Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Homemade easy Masala Dosa..!!

It was a somber afternoon.Sky had a lot of dark clouds with crimson linings.Blowing wind was soft,yet brought goosebumps.A typical "Thula masa"(month famous for heavy rain) twilight.The little girl,with her pony tail dancing behind her and her lil bro',holding on dearly to a choco lollipop was walking on both sides of their mom,thoroughly enjoying the weather and crowd.One of the busiest streets of the town.They had small shopping bags in their hand with their brand new bags ,pencil boxes and water bottles,inside it.Aww..Din't they smell so nice,n the lil' boy even made an attempt of licking the strawberry rubber..:D:D,much to his mom's resentment.lol.So ,they were wading through the crowd,and when they passed by a small building, an irresistible fragrance filled the air.The lil' girl and boy exchanged naughty-greedy glances and both started nudging their mom,saying.. "Mom,can we have a Masala dosa puh-leaseeeeeee.."
Mom knew,she had no chance now,what if the two lil devils started fussing in the middle of a busy road.So she took them to that building,which is none other than the so famous "Indian Coffee House",and the two lil devils..who else other than the great me n ma lil bro..:D

Yes..Indeed very nostalgic.The moment I hear the word Masala dosa,I can only be reminded of Indian coffee house.I bet it's like that for many others too,especially South Indian's.Their whole attire is so crowd pulling.The warm inviting smell ,a combination of hot "Bru" coffee plus Masala Dosa plus Cutlets ,and the cozy yet no- hi-fi interiors,and the cheap rates and many other things make many of us prefer this small cafe than any five star hotel.Our childhood evenings often ended up in this place,where we used to devour on Masala dosa's or cutlets,of course sipping hot coffee.Oh..I can now trade anything to just go back to ma place,n have a M-dosa from there.:((

Ha,I got carried away myself,writing this post...:((..Hmm..So no more serious digressions.I was talking about masala dosa.I have had this yummy treasure filled Dosa from many places.Even in ICH's,the fillings vary from place to place.In some places,masala's will be red in color,as they add beetroot.But in majority places,it'll be a non spicy yellow-brown masala,n I am better off with that one.My mom used to make that dearly for us,on weekend breakfasts..miss it all.:(

Last week,Kutts was craving for some Masala Dosa for breakfast,n he needs Sambar more than chutney to go with it.For us,late wake-up-er's(:D:D..),Its not easy to prep all of this for breakfast(by then,it'l be late noon..:D).So I postponed it for Saturday,n I made Sambar on friday evening.I knew I would'nt be able to recreate the ICH M-dosa,since I don't have that big tawa.but I tried it on ma style,n It came out good..:)



Ingredients

Dosa Batter (For some 6 medium sized dosa's,I guess 4 cups will do)
Ghee

For Masala
Potatoes 1 cup cubed n boiled soft
Onions 1 cup sliced
1tsp ginger julienned

Green chillies 4 no:s sliced
Carrots 1/4 cup sliced
Green Peas 1/4 cup
pepper powder 1 tspoon
Turmeric powder 1/2 Tsp

For tempering

Mustard seeds 1 tspoon
Urad dal 1 Tsp

chana dal 1 tsp
Dry red chillies 2
Curry leaves 6-8
Coriander leaves chopped 1/4 cup (optional)

To prepare the masala.Pour oil in a pan and add mustard seeds.When it starts spluttering add Urad dal.Now add curry leaves and dry red chillies.Saute and smear the leaves all over the pan.Now add Onions and green chillies with turmeric powder and saute till its pink.Add the boiled potatoes and mash well(Microwave the potato cubes for some 10 mins,peas for 3 mins and carrot slices for 5 mins).Once mashed well,add Carrots and peas.Mix everyting well and saute for 5 mins.When evrything is cooked well,sprinkle the pepper powder ,add coriander leaves and saute one final time

Pour Dosa batter on tawa,n sprinkle ghee on the sides(you should smear oil on the tawa before pouring the batter).When dosa is half cooked,just turn it on the other side(I do this just because I don't like masala sticking to batter,can skip this step if u want).Just a few seconds and turn it to other side.On one half of the dosa,carefully arrange the masala and tuck the other half of dosa on top of it.After a few seconds ,turn the whole thing to other side,press lightly on the dosa and smear some ghee on it...:)

I am sending this to Suganya's vegan Ventures round 2..:) and Mansi's Vegetarian Thanksgiving Roundup

StumbleUpon

8 Luv'ly people shared their views..:

Usha said...

Nice post, masala dosai looks delicious...tempting me to make some this week itself :-)

veena said...

Varsha..

masala dosa looks delicious

Happy cook said...

I love masala dosa.

Mansi said...

welcome to the food blogging world Varsha! and thanks for sharing this beautiful masala dosa with us:)

Malar Gandhi said...

I like masala dosa, but rarely make them. First time here, btn you have some interesting recipes, looking forward for more...

anudivya said...

Talk about grey clouds! The notorious Seattle weather! My pics are getting worse everyday...!
Nice masala dosai, I can't seem to get enough of them.
Thanks for visiting my blog, and for the comments.

Nate-n-Annie said...

Annie and I both love dosa. I'm going to try to make some for her. Thanks for posting this!

And thanks for adding us as a friend on Foodbuzz. We welcome you to come visit our site!

Varsha Vipins said...

Thanks a lot Usha,Happy,Mansi ,Malar,divya n Nate n Annie.
Its a real pleasure to read your comments..:)
Pls be around..:)

 
Creative Commons License
Will-O'-the-Wisp is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
.