at hgome my mom also used to make this dish.
Just looking to that bowl of curry makes me drool.
Delicious

Varsha Vipins said...

Ann,thanks for your kind words..I am not doing any business,just doing some s/w job from home dear..:)
Happy,Thanks for making me happy with your lovely words.This is a nostalgic dish even for me..:)

cool baby clothes said...

This looks lovely and I am sure it tastes as good as it looks. I am going to try and make it this week, but need to work out how to convert from US measures to UK ones.

I am going to bookmark this site and come back when I need good curry reciepes.

This is a really cool blog - i am going to add it to stumble upon as well.

 
Creative Commons License
Will-O'-the-Wisp is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
.