Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Amritsari Fish Finger fry..

Seeing the title,you might get mistaken that I have spent some part of my life in North India.But the truth is,I have never been to Northern part of India in my life.My itinerary stopped when I reached some middle portion of the country,and managed to cope up there for an year or so.yeah..am talking about Pune.When I went there ,succumbing(:D..) to my destiny ,for a job,I was never much amused.I was least in love with anything there starting from geography to food.But later ,I found out ,it's a picturesque place and started slowly liking it.But food was always a problem for me.I got to taste almost all sort of North Indian foods there and didn't easily like any of them.Back in Kerala,I used to like Paneer butter Masala and some spicy stuff like that.But you know,in our place it least ressembles Northi food.They always have some "southi" touch in it..

So I was saying,I had a hard time getting around with the food in Pune,which was always hard-flavored,until I started cooking home.Dishes in office cafeteria had always "Aloo" at front or back of its name..:p..We used to laugh hysterically saying ,someday they'll make "Aloo juice".:D:D..But yet,me and Anju loved Punjabi Dhaba's and made it a point to go there once in a while.I still remember one Dhaba. Its name was quite funny .."Horn OK please"..Even though it looked so shabby from outside,we were amazed to see some posh college students going in,and thought of trying our luck.Inside made us go aghast.It was made like an old film set,with all punjabi stuffs inside,cozy bench type seating's,small cascades,hard cast iron mug-type glasses and plates,and above all mouth-watering cuisines. We had a lot of food that day and was more than happy to munch whole-hearted'ly some real Northi-food..:)
So I had seen this name in the Menu listing there in Starter section,but dint try it.This is a famous street food of Amritsar.Last day I was surfing through my fav Chef Sanjeev Kapoor's site and was delighted to find the authentic recipe.I dint have the main ingredient "ajwain" though.But after a bit of research,I found out that I can replace it safely with some Cumin,on urgent occasions of utmost craving..:D
So here I go with the recipe,adjusted slightly and the courtesy ofcourse goes to Master Chef Sanjeev Kapoor..:)



Ingredients

King Fish or Tilapia or some large Fish fillets - 1 lbs
(I used Mahi Mahi)

Chilli Powder - 2 Tbsp
Pepper powder - 2 tsp
Ginger Paste -1/2 Tbsp
Garlic Paste -1/2 Tbsp
Besan /Gram Flour -2 Tbsp
Ajwain/Cumin Powder - 1/2 tsp
Lemon Juice - 1 Tbsp
Egg - 1 No:
Chat Masala - 1/2 Tsp
Corn Flour - 1 tsp

Oil
Salt


Clean and cut the fish fillets into fingers.Marinate it with all the Ingredients and set aside for an hour,preferably in refrigerator.Heat the oil in a kadai and before frying ,add the beaten egg into the fish fingers.( I got ot know that in some Amritsar dhabas ,they use only egg white..)Fry it a little more than golden brown.serve hot..:)

I have adjusted the amount of Chilli powder,ajwain and chat masala according to my taste.Also I guess in original recipe,Red color is used.But I skipped it also..


This can be either used as a starter or as side dish with Rice..:)

Check Spicy fish fry also:
StumbleUpon

8 Luv'ly people shared their views..:

Happy cook said...

It always take time to get used to a new place,
The fish looks so crunchy and yummy.
I would love to have few pieces from this.

Viki Xavier. said...

Enjoyed reading your memories about Pune:)
Lovely fish fry.

Nags said...

hi varsha, thanks for stopping by my blog. the collage is done using simple html. u can view source for my page and get it from there :)

Shama Nagarajan said...

hai varsha...first time in ur blog......love ur fish fry.my all time fav...

Kitchen Flavours said...

Iam hungry...... Nice post. Love this fish fry.

Anju said...

yyoooo...fish fry...!!!yummyyy...!!!really miss ur non-veg specials :((

get one piece fr me too :((

Varsha Vipins said...

Happy,Thanks for ur sweet words n u r true.time always gels u with situations.
Viki,Happy to know that you liked it.Come around often..:)
Nags,That's so nice of you to let me know..:)
Shama,Thanks,Please be around..
Kitchen Flavors,Thanks for stopping by..:)
Anju dear,always there for you,luv u..:)

Roopa said...

Hi Varsha !! Thanks a lot for visiting my blog :) I see you have a nice collection of recipes here, I loved that write up on Thai food too :) Mashed Tofu sounds an awesome idea:) So are u from kerala? I am a keralite too

 
Creative Commons License
Will-O'-the-Wisp is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
.