Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Tomato in a Yoghurt-Coconut gravy Aka Tomato Pachadi..!!








Hi Everyone out there..Again a hibernation period..:p..but this time,not too long one rite.?:)
In this short break,I have prepared and tested so many yummy dishes,most of them being authentic kerala recipes.I'l try post them one by one in blog as time permits.:)
Today, after yet another hectic day in office,I just slumbered into bed as soon as I reached home.Anju would be late,she told and I was in least mood for cooking.After an hour or two,ma stomach started growling n I knew I have not much time left with me before it really starts its strike..lol.So I started thinking of easy dishes I could make with rice n ended up finding a bunch of tomatoes after a devastating hunt in fridge..:D..Ok..Rasam would be today's menu,I thought.After chopping n all,I was left with bit more tomatoes n then I found out another treasure in firdge..Yesterday's Coconut-chilli mixture..Boom..!!Pachadi popped up in ma head...The white yummy cuisine that I get to see during sadya's..amma's special..I tried it with a bit of ma modifications n bingo..It came out superb...!!!We were fighting for it at last..lol

I'll jot down the recipe.Actually I wanna take an advance bail..:p..I prepare things according to ma common sense n usually just "eye ball" the ingredients..n it usually comes out well..So please excuse me about the amount of ingredients..I know that all of you out there are excellent cooks n it won't be a problem at all..Pics are again,not at all good n professional(Time..!!).Excuse me again..:p

Ingredients

Onion - 1 cup finely chopped(optional for this dish)
Garlic - 1 tspoon finely chopped
Tomato - 3 medium sized (diced in small square pieces)
Green chillies - 5-6 big ones (chopped into small rounds)
(optional only if yogurt is not tangy)Tamarind juice-According to your taste( I used one 1-2 tspoons)
yogurt- 1 Cup


For Grinding:

Coconut grated - 1 cup
Cumin seeds- 1/2 tspoon
Green chillies - 4 (sliced in half)
Mustard seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
For Seasoning:

Oil - as needed
Mustard Seeds - 1 Tbspoon
Urud dal - 1 tspoon
Fenugreek seeds- 1 tspoon
Red chillies - 3-4
Curry Leaves - As needed


Preparation:


Heat Oil in a Kadai.Add diced onions and green chillies and garlic chops.Saute well till onions are slightly browned.Then add chopped tomatoes.(optionally you can just boil the onions n tomatoes in water till soft)


In the meantime,grind into a smooth paste,all the ingredients under the grinding section.Add it into the kadai and mix well.After a few minutes of mixing add yogurt.Simmer for a while,dont let the mix boil.


Add salt and tamarind juice (Add if needed only.check taste before adding).mix again.Switch of the stove.


For seasoning,heat oil in pain.Add mustard seeds alnd let it splutter,then add dried red chillies and curry leaves,urud dal n fenugreek in order and saute for a minute or two after reducing the flame.Add this mixture into the kadai and mix well.









< Tasty thakkali pachadi is ready to devour..!!



.Try it and leme know how you liked..:)
PS: Special thanks to srivalli for encouraging me with her nice words..:)
cya all soooon....

cheers..!!!
StumbleUpon

6 Luv'ly people shared their views..:

For The People said...

Sounds great!

Vipins Gopinadhan said...

Wow..Looks great...!!! Let me try this one day..and if it doesn't come up good, then faults are yours!! LOL.. Btw, well written recipe and nice pic... Kool :)

Srivalli said...

Varsha..that pachadi looks yum..seriously you should consider doing this more often!...and its my pleasure...glad you started doing this!

Anju said...

It was really yummyy n u knw we were really fightng fr d dish at d end...keep on experimenting wit new thngs dear n i'll always b tere fr u 2 gv live comments :D :D

Sig said...

What is going on? Someone's getting into the food blogging business, eh? :D That is a yummy looking pachdi...Looking forward to more delicious foodie posts :)

Varsha said...

@ for the people..Thanks so much for dropping by..:)

@ Vipinsettan..Thanx..pinne..u wont get a chance to blame me..cos i know ...lazy boy is not going to take so much of pain for grinding n all..Il make it for you someday..k??:)

@ Srivalli..Thanx dear..You have made me put this..try out sometime n lemme know how u liked it..


@ Anju...Thanx di pattikutii..:P


@ Sig..Ya Sig..so one more rival for you in the field..come on..lets start the battle..:D:D:D..he he..kidding..Sig..do try it n leme know ..k??..n don laugh at ma pics..:D..i know its bad..:(

 
Creative Commons License
Will-O'-the-Wisp is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
.